Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by westofrome
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1EB58F3E-2010-4CC0-8E3C-2ECB07C3BE4B (resized).jpeg
    There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 5 years ago

Ok............. So I make an offer on a game with an ad that says, 'Or Best Offer or OBO" and then get no reply back.

What's the point of listing it that way if someone make an offer and then you don't respond to it. You took the time to list it, post pictures but you don't have 2 minutes to say not interested?? Or make a counter offer.

Why, Why, Why I ask!!!!

#2 5 years ago

How low was your offer

#3 5 years ago

Because you're not paying what they want, so you go on a list and if you're up there near the top it may work out for you.

If it was a good enough offer, they would have responded cheap ass

#4 5 years ago

A few hundred bucks........

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

How low was your offer

Irrelevant. I don’t care if you offered 1% of asking. The offer deserves a response.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If it was a good enough offer, they would have responded cheap ass

Well that's my point, why say best offer and then not at least come back with a counter off. Isn't that the point of 'Best Offer"

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Isn't that the point of 'Best Offer"

Not to me it isn't. OBO mean the best offer out of all the best offers. If I said 4K or best offer, and you said 3K, my "counter" would be 4K, because that's what I'm asking.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Irrelevant. I don’t care if you offered 1% of asking. The offer deserves a response.

Do you know how long he's been waiting for the reply?
    Hey OP, how long?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Thank you.... my point exactly.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Do you know how long he's been waiting for the reply?
    Hey OP, how long?

A couple of days. I think most people look at their email like every other minute, so I doubt that's that's problem

#10 5 years ago

I disagree that all offers deserve a response. There are some super low ballers out there and I don't even waste time responding.

#11 5 years ago

Could be busy, could be fielding actual offers, could be getting braces for his daughter

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Quoted from timab2000:

A couple of days.

You guys need to, and I get the humor of me saying this, get over yourselves a bit.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not to me it isn't. OBO mean the best offer out of all the best offers. If I said 4K or best offer, and you said 3K, my "counter" would be 4K, because that's what I'm asking.

Then why not say price is firm??

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Then why not say price is firm??

Because if you offered 300 dollars less and i offered 200 less you don't have the best offer.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I disagree that all offers deserve a response. There are some super low ballers out there and I don't even waste time responding.

Why? I doubt anyone is getting hundreds of offers on a game. Takes 2 seconds.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

BS. If i list something at 1000$ and i get an email offer at 10$ i am not responding. Clearly someone like that is not serious and wasting my time.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why? I doubt anyone is getting hundreds of offers on a game. Takes 2 seconds.

Maybe a ton of things.
    Maybe he has someones that's closer to him. maybe hes waiting for someone he's dealt with in the past. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, the OPs mail was a little weird and had a bunch of shit we don't know aboot? We have none of the facts and you're acting like every situation is the same.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

My standard answer to those is "I'll burn the fucking pin in my firepit before I sell it to you for that price".

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

My standard answer to those is "I'll burn the fucking pin in my firepit before I sell it to you for that price".

Well at least I would have got a response and would move on.

#19 5 years ago

Asking price was $1500 I offer $900 in hopes we could meet in the middle.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cobra:

BS. If i list something at 1000$ and i get an email offer at 10$ i am not responding. Clearly someone like that is not serious and wasting my time.

Has this ever happened to you?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

then that's not your best offer. Your best offer would be 1200.

The most response I would say is "No."

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

then that's not your best offer. Your best offer would be 1200.
    The most response I would say is "No."

And that’s fine. Just respond. Takes no time at all.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Has this ever happened to you?

$10 might be an extreme outlier but I've received 50% of asking price and that is below my threshold of 'no response would be rude.'

I've bounced items on the sidewalk in front of low-ballers at a garage sale when I didn't have control of my anger. Now I just do not respond rather than letting my blood pressure get elevated.

I could totally see myself not responding to a $900 on a $1500. That is a borderline rude offer IMHO.

#24 5 years ago

I suggest in an OBO situation buyer or seller. Buyer make the max offer they are willing to pay. Seller respond with the lowest they are willing to take. If buyer doesn’t agree to that, negotiations over. Pretty simple.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Duvall:

$10 might be an extreme outlier but I've received 50% of asking price and that is below my threshold of 'no response would be rude.'
    I've bounced items on the sidewalk in front of low-ballers at a garage sale when I didn't have control of my anger. Now I just do not respond rather than letting my blood pressure get elevated.

Wow. I will never understand why people take these things so seriously. I understand that you feel a low offer is in some way a complete insult to you, but in actuality it’s what someone is willing to pay for your item. If you are not interested, say “not interested”.

