4140D12E-DC2F-416E-82DE-21FD325A8F8B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0841 (resized).PNG
IMG_0842 (resized).PNG
Castiel (resized).jpg
panamafeet (resized).jpg
IMG_0840 (resized).JPG
buzz-lightyear-to-the-rescue (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 1,374 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 28.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Uh, guys, you gonna just let that fly? That's some seriously strange attitude to take here.

Its a douchewagon post, much like the cayenne itself, but he's under a bit of stress.

#252 6 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Sounds like your best argument is that you don't know how to quote your own work accurately and now want more because your expenses were higher than you thought. Lame. You screwed up, and unless you gave the OP a heads up on increased costs, you blew it. No one to blame but yourself. Now you think the machine is worth more, so you want to sell it. Or keep it as a showcase. Pretty shady, and likely completely illegal.
Unless you can produce anything showing the OP agreed to these new charges, you're 100% in the wrong.

100% not the case here - The work done to this game was 100% approved by JOSEPH

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Uh, guys, you gonna just let that fly? That's some seriously strange attitude to take here.

Clearly the proper response to that is to take my machines and sell them.

#254 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Post anything which shows he agreed to pay $4,200.

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Its a douchewagon post, much like the cayenne itself, but he's under a bit of stress.

It's a 911 btw...

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Clearly the response to that is to take my machines and sell them.

You be happy he didn't work on your Cayenne.....

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

He can't.

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

This is why these things should work out in private. Truth is always in the middle, but I know one thing for sure, the American dream needs to be redefined to having a bulldog, three pinball machines, a Black Friday closeout TV set, and an "I'm richer than you so you're jealous!" attitude.

Well I’m sure the last straw was listing the game for sale with no documented attempt by nifty to get the guy this game for the agreed upon cost or something inbetween that and the final cost experienced.

Nifty did a terrible job estimating/managing this project and had cost overruns. Unless the customer approves those through a change order, nifty eats it. Plain and simple. It happens. They just need to get this game to the OP for 2550 and call it a day.

#259 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

But did you give him a detailed listing/summary of everything with included costs so he could see that the original $1850 was going to be seriously overrun?

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

You be happy he didn't work on your Cayenne.....

2017 Carrera! This work took so long I bought a new car in the meantime.

Of course I didn't pay the dealer for the price we agreed upon so he sold my Cayenne while I wasn't looking.

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well I’m sure the last straw was listing the game for sale with no documented attempt by nifty to get the guy this game for the agreed upon cost or something inbetween that and the final cost experienced.
Nifty did a terrible job estimating/managing this project and had cost overruns. Unless the customer approves those through a change order, nifty eats it. Plain and simple. It happens. They just need to get this game to the OP for 2550 and call it a day.

So he agrees to do chrome but doesnt have to pay for it? Thats how that works?

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

But did you give him a detailed listing/summary of everything with included costs so he could see that the original $1850 was going to be seriously overrun?

Nope... he was counting on me just accepting it.

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

It's a 911 btw...

You're not helping anything

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That’s what I’d like to see, otherwise I don’t believe Nifty even a little bit. Just by reading his comments, I am getting the impression that he is a shady character.

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Apparently how it works with you is you just sell people's games if they don't give you X amount of money.

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

I saw the Cayenne in the garage that you said isnt yours and the 1 High Speed pinball machine you have... nothing more.. I could give a crap

Maybe you’ll start caring about the value of items like that after your profits drop from your businesses due to the handling of this matter. I for one won’t ever buy your product as you’re shady at best.

#267 6 years ago

Sticky and Nifty: There has to be a solution here and for the sake of your business (nifty) I would work this out asap.

There is not $4K+ worth of work here and just giving the guy $800 for his game is seriously shady business. Taking 2.5 years to do the work and almost doubling the quote is insane as well. Can you 2 not agree to a mutual amount somewhere between $2500 and $3000?

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

It's a 911 btw...

