5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yellowghost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Have a Dr.who with a bad opto that is stuck closed..the reciever thinks its getting a signal even when an object breaks the beam. However..when you trigger either opto on either side of the switch column..the opto works fine. It was suggested as a bad diode on optic board. I changed the three optos for those 3 switches and no change. My next step will be to change the optos themselves but I have a hunch that wont do anything. Maybe a bad UC chip?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

The receiver should always get a signal with an opto - that's how they work, a constant invisible beam from emitter opto to reciever opto. When a receiver does NOT get a signal that means the invisible beam is broken and something is blocking the emitter opto (the ball, usually, triggering the opto) OR the emitter is broken and not sending a signal OR the receiver is broken and not reading the signal the emitter is sending.
    As long as you've checked to make sure they have power, you have a bad emitter or receiver opto (or both).

I know..the receiver continues to recieve signal even when I block the path of the beam of light. The emmitter only recognizes the object when one of the two other switches are closed.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Please put the game in switch test mode and take a picture of the diagnostic screen on the DMD.

Sure. I uploaded a movie instead. Notice that theres a ball in the left scoop already

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Something is definitely weird because when you hit the Right opto eject, the Left opto eject also activates. It's not clear if that's because of a short or because when you hit the right opto the left opto "sees" the ball all of a sudden. You need to remove the ball and re-test the optos in their native state. The movie is helpful, though. I'd do it for the re-test, too.

Will need to remove the upper playfield and check the wiring too I guess. Theres one more diode connected to that circuit that I can change as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yellowghost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opto-stuck-closed?tu=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.