(Topic ID: 287039)

Orange Dot HUM?

By Gott72

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Just rebuilt my flippers on a 1972 KING KOOL Gottlieb.

Problem: new orange-dot coils HUM!

HUM: not the soft hum, nor the insane ear blaster, but quite a substantial hum right down the middle of the extremes.

Procedure: went wire-for-wire, unsoldering from old, soldering to new. Thus there was no way to goof that up.

New sleeves, the coil stops look fairly new but aren't my replacements.

End result: flippers work! They work as I deem proper: good power, not flabby like before when the ball was tough to get to mid field and floated about. Overall, it functions, but when the buttons are held, there is a hum that wasn't there.

Is this common to orange dots? Did I miss a step? There are no washers on this thing's coil stop, being a Gottlieb EM.

#2 3 years ago

Your Gottlieb EM uses AC power for the coils.
AC power always hums...at least some.
The orange dot coils (I think) are stronger which means that the magnetic field is stronger.
The best you can do to minimize the hum is to replace the coil stops, or file the old coil stop and plunger to provide the best possible "mate" between the two of them.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 3 years ago

Did you install spring washers on the sleeves?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Did you install spring washers on the sleeves?

On the sleeves or on the coil stops?

#5 3 years ago

Be sure that the EOS switches are opening for each flipper when the flippers are in the up position. If any EOS switch is not opening, that will cause a loud buzz from that flipper, and the coil will fry if it is kept energized for any length of time.

If you increased the flipper return spring tension, that will cause a louder hum. If that is the issue, you can reduce the hum by going back to the original spring tension. If that makes the flippers too powerful, you can adjust the EOS switches to open sooner during the flipper stroke to reduce the flipper power.

If the coils are loose in the brackets, that will cause a loud hum. To fix this, loosen the back bracket screws, and push the back bracket tight against the coil bobbin while you re-tighten the screws. The best place to push a coil bracket forward is along the bottom edge of the screw tab (the short lip with the screw holes in it) while the screws are in the base plate, but still loose. Pressing the bracket there should make the bracket look a bit like it's leaning back, with some space along the top edge of the coil bobbin. Hold the bracket in this position while you tighten the screws. The bracket will straighten up and the coil should be clamped in good and tight.

If a flipper is still buzzing, loosen the coil stop nut (with the flipper still fully assembled) and then re-tighten it. Each time you do this, you will rotate the coil stop a bit inside the coil sleeve. There may be a position where the face of the stop and the end of plunger meet that is less noisy.

If I still have a noisy flipper after doing all of the above, I'll dis-assemble the flipper and dress the face of the coil stop (or replace the stop if it looks bad) and I'll also dress the plunger end. Then I'll re-assemble the flipper and do the coil stop rotation exercise until the flipper quiets down. Sometimes I need to repeat this process a couple of times. It can be rather tedious, but it almost always seems to work for me.

- TimMe

#6 3 years ago

I get some people being against it, and whilst i haven't done it myself, you could convert the flippers to run from DC ?

#7 3 years ago

What about slop in the flipper links?

#9 3 years ago

I’d bet $3 it’s the eos switches...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orange-dot-hum-?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.