(Topic ID: 253129)

Options for repairing a single Jones pin?

By Boise_D

11 days ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Boise_D
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Molex (resized).jpg
Jones Plug Repair (Male) (1) (resized).jpg

#1 11 days ago

The male pin #30 is missing from a Capt. Fantastic I just got today. Only the wire is there. The connector has 22 pins total. Is there a way to repair just this one pin or do I start looking for a 22 plug replacement? Of course, this pin controls all of the backbox lights.

#2 11 days ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

The male pin #30 is missing from a Capt. Fantastic I just got today. Only the wire is there. The connector has 22 pins total. Is there a way to repair just this one pin or do I start looking for a 22 plug replacement? Of course, this pin controls all of the backbox lights.

I'm kind of wondering the same about jones plug repair. Tried looking on ebay for a new one.... looks like I might need a parts head?

#3 11 days ago

Assuming no extra unused pin on another plug you could use, Add a single or whatever size Molex connector or Delphi/Packard Weather Pack or Metri-Pack connector to get the game running. Of course you can just use a good alligator clip jumper wire lead as well. Then take your time finding a replacement from one of the rummage sellers at next years TPF.

#4 11 days ago

I didn’t know Jones plugs sometimes had extra unused pins. I’ll look. And I do have some Molex pins that might work. Thank you. Any advice for mounting or attaching it back onto the board?

#5 10 days ago

Here is my solution previously used. I made this up for a Gottlieb. Will work for your Bally as well.

Jones Plug Repair (Male) (1) (resized).jpg
#6 10 days ago
Quoted from oldpins:

Here is my solution previously used. I made this up for a Gottlieb. Will work for your Bally as well.[quoted image]

You can skip the connector and solder directly into the tube. How did you crimp the tube into the plug?

#7 10 days ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

You can skip the connector and solder directly into the tube. How did you crimp the tube into the plug?

The connector blade (Crimp) is soldered to the top of the copper tube.

#8 10 days ago

Well whaddaya know? There is an unused pin on the same Jones plug. I would use that as my replacement, but how do I work it out without destroying the plug? That copper tube trick also looks feasible.

#9 10 days ago

I'd move the wires, not the plug. Or maybe just jumper the old and new jacks together and solder the dangling wire into the new plug. Maybe leave a tag or some other indication so the next person to work on the game realizes that the plug has been changed.

/Mark

#10 10 days ago

Hi Mark,
This is an excellent idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dwayne

#11 9 days ago

Here is a picture for Dwayne...........he'll know why I'm posting this pic!!

Molex (resized).jpg
#12 6 days ago

I successfully moved both female and male wires to another unused plug. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Machine - For Sale
Cave Creek, AZ
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 7,399.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 18.95
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Customs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside