You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0012.JPG
100_0107-143.JPG
100_0322.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Was just pimping out my Space Shuttle, which of course has a lot of orange inserts. After installing a couple of LED's they just don't seem to pop like the red or the white. They came from Pinballlife. They aren't defective, just wondering if I should have gone with a different color instead of orange under the orange insert. Anyone else run into this?

#2 10 years ago

Believe, it or not, white or yellow LED's will look better with the orange inserts. Same with yellow inserts, orange or white LED's look better.

My local supplier has a used playfield on display with diff colored LED's per color of insert, the difference is dramatic.

#3 10 years ago

Even yellows are not too bright.

Go with warm whites for yellows and oranges.

#4 10 years ago

Good to know! Anyone want to but some orange LED's? Kidding. I thought the white might be a better choice!

#5 10 years ago

Warm white for yellow, pink for orange. Toss the orange and yellow LEDs.

#6 10 years ago

I dunno I have orange 1 smds ng from comet and they are fine really have a nice orange and they are brite

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from smileymatthew:

They came from Pinballlife. They aren't defective, just wondering if I should have gone with a different color instead of orange under the orange insert. Anyone else run into this?

Orange are great . Do not put white or some other color .Use orange . I LED 17 pinball and always used orange to color match. Did you order the cheap .39 cent one ? if so no good . Ablaze 3 LED .69 cents are bright. Do not turn your orange inserts to some other color. Cointaker super bright orange are great. There Ultra bright will really pop. But Ultra put off heat. CoinTaker nonghosting are very bright. Don't settle it can be done. Here are some photos of pinball were I used orange. Peace !

100_0322.JPG100_0322.JPG 100_0107-143.JPG100_0107-143.JPG 100_0012.JPG100_0012.JPG
#8 10 years ago

Depends on your desired effect for orange and yellow inserts. I typically like cool whites in most yellows as it makes it pure bright yellow rather than a deeper yellow that you get from warm white or pink. I like the yellows to be very different than the orange inserts.

As for oranges, no question, orange 4SMD. I buy them from Comet and they are AWESOME! 1SMD orange suck and are way dimmer than the other 1SMD bulbs (except for yellows that suck too). The 4SMD orange under an insert will be about the same brightness as the 1SMD in the other colors. The real benefit is you'll get a nice deep orange color, something all the other alternatives listed here won't really give you. I started using pinks as suggested here, but once I discovered the 4SMD oranges, I've gone back and replaced them in all my games.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Orange are great . Do not put white or some other color .Use orange . I LED 17 pinball and always used orange to color match. Did you order the cheap .39 cent one ? if so no good . Ablaze 3 LED .69 cents are bright. Do not turn your orange inserts to some other color. Cointaker super bright orange are great. There Ultra bright will really pop. But Ultra put off heat. CoinTaker nonghosting are very bright. Don't settle it can be done. Here are some photos of pinball were I used orange. Peace !

100_0322.JPG 307 KB

100_0107-143.JPG 285 KB

100_0012.JPG 300 KB

warm white LEDs under orange keep the original orange color and match the brightness or the inserts around them

#10 10 years ago

I don't think oranges/yellows look too good. I feel like they don't match in brightness to other colors.
I always try to get like the next level of brightness up (i.e. instead of 1 SMD I try to get 2 SMDs) or try to find replacements like warm white for yellow.

#11 10 years ago

I use matching colors on all inserts with the exception of yellow and white. I use cool white for yellow inserts and warm white for orange inserts. Makes the colors POP! I use strictly Cointaker LEDs and love the results. I have used LED strips and spots from Pinballbulbs and have been very pleased with them. I don't use any pre-packaged kits as I like to do my own thing. I just buy LEDs in bulk from Cointaker.

#12 10 years ago

Cointaker orange supers are great. Really makes the flames pop on my DND.

#13 10 years ago

In my BOP I followed a LED insert guide and colour matched them all except yellow, and used frosted whites for the yellows. It all looks perfect.

On my Gorgar it was a different story though. Orange frosted for orange inserts look really dull, and white was too white for the yellow inserts, so I used frosted yellow LEDs which look great.

I think what I'm getting at is, experiment and you'll find the right LEDs for the job.

#14 10 years ago

Yeah I have a orange in my dr dude its in a clear insert but its not as bright as a green. From pinballlife also. Its a ghostbuster

#15 10 years ago

orange and yellow are waste of money unless there supers you can also use bulb covers to add some color to frosted or clear white leds

#16 10 years ago

I use whites under the orange and yellow inserts, looks great. I color match all the other colored inserts though.

#17 10 years ago

Comet 4 SMD all the way!

#18 10 years ago

Yeah I tossed some orange non ghosting bulbs in my Truck Stop last night and it looks great. Pop just as much as the other colors. Mine are from Pinball Life as well. They were the 89 cent ones.

