Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by westofrome
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1EB58F3E-2010-4CC0-8E3C-2ECB07C3BE4B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jerryuop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#124 5 years ago

I find it funny that pinside forums most often side with the seller in these situations. It’s considered rude to “price police” if the potential buyers think the price is too high. At the same time, it’s totally ok to call this guy out on a “lowball” offer. There are certain sellers on here that I won’t even look at their ads because I know they overvalue the crap out of every pin they put up for sale.

As far as I’m concerned, the buyer is the one accepting all of the risk (has to travel, putting up the money, relying on pictures to see the condition of the machine). The worst thing that can happen to a seller is that they don’t sell the machine, while the buyer can get screwed in many ways.

If you put OBO on your listing, I think it’s only polite to respond to the offers you receive. It literally takes 5 seconds to say “no, thank you”. Similarly, I would never offer 10% of the asking price. Common courtesy goes a long way.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Its more about how someone acts if their behavior isnt embraced.
    Someone wants to sell high... then roll with the results verse cry victim when people dont like it. Or here... trying to go thin and then wonder why you dont get gold star treatment.
    Lie in the bed you made
    And sellers bear the brunt of the non sense in a transaction. The tire kickers... the non commital... the flakes... the needy... the refund guys... etc etc etc.
    And in remote buyers?? Pain awaits

I agree with you in that there is a pinball golden rule in that you should treat others how you would like to be treated.

I do disagree somewhat in your assessment of the nonsense. Sure, people may waste your time as a seller, but I’ve wasted my time and money as well by showing up and looking at machines that are obviously in much worse condition than stated in the ads, the Williams/Bally error dot is present, has a weak flipper, etc.

I feel like, as a seller, you should expect people to be wary. They don’t know you, they don’t know the history of the machine, and there is nowhere that you can get an up to date and accurate price, especially with all of the mods, shaker motors, upgraded speakers, etc. I think a lot of people are just going with NIB products because of the issues they’ve had buying in the past. It costs $0 to list here on pinside, so the most you are out is time. I think the high resale prices are making all of us a little more picky on what we buy. I would never go to a used car lot and pay full price and I don’t think you would either.

My personal advice is to never sell or buy anything as expensive as a pinball machine online, sight unseen, unless you personally know the buyer/seller or there it’s a business you can deal with if everything goes South. I think this is where a lot of the problems occur.
    In person, you can inspect and both sides can sign an “as is” agreement after the inspection takes place.

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, I just feel that the actual risk is on the buyers side most of the time

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jerryuop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/or-best-offer-what-s-the-point?tu=Jerryuop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.