Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by westofrome
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1EB58F3E-2010-4CC0-8E3C-2ECB07C3BE4B (resized).jpeg
    There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 5 years ago

I don't know.... I think people get to offended to easily on price sometimes.

It's only worth what someone is going to pay. If you don't want the price that is offered than just say that. Doing the 'obo' thing is just opening the door for offers lower than what you are asking and then they get offended by it. Go figure. So why bother setting yourself up for that. Say the price is firm and be done with it. When it does not sell you'll have to lower the price if you want it gone.

Quoted from flynnibus:

If you want to haggle... get a live conversation going.

Hard to do that if they won't respond.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

No weird stuff. Not sure why you would have to say something like that??

Its nothing personal.... Have you not noticed people around here, and in general, can be weirdos...eXpecially when selling something.

You have to understand that everyone has a different idea of how a sale works.
    You think it means offering 40% and then you guys hash it out. Now that's fine, but not everyone does business. Obviously someone says OBO means over asking price, I don't agree with that so as you can see there's plenty of ways to deal.

#54 5 years ago

There's a guy named Victor. I've yet to put an ad up and he not offer half or less. I find this tactic remarkably off-putting.

Fair market is a fickle thing. The pricing mechs on pinside are now woefully inadequate compared to what dizzying heights pinballs can fetch these days. In fact, price guides of all types are now utterly useless. How much should a pin cost? The exact amount someone is willing to pay for it and not a penny more. How can we get to such a number? Ask some price and see what happens. Fiat currency markets have manipulated prices rapidly upward in all other arenas. Not the other way around. As such, we aren't speaking about the value of a pin, but the value of the worthless paper traded for it.

There was a time when the period between getting money from the bank and making your way to the store, the price of the loaf of bread doubled due to inflation and the loss of confidence. Many markets are now accounting for this effect, albeit, mostly subconsciously. You're damn right I want 3,000 for a 2500 dollar game. By the time I flip and make ready my next pin, that 3000 is less valuable than 2500.

Something to chew on.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Negotiating via email/PM when you've never seen the game in the first place usually ends up poorly.
    If you want to haggle... get a live conversation going.

Yes.

In my experience if you have genuine interest in an item for sale the best approach is not to talk price first. Ask questions about condition, functionality, potential to take a look in person if possible, etc. If I get a decent vibe from the seller and what he is selling I will sometimes ask if he has any flexibility in price without throwing numbers around. The time to make an offer (low or otherwise) is when you are looking at the item and truly know what it is worth to you. Sometimes even low(er) offers at that point can be accepted because the seller sees the cash in your hand.

If you show more interest than just making an offer the seller may show more interest in sending you a reply.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

If you show more interest than just making an offer the seller may show more interest in sending you a reply.

I think that is good advice.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I just said, "I have $900 if your interested"

Poor grammar is another red flag. You're competing with other buyers. Every red flag makes it less likely the seller wants to deal with you.

The seller has created a target. A bull's-eye would be asking price, cash, can pick it up now, and clearly the buyer is intelligent and articulate, someone you want to have your address.
    The farther you are from the target the less likely you'll be the buyer.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Won't know that until he counters.

The seller offer his price and offered you the opportunity to present Your best offer Not best negotiable offer. A response would have been respectful none the less but don’t expect a negotiation if your not remotely within the sellers price point. Personally I see a FS I would sincerely be interested in owning I opt to simply Ask the seller what is the best they could do with the only counter being added value IE I can pick up tomorrow, cash sale, I am local, I give good back rubs whatever and let Them Sell you the machine and open a dialog. Never hurts to ask but to open with an insult offer rarely grants a second conversation.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t doubt that low offers rarely result in a sale. My point is, why not just respond and say no thanks?

Because a lowballer is just wasting my time and I'm not interested in communicating with anyone who isn't even close to the value I've placed on the game.
    If you're going to be a lowballer you're going to get ignored often. Not much of a drawback. Expecting a response is silly. You've invested a few seconds composing your lowball offer and the seller owes you nothing.

#60 5 years ago

I just see a lot of games for sale here, and other places that never sell. Why?? Because they are asking to much. Plain and simple. There are tons of posts here that talk about that very subject, overpriced pins

I see and here this statement all the time. "I know what I got, and I know what it's worth" That mentality is just a bunch of crap. It's only worth what someone is going to pay for it. And how are you going to know that? Negotiate with the buyer, then you'll know what it's worth.

Eventually these things with go by the waist side way just like these other, such highly sought after items as, the horse and buggy, the model T, flip phone. Hang on to them as long as you want.

#61 5 years ago

Best offer. Man with the most cash wins!

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Man with the most cash wins!

I guess that's not me.

#63 5 years ago

If the ad says $1000 OBO that simply means, "Reserve set at $1000, what's your bid?"

#64 5 years ago

#65 5 years ago

Maybe this will solve my problem....I have $900 on my paypal account. I am looking for project pin, Bally preferred late 70s early 80s If you have one and you're within 4 hours of Iowa let me know what you have.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I give you $1050.

