Opto receiver board issue -->Dungeons & Dragons

By Flippersammlung

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi everyone,
I´ve got an issue with my D&D pinball. At game start the machine keeps on shooting all balls out of the through and then tells me "playfield fuse or F1". I checked the opto boards and found out that the emitter LED´s work fine (camera test). But as soon as I plug in the opto receiver board (with Q1-Q4 on it), the switch test tells me that all switches on the board are closed...although the emitter board has not been reseated or plugged in yet and no balls in the trough...quite strange...
Any hints will be highly appreciated
Thanks in advance
and
Best wishes
Matt

#2 2 years ago

Flippersammlung does your switch matrix work properly with the playfield disconnected?
These videos may be helpful- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bally+6803

#3 2 years ago

Hi,
thanks for your mail and the video. My new quess is that if the receivers Q1-Q4 get 0 Volts (because no emitter LED faces it - board disconnected) then the machine "thinks" the switches are closed..the same situation as if the balls were the though blocking the UV light from the LEDS...
maybe the quess is wrong
I see what I can do to solve this mystery
Grettings
Matt

#4 2 years ago

Put it in switch test and see if the optos register correctly when opened / closed.

I'm assuming the check f1 message is because it sees the trough full after firing the coil a bunch of times.

#5 2 years ago

Hi
Thanks for your mail. I'll check it as soon as possible!
Greetings
Matt

1 week later
#6 2 years ago

Hi everyone!
Mystery solved! A "cold" solder connection from one pin on the opto receiver board caused the problem. Voltage was recognized by the receiver optos but didn't reach the switch matrix

Greetings Matt

#7 2 years ago

Excellent job finding and fixing it.

There should be a checkbox near your first post in this thread to "mark as resolved".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opto-receiver-board-issue-gtdungeons-amp-dragons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.