20170325_112758 (resized).jpg
20170323_230327 (resized).jpg
IMG_2385 (resized).PNG
IMG_2384 (resized).JPG
Play field (resized).jpg
side cabinet (resized).jpg
Back Glass (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I found a new project machine. Someone put the insides into a new cabinet. And painted it so make it worth even less. Question. So I just strip and repaint the cabinet, or Should I try and recreate a wood rail cabinet and move it over?

Back Glass (resized).jpgBack Glass (resized).jpg

side cabinet (resized).jpgside cabinet (resized).jpg

Play field (resized).jpgPlay field (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I'd search for a donor period correct cabinet and then repaint.

#3 7 years ago

Does it have a wood rail lockdown bar? That's odd.

You could always at least repaint it to make it presentable. It may look neat as a reverse wedgie. I once saw a Sittin' Pretty in a wedge head cab. Obviously less desirable than being in the correct cab but there was a part of me that thought it was kind of neat. I mean after awhile you see the same games over and over. So to see one of these operator conversions is kind of interesting in an odd way. It's almost like seeing a new and different old game.

#4 7 years ago

Does it play as it is now? Do you have the carpentry skills? Can you get the measurements for a new cabinet, and head? Is it even possible to find a correct used cabinet and head?

Plenty of questions.

For now, you could apply some gold/yellow paint on it, to make it look more original.

#5 7 years ago

Maybe just stick on some wall paper, and that might be one cool custom.

IMG_2384 (resized).JPGIMG_2384 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

Whoops those are roses. I'm color blind too, but you might find a cool pattern

IMG_2385 (resized).PNGIMG_2385 (resized).PNG

#7 7 years ago

Wow that's hideous.

I'd probably find any donor cab from the period and just use it, most of those cabs have pretty generic art.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wow that's hideous.
I'd probably find any donor cab from the period and just use it, most of those cabs have pretty generic art.

Quoted from MikeO:

I'd search for a donor period correct cabinet and then repaint.

Definitely acquire a donor cabinet.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

It may look neat as a reverse wedgie. I once saw a Sittin' Pretty in a wedge head cab.

I once saw a Flipper in a wedgehead cab.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe even twice?......

#11 7 years ago

twice in the last hour...

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Does it have a wood rail lockdown bar? That's odd.

Yes but is pretty beat up.

Quoted from AlexF:

I once saw a Sittin' Pretty in a wedge head cab. Obviously less desirable than being in the correct cab but there was a part of me that thought it was kind of neat. I mean after awhile you see the same games over and over. So to see one of these operator conversions is kind of interesting in an odd way. It's almost like seeing a new and different old game.

That is the debate in my head.

Quoted from Darcy:

Does it play as it is now? Do you have the carpentry skills? Can you get the measurements for a new cabinet, and head? Is it even possible to find a correct used cabinet and head?
Plenty of questions.
For now, you could apply some gold/yellow paint on it, to make it look more original.

Play - Partially. Skill - mediocre. Have a 1953 Gottlieb Poker Face. (In better condition).

Waited 3 weeks for the poker face owner to call. While I making the deal on Golden bells (combo of sour grapes and falling in love with the ugliest puppy in the pound). Pokeface owner called back. Now I have two to keep me busy.

#13 7 years ago

Hey Argosy.
Have done a couple total repaints. that cab needs one.
easy to do, since you are startin from ...that... lol
Good news is , no one is gonna slam you for what ever you do to it...it is an empty canvas.
Have fun with it, and it will look fine.
And, if/when you do find a donor, quick swap. all good.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Maybe just stick on some wall paper

<cringe> I hope you are not serious.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have a couple Flippers in Wedge Head cabs. One is pretty nice, the other pretty rough.
Also have a 1960 Williams Jungle in a reverse Wedge Head. Not sure what
cab. it is, but the colors match perfectly with the glass and playfield and I actually think it
may look better than if it were in it's original cabinet..

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I have a couple Flippers in Wedge Head cabs. One is pretty nice, the other pretty rough.
Also have a 1960 Williams Jungle in a reverse Wedge Head. Not sure what
cab. it is, but the colors match perfectly with the glass and playfield and I actually think it
may look better than if it were in it's original cabinet..