You're not doing yourself any favors.

#269 6 years ago

I have been in the "service business" most of my life and I would always call a customer if there was a major change to work being done or cost. With something like this machine I could see a couple hundred over original quote but you can't up your cost by over $2000 without customers OK regardless of you reasons.

Second - you can't put machine up for sale for at least 90 days - if at all. You must give owner time to get machine regardless of "what you think".

Third - you are luck not to end up in court after having a machine 4 times as long as you agreed on originally. Owner has been more than fair so do the right thing or destroy your business & end up losing in court.

There might be two sides to every story but as a business owner your side seems very weak at best!

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Chrome doesn’t cost over 2k. The point is you did a bad job of communicating significant costs to the OP. And according to him the chrome was included in the 2550

#271 6 years ago

For me, I think Nifty either...

A) wanted to keep the game after seeing it turn out so beautifully based on marketing responses on their social media pages

B) wanted to keep the game from the client and resell it for a major profit, especially since Hefner died since he took the machine and that could inflate the value

C) thought based on the OP’s money that jacking the price up was fine and he’d make extra cash in the end since the client could afford it

It’s the holidays man... do the right thing and agree to the price of materials used here and make it right. It took two years and you failed over and over again at hitting your deadline.

The community is watching...

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I have been in the "service business" most of my life and I would always call a customer if there was a major change to work being done or cost. With something like this machine I could see a couple hundred over original quote but you can't up your cost by over $2000 without customers OK regardless of you reasons.
Second - you can't put machine up for sale for at least 90 days - if at all. You must give owner time to get machine regardless of "what you think".
Third - you are luck not to end up in court after having a machine 4 times as long as you agreed on originally. Owner has been more than fair so do the right thing or destroy your business & end up losing in court.
There might be two sides to every story but as a business owner your side seems very weak at best!

This all added up, slowly over time

Do you want to do this? Yes, Do you want to do this? yes - over the 3 or whatever many years ive had this game...

#273 6 years ago

I think nifty, jar and OP need to start a business together.

#274 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Do you want to do this? Yes, Do you want to do this? yes - over the 3 or whatever many years ive had this game...

this is part of the problem. A almost 3 year restore?

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

You're not doing yourself any favors.

Just want to make it clear I'm obviously cheap and refuse to pay for quality items. What other explanation could there be?

He used my game to market on social media and wanted to get more money either from me or by selling it himself...

#276 6 years ago

Nifty says $1,850 was the original price to paint the cabinet and shop the game. What did the OP think was included for the original price?

#277 6 years ago

And in as little as 5 hours a business has been destroyed.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Chrome doesn’t cost over 2k. The point is you did a bad job of communicating significant costs to the OP. And according to him the chrome was included in the 2550

Guys like this sure make me appreciate the good honest people that we have in our area!

#279 6 years ago

Your piss-poor decision making is going to lead to the destruction of your business. I'm sure this thread will get brought up every time people see you post now.

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Doesn’t matter. You listed items and a price. He agreed to said price. Those costs ended up being way over what you anticipated. He didn’t agree to that additional cost. You eat that additional cost or meet somewhere in the middle. Pretty simple.

#281 6 years ago

Just a suggestion ..... with the Pinball Amigos moving their build to Saturday can we hit the pause button on this topic and bring it up again tomorrow to fill the Amigos original time slot?

Please continue .... (man stepped away for 30 minutes and there were 160 new post)

#282 6 years ago

I don't agree with stating what you own as a valid reason for any of this. Many including myself have way more than you do. You are young and maybe associate what you have as who you are, but I don't think this is the case. Somewhere communication is the problem or you discovered spending that much for an old pin was crazy especially once we have all seen the CA secondary market take a dive.

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

But did you ever tell him what additional costs were going to be associated with all these additions? Maybe he was a bit naïve thinking all the upgrades would be included in the original budget, but as a businessman, you have the obligation to inform your customer.

