(Topic ID: 169992)

Orange County (California) Pinball Co-op?

By jasino313

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by atwong
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3304 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3303 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

So, I'm hearing about various pinball clubs/co-ops forming in other parts of the country; and I'm wondering if something like that could be created in Orange County. I know there are some people with their own private collections, and that's great, but I'm thinking along the lines of a location that multiple members can access (or bring guests), and that multiple people would contribute to build/maintain. I'm hoping for a location a bit more local (downtown LA is just a bit too far, especially with traffic).

I for one would really like to see something like this happen. I imagine that it would take a certain number of members - contributing $XX per month in order to make this financially viable. I would be willing to provide free labor, and/or some $ to help get this off the ground.

I want to put this out there- to other (local) members of the pinball community to hear your thoughts. Do we already have something like this? If not, is there enough demand to make something like this happen?

#2 7 years ago

Is Pinball Land in Santa Ana still open to visitors?

https://www.facebook.com/Pinball-Land-537591719695168

It's essentially a private collection, but Ron Robert, the owner, used to allow visitors occasionally last year (e.g., Wednesday nights).

#3 7 years ago

Pinball land is still going strong
    Will be open Wednesday 12th

Also big Halloween party on that weekend , with Ghostbusters LE

3 weeks later
    #4 7 years ago

I'd also be interested. Paying members kind of thing.

#5 7 years ago

Can't wait til this Friday! Been too long since a good ol' Pinball Land hoedown!

IMG_3303 (resized).JPGIMG_3303 (resized).JPG

IMG_3304 (resized).JPGIMG_3304 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

Between Pinball Land and OC Pinball League it's not like there aren't already options, but best of luck to you if you try something new.

#7 7 years ago

Yeah, good luck to an outsider with one old ass pin in his collection getting into the OC League.

Glad Ron is cool enough to share his toys with us.

#8 7 years ago

BTW Jasino, I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but there are some pretty good places around OC to play:

- Round 1 Santa Ana (four recent Sterns, great condition, takes both credits and unlimited hourly play)

- Comic Hero University (has the latest Sterns, plus Doctor Who!! Be warned this place gets hot during the summer)

- The Ice Palaces in Aliso Viejo and Lake Forest (older pins in varying condition, usually not good condition but every now and then you get lucky).

#9 7 years ago

I'm a first timer to visit Pinball Land. Hopefully going this friday. What are the rules? It also seems that I have to bring food to the event. What do people like and how much should I bring?

#10 7 years ago

The rules are: be cool! That's it.

Anything you bring will be appreciated. People have brought everything from chips to pizzas to those horrible Whopperitos (but it was still a lovely gesture). Bonus points if you keep it Halloween themed!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Yeah, good luck to an outsider with one old ass pin in his collection getting into the OC League.

If you're refering to OP, jasino313 does play in the OC League.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from audihere:

jasino313 does play in the OC League.

I was referring to myself, who has been begging to join your league for years! People have told me that I wasn't ever going to be accepted because I don't have a pin collection. So that's what I'm going off of.

#13 7 years ago

Many people in the OC League don't own any games. Not sure who you've been listening to. I'm unaware of anyone that's been begging to join for years.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from audihere:

Many people in the OC League don't own any games. Not sure who you've been listening to. I'm unaware of anyone that's been begging to join for years.

Please to check your PM, sir. I didn't mean any disrespect.

#15 7 years ago

I'm in the same boat as Cornelius. I'd like to join the league and I've sent an email via their webpage but never heard anything back.

#16 7 years ago

I'm glad to hear some of the feedback so far- and it sounds like a few people would potentially be interested. Now, being realistic here, there would probably need to be a sizable number of people in order to make this type of thing scalable.

If it's only a small number of people, it probably makes more sense for us to just enjoy the existing locations. I've been to the locations that Cornelius mentioned, and they are cool. In fact, I'm really liking comic hero university right now because of how well those pins are kept, and how close it is.

I started this thread, mostly to gague the quantity of interested people, and to see if that quantity is enough to make a club with a reasonable cost per person/per month. If only 5 people were interested, the cost could be $400 per person per month (or more) - which is way too high. If 40 people were interested, the cost could be closer to $50 per person.

I've only been in the hobby for about 1.5 years, and I just recently joined the OC Pinball League- so I'm still sort of finding my way around and meeting more local pinheads. In addition to playing pinball, a part of me would also like to find a way to contribute to the hobby. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see where the conversation goes, and I'll be happy to update as I become aware of additional possibilities down the road.

#17 7 years ago

Yo Jasino313, because of this thread I'm finally in on the OC league, so thanks dude! And much thanks to audihere.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Yo Jasino313, because of this thread I'm finally in on the OC league, so thanks dude! And much thanks to audihere.

See you Saturday then.

#19 7 years ago

Bummed I can't make it to league Sat, working.
    Ron at pinball Land is having costume party and pins tomorrow night Fri 10/28. Might stop by late after work.

#20 7 years ago

Interested in the concept also.

#21 7 years ago

You know, if you wanted to play in an open league, we could just do one at Round1 in Orange. The 4 stern tables there are excellent.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orange-county-california-pinball-co-op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.