4140D12E-DC2F-416E-82DE-21FD325A8F8B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0841 (resized).PNG
IMG_0842 (resized).PNG
Castiel (resized).jpg
panamafeet (resized).jpg
IMG_0840 (resized).JPG
buzz-lightyear-to-the-rescue (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #30 @NiftyLED lists the customer's machine for sale on Ebay. Posted by Sticky (6 years ago)

Post #51 Sticky posts more screenshots of messages exchanged with Nifty. Posted by Sticky (6 years ago)

Post #154 @NiftyLED offers to buy the machine for $800. Posted by NiftyLED (6 years ago)

Post #186 Additional screenshots from @Sticky Posted by Sticky (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sticky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 6 years ago

I don't even know what to say about this.

I chose OCpinballrepair/niftyled for some repair and restoration work on my 1978 Bally Playboy based on what I found on pinside about them. We came to terms over two years ago (yes, TWO YEARS) that the restore would cost $1850 cash. It was supposed to take less than six months.

Since he was taking so long I told him to go ahead and do a board update he recommended for $500 as some boards on these Bally's tend to go out and he asked me if I wanted touch up work done for a couple hundred bucks. I said fine.

Finally, he contacts me a couple weeks back and says the machine is done. I say great and ask about the final total and texts me $4200. That is more than double what we originally agreed to and certainly more than an additional $700!

He stops responding and suddenly I see my machine for sale on a local Facebook group I fortunately follow. The post is attached.

Gentlemen, is this not theft and extortion? He asked for a higher price than agreed to once the work was done and he was holding the machine hostage and now he lists my machine for sale at $5000? This is insane!

I fully intend to contact my attorney in the morning as I'm not going to allow him to hold my property hostage and then sell it. I'll file a corona police department report as well as that is his location.

Any advice?

screen (1) (resized).jpegscreen (1) (resized).jpeg

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

What a tool. Do you have documentation of what you agreed to? I would think as a non-lawyer that would put this to bed pretty quickly.

Yeah basically all our correspondence through text. Plus e-mails and so forth.

What a tool is right.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Wiggy:

Wow... thats.. Wow. What is going through his mind? What a total ass.
Talk about bad publicity..

More than that. I mean I have his cell, paypal info, domain, the exact same pics he is advertising with, two years of e-mail, txt, etc.

I go to the police and this ends ends with him having a criminal record. This isn't about the money at this point.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Don't go see lawyers for small amounts of money since just a few hours will be $1000.
I think the police will not do much here since they may consider this more of a complex business dealing. He didn't break into your house and steal it.
Small claims court is I'm guessing your best bet. Document carefully every last piece of correspondence youself relating to the agree upon price and timelines. Then file a claim yourself, show up on date, and tell it to the judge who will make the call.
Quickly get unemotional about it and just go through the process above as I've found getting worked up about it will cost you ten times as much in stress & lost productivity. Life is short, you win some and you lose some - in the end you will get justice anyway one way or another if you go to small claims. Good luck.

Small claims is the best bet but I see nothing wrong with bringing a police report with me to court.

I can tell you this he won't be able to list it for sale anywhere on the internet while I'm watching. Plus Google will forever have his business and name tied to this thread.

#10 6 years ago

He has another business called niftyled and there are a ton of pics of my machine on the instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/niftyled/

screen (4) (resized).jpegscreen (4) (resized).jpeg

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

If he has possession of your property he can do anything he wants with it and I know this must be maddening. Whatever he does, he will owe you $ in the end and it won't look good I small claims when you show him the ad.
From his perspective he might be justifying the sale by claiming that he has a non-paying client for the work he's done so he's going to recoup his losses. But if there is nothing on paper (a detailed contract) detailing his rights to seize your property and sell in the case of non-payment for his work, then he will have to answer for that.

He knows exactly what he's doing. Stealing it because I didn't immediately jump at paying the inflated amount he sent me.

The last text was me literally saying I expected the price to be what we agreed to plus the board and touch up.

After this he lists it for sale without ever saying a word about it?

Anyway, whatever, I'm just going through the social media accounts saving everything for documentation.

#13 6 years ago

Anyway, going through the social media account my machine pops up and amusingly someone says just deliver it to the customer already.

I went back through the dates and it's been two years and three months since he got my machine. I was way too lenient and I should have gone with my gut but it's ok just need to keep collecting evidence. This will work itself out. Just sucks as it actually looks great:

nifty (resized).jpegnifty (resized).jpeg

#14 6 years ago

He's the guy on the far right in this photo so I'm sure there are some local pinheads who know him

asdfasd (resized).jpgasdfasd (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Is this the same NiftyLED that advertises on The Pinball Podcast?

I believe so, yes.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Wow, I would love to hear the other side of the story....

You might think there is another side but here are the last texts. No response. Nothing. I tell him I'd like to work it out but that the price is way too high and I'm out of town this weekend so delivery was to be that next weekend. I was very reasonable all things considered.

He never said another word and listed it for sale. It's obvious what transpired. He never even asked if he could go over budget. Go look on the Instagram feed and he's making his own decisions as to what to do and not even asking me if it's ok! The only added items specified were the board and touch up which is $700 more.

He tried to take advantage of me after being a year and a half late and then tried to quickly sell it hoping to get $5k for my machine behind my back.

Screenshot_2017-12-21-05-00-05 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-12-21-05-00-05 (resized).png
Screenshot_2017-12-21-05-00-24 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-12-21-05-00-24 (resized).png

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Sad, I hate when I read this stuff... You try and be nice being more than patient and it seems you always get screwed.
Hopefully this will work out for you and he will respond accordingly.

I guess all my experience in pinball has been so positive with people from pinside that I didn't mind it took so long for this work. I even told him, hey, I'll wait if necessary for quality work. Clearly my machine wasn't a priority but that's ok. I get it that people are busy and to me this is a fun hobby.

This is the first time I've ever experienced anything like this in Pinball. Everyone else I dealt with especially from Pinside had such positive enthusiasm and wanted to share it. This guy wanted to scam me.

I'm a younger guy who is doing pretty well for himself so I guess he saw me as a target.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Is this the place associated with surfsidedetail?
My apologies if not...

No and by the way I had a fantastic transaction with surfsidedetail

Great guy and was completely up front with me. Even gave a discount once he learned I was a pinsider. Very happy with my purchase from him.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

What's odd about this is from your last text exchange, it seems like the negotiations didn't exactly hit a brick wall, there was dialog going on about the job.
Hopefully cooler heads can prevail. Good luck.

I can post a few of the texts before but you get the idea. We go over the original $1850 budget and I say I'm out of town so I expected a follow up the next week.

I didn't hear anything and now it's listed for sale by him for $5k...

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

So the original budget was 1850. Then throw in the 500 for boards and 200 for "touch-ups" brings it to 2550 you were expecting but he also did LED displays for 300, LEDs for 125, chrome for 700 and plastic set for 150 so that's 1275 in addition to the 2550 for a total of 3825.... there is 375 not accounted for! So are you saying he took it upon himself to do the chrome, plastic set and LEDs on his own and never mentioned it to you?

The chrome, plastic, and LED's were all in the original budget. He just decided to charge me more and I guess isn't even good at math as you point out.

I would never have agreed to $4200 for that work. We agreed to an $1850 budget and then he jacked up the price when he was finally done. I certainly didn't tell him to list my property for sale.

#35 6 years ago

He just texted me saying 'you made it sound like you couldn't pay.'

Odd, isn't it? Especially after he mentioned my Porsche in the garage a few times which I'm sure had no bearing on him jacking up the price...

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is there anyway to go through eBay to report the game as stolen?

Just tried and don't see this option. Apparently you are supposed to contact law enforcement.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not sure what he is thinking? There is a process in California to collect a debt, and it does not include taking someone's personal property to settle such debt. You have the upper hand on this one.

We know what he was thinking. He was thinking of pocketing $5 grand and hoping I let it go. So now this is his flimsy excuse.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

scroll down and just above the description field there is a REPORT ITEM .... click on it!

I did but no option for stolen once reporting...

#51 6 years ago

Looks like I have to go to the police:

newscreen1 (resized).pngnewscreen1 (resized).png

newscreen2 (resized).pngnewscreen2 (resized).png

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

for sure! Always worth making sure you get the thread on fire and get the word out. If the guy has even a speck of understanding on how business works he will see the thread, contact you privately to ensure you get the machine for EXACTLY the quoted price of the restoration, and then you can return to say all is resolved.
If he is stupid he sinks his business.

Considering he thought I wouldn't notice him selling my machine online I think he really is that stupid.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Ok, I’m not buying anything from NIFTYLED after seeing this. This is a worst case scenario for a collector in this hobby.
Just seeing $5k for a playboy on some vendor’s site is enough for me to roll my eyes and say that place is a joke.
It would have to be signed by Hefner, and some or all of the girls featured in the game, or something special like that.

Just want to say thanks for the support guys.

He is just saying 'I want it for free' and mocking me going to the cops or to court with this.

I didn't pay much for the machine so it's not a big deal. I bought it with my Getaway from a cool Pinsider who gave me a great deal knowing it was a restoration project.

All he had to do was give me the machine for what we agreed to, no problem. Instead he tried to scam me and sell it.

Thank you for the support.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I would add niftyled in your title also. Most folks around here know that name over orange county pinball.

I did as you recommended. Good idea.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There was probably a way to meet in the middle somewhere, with a rational phone call and explanation of what the charges were and attempt to work something out. And if there was a disagreement about paying for work that was never asked for, then it's on the business to eat it for their bad judgement. End of.

Exactly.

I'm very reasonable. I think that shows in my patience for this plus I hired him for other work as I'm loyal to pinside businesses. I like supporting the guys here and the people who advertise. It's a cool community.

He didn't even try to work anything out. He just went and listed it for sale without ever saying anything or responding to me asking to work it out.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

If you go to NIFTY LED Instagram page, your game is featured in several posts down the page.
Besides walking into someone’s house and robbing them of their games while they sleep, this is the worst thing you can do to somebody in this hobby.
Take three times longer than expected to do a job
+
Inflate their final bill with poor communication that it’s happening
+
Out of nowhere put their game up for sale online without warning
+
Taunt them to go to the authorities or courts when you try to get it back

Bingo.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Anyone who takes more than 3-6 months to do that type of work either doesn't know what he's doing or isn't serious. For that amount of money you could have plopped a replacement MPU board from Altek and do the touch up work yourself.
Why don't you go over there and get your game?

