Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have an odd issue on my TZ. I can trigger the Opto receiver of Switch 75 (Upper Play field Exit) with a flash light. I can point the transmitter of Opto receiver of Switch 75 (Upper Play field Exit) at the receiver of Switch 76 (Lower Play field Exit) and the light triggers the 76 switch. From this I know there are no issues with the Opto transmitter of Switch 75 (Upper Play field Exit).

I can not get the transmitter of Switch 75 (Upper Play field Exit) to trigger the receiver of Switch 75 (Upper Play field Exit). ... even if I hold them face to face. I have replaced the receiver twice.

The receiver for Opto receiver of Switch 75 (Upper Play field Exit) is much less sensitive than the receiver for Opto receiver of Switch 76 (Lower Play field Exit). If get the flashlight anywhere near the Opto receiver of Switch 76 (Lower Play field Exit), it switches. Receiver of Switch 75 (Upper Play field Exit) takes a direct beam from the flash light to trigger. I am determining if the switch switches by using the edge test.

I have reset all the connectors I could find. Any thoughts? Replace the Opto board? I am going to pull the mini play field now and look for a connector or short there.

#2 5 years ago

I would start by cleaning the optos with some alcohol; if that doesn't help I would replace it.

#3 5 years ago

Already replaced the 75 sender and the receiver. Receiver twice. Not sure why the 75 receiver is not sensitive.

#4 5 years ago

Sounds like you've already already done a lot to help isolate this and you seem to know your way around the machine.

I would do the following:
Check that you have around +12V going to the photo transistor (receiver).
Check your wiring at J1-6 on the your 10 opto PCB, also consider reflowing pin 6 of J1 on the opto board.
If everything checks out, it could be a failing LM339 (U2 on the opto board)

Good Luck

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the tips. Heading out of town and it will be a couple of weeks before i’ll be able to work on it again.

What do you think about the replacement Opto boards?

#6 5 years ago

Well, it doesn’t look like you can buy the Opto board.

Would one of you guys send me a link to the LM339 chip and socket? I’ll go ahead and order and swap it if needed when I get back in town.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from ncsujeff:

Would one of you guys send me a link to the LM339 chip and socket?

Here are the links you asked for; without knowing your background, it would be negligent of me not to mention that replacing this part without the right tools and soldering experience often times results in a damaged board, there is no shame in asking for assistance if needed.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/LM339N/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuayl%2fEk2kXcddlv8%252blGbVF0mw8LdHB8JU%3d

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/3M/4814-3000-CP/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhXWJj9KqEdrvxpDX3SgnNpkmSt5Kd7cx1L3J9D62VTHw%3d%3d

I normally don't socket LM339s as they have an extremely low failure rate.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks. I have done cap kits before, but not a chip.

1 week later
#9 5 years ago

I was able to purchase an Opto board, but still have the same issue. Now I have a spare .

I only have 9.6 volts ot the black 75 receiver. I checked the connection plug at the mini play field and I have 12 there. I ohmed both wires and they have low resistance. I am guessing I have a short somewhere on the mini field.

#10 5 years ago

I can not find a short. Anyone got any ideas? Un-solder one wire from the receiver and check with the circuit open?

#11 5 years ago

Well figured out part of the problem. The receiver was hooked up backwards. Believe it was that way when I got the game. Now it reads 12 volts soldered in and is sensitive to a flash light.

Now it appears the transmitter is not working. It reads 12 volts hooked up. The others read 1.4 volts hooked up. I know it was working the last time I worked on the machine.

Would the receiver hooked up backwards cause any issues with the board or transmitter?

#12 5 years ago

I have 12 volts from ground to the gray wire feeding the 75 transmitter. 0 V on the other side (black wire) to ground. I assume this means my Transmitter is bad as it is not conducting electricity. I'll reflow the solder connections to see if that helps. Else I guess I need to order a new transmitter. Thoughts anyone?

#13 5 years ago

Swapped transmitters. Problem follows the transmitter. Ordering a new one.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from ncsujeff:

Now it appears the transmitter is not working. It reads 12 volts hooked up. The others read 1.4 volts hooked up. I know it was working the last time I worked on the machine.

Would the receiver hooked up backwards cause any issues with the board or transmitter?

this will only read 12V when the IR transmitter is OPEN to ground, this can be a bad connection or bad IR LED.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 79.50
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opto-issue-on-twilight-zone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.