He might get offended by that. Would that make you a highballer???

#67 5 years ago

Some buyers are lowballers.

Some sellers are highballers.

Some sellers deserve lowball offers.

Some buyers deserve zero replies.

No matter where you go, there you are.

#68 5 years ago

Every case is different. That $1500 asking price is could be $300 above what most games of similar condition go for. Factoring that in, a $900 offer might be a bit low but within range to meet at say $1000-1200. I recently offered $800 less than asking price on a MB and explained my rationale in the offer message. I might have been willing to go up a few hundred but not to the asking price on this OBO listing. Never even got a response from the seller. Some people just have unrealistic expectations of what their game is worth, willing to sit on it until they get their price or are honestly just a bit “awkward” - for lack of a better word - and not good at negotiating. As someone else said, it’s always better to talk in person or by phone if you can in making certain offers.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Some buyers are lowballers.
    Some sellers are highballers.
    Some sellers deserve lowball offers.
    Some buyers deserve zero replies.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

1EB58F3E-2010-4CC0-8E3C-2ECB07C3BE4B (resized).jpeg1EB58F3E-2010-4CC0-8E3C-2ECB07C3BE4B (resized).jpeg
    #70 5 years ago

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Hard to do that if they won't respond.

Start with your best foot forward.. and maybe you'll get a different outcome

#72 5 years ago

I wouldn't expect a response unless the sellers ad stated "willing to negotiate price". OBO is the haggle free way of selling.

#73 5 years ago

Buying and selling can be tricky in this hobby. The seller wants to get the most $ they can and the buyer wants to spend the least $ they can. So, seller starts with a # higher than they are probably expecting to get for it. The buyer offers a # lower than what they're willing to pay. Somewhere in the middle is the actual offer. Haggling can sometimes work in the buyers or sellers favor, but it really depends on how they each treat a sale. I know when i was selling a game a couple years back, i had put 'OBO' on the price, which resulted in a deluge of low offers. Some laughably so. I had nearly locked in a sale, but buyer backed out at the last minute. Fast forward a year later, i decided to put it back up for sale at the price i would accept. Firm. Lo and behold i had an interested buyer, got a price i was happy with and the buyer was also happy with the deal.

OBO is an invitation to low-ball offers, in my experience. Everyone's mileage may vary, of course. Anytime I've been genuinely interested in a pin, i will offer my best price. If they take it, great. If they don't, I'll keep on looking. If i was in the buyers shoes, i would probably not have responded either unless you were the only one that seemed interested. But i really don't like playing around when it comes to buying/selling.

#74 5 years ago

My experience with CL as a buyer and seller...

OBO means I'll take less, but not far less. If the seller and buyer are really way off, 99% of the time you don't reach an agreeable price and end up wasting a lot of time.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I've bounced items on the sidewalk in front of low-ballers at a garage sale when I didn't have control of my anger.

LOL.

You can't be serious.

CHILL OUT, PEOPLE! good grief

edit: not sure why this crediting you, Chuck, we know this aint the case!

#76 5 years ago

it is OBO/ or best offer . Not best Haggle , or best dialogue starter / if your offer is accepted I am sure you will be messaged if not offer more, then they may respond .

#77 5 years ago

When I list things for sale on CL (or kijiji here in Canada), I tend to add that I’m open to “reasonable” offers, meaning relatively close to asking price (I tend to price right in the middle of market range to give myself some wiggle room). I often get responders that throw out some ridiculous number and act like they’re doing you a favor. I do find it insulting, they’re basically insinuating that you don’t know any better.

In my experience (mostly in the context of camera gear), often these people are either known flippers (there are more than a few), or just fishing and not interested in paying a fair price in the first place. Wasting time negotiating with these buyers is pointless.

However, I’ve gotten lowball offers occasionally from people who are genuine and respectful, who will tell you for example that they only have so much to spend or acknowledge that their offer is low, but are willing to wait if it doesn’t sell and I decide to drop my price. These buyers I have always engaged with, in some cases taking less than I wanted for an item because I felt good about the buyer. It really all comes down to approach, and being respectful to the seller.

#78 5 years ago

I don’t get emotional about this. If I offer low and it offends someone, that’s about them.

If someone doesn’t reply to me, I move on.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Asking price was $1500 I offer $900 in hopes we could meet in the middle.

Then offer 1200 or 1300? Not everyone plays the haggle game.

#80 5 years ago

I'll sit back and watch. See what happens. Hopefully he'll get it sold and if he doesn't then maybe we'll talk. Time will tell.

#81 5 years ago

I always try to give some response. I usually hear back, “thanks for letting me know...I usually don’t get any answer”. If it’s a low ball I just say no I can’t accept that. Then they say aren’t you going to counter and most time’s I say no of the first one was way low. Too many people watching American Pickers, etc and thinkntonstart real low and then the response will be in the middle and go from there. No thanks.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Asking price was $1500 I offer $900 in hopes we could meet in the middle.