Considering it.

He's now saying it's a mechanics lien sale to try to scare off small claims court. I mean what a piece of work this guy is.

He's handling it all wrong but I'm done playing games. If honoring our agreement isn't worth his reputation then oh well.

#89 6 years ago

Now he wants to remove the chrome, remove plastics, and hack up the machine. That's his 'offer' to me.

So either I pay the extorted amount or he destroys it.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I sort of understand removing some parts to try to work out a deal....but then (if I am reading this correctly) he wants to damage the playfield for no reason except perhaps spite...

If you consider removing the plastics spite. He's just trying to basically strip out what he can I guess.

I guess he feels if you take a car in for work it's reasonable to strip out the interior or electronics and sell them to offset any additional costs the shop comes up with.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

yeah BUT according to the OP these parts were included in the price agreed upon

They were. The plastics were the first thing we discussed.

He's just trying any tactic at this point. I'm just done with it. I'll go through the proper channels.

Even if I was out of line or whatever the fact he is willing to completely ruin his company and anyone associated for a few bucks speaks of his character. As if him trying to sell the machine behind my back didn't do that by itself.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Who wants to hear the other side of the story? OP isn't exactly the victim he makes himself out to be...

Please, all ears.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

would love to hear it, but no matter what the restorer in this case attempted to sell someone elses property... That is not how you resolve a situation like this.

I'd love to hear it as well.

Maybe I was supposed to wait three years and start asking questions after my machine sells?

Maybe I'm supposed to be a fan of over budget and behind schedule?

Clearly it's on me.

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm not going to get too involved in this, because it's not my fight, but I do know that the OP had been if ignoring texts and requests to pay, so this was the attention getter move.
You can't just keep adding more services to a restoration and then expect the price not to go up. And then you can't expect the restorer to eat that cost just because you no longer like it.
Maybe offer to sell out what you're into it, because the restorer needs to be made whole too. You skip out on your bill, it screws them as much as you feel you're getting screwed by not having your game. They've probably fronted as much or more money into this than you have into your game.

Please provide proof, any proof, of me ignoring texts and requests to pay. Seriously, anything. Any receipt. Any request for payment. ANYTHING.

I posted the final texts I had before my machine was listed illegally for sale without any notice.

Why would you lie like this? For whom? For what?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

According to the OP he agreed to have stuff done for the price of 1850. It took years to complete and when finished he was told more stuff was done and the price more than doubled.
OP did you ask for more stuff to be done after the initial agreement of services for 1850?

Yes a new board for $500 and touchup for $200. I have the texts. That was over a year ago by the way.

#122 6 years ago

I'm literally sitting here saying I'll pay what we agreed to. I literally texted him I would agree to pay even now what we agreed to.

Instead he wrote, 'Oh you made it sound like you couldn't pay.' He didn't write, you never responded to me or any requests for payment or any receipts. What that means is he decided to create his own narrative and steal my machine.

Why someone would imply otherwise with literally zero proof is disappointing to say the least.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So at this point you’re okay with spending 2550 for the work done correct?
Yeah that jumping to 4200 after over a year is nuts.

EXACTLY! I was fine with that back when I texted him I was fine with that. He is the one who never responded and listed my machine for sale. There was no explanation. No notification. Nothing.

Yes, I'm saying I'll pay what we agreed to. That is the right thing to do, right?

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

A couple of observations:
Mechanics' liens, strangely enough to the uninitiated, don't apply to mechanics. They apply to contractors and suppliers for labor and materials furnished to construction projects, and then only after proper notices of claim of lien are issued. You're safe there.
It seems to me that there is a disconnect between a budget/estimate and an agreed-upon contract price. I think that's where this dispute will land, not that the restorer should be permitted to go over the original estimate or budget without at least telling you! And before people start chiming in about getting things in writing, I'm a lawyer and I don't do business that way. I've had lots of pins restored and I have never had a written contract for the work--nor have I ever had an issue.

Agreed but even so what gives him the right to try to sell my machine behind my back? Doesn't that alone show plenty of evidence of his intent? He wanted to scam this restore into more money.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

This scenario is exactly why I stopped restoring games. I got left with a game a customer refused to pay for. They had me put more into it than it was worth. When I was done, they didn't want to pay and argued they could buy another entire used game for the cost. True, but they agreed to have it restored.
To the OP, make a deal. Let him sell it and pay back your value to you, or figure something else out. They're always restoring games over there, and this is the first time I've seen an issue. To be the first goes imply that something is different. Try to work it out for longer than an hour or two before dragging it to Pinside.

This is not about me not paying for work I asked to be done. I am more than willing to pay for the cost of what I requested.

He saw a target and decided to up the price beyond what we agreed to. There is nothing in any correspondence corroborating me saying he can go nuts and just have a blank check to work with. This is not me skipping out on the bill.

This is a scammer who tried to extort money from me and then tried to sell my machine. Let's not muddy the waters with people who refuse to pay. I tried to pay and he took it upon himself to milk this for every dollar even if that means stealing from me.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You act like you know the whole story so why not just tell us?

I'm waiting for it too.

No idea who this guy is but apparently he knows what happend better than I do. People never cease to amaze me.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

He saw your Porsche and believes you can afford to pay more.
I doubt this anything to do with the actual materials or labor.

Bingo. Plus he was inside my home repairing another machine (labor I had no problem paying for, imagine that) and saw what I have and upped the price. When I didn't cave in he tried to sell it on his own and make more money.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I'm still curious about the work performed before that lead to this and why you let them keep it for two years?

Naivety I guess. I wasn't in a rush or anything. I already have pins taking up space.

I told him quality work is worth waiting for when he apologized for how long it was taking but that was in August 2016.

He finally finished it at his leisure and now wants a big payday.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He’s involved because he involved himself by acting like the OP is at fault. He can’t just come on here and drag the OP through the mud and not be willing to give people the facts of what happened.

I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong that has some people defending a guy selling my machine behind my back.

Have we lost perspective here?

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Look, I know more about this, but I'm not going to speak for anybody that is capable of doing it for themselves. I'm nobody's white knight or anything. I'm just saying that before we get 10 pages rallying behind one side of the story, maybe pump the breaks and wait to hear both sides.

How convenient.

So someone I never talked to ever before in Utah apparently knows more about my Playboy machine? If you know so much why didn't you ever PM me? Maybe let me know he was listing it for sale? Maybe said... anything?

I challenge you to prove your assertions. Please.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

The Pinside Pitchforks are really out strong on this one without ever hearing the other side of the story.
The UNDISPUTED FACTS ARE Customer agreed to all of the work done to the machine, i've got this all on text message.
I am not looking for a big payday here, ive got time and money in to this machine, ordering parts, paying contractors for work done to this machine, all at the customers direction and permission.
Am I just supposed to eat all of this work done to it because the customer now decides he doesnt want to pay for it?

You're not supposed to sell my machine for over $5k just because you decide to. That's probably the first place to start.

Pitchforks? I posted the texts. I'll gladly post more.

So sorry you got caught.

#153 6 years ago

Guys, ask yourselves if I would have ever agreed to the work if the cost would be $4200.

What is more likely? I agree to $1850 and we add on a board and playfield touch up since it's taking so long or I just said go wild and give me whatever price you feel like. Then, sell the machine if you feel like it too.

Horrible feeling.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

You dont want to pay for the work done.. what am i supposed to do? Hold the machine in perpetuity forever?

Well maybe you communicate with me before you take it upon yourself to sell my property? How about that?

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

How about i give you the $800 you paid for the machine and this all goes away?

Do you guys see what this is about now? He took my machine, treated it like his own, and now wants to cash it out. So he sends me $800 and makes whatever he is listing it at on Ebay or Craigslist or whatever.

You're a clown. Also, a petty scammer. This is how you need to make money?

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I wouldn't call giving the guy $800 for his original cost of the machine working it out. Just post the texts saying he agreed to more.....release the smoking gun....

Here you are. Exactly what I agreed to.

The boards are $550 plus $200 for touch up. That is what I agreed to and have maintained.

Now tell me how this turns into $4200 and my game being sold because he decides on his own 'I can't pay' or whatever.

He tried to steal my game and sell it before even ATTEMPTING to work anything out.

Screenshot_2017-12-21-07-37-45 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-12-21-07-37-45 (resized).png

Screenshot_2017-12-21-07-38-28 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-12-21-07-38-28 (resized).png

Screenshot_2017-12-21-07-38-46 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-12-21-07-38-46 (resized).png

Screenshot_2017-12-21-07-38-52 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-12-21-07-38-52 (resized).png

Screenshot_2017-12-21-07-39-49 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-12-21-07-39-49 (resized).png

Screenshot_2017-12-21-07-39-37 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-12-21-07-39-37 (resized).png

Screenshot_2017-12-21-07-40-14 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-12-21-07-40-14 (resized).png

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What was the final price you quoted him after he agreed to the additional work? That is what he owes you.

$1850 plus the board and touch up. Exactly as my texts state and show.

Even if he went over budget or whatever what gives him the right to decide to sell my game without telling me or even trying to resolve this? Do I seem crazy unreasonable to you?

#194 6 years ago

I mean text showing the original agreed amount, then the add-ons that you agreed to. Right now I didn't see a text saying I'll do it for $1850...or maybe a i just missed it.

I just have the texts saying we agreed to $1850 which you notice he doesn't dispute and even in the texts now he goes, 'oohhhhh the original agreed amount' which is the $1850.

Sorry I don't have anything more specific on this as I didn't think I would be taking this to a court of law. I was naive.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t either. Nifty please provide us information where you updated the OP on the final estimated price of the work after all additional work was agreed to.

Because that doesn't exist.

He just did whatever he wanted, at whatever pace he wanted, and then decided on whatever price he wanted.

#199 6 years ago

I get it. While he doesn't dispute it when you mention it, he still hasn't provided the extra labor cost texts...

He's probably busy selling his cell phone on ebay because it isn't showing him what he wants to see.

#201 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

This thread is tying up my entire morning...

