5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by lb1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_00000270.jpg
    image-614.jpg
    image-829.jpg
    image-486.jpg
    image.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I am looking for someone who can do a high quality clear coat job in the Bay Area. Any tips?

#2 5 years ago

You should go to bobcat batteries on Thursday nights and talk to Gary (and play pinball while you are there). He does nice clearcoat work.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

You should go to bobcat batteries on Thursday nights and talk to Gary (and play pinball while you are there). He does nice clearcoat work.

Yea is the only one that I have heard doing clearcoat in the bay. He does not do any touch ups but if all you need is a clearcoat he can take care of you.

#4 5 years ago

Are we talking glass like?

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

Are we talking glass like?

I've never had it done by him so I can't say. Maybe someone that has can provide some details on that.

#6 5 years ago

Maybe he has some examples to show you. Thursday night pinball is something to attend no matter what, so, you can't really lose.

Marc

#7 5 years ago

Yes, agreed. Thanks a lot for the information.

#8 5 years ago

I've never had another PF CC'd, so I can't compare it to another...

The closest thing that I could compare it to is my NIB Tron. The NIB Tron had about 10+ dimples, so I'd say it's better that what Stern is producing.

Short Story: it looks beautiful - woohoo!

Details below:
    From the entire playfield inspection, I could only find one dimple in the blue portion, but the camera couldn't pick it up. [see pic below] There was also a little bit of minor imperfection in the clear that kinda looks like celulite at an angle, but it's right where the apron goes. I believe that this was the area that was close to the rotiserie that he was using. He also cutout some circles to cover the star rollover spots. He later cut them out and cleared the edges, to prevent chipping at the corners.

I would have absolutely no reservation using him again. I dropped the PF's off with an employee, and picked up the PF's 4 business days later, at 200 bucks each - 1 was for a friend. I'll let him chime in, but to say the least, he was extremely pleased with his as well.

Quick, Local, Affordable, Quality.... What else could I ask for?

Before Clear, I had a tattoo artist buddy of mine do the touchup to the "seconds" playfield from Wade Krause.
    http://s291.photobucket.com/user/BassHeadGeek/media/WizardPF/BeforeTouchup.jpg.html
    http://s291.photobucket.com/user/BassHeadGeek/media/WizardPF/AfterTouchup.jpg.html

After CC'ing

Playfield with Backglass as Reflection in CC
    http://s291.photobucket.com/user/BassHeadGeek/media/GaryAndersonCC/1.jpg.html

Blue Area, can't see the dimple in the pic
    http://s291.photobucket.com/user/BassHeadGeek/media/GaryAndersonCC/2.jpg.html

Touch Up Area
    http://s291.photobucket.com/user/BassHeadGeek/media/GaryAndersonCC/3.jpg.html

HUGE THANKS to Vid1900 - I purchased his recommended paint, and it worked like a charm - http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#9 5 years ago

deja vu!!! I recall you asking this about a month ago in a previous thread.
    Bobcat batteries is the only advertised playfield CC'er I have seen.
    good luck with your search

1 week later
    #10 5 years ago

Boogies,

Beautiful, just beautiful. This settles the question about Bobcat Gary. The other advantage is that I will not need to take all the below playfield apart.

Hi Pinwillie,

What I need now is to take the playfield apart. That's an entirely new project for which I am going to build a rotisserie first. It took me forever to shop a machine before and I want to see how much easier it is to do it with the playfield out and easy to access.

Thanks so much for the information.

#11 5 years ago

Thanks for the update lb1 good luck with the project!

PS thanks for the thumbs down redlines perhaps you could of added something to the discussion to help instead of just clicking the thumbs down. Just a thought.

#12 5 years ago

I thumbs downed you by accident trying to see who this Redlines dude is. I noticed that you can change your mind and make it a thumbs up though. So you're back to even now!

#13 5 years ago

I actually never did this kind of voting before, but I will now going forward. Good way to identify useful information.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

I actually never did this kind of voting before, but I will now going forward. Good way to identify useful information.

It's a good way to kind of highlight some of the more helpful comments in a thread.

3 months later
    #15 5 years ago

I dropped my playfield at Gary's yesterday. I really like him and I have a good feeling about how it is going to come out. I will post pics when I get it back.

#16 5 years ago

Gary is a great guy, and "yes" his clear-coats look like glass. He uses the hard auto-clear, which produces the glass-like finish. While this type of clear looks stunning (see Gary's Playboy or El-Dorado), some people don't like the lack of grip. I'm sure you will love the way it looks after Gary is done with it.

#17 5 years ago

I look forward to seeing those pictures. I am also looking to have a playfield cleared.

2 weeks later
    #18 5 years ago

Some astute pinsiders correctly identified a recent craigslist post as Gary notifying me that my playfields were ready. He had lost my number, but luckily not my playfields.

We should know within a week what the end result looks like. Stay tuned.

#19 5 years ago

The pics are not great but the results are glass like.
    Ten coats of clear with a lot of sanding in between. The playfield is better than new. Far better.

Beautiful results. Gary's the guy.

image.jpg
    image-486.jpg
    image-829.jpg
    image-614.jpg

#20 5 years ago

Thanks for posting and letting us know the results. That will be a fast-playing TZ !

#21 5 years ago

Another one of the mini playfield that shows the super high gloss.

IMG_00000270.jpg
    4 years later
    #22 12 months ago

What clear coat product is being used here?

#23 12 months ago

Gary said he was using the same clear high-end German Auto makers use.
    Honestly, as long as you use a good product, I don't think it matters as much as how you prep the playfield, shoot the clear, polish it and sand it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 30.00
    $ 89.99
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 279.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside