Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by SilverUnicorn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

optos (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Not a newbie to pinball at all, but a newbie to getting down and dirty anf fixing electronic stuff.

The game - Pinball Magic
The issue - Subway coil fires continually
The Diagnosis - Opto may have failed.

Since Capcom optos are no longer available easily, I read on Pinside that Williams parts do work as a replacement.

I bought both transmit and receiver optos, and they arrived yesterday. I am ready to switch them out, but have a really stupid newbie question....

optos (resized).jpg

Which are which? I want to GUESS that the black ones are the receivers and the purple ones are the transmit? Is that correct? Or did I totally get the wrong items?

The invoice description is as follows:
W-51631411400 - trans-photo infrared
W-56711273100 - LED IR Diode

Thanks in advance

Chris

#2 2 years ago

A working opto transmitter will show up using your phone camera. With my BSD at least, the transmitters fail much more often than the receivers.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

A working opto transmitter will show up using your phone camera. With my BSD at least, the transmitters fail much more often than the receivers.

Yes, I did check that. The transmitters are good - at least they glowed a little but through the camera. Not really sre what's going on but the Opto test showed these as not working, so this will be step 1.

Thank you for the tip though!

I did get the answer to my question, so this is on the repair list now. LOL

Chris

#4 2 years ago

The receivers are basically a switch (yes the black one).

Put your DMM on "ohmns" and hook up to both legs. Put the receiver in the dark... note the dmm measurement. Then try shining a mag-lite into the receiver and you should see a big change.

If the components check out, then trace the wires back to the CPU for a break in the wires/bad connector.
faz

#5 2 years ago

Yes, the black ones are the RX and clear or tinted ones are (usually) the TX.

The TX fail more often because they are usually running at full pelt and full current all the time where the RX is just sitting there idling away.

Basically, as long as the frequency of operation of the parts matches you should be able to replace them in practically any application. Meaning, if you fit them as a matching pair they are pretty well going to work.

#6 2 years ago

It's starting to sound more like a bad CPU connector. Reseat and see if that helps as FAZ said. That will usually do it. If not there's a break between the receiver wire and the CPU so you'll have to trace it down.

#7 2 years ago

So Thank you to all for the information. Since I was getting a "glow" on the transmitters, I decided to switch out the receivers first. Took my time and did all 3. Hooked everything up and it works like a champ!

Hopefully it will keep working, but at least I lerned something today

Thank you again!

Chris

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside