(Topic ID: 315032)

Options to repair missing paint from backglass score reel areas?

By Irishbastard

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

383d9ccad0be514831bc3c59b80478f405cf19c6 (resized).jpg
HS bg6 (resized).JPG
HS bg7 (resized).JPG
HS bg5 (resized).JPG
HS bg3 (resized).JPG
HS bg4 (resized).JPG
HS bg2 (resized).JPG
HS bg1 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20220509-170410_Gmail.jpg
20220509_153259.jpg
20220509_153303.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago

I've scraped out all the white paint, and applied a piece of thin, white mylar film. Cut out the windows with a sharp blade. Looks great, and is just the right translucency.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

I can tell/show you what I attempted for a similar situation, but the method was a bit tedious and not as easy as to get nice results as I might have imagined. Basically, I used an old fashioned razor blade followed by an Exacto blade to scrape off the old white area. The old paint/ink tends to come off in tiny micro flakes which make it hard to get a straight line, so I ended up heating the old paint GENTLY with a hair dryer so it wouldn't be so brittle, and also heating the Exacto blade. Then, I cut out mylar rectangles of precise size and positioned them properly on the back of the score window. Finally, laid down some loose masking (don't want to stick anything to the back of the good parts of the glass) and sprayed a uniform coat of some white enamel onto the back. It wasn't perfect, but I went with it until I bought a new glass.
You might do better if you can find a semi translucent stick-on material like you mentioned and then cutting out the precise rectangles with a sharp blade.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'd try using some black pinstriping tape to recreate that narrow black border before spraying the white if you're going to use the spray paint method.

#6 1 year ago

Good idea JR. I didn't think of it. My glass had other issues that I was unable to fix, such as 4 or 5 faded areas that sat over top of the antirattle pads. I ended up buying a repro glass a year later.

Well, that's the best solution!

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Where did you get the mylar?

I just had a piece laying around.
Probably can get it at a craft store. My brother once used a piece of that stuff that often covers new metal surfaces, like on a new gas grill.
It worked great.

#13 1 year ago

Sounds like a potential business opportunity for someone to produce white semi-translucent mylar appliques with the pinball score windows already cut out. Of course, different window sizes would present inventory challenges.

I think an even better business opportunity is producing adhesive strips with 0-9 printed on them for score reel repair; particularly the Gottlieb decagon ones! I don't have the technology!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/options-to-repair-missing-paint-from-backglass-score-reel-areas?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.