#19 10 years ago

The only time I would suggest yellow and orange would be if a flex will work so you can get the light right up on the insert. Yellow and orange flex's look okay for the TZ mini playfield. Other than that, follow most of the posts above.

#20 10 years ago

I think that it depends on if you have red, orange and yellow inserts all next to each other

I found on one of my pins that using color matching abaze LEDs (44's), that a yellow LED made a yellow insert look orange and a orange LED in an orange insert looked too deep as well (almost red).

blue and green inserts tend to pop really well with a color matched LED, but for orange, red and yellow inserts, you need to play around with different colors and whites to get the desired results

#21 10 years ago

Sttng has a ton of side mounted insert bulbs how do u use a
Flat 4smd with that?

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

Sttng has a ton of side mounted insert bulbs how do u use a
Flat 4smd with that?

Get the flex Style bulbs and bend them up

#23 10 years ago

There are just far too many variables to say warm white in orange inserts, cool white in yellow inserts, etc. I only use 5050SMDs (capless) in my inserts and those things are BRIGHT. I find that the closer I get to the flippers, the more I find myself using orange and yellow instead of warm and cool white to take some of the intensity out of the insert. They don't have the brightness of the warm and cool white, and in a lot of situations, that is a good thing....

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

There are just far too many variables to say warm white in orange inserts, cool white in yellow inserts,

This is correct.

First, your answer will depend on playing in light or dark, a new game with clear inserts, or an older game with 30 years of ball wear, frosting that same insert.
All the answers work.

For orange, Natural white, warm white, or orange...sometimes a brighter orange like a 4 SMD.
Sometimes a clear orange for a new Stern with a clear insert...All personal taste, each one with a slightley different appearance. It depends on you, where the insert is on the playfield, and your taste.

Yellow is another story. In general, they suck. The color yellow will never have the same brightness as another color
say as a single 5050.

However, there are several ways to use yellow that look good.
Frosted 6mm or 8mm, ONLY as an indicator light, instead of a condom bulb.
In a frosted SMD. While the light output is not the same, because of a frosted lens, the yellow is dispersed and actually brighter or more noticeable then a clear. In some GI uses, this is the perfect choice for yellow.

Lastly, when you truly want Yellow or Orange, try our Op-Max.
We had a need from John here on the boards, at the APE show, to match other colors in Pop Bumpers in an EM
Game. He tried every bulb we had, and settled on a yellow Op-Max, as it is the brightest we know of, and it matched the brightness of the others...
The yellow and orange in this bulb need to be seen to be appreciated.....they are something unique.

Thant being said, they can be overkill for some inserts, because of a brightness bleed to other inserts.
Not always, depends on the game....but I have put them to good use.

Just watch the plain clear yellow LEDs....use alot less use then people think......I use yellow Optix Super Flux in my yellow inserts as I see the same brightness, as others, no ghosting less flickering, and the brightness matches well.

Art

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yellow is another story. In general, they suck. The color yellow will never have the same brightness as another color
say as a single 5050.

I used to think that as well, but then found a great use for the yellow capless 5050s.... Clear Stern inserts (especially lower down on the playfield- warm and cool white are just so bright in there. I only use orange, yellow, pink, or sometimes purple on the lower clear Stern inserts). I also like the yellow as an accent color in GI (like yourself) and various backbox applications as well. I was actually surprised how fast I go through yellow, but I think that is because I made the switch to only 5050SMDs... they are just so bright under the inserts, I have found myself toning down certain areas.

#26 10 years ago

As far as the Op Max Though, unless there is some heat considerations I used black electrical tape to help with color bleed when testing OpMax in my STTNG shields. I havent stress tested leaving the light on with the tape but it may help solve the bleed issue

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

Cointaker orange supers are great. Really makes the flames pop on my DND.

This. Orange Cointaker superbrights are killer. Just did my Jack*Bot matrix and all colors are equal in intensity.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I used to think that as well, but then found a great use for the yellow capless 5050s.... Clear Stern inserts (especially lower down on the playfield- warm and cool white are just so bright in there.

I agree with that, especially new or newer games. Clear or without lens....Non ghosting if needed,
I think I use all combinations, depending on game and "mood" when I do them.
I tend to put the warm white or pink, when they are further up the playfield.

I was meaning the yellow LEDs, the inexpensive ones.....people are not pleased with the fact that they dont put
out a large volume of yellow light.....I havent found much use for them except EM and SS, but people try them in
newer games, and are not as pleased.

.....and still tunasled, finds his usage the same and fine......another LED debate, that ends in personal taste......

#29 10 years ago

I used Cointaker orange LED's in my Space Shuttle inserts and I can't say that they look any less bright than the rest of the inserts. Maybe it was the brand?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orange-leds-no-good and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.