By SunMonkeyAZ

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

257A1575-BB31-4676-9B4F-75B144C80B3B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunmonkeyaz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Have had some weirdness with optos lately on an NBAFB and narrowed down to 7-opto board. Ordered a replacement, installed today. Went into switch edge test and one ramp opto wasn’t working. #7 on the board. No glow on the transmitter with camera. All others ok (5 in trough #1-5 on board and #6 another ramp). Thought maybe new board had an issue or maybe opto just gave up. It happens. So I flip-flopped with the other ramp opto set that’s on #6 since they have molex connectors so easy to swap to see if it followed transmitter or stayed with #7 location. After turning back on neither worked at either location. Like being on #7 blew them. All the trough optos transmitters are 1.4v but these two are 12v measuring at transmitters. Don't know if that is normal. Receivers work with flashlight test. So now I have two dead optos. Grabbing some more tomorrow locally but worried what will happen. Put old board in and measurements are all the same. With the old board all optos worked but was getting phantom closures. Not sure what I can check to make sure everything is ok before connecting and blowing more out.

#4 3 years ago

OK. This afternoon after work I will check the R21 resistor tied into #7 since it's the problem one and compare to the other 6. If it reads different I can trying taking one from my old board.

#5 3 years ago

Tested resistors and R21 was showing a short, no resistance. All the others were around 270. So figured bad resistor. Removed it to put in one from my old board but checked resistor off board and it was fine 270-ish. Checked and had continuity between the two pads for the resistor with it out. Turns out the pad was touching the trace for the 12v so both sides of the resistor were connected to the same 12v source so transmitter was getting the voltage with no resistor in line. Peeled back the pad so it wasn’t making contact but had to still put on the old resistor from my older board since I cut the leads on what I that was the bad new one. Replaced the transmitters and tested good now.

257A1575-BB31-4676-9B4F-75B144C80B3B (resized).jpeg257A1575-BB31-4676-9B4F-75B144C80B3B (resized).jpeg
#8 3 years ago

Aftermarket. I notified where I bought it so they are aware in case there are others and it’s a design or manufacturing issue. But hopefully just one of those odd things that happens and not a recurring problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunmonkeyaz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opto-transmitters-blowing?tu=sunmonkeyaz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.