If you were to offer me that, I might not respond either. Some people have busy lives and don't have time for all the back and forth.

#83 5 years ago

This thread shows OBO doesn't mean the same thing for everybody. To me, it means the seller is willing to negotiate.

I know I risk insulting a seller if I make a very low offer. Worse than no response, it could potentially cut off any future negotiation, even if I was willing to pay the full asking price.

As others have said, best to show interest without discussing money to get an idea of where the seller stands and show him you're serious about the game.

If somebody gives me a low ball offer with no discussion, the first thing I think is he's a flipper.

#84 5 years ago

Some offers I won't dignify with a response. But those offers are usually crazy low. Some people think that if your offer is too low it tells them that you think there item isn't worth what they are asking. I don't about you guys, but that is the last thing I want to hear from any buyer. I don't care if I am over priced or not. If you think my item is over priced just pass. Don't insinuate that my item is not worth what I am asking. That's insulting...

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Ok............. So I make an offer on a game with an ad that says, 'Or Best Offer or OBO" and then get no reply back.
    What's the point of listing it that way if someone make an offer and then you don't respond to it. You took the time to list it, post pictures but you don't have 2 minutes to say not interested?? Or make a counter offer.
    Why, Why, Why I ask!!!!

So somebody doesn't respond to your offer?
    Oh well...
    Who cares?
    Big deal!
    Oh brother, I think we are running out of topics.
    "Much ado about nothing"
    NEXT!

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:Oh brother, I think we are running out of topics.

Idk, at least this isn't another what should I buy, stern bashing or speculate what the next pin released will be topic

If only we put our energy in the I miss the 600 play baywatch thread

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

No No I just said, "I have $900 if your interested" that was it message. Can't be much more clear than that. No weird stuff. Not sure why you would have to say something like that??

Dude, I don't know what the game was, but if it was on pinside for $1500 it probably worth close to that and $900 is about as low as you can go without kicking someone in the balls. That's almost half his asking price and you expect a response? I have really thick skin when it comes to low offers, I probably would have just laughed your offer off and wouldn't have responded either. And your one sentence message shows that your not putting any effort into the transaction/communication so why should the guy waste any time on you? You might as well have said "me want cheap"

#88 5 years ago

Hey at least the topic isn't, "What's the next Stern title gonna be" or "What rock band gets a game"

I think you have beat that horse to death

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Dude, I don't know what the game was, but if it was on pinside for $1500 it probably worth close to that and $900 is about as low as you can go without kicking someone in the balls

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Idk, at least this isn't another what should I buy, stern bashing or speculate what the next pin released will be topic

Well said, thank you!

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

If somebody gives me a low ball offer with no discussion, the first thing I think is he's a flipper.

I've come to learn that there are some people who give a low ball offer and throw in the "Ohhh it's my grail game" story and just end up flipping the game the following week. Seen it happen to a few people I know.

#92 5 years ago

I am not really into the flipping thing. The one game I sold, I broke even on, he was happy and so was I.

If I could get this one I would keep it. And if I did want to sell it at some point, if I can just get what I had into back I would happy. I really don't think you make $$ on pins. It just a hobby to me.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Lowballers get no response. Let them wonder.

I use this tactic a lot. Rather than acknowledge a lowball offer and give the offeror's number some sort of validity I find that no response irritates him/her more than the low offer insulted me.

Insulted is probably too strong a word. Lowball offers come in so often anymore that its more like getting worked up over bugs hitting the truck windshield.

Not judging the circumstances of the OP's situation as I do not know all the factors involved, but no response bothered him enough to start the thread, right?

#94 5 years ago

Honestly it would depend on how you replied with your $900 offer. Did you even leave it open for negotiation. At $900 I feel you are really stretching a decent offer and I probably wouldn't respond to you either. Again, depends on how you worded it. What exactly did you say?

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Lowball offers come in so often anymore that its more like getting worked up over bugs hitting the truck windshield.

Could that be that prices are just too high. Maybe you have created your own problem. ( Not you personally)

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

What exactly did you say?

I got $900 burning a hole in my pocket, let me know if your interested.

Right to the point, no reason to beat around the bush

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Could that be that prices are just too high. Maybe you have created your own problem.

My situations do not involve pinball machines, but an area of heavy equipment that I have worked in for several decades. I think I have a good idea of what something will sell for and what it will not.

Silly thing is most of my stuff is priced at the lower end of what similar pieces sell for.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I got $900 burning a hole in my pocket, let me know if your interested.
    Right to the point, no reason to beat around the bush

What game was it?

#99 5 years ago

Yeah kind of crazy how differently people can see things like the phrase, "best offer"

I won't really expecting a whole lot of people to comment on the subject. Most my post get very little attention, probably due to the boring nature of most of them. Definitely gives you something to think about.

#100 5 years ago

Not sure I want to go there. I'll probably get all sort of comments doing that.

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/or-best-offer-what-s-the-point/page/2?hl=tbachli and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.