(Topic ID: 9609)

Optical switch wiring question (problem solved)

By Kane

12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Kane
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0166.jpg
    DSC_0165.jpg
    DSC_0164.jpg
    DSC_0162.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

When I 1st run the diagnostics it tells me to check the optical switch.When I run the switch test the optical shows as closed. When I block the beam it then shows as open. I am guessing this is backwards from what it should be. Did I connect the wiring incorrectly on the transmitter or the receiver?

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Did you change out both Transmitter and reciever?Or just the Trasmitter?

Switched out both, top and bottom. The top one I switched exact, wire for wire, the lower one might have gotten flipped. They are both working, just showing closed at test and open when blocked. I have to believe it is a wire switched on either the transmitter or the receiver, any idea which? Why else would it work but register the opposite?
    I might just go out to the shop and flip the easiest and see what happens.

#6 12 years ago

On TZ when testing the optos they should show closed when you block the
    beam

Opto is closed when nothing is blocking it, and open when something blocks it

OK, which is it

If it's correct, closed/open, then why am I getting an error message? Diagnostics says check switch 75 & 76. I go to switch test they both read closed, when I block them they read open. What else could be the problem with both switches at the same time?

DSC_0162.jpgDSC_0162.jpg DSC_0164.jpgDSC_0164.jpg DSC_0165.jpgDSC_0165.jpg DSC_0166.jpgDSC_0166.jpg

#8 12 years ago

Got it. Thanks. Will try it out in game play.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Once you activate them in test or in game mode, the error message should go away.

Absolutely right. When I 1st turned on the game after replacing the mini-playfield it still read the old switch error. Once I started a game the error disappeared. Have to remember your advice in the future. Thanks Tomdotcom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/optical-switch-wiring-question?tu=Kane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.