4140D12E-DC2F-416E-82DE-21FD325A8F8B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0841 (resized).PNG
IMG_0842 (resized).PNG
Castiel (resized).jpg
panamafeet (resized).jpg
IMG_0840 (resized).JPG
buzz-lightyear-to-the-rescue (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 1,374 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 28.
#501 6 years ago

At this point, even if Nifty did the right thing, this thread should give prospective customers pause.

1) Inflating the quoted price.
2) Attempting to sell the customers machine.
3) Regestering a domain name to confuse customers of an already established business.
4) Lying about who registered the name first.
5) Snarky responses
6) Creepy naked pic on Facebook site

Have I missed anything?

#502 6 years ago

We need a judge!!!

7F4448C2-E3E2-417E-827A-B44D5107D121 (resized).jpeg7F4448C2-E3E2-417E-827A-B44D5107D121 (resized).jpeg

#503 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

What exact damages does OP have? has he lost any money? has he lost his machine? no, he can have the machine if he pays for the repairs done to it. Its the same thing if you take your car to a mechanic.

A mechanic will be clear & up-front about what the costs will be. They usually offer a print out or write-up of some sort for the estimate for the customer to look over and approve (or not). It was foolish for you not to do this, but also foolish for the OP not to request something in writing, especially with dealing with sums like this and complicated work like this.

What you really should be doing is sending a write-up with an estimate to the customer, and listing exactly what work will be done. This protects both you and the customer. If there are any changes to that original estimate for additional items or costs (if you run into unexpected problems, or the customer expresses interest in having something more done/added), then send change orders for the customer to approve.

Most of us are fairly trusting in this hobby with folks we interact with, but when we're talking significant amounts like this, the people on both sides of the table really need to be very clear on what will be happening in order to avoid big disagreements like this.

Quoted from NiftyLED:

has he lost his machine?

He nearly did when you listed it on ebay and facebook right out from under him... This just compounded the whole issue of why the OP is so upset. I certainly would be. Completely unethical, IMHO, and you threw any goodwill you might have had for negotiation right out the window.

#504 6 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

At this point, even if Nifty did the right thing, this thread should give perspective customers pause.
3) Regestering a domain name to confuse customers of an already established business.
5) Snarky responses
Have I missed anything?

Just the fact that you need to place your order with Nifty for all your LED needs!!!

#505 6 years ago

OK, my eyes are now bleeding from just reading all of this. As a business owner, I am going to give 2 cents worth of valuable advice to both parties.

Nifty, you trying to sell this machine, that IS not your property, is 100% illegal. Same with your so called mechanic's lien, you served no legal notice to the customer, it's toilet paper. You quoted the guy approx $2550, took over 2 years, but cannot show any additional costs quoted to the customer. You have caused some serious damage to your reputation. Your $800 offer made you look even worse.

Sticky, this is partially your fault for not following up with and demanding your machine be finished in a timely manner and asking for "where are we at" for costs. Nifty took as much time as you continued to allow. With that said, law in this case is on YOUR side. You actually may be due damages for him trying to sell your machine if this went to small claims.

Now, if the estimate was truly $2550, Nifty has all rights to exceed that estimate by 10% without having your permission. That puts this machine at $2805. Pay it , be done, BOTH SIDES.

#506 6 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

At this point, even if Nifty did the right thing, this thread should give perspective customers pause.
5) Snarky responses
Have I missed anything?

That Nifty LED is not so Nifty afterall

#507 6 years ago

Screw it, go to court. It's hassle, but once it's ruled on, there's no more back and forth and it's over. The difference the two sides are off here on the final offers is less than the time investment small claims will take. You'll both need to take time off work to resolve it. Have fun! Small claims sucks.