My brother has a Williams "Skill Ball" (with an "Add-A-Ball" repro backglass) in a Williams "King Pin" cabinet. I've thought of making a woodrail version of a wedgehead game. Would love to do "Kings & Queens" in a woodrail cabinet with daisy bumper caps. "Square Head" and "Sweet Hearts" would look good as woodrails as well.
As for your game, I'd paint the existing cabinet white for now, and try to find the appropriate style woodrail cabinet for it down the road.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

As for your game, I'd paint the existing cabinet white for now, and try to find the appropriate style woodrail cabinet for it down the road.

I have one of those Add-a-Ball repro glasses for my Skill Ball. I think only 12 repros were made and some guys
convinced him to make it Add a Ball, but I kinda wish it was Skill Ball.
Are you talking about the Jungle? The Jungle's original cab. was that odd style that Williams made for 1 year. I
have another Williams game (1960 Black Jack) that has that same style cabinet. I don't have any pics of the Cabinet
that the Jungle's in, but after checking out the database, it looks much better than Jungle's original cabinet..
Once better weather comes around, I'll keep in mind to take a pic of the Reverse Wedge head that Jungles in, and
maybe someone can identify it, but I will say, the Jungle really does look nice it it..

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Jungle really does look nice it it..

I'm sure it does, but it is really hard to top the style of cabinet Jungle originally came in.

Although I don't personally own a Jungle, I have two games that do have that cabinet and that shelf comes in mighty handy. Pretty solid build on them too.

#19 7 years ago

Any chance you'd be able to scan that backglass? The art on mine had completely fallen off by the time it came in my possession.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

but it is really hard to top the style of cabinet Jungle originally came in.

I can believe that, and I considered switching cabinets (Jungle into Black Jack), but the cab. Jungle is
in looks so nice, and if you check out Jungle on the database, the colors look almost not original as
someone had painted it. Easy to create, but very plain. The 1960 Black Jack I have came with a purple
painted cabinet, but after looking that one up, it also has a very simple plain two tone color scheme..
Got like 26" of snow in 1 1/2 days last week. Once that's gone, I'll get Jungle out and take a pic. I remember
red, green, and yellow the colors on the cab. It's an inverted Wedge Head cab., but matches the rest of the game
beautifully.. (T)

#21 7 years ago

How is Black Jack as far as a player? Looks similar to 21. It and Lady Luck are both amazing games, trying to get a good hand and beat the dealer.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I have one of those Add-a-Ball repro glasses for my Skill Ball. I think only 12 repros were made and some guys
convinced him to make it Add a Ball, but I kinda wish it was Skill Ball.
Are you talking about the Jungle? The Jungle's original cab. was that odd style that Williams made for 1 year. I
have another Williams game (1960 Black Jack) that has that same style cabinet. I don't have any pics of the Cabinet
that the Jungle's in, but after checking out the database, it looks much better than Jungle's original cabinet..
Once better weather comes around, I'll keep in mind to take a pic of the Reverse Wedge head that Jungles in, and
maybe someone can identify it, but I will say, the Jungle really does look nice it it..

I'll bet your "Jungle" is in a "Skill Pool" cabinet. Just a hunch.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

How is Black Jack as far as a player? Looks similar to 21. It and Lady Luck are both amazing games, trying to get a good hand and beat the dealer.

"Black Jack", "21", and "Club House" are all fairly similar games.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Any chance you'd be able to scan that backglass?

You mean Jungle glass? I have a repro from Shay, but I believe a limited were made and now out..
My original doesn't look bad. When I got it in, someone did a very good job package taping the backside
and after last looking, all is still intact. I'll take a pic of the back and front of that also..

Quoted from o-din:

How is Black Jack as far as a player?

I haven't set either Black Jack or Jungle up yet. I have some others of the Williams
60s machines, but for now I'm out of room, and really would like to go through some
of them, and one day will be able to..
I have a Bally EM Black Jack that also you need to beat the dealer, but the layout on that
one is much different than Williams Black Jack/21, but still another one I wouldn't mind
having set up..

Quoted from jrpinball:

I'll bet your "Jungle" is in a "Skill Pool" cabinet. Just a hunch.

I'll look up Skill Pool. I think I checked Odin's 21 on here, but I'll check that one out also..

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

and if you check out Jungle on the database, the colors look almost not original as
someone had painted it. Easy to create, but very plain.