You might feel differently about it if it was about your machine someone was trying to sell.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

It’s clear Nifty wants to keep the game. They probably fell in love with it after seeing all the drooling responses all over their social media pages. They’ve taken many photos of your game and used it for marketing.
Now they want to keep a restored Playboy for $800.
#nevernifty

Glad people see through it. Thank you.

At least I got to vent here. Thanks for that guys.

#206 6 years ago

From what I read
$1850 for original work
$100 in touch ups
$375 for boards
$225 for MPU
so you expected to pay: $2550

LOL you worked out the math better than I did when I was steaming.

That's exactly it. Exactly what I offered to pay.

Me being surprised he jacked the price to $4200 is a normal reaction I think. It certainly is not evidence of me being unable to pay or giving him permission to sell my machine.

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

We want nothing to do with this game - dont even like the theme - we just want to be made whole

That's odd considering you told me you bought this game previously. Not this theme, this exact machine.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Chrome
LED Displays
LED lights
Plastic set
Theres more that he approved to do that he isnt telling you about

Odd there isn't proof of it. Also odd you would knowing that we agreed to $1850 do work for beyond the amount we agreed to unless you thought I would pay without thinking twice about it.

I guess that happens when you see someone younger than you with a nicer home, a bulldog, two Porsches, a 70 inch 4k screen, three pinball machines, and whatever else you were drooling over.

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Wasnt that the original $1850....where are your copies of the texts?

Exactly that it was in the original $1850 hence why he can't produce the texts. He knows it, I know it, now it is just a battle playing out in a forum to convince others.

Why would he do plastics and everything else if I didn't agree? Why would he do them if there is no request for 'additional' things that will add to the price? Notice he never checked with me saying hey plastics, LED's, etc., will cost so and so? Only for the boards and touch up? Which I readily admit to?

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

We bought it as a package - sold this game to the guy you bought it from for $500

So to clarify you did own it before but don't like it now when it's convenient not to. Got it.

#222 6 years ago

We 'discussed' those things when we set upon $1850 at my house. The very first thing we agreed to in that price was the LED's and plastics.

The price was $2k but I asked if he would do $1850 cash and he said yes.

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

After two years maybe show a complete invoice with parts and labor and eat some of the labor for taking so long and resolve this. I would have picked my pin up after the first month personally. No one should work for free but 2 years seems extreme.

There is no invoice. There is nothing. No receipt sent to me. Nothing saying he would go over budget. Nothing saying anything about cost until he texted me demanding $4200 and when I didn't pay it but said we should work it out he listed it for sale all on his own which I think says plenty about who to trust here.

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Plastics and LEDs were never agreed to in that price..
I dont think playboy plastics were even available when i first picked up the machine

Have some f'ing pride man. Just do the right thing.

You're really not better than this?

You can still do the right thing.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Please provide the text that shows you quoting him a price of all the work to be performed and how you get to 4200 and him agreeing.

Doesn't exist.

#231 6 years ago

If I agreed to $4200 would we be here gentlemen? Would I have expressed immediate shock at his quote?

Is it more likely he didn't get what he thought he would so what does a low character individual do then? He tries to sell my game for EVEN MORE money.

I'd love to see the texts warning me of him selling the game too.

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

1,850 seems a bit high for paint and a shop job.

Exactly.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

This thread proves exactly why you should have everything in writing, on one piece of paper, with details and price and signatures. Any changes should be documented and signed. It's called a contract. Loosey goosey texts and/or verbal agreements frequently end in disputes.

Absolutely. I agree and I was naive.

I never in my life of thought of screwing someone over on a pinball machine.

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

The guys cabinet was falling apart and he had a doorbell button as a start button drilled in to the cabinet... the cabinet needed SERIOUS work. It would not even stand on 4 legs cause you couldnt get them all on without the game falling over

You saw the cabinet. You are the one who took the job. A job that took almost 2 and a half years as the texts show you constantly missing your quoted dates...

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

At what point did you become aware of the OP's bulldog and 70 inch television (4K I believe!)?!

I should have listened to the dog when he didn't want to let him in the house.

Always a good judge of character.

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Uh, guys, you gonna just let that fly? That's some seriously strange attitude to take here.

Clearly the proper response to that is to take my machines and sell them.

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Its a douchewagon post, much like the cayenne itself, but he's under a bit of stress.

It's a 911 btw...

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Post anything which shows he agreed to pay $4,200.

He can't.

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

You be happy he didn't work on your Cayenne.....

2017 Carrera! This work took so long I bought a new car in the meantime.

Of course I didn't pay the dealer for the price we agreed upon so he sold my Cayenne while I wasn't looking.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

But did you give him a detailed listing/summary of everything with included costs so he could see that the original $1850 was going to be seriously overrun?

Nope... he was counting on me just accepting it.

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

So he agrees to do chrome but doesnt have to pay for it? Thats how that works?

Apparently how it works with you is you just sell people's games if they don't give you X amount of money.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

You're not doing yourself any favors.

Just want to make it clear I'm obviously cheap and refuse to pay for quality items. What other explanation could there be?

He used my game to market on social media and wanted to get more money either from me or by selling it himself...

#290 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Chrome doesn’t cost over 2k. The point is you did a bad job of communicating significant costs to the OP. And according to him the chrome was included in the 2550

It's really this simple.

I can't even get over seeing my pin up for sale out of nowhere.

Let's assume even if the costs went up without him telling me how does he justify trying to sell it without any communication? That is blatant theft. How could anyone ever trust this guy with a pin again?

#299 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The guy knows the price of bulldogs and TVs, not pinball machines.
I do similar work sometimes for folks. Whenever more work is requested, or issues come up, THE FIRST THING I DO is talk money. The guy kept asking for things and expected it would be free? That's silly. You kept agreeing/suggesting more work and never mentioned that this crappy game was turning into a money pit? That's silly too.
What's the cost of a nice bulldog go for these days anyway? I'm looking to impress my mailman!

Dog is more than the machine.

I bought a machine over $5k from a pinsider and both of my other machines from pinsiders. I've been on this forum twice as long as you. You think I'm new to pinball costs?

I'm just new to getting screwed by a pinsider, that's all.

All that had to happen here was giving me my game for what we agreed to. That's it. He tried to steal it instead.

#305 6 years ago
Quoted from surfsidedetail:

Wow I was woke up this morning with multiple messages from customers who saw this thread. Thanks for the heads up
We are OrangeCountyPinballs.com out of Fullerton, CA and have a brick & mortar store.
Daniel Buenrostro is no way associated with us.
We have dealt with Sticky and he is a stand-up guy who bought a Champion Pub from us years ago.
Please do not confuse us with this big cluster.

Thanks man.

I'll tell you this much, I'm going to you for all future restoration work and LED's.

I'm not sure if you remember us actually talking about me going to this ocpinballrepair guy to get my Playboy restored when I picked up the Champion Pub.

#312 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

911's are a dime a dozen car. Now if you want to impress check out my car that was even published in a book.

I don't disagree. The 911 I picked up because it is turbocharged so for performance reasons and to develop parts.

I'm a big fan of the C1. Even have a model sitting on my shelf.

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Can we all just agree that there is nothing cool about steeling pinball machines, or Porsches, or bulldogs, and at 70" you would have been better off with a projector.
Sounds like Nifty just did a really poor job about communicating what was included and never discussed prices of things that were being added. That sucks if the OP said add it but at the same time Nifty should have sent a new invoice with an updated total to be signed before any work was done or parts were ordered. That's how business works, not by vague texts messages that lead to miscommunication.

I disagree about the projector as since I've been doing 4k gaming on it I just don't think a projector would offer the same image quality in all light levels or do as well with the image speed.

Anyway, obviously communication was poor on his end but that doesn't excuse stealing my machine. He didn't even say anything. He didn't even try to come to terms.

It was more like, 'He won't give me $4200? Screw it I'll sell it and get even more. Who will stop me?'

He can't produce anything saying he intends to a do a 'lien' or whatever else he claims. He literally was caught red handed and instead of stepping up to do the right thing taunts me to go the police. What a shame.

He STILL had a chance here and opted instead to be a coward.

#320 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

So, were at a stalemate here... what do we do? You wont discuss over text message "do whatever you want but do it while texting someone else"
Im in this machine for X - your budget is Y - what is the Z here?

Yeah, I'm really hard to reach, eh?

The Z is not sell my property illegally, I can tell you that. I don't want you doing any equations.

The offer is $2550 after trying to steal my machine and I suggest you take it.

#326 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

$3000 and ill be done with this mess... thats my final offer, needs to be paid in CASH.
Your $2550 doesnt even cover what im in it on parts/sub work

Read over my texts that you said I wasn't 'responding' to.

I believe one says 'I said the amount we agreed to. Not a penny more' and a not a penny more it shall be.

If you need me to post it, let me know.

#331 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

dont be so stupid!!!!!!!!!
Take the mans $2550 or watch your business crumble. This is not a matter of principle for you anymore, this is a matter of business.
It is VERY clear that you attempted to steal the guys machine and sell it. You screwed up and all the evidence made it clear.
Take your lumps, learn to communicate better "If you want chrome added it will cost X, bringing the total to Y now. Agreed?", learn to quote out work better, and do the right thing and take the $2550 and feel fortunate 10 guys are not showing up to your house on xmas eve to take the game.

This is not about the money right now and I think everyone sees that.

This is principle.

I made the same offer I always made which is what we agreed to. No more, no less.

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

civilty went out the door when your buddy stole the guys machine and put it up for sale. He screwed up, BIG TIME!
I am pissed for the OP.
Miscommunication happens.
Prices go up and things can take longer.
People can be mad at the changes and poor communication.
You simple DONT try to sell someones game and break the law in doing so and then request civilty.

Exactly why I will not pay $3000.

This isn't a hostage negotiation.

#341 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Everybody set aside the egos and just let the numbers and logic talk for a bit. Get everybody made whole. There will be some hurt feelings, but as long as nobody is out any money, call it the emotional price for learning a lesson about communication and documentation. We spend more time on this sort of thing in this hobby these days than we do actually talking about playing pinball.
Also, don't chrome up classics.

Shouldn't you apologize for all the false assertions you made about me pages back?

#345 6 years ago

I went from being hurt and furious to somehow feeling at peace.

Really, it is a great group of people here.

Thank you gentlemen.