#508 6 years ago

Wow, so much drama!!! I know where NOT to buy from..... I’ll stick to cointaker

#509 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

OK, my eyes are now bleeding from just reading all of this. As a business owner, I am going to give 2 cents worth of valuable advice to both parties.
Nifty, you trying to sell this machine, that IS not your property, is 100% illegal. Same with your so called mechanic's lien, you served no legal notice to the customer, it's toilet paper. You quoted the guy approx $2550, took over 2 years, but cannot show any additional costs quoted to the customer. You have caused some serious damage to your reputation. Your $800 offer made you look even worse.
Sticky, this is partially your fault for not following up with and demanding your machine be finished in a timely manner and asking for "where are we at" for costs. Nifty took as much time as you continued to allow. With that said, law in this case is on YOUR side. You actually may be due damages for him trying to sell your machine if this went to small claims.
Now, if the estimate was truly $2550, Nifty has all rights to exceed that estimate by 10% without having your permission. That puts this machine at $2805. Pay it , be done, BOTH SIDES.

I already stated I was comfortable with paying more and we could have resolved this easily. He decided he would take my machine and sell it without informing me.

No invoice as he claims. No notice. Nothing. He just tried to make a quick $5500 at my expense.

I'm not going to reward him for that now.

#510 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You'll both need to take time off work to resolve it. Have fun! Small claims sucks.

I must be the only one who thought it was kinda fun going to small claims court....

#511 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Most of us are fairly trusting in this hobby with folks we interact with, but when we're talking significant amounts like this, both sides of the table really need to be very clear on what will be happening in order to avoid big disagreements like this.

This is true in ALL hobbies! I could've seen this happening to an amateur or casual restorer, that was NOT a business. The fact that the Nifty company IS a business has me left speechless. No documentation of price increases? Wow.

Hope the OP get's his merchandise back. I would have had a heart-attack if I saw one of my machines up for sale.

#512 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I certainly would be. Completely unethical, IMHO, and you threw any goodwill you might have had for negotiation right out the window.

Amen!

#513 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Just work it out here. It's so much better.

Ya.......for us!

#514 6 years ago

The only concern I have at this point for the OP is what condition the game will be in once he gets it back!

#515 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

With that said, law in this case is on YOUR side. You actually may be due damages for him trying to sell your machine if this went to small claims.

I wonder if the judge may rule that the game is worth the 5k that Nifty was trying to sell it for and award damages in that amount?

#516 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I must be the only one who thought it was kinda fun going to small claims court....

I've got a case against an insurance company right now for $1400. I could easily take it to small claims (have documentation and everything), but I just don't want the headache. I hate the process.

#517 6 years ago

Oh look what I just received. Anything suspicious about the time/date? An invoice AFTER he tried to put my game up for sale for not paying an invoice?

You can't make this stuff up at this point.

invoice (resized).pnginvoice (resized).png

#518 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Pretty much it.
I probably would have paid the $3k no questions asked if he ever got back to me but after his responses and just seeing my game for sale I do not intend to reward him.
I don't care about $400 this way or that way I care about this guy getting away with screwing me.

I know you are upset and it’s easier said than done considering the emotional roller coaster of the last few hours but... I’d pay the $3000 to have my game back now. I could enjoy it over the holidays and not let this fester for several more months. How long is the backup for small claims court - 6 months? Longer?

#519 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

I already stated I was comfortable with paying more and we could have resolved this easily. He decided he would take my machine and sell it without informing me.
No invoice as he claims. No notice. Nothing. He just tried to make a quick $5500 at my expense.

While I understand your sentiment is $300 really worth all that hassle (court, filing a report, fees, time taken). I'd pay what vdojaq mentioned get the game and call it a day. Instead of burrying your case in paperwork with lawyers, judges etc... Agree with nifty a pick time and get a friend who knows there shit to pick it up with the money in had. Hell you can even have him skype the damn thing so you can see first hand.

#520 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Is a ten person Pinball gang forming are they going to have cool motorcycles.

