• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E9B3A285-9255-456A-AF24-87BA4335A40E (resized).jpeg
E79E1097-D573-4D37-AFB4-1C9443D8025F (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Jack Danger talks about the optical spinner on Foo Fighters, I don't think I'm familiar with these. Is there a lil paddle added to the spinner? And that goes thru the slot in those lil black boxy optos?

#2 1 year ago

Elvira uses one as well

I like them as they spin longer with a solid shot
Very satisfying

Spinners with the traditional micro switch only spin so long

#3 1 year ago

There is one on the James Bond I unboxed this weekend. It 100% spins better and longer than any spinner on any machine I've ever had.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

There is one on the James Bond I unboxed this weekend. It 100% spins better and longer than any spinner on any machine I've ever had.

He did say it spins forever.
In the FF stream you can hear it in the background spinning like crazy

#5 1 year ago

I think these were introduced with Beatles?

Basically it has an opto pointed across the width of the spinner, and as the spinner spins, the spinner 'panel' itself blocks the beam. No need for any additional bits on the spinner or a switch to sap energy as it spins

#6 1 year ago

First introduced with Capcom’s Flipper Football in my experience. They’re awesome, less mechanical parts to absorb energy and slow the spinner!

#7 1 year ago

Ahem.

Police Force. Optical spinner. 1985.

#8 1 year ago

Wish Stern would release a parts number for these and parts to Marco, I wanna try and retrofit 3 into Ironman

#9 1 year ago

The way these work is a little different than a traditional opto. If you look the emitter and receiver are side by side, and as the spinner passes in front it’s bouncing the beam back.

That means no need to have parts on either side to break the beam.

Retrofit kits for mechanical switch spinners would be awesome. But I wonder if they wouldn’t need a little logic. I think with how they work it might register a spin with every half rotation?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The way these work is a little different than a traditional opto. If you look the emitter and receiver are side by side, and as the spinner passes in front it’s bouncing the beam back. That means no need to have parts on either side to break the beam.

On the opto-spinners like on the Beatles, the emitter and receiver are across from each other, so it is breaking the beam.

Quoted from Aurich:

Retrofit kits for mechanical switch spinners would be awesome. But I wonder if they wouldn’t need a little logic. I think with how they work it might register a spin with every half rotation?

Well that would make it seem like they spin forever!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think these were introduced with Beatles?
Basically it has an opto pointed across the width of the spinner, and as the spinner spins, the spinner 'panel' itself blocks the beam. No need for any additional bits on the spinner or a switch to sap energy as it spins

Great point. Thanks

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I plan on getting some of these when available and adding them to classic stern games. Would be easy to add an alternator to the software logic to ignore the 1/2 spin.

Firepower would be a good choice to retrofit as well, since the default is to 'delay' counting up the score and it whips it off all at once. Probably add something like that to seawitch, I think it would spin so fast that the older boards might not be fast enough to process everything.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I plan on getting some of these when available and adding them to classic stern games. Would be easy to add an alternator to the software logic to ignore the 1/2 spin.
Firepower would be a good choice to retrofit as well, since the default is to 'delay' counting up the score and it whips it off all at once. Probably add something like that to seawitch, I think it would spin so fast that the older boards might not be fast enough to process everything.

I'd love to add one to Meteor. With the updated code out there for it, adding logic shouldn't be an issue.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from misterschu:

On the opto-spinners like on the Beatles, the emitter and receiver are across from each other, so it is breaking the beam.

Yeah Beatles must have been Sterns first revision I guess with the emitter and receiver on opposite sides and then on Bond they refined them with the emitter and receiver on the same side which looks a lot better, really cleans up the whole look.

E79E1097-D573-4D37-AFB4-1C9443D8025F (resized).jpegE79E1097-D573-4D37-AFB4-1C9443D8025F (resized).jpegE9B3A285-9255-456A-AF24-87BA4335A40E (resized).jpegE9B3A285-9255-456A-AF24-87BA4335A40E (resized).jpeg
#15 1 year ago

Rush has the optical spinner, Tx and Rx on one side.