#284 6 years ago

This is literally the dichotomy of Pinball for me and my hesitation to go deeper in the hobby financially.

Actions and reactions by Nifty are what scares me to get deeper into this hobby with hiring ‘professionals’ to help, or buying expensive items from start-up companies like this. Very scary stuff with businesses like Nifty out there.

Then you have the reactions from the very small Pinball community and it restores my faith in the hobby that people are looking out for each other, and willing to go to bat for someone they don’t know when it’s clear something foul is happening.

Despite situations like this, and several other high profile cases of fraud, I’m going to side with the good nature of the hobbyists in this community and PLAY ON!

#285 6 years ago

I’d still like to know why it has taken three years to fix the game. That’s beyond insane!

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Dude...Really? Niftyled (Daniel Buenrostro)
Let everyone be aware there is no need to buy LED's for pinballs from dealers anymore.
They all come from the same sources in asia.
Go to ebay, punch in your socket and voltage, you get many, many choices for LED's!
Merry Christmas Everyone, my helpful hint of the day to save money.

#287 6 years ago

NiftyLED how exactly did you come up with that $4200 number anyways? Where's the cost breakdown? Parts, Labor, etc...

#288 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I think nifty, jar and OP need to start a business together.

I don't want any part of that! Hah.

Everybody just needs to be made whole. Figure out what it takes to make it so nobody is eating any cost and everybody walk away from it. I know that Daniel doesn't want the game. I know that Nifty wants to be rid of the game. Obviously the OP wants his game. Just figure this out, it shouldn't be too hard.

I stopped restoring games for this very reason. I had a client keep emailing me "hey, do you think we can also do X, Y, and Z" throughout the process. I kept doing it. I did keep good records, and when it came time to deliver, he went silent on me. It took me threatening to show up to his house to figure out the issue: his wife didn't know how much he was sinking into it, and he was afraid it was too much. In the end, I gave him his machine and he covered all of my hard costs. I ate the labor and whatever else I lost in other work I had to turn away because I was busy with his project. The whole experience soured me from doing it. Margins were already razor thin, and it wasn't worth the effort. I'll do my own machines now, and I'll leave restorations to actual restoration businesses. This irks me because it all rings so familiar.

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

niftyled how exactly did you come up with that $4200 number anyways? Where's the cost breakdown? Parts, Labor, etc...

Heres a list of parts used

stencil kit
chrome leg bolts
purple gels
Alltek lamp board
Alltek MPU board
Alltek Solenoid board
lane guides
coil
playfield red posts
flipper & shaft
chrome lift trim
cabinet buttons and housings
leg bolt plate
plastic set
LED displays
pop bumper cap set
pop bumper body
led kit
rubber kit
coin door price plates
coin door sticker
pop bumper skirt

and the list of services performed - excluding my labor - how many hours do you think it would take to get this game to where it is?

Cabinet repair, sand, basecoat
playfield touchup
chrome/polishing of metal parts

#290 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It's really this simple.

I can't even get over seeing my pin up for sale out of nowhere.

Let's assume even if the costs went up without him telling me how does he justify trying to sell it without any communication? That is blatant theft. How could anyone ever trust this guy with a pin again?

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

This is literally the dichotomy of Pinball for me and my hesitation to go deeper in the hobby financially.
Actions and reactions by Nifty are what scares me to get deeper into this hobby with hiring ‘professionals’ to help, or buying expensive items from start-up companies like this. Very scary stuff with businesses like Nifty out there.
Then you have the reactions from the very small Pinball community and it restores my faith in the hobby that people are looking out for each other, and willing to go to bat for someone they don’t know when it’s clear something foul is happening.
Despite situations like this, and several other high profile cases of fraud, I’m going to side with the good nature of the hobbyists in this community and PLAY ON!

You should be scared.

There are plenty of buffoons like this in the hobby who have no idea how to properly operate a legitimate business and conduct themselves in a professional manner.

