View topic image gallery

Cyan Comparison.JPG
image.jpg
image-298.jpg
image-998.jpg
image.jpg
cometpinball.jpg
IMG_0647.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jags.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I am not positive which frosteds I got, since I got them directly from Art while I was visiting with him.... ....he said the frosted dome can be removed for a non-frosted if prefered, but I havent tried that yet.

With that description they are most likely the Frosted 1 SMD 5050. Those are extremely versatile bulbs and I have used them everywhere. It's good to have both the warm and natural whites as that will give the best looks under all circumstances. Just use the warm whites behind warm colors and the natural/cool whites behind cool colors. The Frakenstein looks great!

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I have yet to find a warm white bulb that will fit in most EM lightboards. =\

Quoted from Frax:

They have to have the same profile as an incandescent.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Got those in two sizes....the 6mm retro and the 8mm domed, both should have the same profile as an incandescent.

I used the Comet Retros almost exclusively in my Super Star EM. They worked great! Here is the thread that I started that covers the Comet Retros:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-full-led-coversion-with-comet-retros

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I'm already looking at places to put cool LEDs in Stargate. It's all incandescent now and it really needs to POP with color.

blondetall, Have you seen my LED recommendations I've posted on a few other threads? It might help with figuring out what LEDs to get. But of course now with the addition of the Op-Max Led these can now be used instead of the standard 1SMD 5050 especially under the GI plastics. Here it is again:

From my experience here is what I have come up with regarding some basic ground rules in LED choice and use:

1. I prefer the frosted 1SMD 5050 for almost everything as it gives a nice bright smooth dispersed light for inserts, under plastics for GI, and behind the back glass. Only exception is using Retros when you want that pinpoint of light showing as with an incandescent.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050.htm
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1retroled.htm

2. For back glass and under playfield plastics use warm white LEDs behind warm colors such as yellow, orange, and red, and use cool/natural white behind cool colors such as blue, green, and purple. You can use a colored LED for a "special effect" in some areas if desired. Again the frosted 1SMD 5050 works great here.

3. For inserts you can also use the frosted 1SMD 5050 but match the color of the LED to the color of the insert. The only exception is for yellow inserts. Do not use a yellow LED under a yellow insert. Instead use a warm white LED. Yellow LEDs are not bright enough and are only useful behind white inserts.

4. Use different color LEDs under white inserts to give you a more colorful playfield if that is the effect you want.

5. Use colored LEDs under playfield plastics to create a more modern colorful look if that is the effect you want.

6. Use specialty LEDs such as color changers and flex heads for those areas that may need them. Flex heads are good for where you have a sideways mounted bulb under an insert but I have found that the regular frosted 1SMD 5050 LEDs do put out enough sideways light to work just fine also.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smdflex.htm

7. Another very useful specialty bulb is the older style "Bullet" LED with a frosted lens. These are great to use if you have a bulb that "peaks" out from under a plastic and shines right in your eyes. This style of LED shines very little light to the sides so it reduces the brightness that hits your eyes. Just use a frosted warm or cool/natural to match the other LEDs in that area.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledbullet.htm

8. Every game is different so feel free to experiment with different color and type combinations. It is always a good idea to purchase a few extras so that you can experiment.

9. The most important rule sometimes is to not follow any rules. If you think it might work give it a try. If you think it won't work give it a try anyways! You will never know what works until you try. It's only a bulb and it can easily be changed out if it doesn't work for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 218.00
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.00
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jags.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/optix-maximus-op-max-bulbs-are-amazing?tu=Jags and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.