Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I had not bought a game in a year I was itching to buy something. Needed to convince my wife so that I didn't have to sell something also. I almost pulled the trigger on a sweet Mustang, but the theme was not for me. I've heard Mustang is a fun pin, but I only played a couple of games and could not decide. I also almost pulled the trigger on Met pro (or Kiss), but having so many Borg games already IM, Tron, XMLE, I just felt that I'd like something a bit different.

I finally was able to pull the trigger on a 2 owner HUO 2003 TSPP. It's in great shape, except for a bit of paint flake off the shooter lane.

I've almost cornered the market on Stern pins.

Going by the top-100 (Pinside) I now have 8 of the top10 Stern Pins (if I combine double pins like AcDc, Tron and Met to make them count as one title).

Now the only two Stern pins top10 that I don't have are Met and LOTR.

I am adjusting to having an older title like TSPP since the rest of my pins are SAM I am not loving the sound quality or the three button menu system of the Whitestar system. But I love how many shots there are in this pin. The rules are just insane, I wish all my pins had as many thoughtful touches. Not necessarily needing the same depth, but just the call outs when you drain and if your ball is waiting in the shooter lane and the variety of hurry-ups and doubling and so on.

#2 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Looks nice. You and I have similar taste in machines. I'd be surprised / interested to see if this one lasts in your lineup. It didn't do it for me...too "clunky" (as much as I hate that description - it works for this machine).

Not trying to bash your thread BTW, I'm happy for you, sincerely just anticipating what this thread will read a few months down the road.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Now the only two Stern pins top10 that I don't have are Met and LOTR.

You should own both of these. You'd love both, but MET would be a long term keeper for you...trust me.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

Looks nice. You and I have similar taste in machines. I'd be surprised / interested to see if this one lasts in your lineup. It didn't do it for me...too "clunky" (as much as I hate that description - it works for this machine).
Not trying to bash your thread BTW, I'm happy for you, sincerely just anticipating what this thread will read a few months down the road.

I know what you mean. I mean something always has to be the one to go. For a while I wanted that to be PotC since I've owned it forever. But that game is just so much fun. I have only just played a few games on my TSPP so I am not sure. I seem to be getting glare on the upper PF (not from the DMD but from the lighting up there) not sure if LED inserts would help. But just real hard to see the ball real well. So, it's really not time to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if TSPP was to be the odd one out if I decided to get another pin. It will be 6-12 months from now, so it's not like I am giving up on it. I really want to love TSPP and I have been reading the rules but even now it's hard for me to grasp what's going on. (note: I found the same thing with WoZ, never played it a lot) so maybe if I can push through and learn what's doing, I will appreciate TSPP more.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

You should own both of these. You'd love both, but MET would be a long term keeper for you...trust me.

I wonder, now that I've said that TSPP is hard for me to follow, maybe Met would be the better pin for me. I know that it's got nicer sound and is more modern. I was just thinking, how I've got the market cornered on two ramps straight ahead and somewhat same-ish layouts on IM. But really IM is the much better theme for me. Plus I wanted something a bit different.

I figure worse case I keep it 6-12 months

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I know what you mean. I mean something always has to be the one to go. For a while I wanted that to be PotC since I've owned it forever. But that game is just so much fun. I have only just played a few games on my TSPP so I am not sure. I seem to be getting glare on the upper PF (not from the DMD but from the lighting up there) not sure if LED inserts would help. But just real hard to see the ball real well. So, it's really not time to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if TSPP was to be the odd one out if I decided to get another pin. It will be 6-12 months from now, so it's not like I am giving up on it. I really want to love TSPP and I have been reading the rules but even now it's hard for me to grasp what's going on. (note: I found the same thing with WoZ, never played it a lot) so maybe if I can push through and learn what's doing, I will appreciate TSPP more.

Quoted from rai:

I wonder, now that I've said that TSPP is hard for me to follow, maybe Met would be the better pin for me. I lnow that it's got nicer sound and is more modern. I was just thinking, how I've got the market cornered on two ramps straight ahead and somewhat same-ish layouts on IM. But really IM is the much better theme for me. Plus I wanted something a bit different.
I figure worse case I keep it 6-12 months

Give it time, RAI. Don't let POTC go, it's got a place in your lineup. Play the crap out of TSPP...you'll definitely enjoy it, as will you enjoy LOTR. Once you get a MET, you'll be hooked!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

Give it time, RAI. Don't let POTC go, it's got a place in your lineup. Play the crap out of TSPP...you'll definitely enjoy it, as will you enjoy LOTR. Once you get a MET, you'll be hooked!

I'm going to give it time for sure, I'm used to the 'insert tree' or 'compass' but on tspp there is so much going on and little lights not necessarily like the typical insert tree if you know, also may help if I LED it.

played some more, still having a tough time on the upper PF and not understanding the rules much but am enjoying it a lot.

So many good pins out there while I know Met is much loved, I'm not selling XMLE, Tron or IM so I don't want to get redundant (while I know they are all different, there is a certain sameness and TSPP is totally different than my other pins.

5 months later
#10 8 years ago

Rather than start a new thread, I'll bump my old one.

I did it again, got yet another Stern this a Met pro.

I had been looking at Met 2 years ago at the time that IMVE was re--run. Ended up getting IMVE and it's a keeper.

I had thought that Met pro might be too similar to IM what with 2 flippers, 2 ramps, 2 orbits, 4-important standup targets. But actually they don't play too much the same.

I set my Met up way steep with the back legs almost fully extended and boy if this isn't brutal. I needed to extend the ball saver to 10 seconds because I was getting such short ball times.

Only problem, seems like I get rejects from a hard snake hit. Not sure if that's normal.

I'm glad I did get this pin now I'm at 4 Borg (out of my 8 pin collection) but he makes real nice pins.

#11 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#12 8 years ago

Awesome lineup. Great play style variety there actually. Congrats. MET is one of the best of all time.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Awesome lineup. Great play style variety there actually. Congrats. MET is one of the best of all time.

Thanks, I can't think of one that'd I'd sell.

Overall the two older ones PotC and Tspp play a lot differently than the newer ones which are more conventional modern layouts.

Tron/XM and IM/Met seem to be similar if you really look at the layout but don't play much alike.

Oddly one pin I sold 3 months ago SM was more than a bit similar to ST and while I did like SM quite a lot, I think overall if I'd have to say I like Tspp for sure better and quite possible will like Metallica more than SM. I'm not against SM and I do like it a lot, but just didn't have the same one more game feel. I call Met my SM replacement and so far I'm happy. Hard now that I'm out of cash so no more hunting for a while.

Had considered to get GOT or TWD instead of Met, but I got a good deal since this Met has awesome chrome armor (but I'm thinking of switching that over to Tron as it'll look more like the Tron LE).

#14 8 years ago

Hmmmm...... no LOTR?

#15 8 years ago

Go Hobbit Le instead.It will be worth the wait !

#16 8 years ago

Great line up! Agree with your words on TSPP. Was so different/refreshing getting that in the collection after owning a few of the new Stern games.

Cheers!
Adam.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 16.00
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 218.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opps-i-did-it-again-another-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.