I'm ready to resolve this and am just waiting to see if he will do the right thing instead of trying to squeeze out another dollar or two.

#349 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Ive offered to settle this for 3k to be done with it, im eating all of my time and labor here -
All of this noise from everyone saying I need to make this right - this is my "make it right"
OP 100% AGREED TO ALL OF THE WORK ON THIS MACHINE.... hes not debating any of that - he approved the chrome, the led displays, the leds, ive got most of the approvals in my text messages..
Everything else is just noise... lets be done with this..

If you didn't try to steal my machine and you didn't blatantly lie I would have gladly paid $3k just because I like the machine.

If you want to show contrition and show you are capable of behaving like a human being with some morals I suggest you honor the original agreement and be done with this.

I'm not going to cave. I'm not going to pay you more money for trying to cheat me. I am going to pay what I said I would.

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I am actually on your side, but I think at this point apologies are out the door. Lets get this thing resolved.
Meet in the middle, Nifty wants $3000 and you want to pay $2550. $2775 cash and call it a day.

I hear you loud and clear. You guys want this resolved and it is best for the community.

However, I'm the only one who understands what it is like to see the machine in the thread you have waited almost three years for put up for sale behind your back.

I think that's worth $450 of contrition, at the very least. He should consider it the best $450 he ever spent for his business.

#364 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

stalemate it is... I'm fine with going to small claims if needed

This isn't a stalemate. It's you killing niftyled in real time.

#367 6 years ago

In the interest of Pinside and the community I will pay $2550 for the machine and donate $50 to the pinside community for helping this get resolved.

That's more than he deserves but I'll do it to show my holiday spirit and to thank you all for your help.

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I'm local let me get the game and if I can keep and play for 30 days I'll pay the $50 difference. They are eating the labor I don't think you could ask for more. Emotions I'm sure are high on both sides and possibly justified. Hey let me know.

Can anyone vouch for him?

#379 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Disagree. A good mea culpa and making it right goes a long way. Everyone screws up; it’s how you handle it that truly matters in life.
My advice is to walk away from this thread for a bit. Think about what you want to do and post one more time with the plan. The heated back and forth isn’t helping either side.

How would you say he is handling it on a scale of 1 - niftynomore?

#384 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sad to see you are not smart enough to realize you could eat your lumps, appologize, and take the $2550.
The pinball community is one of the most forgiving communities I have seen. Hell, I would ever consider supporting you if you woke up and realized your screw up/ admittted it and made it right...

He could even get me to say how I feel about the quality of the work, post some pics, some vids, and a little contrition might lead to a better understanding in the future although I'm still pretty upset over seeing my machine listed for sale. Still, positives could come from this.

I can get over it and extended my hand. Why must he try to get every last dollar at this point when this is about much more than money?

#388 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

You are just rubbing salt in the wound at this point. Reflects poorly on you.

If I was vindictive I wouldn't be trying to resolve this but I'd be at the Corona police department and filing in small claims court as we speak.

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I'm not a very public pinball scene person but trustworthy. My profile is there for you guys to see and will provide any info you want. Would like to help if possible.

Well you sound like a very nice guy but imagine how apprehensive I am now!

Really you just want to play the game? Hey, if I can spread some pinball love, we can get this resolved, and people get to enjoy the game I'm all for it.

I guess I could get it from you after you had some fun?

Good can come from this still.

#402 6 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

And you haven't answered the repeated question - did you give him updated costs?

It's obvious at this point he didn't but he is trying to get every last dime he can and that points to who he is. Even after being in the wrong still little to no shame.

Look, to show I'm not inflexible despite the absolute absurdity of paying more than agreed after he tried to steal my game I'll go to $2600 and if Buzz wants to chip in $50 to play it for a bit that is my final offer in the spirit of Christmas, Pinside, and the belief there is still good in people.

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Buzz is a good dude

Then I'm on board and made my final offer.

#428 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Like pulp fiction don't let your pride get in the way. Should you be pissed definitely but in the end this business maybe takes a hit and you get your pin for just a little more than expected. Do the deal and end this and if you need a 270lb gorilla to make sure everyone stays calm I can help corona is not that far from me. And totally understand about not knowing me. I wish the best for both parties.

Buzz I'm 100% onboard with your suggestion, I offered an additional $50, you offered $50, so that is $2650 and frankly far more than he deserves but so be it.

We kill two birds with one stone here and you can enjoy the game a bit and everyone else can cool down.

I think this is the best resolution for all parties and I agree to the terms.

Please PM me.

#432 6 years ago

So are we done here or what?

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Looks that way! Take him to court and watch him shrink. He doesn't have a leg to stand on and hes trying to sell stolen property. Case closed.

If that is how it has to be, it has to be.

A resolution for $2650 that benefits multiple pinsiders is on the table despite everything that transpired.

I don't think it will get any better than this. It can get worse though.

#444 6 years ago

So what the hell are we waiting for here @niftyled?

#456 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

You've got my number, text or call when youve got 3k in your hand and we can meet up. I came down $1200, you can come up $500.
I'm fine with letting a judge decide this if thats the route you want to go.

So I see you're still resorting to pinball terrorism.

That's fine man. It's not like I had high hopes for your character.

Let's start with the police report today as selling stolen goods isn't a good thing. Also saved you ended the Ebay auction.

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

What exact damages does OP have? has he lost any money? has he lost his machine? no, he can have the machine if he pays for the repairs done to it. Its the same thing if you take your car to a mechanic.

I've never had any mechanic list my car on Ebay when I wasn't looking.

#470 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Asking for money for proper work thats ive done isnt terrorism.
Make sure to show the police your unpaid invoice.

I'd show everyone here my invoice if I ever received one.

Asking more money than agreed to is extortion. Now you're just holding the pin hostage to get a few more bucks. Pathetic.

Also please show all your payment requests. Show where you said you would put the pin up for sale.

You know what? Offer off the table. Let's do it the hard way.

#498 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sounds like the OP doesn’t care at this point. Rather try and get his way in small claims than give nifty a cent. Can’t say I blame him.

Pretty much it.

I probably would have paid the $3k no questions asked if he ever got back to me but after his responses and just seeing my game for sale I do not intend to reward him.

I don't care about $400 this way or that way I care about this guy getting away with screwing me.

#509 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

OK, my eyes are now bleeding from just reading all of this. As a business owner, I am going to give 2 cents worth of valuable advice to both parties.
Nifty, you trying to sell this machine, that IS not your property, is 100% illegal. Same with your so called mechanic's lien, you served no legal notice to the customer, it's toilet paper. You quoted the guy approx $2550, took over 2 years, but cannot show any additional costs quoted to the customer. You have caused some serious damage to your reputation. Your $800 offer made you look even worse.
Sticky, this is partially your fault for not following up with and demanding your machine be finished in a timely manner and asking for "where are we at" for costs. Nifty took as much time as you continued to allow. With that said, law in this case is on YOUR side. You actually may be due damages for him trying to sell your machine if this went to small claims.
Now, if the estimate was truly $2550, Nifty has all rights to exceed that estimate by 10% without having your permission. That puts this machine at $2805. Pay it , be done, BOTH SIDES.

I already stated I was comfortable with paying more and we could have resolved this easily. He decided he would take my machine and sell it without informing me.

No invoice as he claims. No notice. Nothing. He just tried to make a quick $5500 at my expense.

I'm not going to reward him for that now.

#517 6 years ago

Oh look what I just received. Anything suspicious about the time/date? An invoice AFTER he tried to put my game up for sale for not paying an invoice?

You can't make this stuff up at this point.

invoice (resized).pnginvoice (resized).png

#521 6 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

I know you are upset and it’s easier said than done considering the emotional roller coaster of the last few hours but... I’d pay the $3000 to have my game back now. I could enjoy it over the holidays and not let this fester for several more months. How long is the backup for small claims court - 6 months? Longer?

I live without the game for two and a half years. I can live however long it is until justice prevails.

We can't allow people to get away with this. At least not in a close-knit community like this about a hobby.

I'm not letting him extort $450.

#534 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

No, this isn't a reward, but it is a verbal contract for the initial $1850. The other monies were in plain text. There is no need for revenge at this point, his reputation in this community is now shit(maybe not to some random guy with info from Utah).
If your time is worth the hassle at this point, by all means take him to court. He tried to rip you off, because he has no legs to stand on with the extras. But at this point, for $2800 you are getting a damn fine looking playboy, that personally I believe is worth all of $2800.
You get to walk away with your restored machine, enjoy it. He walks away with a damaged reputation that he may never recover from.

I hear you and it's reasonable but he is demanding $3k and I won't give him that.

I wanted the amount we agreed to but said in the spirit of resolution I would go to $2650 to show I'm not inflexible and for the good of the community.

He responds to that with a letter 'demanding' I pay $4200 or he will do whatever he wants. At least this time he's telling me before he'll try to sell my machine.

Now should I really give him money for that?

#535 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Nifty, you just buried yourself. An invoice with today's date, after you tried selling this guy's machine on EBay and Facebook?

That is exactly what he just did. He changed the invoice pdf to show 11/28 though so he's really super slick.

#543 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

The letter seriously says you have to pay $4200, after he's already said $3k here? That's gold right there. No judge is going to take his side.

Yes, seriously.

#546 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

I'd still like to point out that OP has still not ever denied letting me proceed with the work even if cost wasnt mentioned..
Did he really think chrome was free? LED displays are free? LEDs? Plastic set?
11/28/2017 is the date I told you the total and the date that I wrote up that invoice...

Um I denied it and posted the texts denying it. You just have poor reading comprehension. Anyone who spends the morning after being caught selling someone's machine creating an invoice after the fact has to have poor reading skills.

#556 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Great, where is the legal service of the mechanic's lien to Sticky? You have to have that to sell his property. You tried to sell his machine less than the legal 90 days, hell 3 weeks, you are fucked.

Even better how do I receive an invoice from 11/28 on 12/21?

Maybe the restore took so long because my pin is now a time machine?

#557 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Your quotes come to $2550, you are legally allowed a 10% buffer without approval. That's $255. $2550 & $255 is $2805, what you are legally owed.

I'll do $2800 and $5 to chip in for a nice beer for you.

I really would like this guy to have to face justice though.