Yes, we have motorcycles. But being that 8 are from Milwaukee we also have a collective BAC of 76.92...
Luckily, like most WI residents, we also have scooters, which I believe you are legally required to be at 2.08 to operate.
California here we come! Boy is it gonna be a shitty Valentine's Day for you when we get there Nifty.

#521 6 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

I know you are upset and it’s easier said than done considering the emotional roller coaster of the last few hours but... I’d pay the $3000 to have my game back now. I could enjoy it over the holidays and not let this fester for several more months. How long is the backup for small claims court - 6 months? Longer?

I live without the game for two and a half years. I can live however long it is until justice prevails.

We can't allow people to get away with this. At least not in a close-knit community like this about a hobby.

I'm not letting him extort $450.

#522 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I wonder if the judge may rule that the game is worth the 5k that Nifty was trying to sell it for and award damages in that amount?

No, court is never about making someone more than whole. A 5k judgement for Sticky would be a handsome profit for him. Likely the Judge will offer Sticky 2 options. Either Nifty pays the $800 original cost of the machine to Sticky and Nifty keeps the machine (Both parties are whole) or the Judge will do some "rough justice" and decide how much Nifty should get for their work and then Sticky gets the machine if he pays that amount.

#523 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Oh look what I just received. Anything suspicious about the time/date? An invoice AFTER he tried to put my game up for sale for not paying an invoice?

I need j_m_ profile pic right now.

#524 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

No, this isn't a reward, but it is a verbal contract for the initial $1850. The other monies were in plain text. There is no need for revenge at this point, his reputation in this community is now shit(maybe not to some random guy with info from Utah).

If your time is worth the hassle at this point, by all means take him to court. He tried to rip you off, because he has no legs to stand on with the extras. But at this point, for $2800 you are getting a damn fine looking playboy, that personally I believe is worth all of $2800.

You get to walk away with your restored machine, enjoy it. He walks away with a damaged reputation that he may never recover from.

#525 6 years ago

Is Nifty a member of the LED puke club?

#526 6 years ago

When this finally gets settled I demand this thread, or a new one, switrch over to a shit ton of picture of this resto job.

We all want to know what a 4-5K 3 year job looks like

#527 6 years ago

Does Nifty not have ANY business partners? If so, they have to be blowing up his phone or email over this trying to get him off the ledge. No way there's yet another group of 'businessmen' with any shred of dignity or sense saying "get em' Daniel! we'll show him who's boss!"...

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#528 6 years ago

Do you have "Thread of the Year" on this site?

#529 6 years ago

If it were my game or if it was my company I would call the other party and try to come to some sort of middle ground in a civil manner. Obviously the starting minimum is the cost of the parts and any written quotes and the maximum is the price that was requested to get the game back.
Surely both parties are best off to come to some middle ground and move on. This does not help either one of your reputations in the hobby.

#530 6 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

500 ways to destroy your business

Exactly... I can't believe this guy is acting like this and throwing away his business in a matter of hours. Just give the guy his machine back with the price agreed upon and swallow the pride. He also has to deal with his company name that he STOLE lol he'll be getting a call about that soon I'm sure. Sounds like a real POS.

#531 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Nifty, you just buried yourself. An invoice with today's date, after you tried selling this guy's machine on EBay and Facebook?

#532 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffreeStar:

Exactly... I can't believe this guy is acting like this and throwing away his business in a matter of hours. Just give the guy his machine back with the price agreed upon and swallow the pride. He also has to deal with his company name that he STOLE lol he'll be getting a call about that soon I'm sure. Sounds like a real POS.

Does anybody buy LEDs from Nifty anyway? I mean, most people I see are buying from Comet or Cointaker.

#533 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Do you have "Thread of the Year" on this site?

10k posts by x-mas!

#534 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

No, this isn't a reward, but it is a verbal contract for the initial $1850. The other monies were in plain text. There is no need for revenge at this point, his reputation in this community is now shit(maybe not to some random guy with info from Utah).
If your time is worth the hassle at this point, by all means take him to court. He tried to rip you off, because he has no legs to stand on with the extras. But at this point, for $2800 you are getting a damn fine looking playboy, that personally I believe is worth all of $2800.
You get to walk away with your restored machine, enjoy it. He walks away with a damaged reputation that he may never recover from.