I would call my lawyer and plan to pick up my game at the end of the day for the price which was originally agreed to by both parties.

#292 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Please provide the text that shows you quoting him a price of all the work to be performed and how you get to 4200 and him agreeing.

Quoted from Sticky:

Doesn't exist.

Bam! Game over. Give the OP his pin for the agreed upon price and call it a day.

#293 6 years ago

Hey NiftyLED you need to learn how to talk to a customer without being an idiot. but quick question... Why did you steal your website URL and business name from Evan from Orange County Pinball in Fullerton, CA? His website has a "s" after pinball... www.orangecountypinballs.com and has been in business way longer than you have. Was it you goal to confuse customers since his company is so well known and has a great reputation?

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffreeStar:

Hey niftyled you need to learn how to talk to a customer without being an idiot. but quick question... Why did you steal your website URL and business name from Evan from Orange County Pinball in Fullerton, CA? His website has a "s" after pinball... http://www.orangecountypinballs.com and has been in business way longer than you have. Was it you goal to confuse customers since his company is so well known and has a great reputation?

Sorry, it was 100% the other way around as far as i know.

I didnt even know about Evan

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

The guy knows the price of bulldogs and TVs, not pinball machines.

I do similar work sometimes for folks. Whenever more work is requested, or issues come up, THE FIRST THING I DO is talk money. The guy kept asking for things and expected it would be free? That's silly. You kept agreeing/suggesting more work and never mentioned that this crappy game was turning into a money pit? That's silly too.

What's the cost of a nice bulldog go for these days anyway? I'm looking to impress my mailman!

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Heres a list of parts used
stencil kit
chrome leg bolts
purple gels
Alltek lamp board
Alltek MPU board
Alltek Solenoid board
lane guides
coil
playfield red posts
flipper & shaft
chrome lift trim
cabinet buttons and housings
leg bolt plate
plastic set
LED displays
pop bumper cap set
pop bumper body
led kit
rubber kit
coin door price plates
coin door sticker
pop bumper skirt
and the list of services performed - excluding my labor
Cabinet repair, sand, basecoat
playfield touchup
chrome/polishing of metal parts

Thanks. First thing to note. You contracted others to some work. That is stuff you needed to communicate right up front as the cost is easy to estimate.

All of the above gets me to about 2600 bucks. That’s basically what the op is willing to pay. You’re Labor needs to be severely discounted due to it taking FOREVER. So I say 3k and this goes away. But I say stick to 2500 due to trying to sell this dudes game. That was lame as hell.

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I do similar work sometimes for folks. Whenever more work is requested, or issues come up, THE FIRST THING I DO is talk money. The guy kept asking for things and expected it would be free? That's silly. You kept agreeing/suggesting more work and never mentioned that this crappy game was turning into a money pit? That's silly too.
What's the cost of a nice bulldog go for these days anyway? I'm looking to impress my mailman!

Ill agree with you 100% here... there appears to have been a communication issue

#298 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They range from $1200-$2600. Don't forget the 2-3K in veterinarian visits per year though. They look perfect in the front seat of a 911.

#299 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dog is more than the machine.

I bought a machine over $5k from a pinsider and both of my other machines from pinsiders. I've been on this forum twice as long as you. You think I'm new to pinball costs?

I'm just new to getting screwed by a pinsider, that's all.

All that had to happen here was giving me my game for what we agreed to. That's it. He tried to steal it instead.

#300 6 years ago

Wow I was woke up this morning with multiple messages from customers who saw this thread. Thanks for the heads up

We are OrangeCountyPinballs.com out of Fullerton, CA and have a brick & mortar store.

Daniel Buenrostro is no way associated with us.

We have dealt with Sticky and he is a stand-up guy who bought a Champion Pub from us years ago.

Please do not confuse us with this big cluster.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
There are 1,374 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 28.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orangecountypinballcom-daniel-buenrostro-tries-to-steal-my-machine/page/6?hl=rjbowes3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.