#569 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

"yeah new posts, plastics pop bumpers"

'AS WE DISCUSSED.'

Why leave that part out? Oh, because we freaking discussed it when we agreed to the price. Why else would I say that?

I already posted all those texts. They show what I agreed to which adds up to $700 not an additional $2350.

Wow.

#574 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Nowhere in our discussion does it say that!

Nowhere in our discussion does it say what? That you are going to tack on an additional $2350 then try to sell my machine? Yep, agreed.

#579 6 years ago

Prices listed in the texts are $225 + $375 + $100 = 700

ALL OF WHICH I AGREED TO.

How does $700 turn into $2350 more for $4200?

How does this then turn into getting an invoice for $4200 a month later after my game was put up for sale?

#589 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Did you honestly think a plastic set was free? LED displays are FREE? honestly? just tell me that and ill try to wrap my head around it

No I know things cost money which is why we discussed all the things you could do and the cost in person when you took the machine. I just didn't realize you were a sociopath at the time.

#597 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

"We discussed" implies that you already had agreed to it (you didnt correct him either). You said you had LED displays, but you didnt mention a price (but did about the boards). To me it seems like you had them and would throw them in.

He only mentions price on things that are additional cost.

He also said I agreed to 'everything' without asking cost when I clearly ask about cost in the texts before saying we should do it.

I can't believe there are people like this in the world who would go to these lengths for a few bucks. It's insane.

#608 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

This is a much better offer than Nifty deserves. If he doesn't agree to that, I guess he's just hellbent on self-destruction and wants others to suffer in the process.

He doesn't deserve anything and really people like this should not get away with it.

Maybe he can invest the extra $250 in some books on business ethics?

#613 6 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Come on Sticky! You can do it! End this so we can get back to work.

It's over. I'll have some guys sent with the cash to his Corona address today.

I'm being as calm and civil as possible I think all things considering.

#627 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

I will happily assist the one guy in loading the machine.
Sorry ive got a family and i do not need 10 unknown strangers in my house

Bet you'd feel differently if they clicked buy it now on the $5500 Ebay listing, eh?

#631 6 years ago
Quoted from bushz:

The OP should be able to pick up his own machine. He's paying for it.

It's all good my SUV is actually closer to Corona than where I am and my car won't fit it.

It's fine.

#639 6 years ago

If i were you id end the snarky remarks and focus on pick up. You have both agreed. Now get it done!

I see we're down to serious business now.

Ok, ok.

#641 6 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Pickup game now, then sell it to me for like $2,900.

It's got quite a bit of sentimental value...

#651 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The dude has a bulldog and a big TV. This shit is small potatoes for him.
It's not about the money at this point bro!

His name is Tank:

10429229_733318253430199_5916122612126048554_n (resized).jpg10429229_733318253430199_5916122612126048554_n (resized).jpg

#664 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Sticky, would love to see pics of the pin posted once you get it.......

Count on it.

#686 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I didn't know bulldogs were status symbols? I'll have to pick one up and send in my application to get on Most Expensvest.

This one is. I'm not going to bore you guys with more pics though.

Ok one more.

tank (resized).jpgtank (resized).jpg

#695 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Hi All,
Nate here. I'm Daniel's partner in Nifty LED and the repair side of the business, from which this all began. I'm sorry this has gotten so out of hand, and had a couple other things I'd like to clarify: The communication with the customer was there the whole time. It wasn't a sudden increase in price, it was just a sudden shock of all the things he agreed to as this went along. We've been completely transparent and whenever pricing was asked, we provided, honored and have been in contact. Before we took the machine, we told the customer that the wait time was going to be VERY long, simply because we had a lot of other machines in queue and changes in our lives were going to slow work even further. We finally got to his and started working on it. We like to take our time, to ensure a good job, and this one was no different.... it took a long time, just as we had told the customer up front. It's sometimes said, "The one who shoots first, is usually the one that wins the gun fight". Clearly, several pages of posts before we had a chance to say out side of the story made us look like the bad guy and we were too late to defend ourselves. Your minds had already been made up, and there's really no use beating a dead horse.
Besides all of this, it's so disheartening to see where this has gone. Daniel and I have a strong client base and if you know us, personally, or have shaken our hand at the shows, I'm sure you'd agree that the way we've been made out to look like is certainly not our character. The posting of the game on eBay was inappropriate and we have no excuses for it. We were seeking reimbursement for the time and parts we had put into the game. For that, we apologize for the lapse in judgement. After invoicing the customer, he eventually stopped communicating and we were left wondering what to do from there. We tried reaching out several times but there was radio silence from him.
As a side note, I fell in love with pinball several years ago and became a member of Pinside almost immediately (private acct) and have since been less active due to a busy schedule. So many people in our local pinball league have said what a toxic place Pinside has become and I've always tried to stay positive and see the good in people on this forum but unfortunately we have become the one which fingers are being pointed at. This hurts. I can't help but feel the same way as them and although Pinside is supposed to be a conduit for us as a place to learn, help each other it seems to have turned into something else. I'm sad that this place, the very thing that's supposed to HELP pinball, is one of the reasons I've begun to lose a lot of interest in pinball. The fun is gone here.
To those of you who have sent us PM's, text messages and have called us, we appreciate the support. To those of you who think you know the whole story and have condemned us, that's your decision based on an incomplete set of facts and we respect that. Feel free to reply if you wish, but we will not be responding to any more posts.
Regards,
Nate

What constant communication? Seriously?

I had to text and ask for updates how many times over 2+ years? How many times was I told the machine wouldn't be ready when I was told it would be ready?

I can't even believe you're trying this at this stage.

Where is all this 'we' talk coming from? I've never spoken to you and have no idea who you are.

This is just poor damage control from you as you see the self-inflicted wounds. Nobody forced Daniel to put my machine up for sale on multiple sites without so much as notifying me. Where was that communication?

Constant communication in your view is sending me an invoice and threat to pay a month after the fact? And after you try to sell it? What planet do you live on?

There is no invoice. None was sent until today. What radio silence? PROVE THIS. Show the texts as I did. Show where I didn't respond. Show where you notified me. Wow, you might be an even bigger POS.

If you're not having fun maybe because scamming people isn't a fun way to do business?

Nobody has sent you pm's or texts of support, get out of here with that nonsense. I have received plenty though...

#699 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My apologies to His Holiness.

Belly rub or two and all is forgiven.

#702 6 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Cliff notes:
Our fault: Trying to sell the OP's machine out from under him.
Pinside and OP's fault: Everything else.
This thread is everything I love about Pinside. If the OP hadn't started this thread, his machine might have been sold. (Although for the price you were asking, probably not.
I noticed you didn't address the "OC Pinball Repair" fiasco. Conveniently, you won't be responding to any more posts.

He could have come in and just said, we screwed up. Everything we did was wrong. Frankly, we should be happy this didn't escalate. We won't conduct business like this again.

My personal apologies and so forth.

Instead, the same blatant lies. If they sent me an invoice why did I just receive it today? If they messaged me about the cost, where is it? Where is the proof I ignored them? Where is notification of listing my pin for sale?

Why continue down the same path when this right here is your chance to atone? Sounds like Daniel and Nate are PERFECT partners.

#711 6 years ago

We will pick up this game so this all is resolved and this tire fire can be extinguished. Keep in touch Sticky

I trust you to pick up the game surfsidedetail as you know what to look for but he just texted me if it isn't picked up by tomorrow I have to pay $100 storage fees per day...

Quite a guy.

#713 6 years ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

Cal. Penal Code s. 484, Conversion.
http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-484.html
Since you did not file a mechanic’s lien, OP’s ownership is uncontested.
When you listed for sale, you unequivocally asserted an ownership interest which satisfies subd.(a) of 484.
Measure of damages is fair market value. How will you dispute the $5,500 you put on eBay?

Man I love this community.

#723 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

He's had it for 3+ years and now wants $10 a day storage? What a tool and his partner sounds just as dumb.
Those touch-ups too..... did kids do the "thousands"? My god that's horrible work.
So, horrible customer service and horrible work. They should last a long time.

$100 per day, not $10.

I mean we will work this out. The nice thing is surfsidedetail is close to one of my businesses so it's perfect but he said he's busy.

Still, he's the kind of pinball expert I trust to inspect this game.

#724 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So he’s still being a Douche I see. Walk away man, this game isn’t worth 2800

I said I'd pay $2800 and my word means something.

#726 6 years ago

nate daniel niftyled please cease and desist using that domain
I will wait for Sticky to make arrangements and we will pick up this machine.
Thank you
Evan Zelien
OrangeCountyPinballs.com
714-451-6308

I PM'd you.

Basically, it's whenever you can get it. I know your busy but if he's going to charge $100 per day until you are free that's absurd.

#741 6 years ago

This is close to over. Just waiting to hear when surfsidedetail can arrange to pick this up.

I'm just glad this community helped me resolve this. I was sick to my stomach and got no sleep as I stayed up collecting evidence essentially.

Thank you everyone.

#745 6 years ago

Slight problem.

Surfsidedetail can't pick it up until Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Niftyled threatened $100 storage per day.

It seems even getting this picked up is going to be a tooth and nail endeavor.

#749 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No offense, but if you let them charge you one penny of storage fees you are a fool. Don't let them do that to you. I would walk away from this game totally if it were me.

I won't. No storage fee nonsense that's just petty crap from them.

I just want this picked up by someone who knows what to look for, that's all.

#757 6 years ago
Quoted from MagicSmoke:

Serious question not trolling.
What exactly do you want someone to look for? The pics of that playfield look horrendous, and should tell you everything you need to know.
You should pick it up yourself and see it in person since quality is subjective.

Maybe you're right. I'm not sure really as this is the first restoration I've done and experience wouldn't hurt.

I agree there is a lot that is subjective.

Even if the playfield is terrible they do reproductions fairly often for this pin due to the volume so I'll probably want a new one eventually, right?

#769 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

And then piss on his rug.

Last thing I need is to be charged for a rug that really held the room together.

#887 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

That he still exaggerated his original post by leaving out a lot of the extras that raised the price. That both sides made mistakes and that they should (and did!) work it out. That the seller's "he's trying to screw me because I'm richer than he is" attitude is still piss poor and inexcusable and totally gross to throw around. Frickin' bulldogs and 70" TVs, man.
I'm not 1/100th as emotionally invested in this as you all seem to be and I actually know more about the story. You guys are all weird. Really, really weird.

