• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0012.JPG
100_0107-143.JPG
100_0322.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

There are just far too many variables to say warm white in orange inserts, cool white in yellow inserts,

This is correct.

First, your answer will depend on playing in light or dark, a new game with clear inserts, or an older game with 30 years of ball wear, frosting that same insert.
All the answers work.

For orange, Natural white, warm white, or orange...sometimes a brighter orange like a 4 SMD.
Sometimes a clear orange for a new Stern with a clear insert...All personal taste, each one with a slightley different appearance. It depends on you, where the insert is on the playfield, and your taste.

Yellow is another story. In general, they suck. The color yellow will never have the same brightness as another color
say as a single 5050.

However, there are several ways to use yellow that look good.
Frosted 6mm or 8mm, ONLY as an indicator light, instead of a condom bulb.
In a frosted SMD. While the light output is not the same, because of a frosted lens, the yellow is dispersed and actually brighter or more noticeable then a clear. In some GI uses, this is the perfect choice for yellow.

Lastly, when you truly want Yellow or Orange, try our Op-Max.
We had a need from John here on the boards, at the APE show, to match other colors in Pop Bumpers in an EM
Game. He tried every bulb we had, and settled on a yellow Op-Max, as it is the brightest we know of, and it matched the brightness of the others...
The yellow and orange in this bulb need to be seen to be appreciated.....they are something unique.

Thant being said, they can be overkill for some inserts, because of a brightness bleed to other inserts.
Not always, depends on the game....but I have put them to good use.

Just watch the plain clear yellow LEDs....use alot less use then people think......I use yellow Optix Super Flux in my yellow inserts as I see the same brightness, as others, no ghosting less flickering, and the brightness matches well.

Art

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I used to think that as well, but then found a great use for the yellow capless 5050s.... Clear Stern inserts (especially lower down on the playfield- warm and cool white are just so bright in there.

I agree with that, especially new or newer games. Clear or without lens....Non ghosting if needed,
I think I use all combinations, depending on game and "mood" when I do them.
I tend to put the warm white or pink, when they are further up the playfield.

I was meaning the yellow LEDs, the inexpensive ones.....people are not pleased with the fact that they dont put
out a large volume of yellow light.....I havent found much use for them except EM and SS, but people try them in
newer games, and are not as pleased.

.....and still tunasled, finds his usage the same and fine......another LED debate, that ends in personal taste......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orange-leds-no-good?tu=oldpinguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.