I hear you and it's reasonable but he is demanding $3k and I won't give him that.

I wanted the amount we agreed to but said in the spirit of resolution I would go to $2650 to show I'm not inflexible and for the good of the community.

He responds to that with a letter 'demanding' I pay $4200 or he will do whatever he wants. At least this time he's telling me before he'll try to sell my machine.

Now should I really give him money for that?

#535 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Nifty, you just buried yourself. An invoice with today's date, after you tried selling this guy's machine on EBay and Facebook?

That is exactly what he just did. He changed the invoice pdf to show 11/28 though so he's really super slick.

#536 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Does anybody buy LEDs from Nifty anyway? I mean, most people I see are buying from Comet or Cointaker.

I think a hand full of California dudes did because its convenient but.. don't think 2018 will be very busy for him lol

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I have in the past when Comet was out of stock on something. Never again.

#538 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

I hear you and it's reasonable but he is demanding $3k and I won't give him that.
I wanted the amount we agreed to but said in the spirit of resolution I would go to $2650 to show I'm not inflexible and for the good of the community.
He responds to that with a letter 'demanding' I pay $4200 or he will do whatever he wants. At least this time he's telling me before he'll try to sell my machine.

No , but give him the legal $2805 and be done. After the little invoice scenario, Nifty would have to completely off his rocker to not take the $2805 and lick his wounds.

#539 6 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

The letter seriously says you have to pay $4200, after he's already said $3k here? That's gold right there. No judge is going to take his side.

#540 6 years ago

I would like to see an entire itemization of the parts costs that Nifty has done. Labor is additional but I just would like to see the parts and costs.

#541 6 years ago

I'd still like to point out that OP has still not ever denied letting me proceed with the work even if cost wasnt mentioned..

Did he really think chrome was free? LED displays are free? LEDs? Plastic set?

11/28/2017 is the date I told you the total and the date that I wrote up that invoice...

#542 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Does anybody buy LEDs from Nifty anyway?

No I hear most of their monies come from resto jobs

#543 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

The letter seriously says you have to pay $4200, after he's already said $3k here? That's gold right there. No judge is going to take his side.

Yes, seriously.

#544 6 years ago

Nifty, don't be anymore stupid , accept the legal $2805 and be done with it.

#545 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Nifty, don't be anymore stupid , accept the legal $2805 and be done with it.

Where are you getting that figure? nowhere has he said he'd pay that

#546 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

I'd still like to point out that OP has still not ever denied letting me proceed with the work even if cost wasnt mentioned..
Did he really think chrome was free? LED displays are free? LEDs? Plastic set?
11/28/2017 is the date I told you the total and the date that I wrote up that invoice...

Um I denied it and posted the texts denying it. You just have poor reading comprehension. Anyone who spends the morning after being caught selling someone's machine creating an invoice after the fact has to have poor reading skills.

#547 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

sick bastard. LOL

#548 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Great, where is the legal service of the mechanic's lien to Sticky? You have to have that to sell his property. You tried to sell his machine less than the legal 90 days, hell 3 weeks, you are fucked.

#549 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

sick bastard. LOL

That's literally what a coworker of mine told me just yesterday. And then I told him the whole story of what happened and he laughed and said I was still a sick bastard, but in this case, he understood why I thought it was fun. LOL

#550 6 years ago

Posse'd up and ready for payback. You done messed up Thrifty.
29cbaf5c1220aeb04cfeab36d553fd65--dumb-and-dumber-mini-bike (resized).jpg29cbaf5c1220aeb04cfeab36d553fd65--dumb-and-dumber-mini-bike (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 1,374 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 28.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orangecountypinballcom-daniel-buenrostro-tries-to-steal-my-machine/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.