You keep saying you know more about the story yet haven't contributed anything. I've literally never spoken to you before this thread.

You are the only one that said, 'He's not innocent' but literally provided nothing of substance. Taking my property and selling it isn't a mistake. It's theft.

Why you're lying and taking this position I have no clue. You're probably just jealous of my bulldog too.

#888 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Nobody is saying that trying to sell it was a good idea, not even NiftyLED.
This isn't a defense, just a question. But what would you do if you were trying to contact a customer to pay/pick up something from you and they weren't answering? You're out time, you're out money, and you're not getting any response. You start to think that you're going to be left with something that you've sunk as much, or more, money into that you can get back out of it. You just want to be done with the machine and the customer.
I have been there with a customer and it sucks. It's a scenario very similar to this that got me to stop doing pinball restorations or to take in machines at my place for repair. I'll go do remote work, but I won't take possession of anybody's stuff ever again. Not worth the headaches and definitely not worth the money. I never got accused of anything like this, but just chasing down people who conveniently go silent on you when you need to collect payment was infuriating.
Again, it's not a defense or an excuse, but maybe think through the entire situation for a few minutes before you take someone's side 100% of the way.

Why are you interjecting? You aren't a part of this.

Are you bored? Do you need a soap opera?

I was never contacted. Notice how there is no proof? Literally NOTHING? I asked for you to add your two cents and all you have provided is conjecture. Is this role playing for you?

An invoice was sent AFTER he was caught selling my machine due to this thread. He literally created the invoice after this thread was created while posting in it as he had no choice knowing he never sent one. Yet I'm in the wrong somehow according to you?

Who the hell do you think are? You're defending lying, extortion, and robbery. What is your malfunction?

#890 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

No argument there. It was bad decision. Just saying it's not as clear cut as presented from either side.

How is it not? Please, explain.

Please person in Utah isolated from this who consistently has gotten everything they posted in this thread wrong show how it is not cut and dry.

Because to me the way it appears is I was patient with Nifty, hired Nifty for work WHILE they worked on my machine as a token of appreciation for said work, let Nifty work at their leisure, and was surprised I was being charged more than double the original quote when after two years the machine was finally done.

I then was further surprised, no, shocked, when I saw my machine listed for sale after I was the last one to communicate saying the price should be what we agreed to and then saw my machine used as advertising on their social media channels and listed on EBAY with no notice.

So what am I missing here? What is this bit of knowledge you supposedly have that hasn't been contributed? I posted screengrabs and texts supporting my timeline and assertions.

Who the hell are you?

#891 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I mean, that’s kind of not reasonable. That’s like someone saying, you are wrong and I know why but won’t tell you why. If you claim to have inside knowledge you should spill it or if you can’t dont tell every one you have the inside intel to begin with. .

He doesn't have any inside knowledge.

I'm amazed someone would take it upon themselves to interject like this but after seeing my pinball machine on Ebay I guess this isn't shocking.

At least he didn't try to sell my TV or Bulldog, am I right?

Speaking of which, if the Bulldog goes to the vet and I don't pay the bill do they put it down immediately?

He probably has some inside knowledge on that too.

#892 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm not in here defending anybody, just came in to say that everybody should wait to hear it all before raising pitchforks. These threads always go the same way, not sure why I would expect different.
Stop painting me as a defender or attacker. This was never my fight. I'm not going to come in and put anybody on blast or defend anybody. I don't have investment in this, but you all act like you do. It's pretty sad.
This place is toxic. It's scary how quickly you all want to mob up, put words in people's mouth, create odd scenarios to fit an argument that doesn't even need to happen, railroad people you don't know or defend someone you only think you do, and then quickly move onto the next scandal (real or invented).
I knew Daniel was frustrated with this before this thread showed up. I joked with him about blasting the customer on Pinside. He said he wasn't going to do that. Then I see this thread in the morning and saw the game listed for sale. I hadn't talked to either Nifty guy, but I knew they were frustrated with their difficulties trying to get this settled and it was either a reaction to either go nowhere dialog with the seller or they still couldn't get an answer. I knew they had their own point of view and frustrations. That's why when the thread popped up, with not a totally complete picture, I mentioned that there was more to it and that it would be smart to wait for the whole story before getting too involved and riled up. Why is that such a crazy thing?
But you guys can't be rational. It has to be taking sides or nothing, I guess. This is all very, very childish. This thread didn't need a thousand posts. This thread didn't even need to exist. It should have been worked out privately.
But hey, if Hilton can't stir a pot he has no business even touching, he'd probably go insane, so what else should I expect?

This place isn't toxic. You're toxic.

Nobody put words in anyone's mouth. The closest anyone came to that is you by saying you 'know more' about this story. How? Who talked to you? What is this intimate knowledge of my pin you have?

Your biggest issue is that I said I'm more successful than he is? Yeah, well I don't rip people off for a living. I conduct honest business. I sleep soundly at night. Helps my bulldog guards the door, right? Wouldn't want that TV stolen, right? You're a joke.

This is part of the problem in this country. People are actually blaming the victims of the criminals. This guy would defend a robber coming into your home and slipping on the floor breaking his hip by saying you shouldn't have mopped it.

You say you didn't talk to either Nifty guy yet you 'know' they were frustrated with their difficulties getting this settled? I'm RIGHT HERE. Why didn't you PM me? Why didn't they? Why didn't they text? Why didn't they say anything? Both of them are liars and you know what else? So are you. Provide evidence of their frustration and your correspondence, please.

[removed]

#893 6 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Am I missing something or did you not yet post the contents of those tantalizing attachments?

I didn't. If you guys want it, I will.

I just thought it might be better to not fuel flames and just get the pin finally.

#894 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

In case you did not realize, your buddy stole a game and attempted to sell it... there is not much else to the 'other' side of the story after that. EABODs buddy.
Nobody stirred a pot, your buddy showed up with the shit pile and the shit stick and made a shit tornado with his brother Randy Bo Bandy.

Succinct and accurate.

#895 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?
Guys try to keep up.
They've decided on a price
Surfside was going to pick up the machine tomorrow for Sticky but can't do it for days
Nifty has said $100 "storage fee" PER DAY
Jar is still positive he has never defended Nifty
I'm trying to swing some funds to go stay at Buzz' house
The game pick up is still out there....this thread is nowhere near complete *AKA Christmas Miracle*

That's right. This is the only issue.

I'm arranging other shipping options right now. I hope I can be forgiven for going to bed early after staying up all night trying to stop someone from stealing my property.

Apparently I'm missing part of the story though.

#897 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Any chance it could be another one of the other 18k plus Bally playboys out there and he was using your pics as reference. Probably not, but just saying ......... any possibility ?

No because he texted me the shots in advance. So he literally used the exact same shots he texted me of the finished machine on his classified posts.

Not the brightest bulb.

Not to mention he didn't even bother to check if I was a member of the Facebook group he was posting my machine for sale to.

So, you can see the masterminds we're dealing with here.

#899 6 years ago

If anyone close to Corona would like to help with shipping that would be great. I have to wait until a few businesses open in the morning but either way this nightmare will be over by the end of the day.

#900 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I understand that...... What Im saying is, are you sure he not restoring another one and using your pics as reference because its not finished. Ive seen that happen before. Not saying thats the case here though but could it be a possibility.

I just don't see any evidence of that. You'll notice going back over two years the only playboy they posted on their social media account is mine and those same pics have been texted to me periodically.

#906 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I'm just about finished the restoration on my Vampire, and even working two jobs I was able to get it done in under 7 months. And I don't run a pinball company, and it was just me working on it the entire time by myself.

You can see on the social media screen grabs even his partner commented he needs to just 'finish the damn machine and deliver it to the customer already' showing how much of a priority this really was for him.

I fully take blame for being too easy going and not making a bigger deal of missed completion date after completion date.

#908 6 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

I contacted these guys @orangecountypinball.com to repaint the same 1978 playboy after the OP did.
They told me they were restoring one at the time(the op's). I intended to call the brick and mortar Orange county pinballs and didnt like their name being so close to Evan's business after I was fooled into calling them because of same name and same city when looking up the business on the internet. I chose another company to do the work even though these guys with a questionable name gave me a better timeframe. I got mine back a long time ago and my granddaughter didnt like
the artwork so it had to go. After I played it awhile. A LONG TIME AGO. Geez.
What if I had let them work on mine? I felt personally insulted when he offered you 800 or so for it. Not hard for me to put myself in your position because I was almost there, but would have been in line after you. But after 24 hours and seeing the shape of playfield pics, I would take the money. Seriously. I sold mine for 2800 with a nice playfield. Only your chrome looked nicer. I would have trouble keeping the machine because of their shenanigans. The market for these are hit and miss. I would find it more fun to watch these clowns try to sell it on eBay. Add a little more to your 3600 and buy a better pin. We all know you can afford it. jk

I'm sure I could probably get a nicer one but I'm not going to let them cash out on my pin.

At this point I'd rather take a loss on the work quality or flipping it than allow them to profit off being liars and thieves. I don't need money that badly.

#911 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

If anyone close to Corona would like to help with shipping that would be great. I have to wait until a few businesses open in the morning but either way this nightmare will be over by the end of the day.

Anyway, whomever can help it will be appreciated and I'm sure we can work out compensation.

I can't pick it up myself any time soon (Daniel originally picked up the machine and said he would deliver it back but obviously this guy won't face me) so just exploring options right now.

Holidays make it tough as everyone is scrambling to buy last minute gifts and so forth.

#912 6 years ago

Just something else that is a bit of a red flag for the future guys.

Niftyled.com is not a licensed business and the provided address is not where they operate from:

Address on NiftyLED.com

2543 Coventry Circle, Fullerton CA 92833

Daniel wouldn't provide me his address (I already had it from some hardcore googling) until I said surfsidedetail couldn't make it until next Tuesday.

Basically, it operates out of his garage not that it is a bad thing but none of the addresses listed on the business pages match up.

#924 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I did. And it was well written.

You wouldn't feel that way if it was your pin.

It was a defense of degenerate behavior. I don't care how mild the wording was that is essentially what it amounts to.

