2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pins4u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_imagedata2 (resized).png
    IMG_20220418_121905 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220418_121849 (resized).jpg
    optos (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20220417_201432 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi!

I wanted to solder an old S-1865 to a Whirlwind small opto board.
    Unfortunately i cannot decide what side is the transistor and the diode.
    On the part i have found one marked leg. (see the picture)
    What has been marked on this leg ?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20220417_201432 (resized).jpgIMG_20220417_201432 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Most have some markings on top like pic below. The + above the E is pin one.

optos (resized).PNGoptos (resized).PNGpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #3 2 years ago

There is nothing on the top of the part...

IMG_20220418_121849 (resized).jpgIMG_20220418_121849 (resized).jpgIMG_20220418_121905 (resized).jpgIMG_20220418_121905 (resized).jpg
    #4 2 years ago

What you think is pin #1 on your opto, lines up with my opto's pin #1. So that is what I would try.

#5 2 years ago

Try this:

1. Get out your DMM.
    2. Set it to diode test.
    3. Test red lead to black lead of each of the legs.
    4. The legs that register a voltage drop are the anode (A=red lead) and cathode (K=black lead).

I just tried this on a different slotted opto pair and there is every reason it should apply to your slotted opto pair.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Try this:

Get out your DMM.
    Set it to diode test.
    Test red lead to black lead of each of the legs.
    The legs that register a voltage drop are the anode (A=red lead) and cathode (K=black lead).

I just tried this on a different slotted opto pair and there is every reason it should apply to your slotted opto pair.

Hi!

Yes that was a good idea!
    1. leg pair : 1.019
    2. leg pair : 1.355 (but this side is always alternating, the measure is not precise it was 1.5 and 1.7)

I am not familiar with optos may the receiver (diode) get some electricty from the dmm thats why the different values no idea ...

#7 2 years ago

The receiver side is a transistor without a base leg. Only Collector and Emitter.

That's why the IR Transmitter DIODE can easily be determined but the resistance between collector and emitter is not easily measured like you are finding - it will fluctuate.

pasted_imagedata2 (resized).pngpasted_imagedata2 (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opto-foked-williams-pinball-mount-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.