I love how that thing spins.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

I'd love to add one to Meteor. With the updated code out there for it, adding logic shouldn't be an issue.

Yep, adding it to DickHamill 's or mine http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/ should be easy enough.

The biggest issue I'll probably run into with the original style coding is getting the spinner counters to work > 200 spins! My mechanical meteor spinner gets in the 80's most of the time.

Meteor is slated to be updated with my new 7 digit style coding which fixes the quirks left over from the Oliver Kaegi verison.... just have to carve out some time for that.

The optical with the RxTx on one side is the way to go I think for a retrofit. Will have to come up with other stickers for it though.

Can you imagine nine ball with an optical spinner??? That would be really crazy.

#17 1 year ago

If I can get a few, hopefully Marco get them listed soon (odd for them not to have a part listed early and these have been out for a while now) I will put them in Ironman and see how it goes.

As soon as I played Beatles back when it released I instantly said these would be cool in Ironman, set Monger to hard or very hard and rip those spinners!!

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from misterschu:

Right, I should have been more clear that that style does exist (and isn't a Stern invention) but all the new ones are doing one side. I don't know if that is something Stern innovated or not either, but it is a much cleaner way to do it.

Thanks for posting those pics J85M that's helpful.

#19 1 year ago

Wouldn't you need some type of logic board to covert the signal or code changes to retrofit existing standard micro switch spinner games? Due to optos being normally closed vs normally open? Maybe I'm getting that backwards, but either way, traditionally optos register differently than micro switches I thought. Perhaps that is an option I'm unaware of depending on how you wire it.

Though perhaps the type with both tx and rx on one side would operate more like a normal switch, if indeed you're not breaking the beam, but instead reflecting it back to trigger the switch. That would seem more like a normally open switch behavior if I understand it correctly. Other than the potential two hits per spin I guess...

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The way these work is a little different than a traditional opto. If you look the emitter and receiver are side by side, and as the spinner passes in front it’s bouncing the beam back.
That means no need to have parts on either side to break the beam.

I would suspect there is a small driver board for these just like any other opto that translates the Opto state to the switch matrix, drives the proper voltage to the xmitter, etc.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right, I should have been more clear that that style does exist (and isn't a Stern invention) but all the new ones are doing one side. I don't know if that is something Stern innovated or not either, but it is a much cleaner way to do it.
Thanks for posting those pics J85M that's helpful.

Ya, the single side tx/rx is much sleeker

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Though perhaps the type with both tx and rx on one side would operate more like a normal switch, if indeed you're not breaking the beam, but instead reflecting it back to trigger the switch. That would seem more like a normally open switch behavior if I understand it correctly.

This is an interesting point regarding the double counting per spin; if it's reflecting back you could just put some matte black paint on one half of the spinner to prevent reflection.

#23 1 year ago

Iron Maiden was also made in 2018 - does it have optical spinners as well?

#24 1 year ago

Yeah the real issue is an opto spinner detects two switch closures compared to one on a mechanical spinner. You'd have to have some sort of logic block to get the game to see the correct number of spins.

Quoted from John-Floyd:

Iron Maiden was also made in 2018 - does it have optical spinners as well?

No. I think it uses skinny spinners though (which are more common these days anyhow). Less mass than a traditional spinner = less loss in angular momentum therefore more spinz

#25 1 year ago

Thankyou - I Appreciate the answer.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Ahem.
Police Force. Optical spinner. 1985.

“Spinner” being generous! Yes, it fits the definition, but you only use it on the skillshot plunge as a toy that only gives a few spins!

When’s the first use of an optical spinner as an actual spinner shot and not just a plunge?

4 months later
#27 11 months ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog/page/3#post-7682526

Hot off the press...it ain't mechanical, it ain't optical....but yes, it is an MRS spinner!!!

Matt & Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brunswick, GA
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 26.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Westbrook, ME
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
BomberMods

$ 1,700.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Raiden Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bryan, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 16.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.