#927 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I almost want to book a flight, rent a car, come and grab the money, go get the game and bring it back to you and set it up just so I can see how this plays out in person. And so I can help you inspect the game. If I wasn't dealing with other stuff right now, and it wasn't a few days before Christmas, I'd be packing a bag and heading to Philly International post haste.

I appreciate your sentiment. Don't even worry. It's unfortunate this is causing unnecessary holiday stress.

I'll tell you guys what, anyone is welcome (well, short of niftyled) to come over and play it. I have good whiskey, wine, cigars, and I left out the pool table next to the pins.

It's not a huge place but it's definitely a nice pad and my pin collection isn't robust but it's fun.

#928 6 years ago

If only he was in this big of a rush to get it done in the first place, eh?

pin (resized).pngpin (resized).png

#934 6 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

If I was the op, I would man up and go get the game myself.

Um do you think there might be a reason I can't personally get it?

Since no doubt you will ask I do not have any of my cars here right now so this is simply bad/last minute timing.

I'll simply pay for transportation but thanks for your suggestion.

#937 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

It was well written even if I didn’t agree with all of it it. I hope you get your pin today and can enjoy the rest of the holidays with this behind you.
Maybe I’m just old fashioned, but this is the season to forgive. They screwed up big time. Bordering on criminal. But it’s the season to forgive and move past (once you get your pin that is)
Happy Holidays
Marc

It is the holiday season and that is why this is not involving the police or attorneys. Several attorneys contacted me telling me they don't have a legal leg to stand on and offering help.

We came to terms although it was difficult for me to swallow what happened.

I agree with the higher road here but I think the true character of the niftyled people showed in this ordeal.

#941 6 years ago

Buzz generously offered to help since he is local and already moving pins today.

I just need to let Daniel/Niftyled know what time it is being picked up and when Buzz txts me he's there I'll Paypal $2800.

So... we're all good I think.

#944 6 years ago

Oh come on pinside not now...

pinside (resized).jpegpinside (resized).jpeg

#946 6 years ago

Please do. It's important to hear both sides of the story!

I'd have to redact a bunch of personal info but let's just concentrate on getting the pin shipped.

#951 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

You've got two Porsche's. You can afford to upgrade to Pinside Plus. Unlimited posts!!

Three...

(two car garage)

#954 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

You're such a Playboy...
(too early still?)

I wish this was the car thread where we could have some fun. Cars are my main business.

#956 6 years ago

Ok guys,

Buzz is on the way to grab the pin. He will be there in an hour.

As a neutral observer he will check out the pin. I will then send the cash.

#961 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Isn't he going to demand cash in hand?

Suddenly he's balking and telling me I have to speak to his partner. WTF?

Buzz is already on the way. What is this?

#962 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Is he going to accept paypal? Sorry if I missed it, I thought you guys agreed on cash in the text.

I've paid him Paypal before so I don't see an issue...

#965 6 years ago

Hold on guys.

#969 6 years ago

It's not a payment issues. Just hold on guys.

There is no issue. Hold on, on the phone.

#974 6 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Just paypal the money to Buzz and have him hand cash to the guy. Geez, why is this so hard?

It's not. He doesn't have a Paypal account so it doesn't matter.

#978 6 years ago

Ok, this is the deal.

The reason Nate wanted to speak to me was this.

They are not going to charge me for the game. They want to make amends and make up for what transpired.

Shocked? I am. My jaw dropped.

They said there is a board that needs to be replaced and they will send that out to me when it comes in as well.

Essentially, they want to make this right.

So what do you guys say to that?

#979 6 years ago
Quoted from niftyled2:

*new account since we cannot re-activate our existing account for another 30 days or so.
Nate here again. We wanted to give an update. I just got off the phone with Josephand. I offered an apology and told him that we will not be charging him after all. We are trying to make this right and as an act of goodwill, we've decided not to charge anything for the time or parts we've put into the game. I also let Joseph know that there is a temporary lamp driver board in the game until the brand new Altek board that we bought has issues under warranty and as soon as that is repaired by Altek, we'll have it sent to Joseph.
The game will be picked up by another person later today.

I'm not sure what to say. I wasn't expecting this.

Very professional, very nice, and very contrite on the phone. I must say the phone call was appreciated.

I'm not one to take things for free though so I feel kind of odd here. My mood completely flipped around.

Wow. Talk about reaching out to make things right!

#985 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Honestly, they screwed up but come on, free? I would out of goodwill give them something. $2000 or something like that. Yeah, there was a misunderstanding but free, I think that is too much.

That's what I said but they insisted. They insist on making a statement with this and showing they care.

I think they accomplished that. I feel... I don't know what I feel. I need a beer.

#990 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

It won't feel right of you take it for free.
It will hang over you as.long as you own the machine .

I tend to agree with this.

#992 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

You insist and have your pickup guy leave some cash or tell him the cash is going in the garbage. They'll take it, and they should and not feel bad. Yeah, there was a misunderstanding, but imagine doing ALL that work for free because of a misunderstanding and some poor judgement for a day. At least comp the parts.

Agreed. I will Paypal a sum now. Actually, when Buzz gets it.

#1010 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

If they don’t want payment, and you want to give payment. Find a charity you both care about and donate $2k there. How about a local children’s hospital, since we’re all just big kids anyways with our fancy toys that bring us joy.
This gesture is surely a good thing for Nifty to do. It’s what you see happening in all the Christmas movies.

I think compensating for the parts at the least would be fair (minus the altek board)?

#1015 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If this is how they want to make amends, take it. If they wanted to offer half off, they could have. Take the game and walk away from it all.

I figured with all your inside info you already knew what was going down.

#1017 6 years ago
Quoted from niftyled2:

Thanks Sticky. As we talked about on the phone, really no payment is necessary. Although we appreciate the gesture. Maybe a donation to Pinball Outreach Project instead.

What is the pinball outreach project?

#1021 6 years ago

Well pinball outreach is closed so taking a look at Project Pinball.

Open to suggestions.

#1033 6 years ago

Well while everyone is spending my money let's get the pin home. Buzz is dropping it at my parents (felt unfair to have him drive all the way out here as my parents live much closer) and I'll pick it up from there when one of my cars gets back from the shop.

Let's all take a deep breath. Quite the wild ride.

#1046 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Around here? Wanna bet? We see this happen over and over. We've seen some great people disappear from the scene because they got fed up with the mob mentality and treatment of others (does McCune ring a bell?).
I know what you're trying to say, but it'll fall on deaf ears. Guess how I found out about this thread...I started getting harassing messages while still in bed. Yeah, just by association with Nifty the mob came and started pounding on my door. Good way to wake up, huh?
Listing the game for sale was a bad move. I'm sure Daniel wouldn't do it again given a chance to repeat it 101/100 times. But it was out of frustration and before he could deal with it hundreds of people started piling on, making threats to ruin businesses and lives, and doing anything other than looking for a resolution. It was really sad to watch. They've made their literal best offer to make it right, so I say let it play out.

What frustration? Come on man. You need to learn how to stay out of other people's business acting like you know what is going on.

Now you're crying the pinball mob is coming to get you in your sleep?

Give it a rest.

#1049 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

You should quit while you are ahead.

Why? Is Jar going to share his side of the story he's an imaginary participant in?

#1051 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You're a really nice and pleasant guy and I fail to see how a deal with you could have got difficult to work through.

Well you know me better than anyone.

#1053 6 years ago
Quoted from DanTheGlassMan:

Read this entire thread. Took a long time. Wasnt "entertained" like some of you but was genuinely concerned for sticky and his situation with nifty. Them making it right is a nice refreshing finish to this entire drama. That being said, sticky i assume did have pics of the finished game and was pleased to pay his original agreed 2550. If i were you sticky i would pay them what youve consistenty said you were okay paying them. If they absolutely refuse your payment dont donate to a pinball project thing. Its christmas. Donate to needy families. Sick children. Or veterans. THAT would be the REAL happy ending to this thread ive been rooting for.

I think we all have some time to think about the best way to go about this.

(edited by mod team)

#1055 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Anything I have to say comes across as "defending Nifty" and I'm already saying I'm not here to do that. You are making it painfully clear that you are an entitled and snarky jerk though. You're doing that to yourself, Mr. Bulldog and TV.
I was aware of your game well ahead of the thread. That's why I said that there was more to the story. I knew about their frustration to get the game unloaded. They didn't do this out of the blue to you, as much as you want to act like they did. It doesn't excuse putting the game up for sale, because that's wrong under any circumstances. But it's not like you were never contacted about picking it up at any point.

YOU. ARE. NOT. A. PART. OF. THE. STORY.

Either post something of substance to corroborate your nonsense or go away.

#1062 6 years ago

Then put him on ignore and stop making comments about hiring him a therapist. It looks extremely petty.

Almost as petty as taking on a contrary position without any knowledge of the situation and continually posting lies over and over in the face of overwhelming evidence to the opposite I would think.

#1066 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Wouldn't it also be petty to attack Nifty without knowledge? You can't have it both ways.
I get it. You're pissed and you have right. But stay reasonable.

Since your very first post I have no idea who you are, what you're talking about, or why you keep coming back for attention.

You're not involved at all. You have no knowledge. You have no proof. You haven't supported any statement.

There's something very off with you bud.

#1068 6 years ago

For a guy ending up getting his game restored for free you sure are eating a bunch of sour grapes. If it was me I would stop insulting someone that’s obviously friends with them an call it a day.

I don't remember asking for your advice. The sour grapes seem to be on that side of the keyboard.

Not sure what your agenda is here but I have no desire for any further advice from you. If I were you I would stop giving it.

#1073 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

The drama is what helped to make it right. This would absolutely still be going on had Sticky not posted the thread

Exactly. My game would be gone.

But let's hear more from practicalsteve about how I should just let some guy spew the same nonsense he has been spewing all thread.

If anything he remotely said was true would we be where we are now with the resolution that we are?

Everyone has been extremely helpful except for this dude who for some reason takes it upon himself to keep interjecting in a situation he has no knowledge of. I take offense to that.

I know exactly what transpired so it looks borderline crazy from where I'm sitting. The tone of the thread was great and we were getting resolution until again the same drivel is posted.

Oh well, Nifty stepped up and this is being resolved properly.