#26 5 years ago

I used to get really annoyed when someone would offer half my asking price. Now I realize that some people are just trying to start a dialogue. I know a few guys also that approach things with a what do I have to lose attitude. Go low and see what happens. From my perspective it's hard to take those people very seriously and are never my first choice to deal with. This is a competitive hobby, often times if you want to win out you have to be the path of least resistance.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Thats 40% ....OBO usually means 10-20% of asking price, IMO. Thats what im thinking when I list OBO. If you wanted to meet in the middle why didnt you offer 1200?
    Also, what everyone forgets...OBO also means a higher price. Say 1700, means you want it now and seller is asking to little.
    But this is pinside, everyone wants a barn find, cheap craigslist, deal, deal deal. I really want it, just cheap.

#28 5 years ago

Well I see it as you gotta start somewhere in the negotiation, I think that is way you say or "Best Offer" you are will to talk over the price.

Not trying to offend anyone, I sure when you buy a car you give full asking price, right??? No you negotiate. I sold a game a couple of month ago asked 1200 and he offer 900 so I took it. No big deal.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I really want it, just cheap.

Why pay any more than you have to??

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Ill upvote that, im a cheap basterd.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Ive also just asked before. Whats your best price? Seems to work, gets a couple hundred knocked off, well sometimes.

#32 5 years ago

If you want X amount then say that. Price is firm!!! If you are willing to go back and forth then say, "or best offer".

Quoted from TheLaw:

could be fielding actual offers,

I do agree with that. Might just be hanging out to see what other offers he gets.

#33 5 years ago

Whats your best price?

Won't know that until he counters.

#34 5 years ago

My rule of thumb is any offer at half price or less I ignore I and politely decline anything over that if it's not within the range I'm willing to let it go for.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

My rule of thumb is any offer at half price or less I ignore I and politely decline anything over that if it's not within the range I'm willing to let it go for.

Me too. Lowballers get no response. Let them wonder.

#36 5 years ago

I believe every PM someone sends me deserves a response.

On OBO, you are SELLING a game, if I was offered $900 on a $1500 I would respond politely with a no. If I had no other offers I would call you and see if that really was your best offer and explain to you why the game is worth more.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, the OPs mail was a little weird and had a bunch of shit we don't know aboot?

No No I just said, "I have $900 if your interested" that was it message. Can't be much more clear than that. No weird stuff. Not sure why you would have to say something like that??

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Me too. Lowballers get no response. Let them wonder.

At what point are you considered a low baller, on a best offer ad???

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

At what point are you considered a low baller, on a best offer ad???

Apparently its 40%...lol.
    Sorry, i couldnt resist, no ill will.
    I totally get your point.

#40 5 years ago

You may not even get a response if the emails, especially from Craigslist, are going to the person's junk email box and getting automatically deleted after a period of time.

#41 5 years ago

Sorry, i couldnt resist, no ill will.

No worries, it's all good. I did not realize it would be such a hot subject.

#42 5 years ago

Usually, I will respond to all offers. I typically haven't had anyone really rude...and sometimes...they may have something for trade

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You may not even get a response if the emails, especially from Craigslist

It was here on Pinside.....

#44 5 years ago

I think that, "obo" indicates that you are will to talk over the price, that all.

#45 5 years ago

Negotiating via email/PM when you've never seen the game in the first place usually ends up poorly.

If you want to haggle... get a live conversation going.

#46 5 years ago

To me any offer less than 75% of asking price I consider a low ball, tire kicker and don't bother responding. If they're really interested they will send a better offer. If not, no loss to me, they weren't really interested any way.

It's just like someone fishing for the biggest sucker with a price that is twice market value. They aren't any more interested in selling than the lowballer is in buying.

I've never sold a game that the negotiation started at less than 75% of asking. I used to respond to those but don't bother any more.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:At what point are you considered a low baller, on a best offer ad???

I'd say anything much more than 20% below fair market (based on what this title in this condition has been fetching.) So, in this case, if this pin has been selling for around $1500, anything below $1150, to me is a low-ball. Now that being said, I'd still respond thinking it is possible to negotiate to a fair price. At $900, I'd just answer "I appreciate the interest; however, I believe I've priced it fairly" I probably wouldn't ask for another offer and I wouldn't counter. The sticky wicket is fair market. But it cuts both ways. If fair market is $1500 and the seller is listing for $1900, I wouldn't even bother to make an offer.

#48 5 years ago

I would consider your offer a low ball

#49 5 years ago

Generally speaking, I wouldn’t offer less than a third off of asking. If it’s overpriced then I’m just not going to bother.
    So at 1500, the magic number floor would be 1000. 1200 in this case is prob what I would’ve done. Unless it was underpriced to begin with, which it doesn’t sound like. Bottom line, you offered what you were comfortable with sight unseen. No fault for that. I might msg him again and say if it checks out I could do $xxx. That way you sound reasonable and legitimately interested.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

I've never sold a game that the negotiation started at less than 75% of asking. I used to respond to those but don't bother any more.

I don’t doubt that low offers rarely result in a sale. My point is, why not just respond and say no thanks?

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/or-best-offer-what-s-the-point?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.