Yes, that whole "styling of the sixties" series had cabinets with one solid color plus white, with silver spatter. Very easy to repaint. Each game has it's own different solid color. "Jungle" has green, "Darts" has navy blue, "Black Jack" is pink, "Highways" is brown, etc.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Woodrail versions of "Flipper" are, of course, the rare exception. Wedgehead versions are much more common.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Jungle" has green, "Darts" has navy blue, "Black Jack" is pink, "Highways" is brown, etc.

Any idea how many titles were produced with this style cabinet?
I looked up Skill Pool, and the front of the head looks to be, and maybe
the sides of the cab., but can't say for sure. Perhaps this weekend I'll
be able to get to the Jungle fairly easy enough..
Looked up 21 and the looks of the cabinet blows away Black Jack, but the game play
does look to be at least very close to the same. Black Jack has the instruction card
posted. Might be the exact same as 21..

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Any idea how many titles were produced with this style cabinet?

I believe ten-

Darts
Viking
Music Man
Magic Clock
Jungle
Highways
BoBo
Black Jack
Caravelle
Hollywood

#29 7 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with a Cabinet re-paint. I will post When I get it done.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Earlier tonight while doing some sorting trying to get to a bowler, I spotted a machine that I now remember getting
years back. Williams "Top Hand". Could use a backglass, but the playfield looks okay. After looking it up on the
database, the couple that rated it both gave it a good one and it too is a game which you try and get a better hand than
the dealer. Nice looking Western theme. Maybe worth putting a little time into..

#31 7 years ago

This is at Texas Pinball Festival

20170323_230327 (resized).jpg20170323_230327 (resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

i'll be darned, Golden balls.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Thanks for sharing Jeff....... Send more pics!

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Earlier tonight while doing some sorting trying to get to a bowler, I spotted a machine that I now remember getting
years back. Williams "Top Hand". Could use a backglass, but the playfield looks okay. After looking it up on the
database, the couple that rated it both gave it a good one and it too is a game which you try and get a better hand than
the dealer. Nice looking Western theme. Maybe worth putting a little time into..

It's a good player. I had the replay version called "Full House". The backglasses on these are often shot.
If your big center plastic does not have cracked or broken corners, that's a rarity too. Most are broken.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

If your big center plastic does not have cracked or broken corners, that's a rarity too.

I had to run out and get some bowler score reels so also checked Top Hand's plastics,
and all look good including the Center that covers the drum reels.
Now just hope I'll find the front legs. Should be somewhat in that area, but if
not, I'll have to get their length and shorten a couple extras I have laying around.. (T)

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

That's sher purty!

#37 7 years ago

20170325_112758 (resized).jpg20170325_112758 (resized).jpg

20170325_112802 (resized).jpg20170325_112802 (resized).jpg

20170325_112806 (resized).jpg20170325_112806 (resized).jpg

20170325_112813 (resized).jpg20170325_112813 (resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

<cringe> I hope you are not serious.

I was serious, because I don't know what type of budget someone else has. It's already a Frankenstein, so to speak. I'd paper it up and put it in my living room, but that's just me. Don't judge!

2 years later
#39 4 years ago

Woodrails are truly beautiful pinball machines!
Roy Parker artwork in its full colorful glory can't be beat and I currently have 5 NIB repro Gottlieb backglasses that I purchased from Shay, but didn't end up using, that I'm offering at discounted prices (including free insured shipping to 48 states) on Pinside.
First come, first served!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87556
1952 Gottlieb Queen of Hearts repro bg FRONT (resized).JPG1952 Gottlieb Queen of Hearts repro bg FRONT (resized).JPG
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87557
1953 Gottlieb Grand Slam repro bg FRONT (resized).jpg1953 Gottlieb Grand Slam repro bg FRONT (resized).jpg
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87558
1955 Gtb Frontiersman Repro BG Front (resized).JPG1955 Gtb Frontiersman Repro BG Front (resized).JPG
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87559
1956 Gtb Harbor Lites Repro BG Front (resized).JPG1956 Gtb Harbor Lites Repro BG Front (resized).JPG
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87561
1956 Gtb Rainbow Repro BG Front (resized).JPG1956 Gtb Rainbow Repro BG Front (resized).JPG
[quoted image]

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-wanted-to-woodrail-or-not-to-woodrail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.