#1075 6 years ago

Oh sorry, I forgot how an open forum works. It’s cool for everyone to give an opinion as long as it coincides with yours. Enjoy your game bro.

I think you forgot it works both ways. Cya.

#1078 6 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Well, you're pretty much taunting him at this point. I agree with Steve (he's just so damn practical), let it go and I doubt Jar wants to add anything else.

If you read the thread over you'll know why.

But let's focus on this resolution. Buzz is there now and grabbing the machine.

#1081 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Not impressed with the 20 min. I've been here in my truck. But hey there is always bigger problems

I told them over an hour ago you were on the way. Sorry. I'll make sure to make it up to you.

#1083 6 years ago
Quoted from Jtm3:

Dude, you post on a forum to try and get help, then you tell people to stay out of it and "you have nothing to do with it". I was 100% in your corner from the beginning of this thread but now your losing me here. It seems to me that Nifty came to their senses and even tried to make up for being out of line by comping the whole job. Just friendly advice, get your machine and let it go. You are starting to look like a real jack-wagon...

I'm telling the same person who keeps saying they know the story and what took place to stay out of it.

Sorry, let me remind you what transpired. I posted documentation and support for my pin being taken from me and then this Jar fellow keeps interjecting saying I'm not innocent or at fault somehow repeatedly. With ZERO proof.

My reputation means something to me and I will continue to defend myself and I will not let the attacks slide. If he has proof of something he should post it but since page two he has not provided it and it is borderline slander at this point.

You can be on my side or not but I will stand up for the truth.

#1085 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

Buzz, you’re a good man. I hope Santa recognizes this and rewards you accordingly.

Hell of a guy. And so humble... man.

There are great people in this community.

He is loading it now

#1088 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Big props to niftyled2 for the 180 they’re doing. Very kind gesture.
sticky I think you should take a break from the thread and escape from getting too wrapped up in other peoples opinions and the drama that continues to trickle from this thread. At this point, it’s between you and nifty. It’s time to Get your game and move on.
Lessons learned on both sides. No need to look for anymore logs to burn.

I don't respond well to false allegations but I suppose we can focus on the good news now.

Buzz has it and his initial impressions are that it looks great. The cabinet, paint, and chrome he says are awesome. He said if he had room he'd be taking it to his house to play for a while.

So let's get it back to the positive aspects.

#1091 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

wait
how long has your car been in the shop
how much was the work estimate

If you're interested we can discuss it?

#1097 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

You should post about 20 pics of the game once you get it. I'm really curious what the entire thing looks like. Unless I missed some, I did skim past a couple pages of the thread.

I'll be at my parents Christmas Eve so as many photos and vids as you guys want I guess?

#1107 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You’re a good soul. Thank you for having some holiday spirit and kindness left in you to help make this right.

Can't be stated enough. Thank you Buzz for helping out and showing we can pull together as a community.

All your future beers with me are on me.

#1109 6 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Just a thought. 2 extremely shady people, who try to con you out of over 2k, now suddenly have a change of heart and want no money? I call bullshit. Pay them the original 2550 agreed upon price to cover your ass so they can't claim in court you pulled an O.J., or didn't pay them . If they don't want to take payment good on them, but let it be their decision to make with the cash in hand to donate it. Cover your ass. Have a receipt. Let them donate.

I'm not taking to them to court now or going to the police. It was close to that.

It was avoided and it took some time (more than it should have) but they ultimately did the right thing.

Will I ever get over seeing my pin for sale at 3 AM? If I got over my first girlfriend I can probably get over this.

It was a mess for sure and talk about an up and down ride of emotion but I just want to play the machine at this point.

#1112 6 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

I shoulda also stated yes it's good to forgive, but you'd be a fool to forget. I personally wouldn't do business with these two cons, but that's just me.

I have learned quite a bit. We all have.

#1115 6 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Agreed...they did the right thing and got you your game back. But donot give them any leverage to do the wrong thing again. It's great you got the game back, but personally if it were me I'd take any and all leverage out of their hands with a payment and receipt for the original agreed amount. If they don't want the money, it's their call. Let em donate it...good on them.

I don't think that would be possible considering all the documentation from texts, voicemails, emails, and this thread.

I think we're all glad it's over in a manner that did not result in a pinsider losing a pin from their collection.

#1129 6 years ago

I don't get everyone saying he should refuse to take the pin at no cost. The company isn't insisting on comping the work for his benefit, they're doing it for theirs. This is a business expense plain and simple to try to undo massive damage they did to themselves. The guy isn't being a man of his word by not paying. He said all along he wanted to pay what he owed and kept trying to do just that. But when the other side decide it WANTS to change the terms in his favor - after putting him through the ringer for three years or whatever - his prior obligation ends.

I tend to agree with this being the person that was put through the ringer.

I'm not just going to take a free pin though. Everyone will get some Christmas cheer.

From Buzz, to Pinside, to those less fortunate. I'll spread the wealth around.

Merry Christmas.

#1131 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

How much is all this grief worth? Just pick up your game and enjoy man.

Well I feel like since Pinside helped me resolve it Pinside plays a role in how we conclude it.

Buzz and my dad are playing the machine right now I think.

#1135 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My suggestion, whatever it's worth, is that if they're taking the step of giving you the machine for free, obviously as payment towards trying to salvage the hit to their reputation, and you're accepting it, that it might be nice to edit the title of this thread and the opening post with things being resolved in return.

I think that's a very fair start but before we get carried away I'd like to see the machine myself.

We can edit out the 'stolen' part though as it's in my possession so to speak.

#1141 6 years ago

Buzz left and for some reason he tried to refuse a tip. He got a tip despite his protests and a bottle of wine for his trouble. I'll see to it to invite him over to play some pinball and properly say thank you in person.

The machine works great from what I hear but the legs don't have those leveling pads at the bottom. Does anyone know if someone ships this overnight?

Anyway, so far so good with everything. Thanks again to all of you at Pinside.

#1146 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Not wanting to re-read 23 pages of posts, is the game/family located in Ladera Ranch? If so, I am in Lake Forest and I can set out 4 leveler legs for someone to pick up later tonight (after 6:30PM). Just PM me if you want them.

This community is amazing.

Thank you.

#1148 6 years ago

What should the thread title be edited to gentlemen? Since it's not stolen just call it what? The Playboy Panic of 2017?

#1156 6 years ago
Quoted from Jtm3:

“The Bulldog incident”?

You got a good chuckle out of me.

I'm going to take a break from the thread for a bit but if anyone has a good suggestion please share so we can begin to undo the damage.

Is it too early for a glass of cognac?

#1245 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I hope that people see that you can always help and be a good person in life. My day was fun especially with the dad. Here are some photos of us I took unfortunately in a rush. 5 1/2 hrs. And 130 miles with a smile on my face the whole time. Thank you Joseph for the really nice wine and $100 bucks it really helps. I feel bad taking anything because I give to give not to receive

You're a hard guy to tip and help out as you don't want to take anything! I get it, you wanted to show that despite things not always going as planned and problems popping up in life you can still be positive and help others.

You certainly demonstrated that. I owe you one.

Thank you so much for being the voice of reason.

#1249 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Thank you Sticky for the kind words as well as others. If I won the lottery i would be hanging with your dad like everyday. I really wish I had more time yesterday. I hope to meet you one day, but seriously bring your dad whenever that happens.

He's an amazing father. His stories would blow your mind with what he's been through in his life.

I can only hope to be anywhere near as good of father one day. He set the bar pretty high.

We're going to play some pinball at some point, count on it. Probably at your place!

#1254 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Buzz is a heck of a nice guy and a very generous and humble person, that’s why I like him. Time to think about changing the thread title Sticky, you accomplished what you set out to accomplish and they have done the right thing so maybe it’s time to let it go.

I agree. It's just I was asked to see if I could help with resolution of the domain name issue but that is something that will need to be worked out between those parties I think.

Fair is fair. Name changed.

#1259 6 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

What about the Porsche(s)?

What about them? Getting upgraded turbos my man.

#1260 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I personally dont like the new title as it really does not archive what occurred.

Kind of the point.

At this point I'm ready to laugh it all off and start having fun with pinball again.

#1266 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

Sticky, make sure you bring the bulldog.
Man, I feel like he’s such a part of this thread now and we don’t even know his name. Help us out Sticky and put a name with the face.

Oh how can you say you didn't see the face and name? It's a face you can't forget! Page 14: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orangecountypinballcom-daniel-buenrostro-tries-to-steal-my-machine/page/14

#1292 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The thread now has a Key Posts index.

Not sure who is putting it together with descriptions but the first key post omits my texts show nifty missing multiple completion dates with timestamps and nifty confirming they missed date after date and thanking me for my patience.

Second key omits that prices discussed in texts add up to $2550 and texts show I agreed to this. No texts reference $4200 until completion and my dispute of this amount.

Also, that while PayPal is not cash that I previously paid nifty with PayPal with no issue and have the receipt.

Not a big deal but if going this far at least be accurate.

#1293 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

My French Bulldog was a rescue (top picture) but my buddy just paid $6000 for this Frenchie pup..

That is one good looking pup!

#1302 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Game still seems to be for sale. Found this this morning

Heh how many places was it listed?

Rest assured gentlemen, I'm not selling it.

#1338 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Am I the only one who wants to see Sticky post a pic of the machine set up in his home giving the all clear thumbs up? This thread (or chapter in the story) needs a happy ending. Let's see that pic of Playboy set up and being enjoyed.

Soon gentlemen. I promise to update with details and offer closure to what was one of the most interesting threads I've ever participated in.

#1341 6 years ago

If I were to choose a single Bally from the era it would be Centaur.

However, the Playboy represents several things. The unobtainable for one. Hot chicks, money, incredible success, etc. When I was younger Playboy was a fantasy. It feels good to be able to own one now.

Furthermore, it's the ultimate man cave accessory. My place is like a big bachelor pad so the Playboy machine just adds that extra sort of vintage cool that nothing else can replicate.

The styling and sounds you just can't beat.

As for the gameplay, not the best of the era we all know that. Not the worst either. Definitely contrasts with my other machines offering something very different.

Quite the conversation starter too plus with Heff passing away it carries quite a bit of nostalgia.

I like it a lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sticky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orangecountypinballcom-daniel-buenrostro-tries-to-steal-my-machine?tu=Sticky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.