(Topic ID: 47340)

Opinions Wanted: AC/DC Premium vs Hulk LE

By Chambahz

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 11 years ago

ACDC is the perfect game in a 1pin lineup. You can play it for points, to progress through songs, or for fun. But if your already thinking of trading/selling, maybe it's not the game for you?

ACDC is the type of game you can hit start and make shots right off the bat. It's frustrating point comes with how easy and cheap some ball drains can be (I think I need to tighten my outlanes to be fair). Avengers takes time and patience. It's frustrations come when you can't hit a shot. Avengers also takes a lot of tweaking and tuning because its more complex. Mods exist to shut up the naysayers about certain aspects of the design or quality.

That all said; I'm personally drawn to avengers more, but the reality is ACDC is far superior for the reasons I stated. Easy to learn (hard to master); little tuning required.

And for people who think there's no strategy in AV ruleset, LOL. This is another topic in itself, but in short; the 100mil bonuses you read about don't grow on trees. Don't collect a single avenger too early, collect as many as you can on one ball and watch the scoring magic happen. Mb's should be used very wisely with how the board is playing out. I bet most people that dont like AV cant even light up half the board. It's a hard game which is its downfall in the popularity dept.

SKB

#75 11 years ago

The saucer argument is so irreverent. In TF, it's a mandatory as its one of your 'fan' layout shots. So bounce outs on it suck. I fixed mine with drop dead ball foam.

And unless you removed the IH control gate; never getting a ball stuck for a ball search in TF is a complete flat out lie.

For avengers; here's a tip - if your shooting for the saucer, YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG. The saucer is so irrelevant in the game, it's filler space for the most part as it fits in between the CA shot and H target. There's 3 shots that the saucer effects in game rules, two of which is hit by shooting BW, and not going for a direct saucer hit. The 3rd, extra ball, must be hit in the saucer and I find it a little more fun and challenging that the EB is this way since its easy to light. I'm actually getting pretty good at ricocheting it around the tesserect and into the hole. I will agree, however, that a bounce out on the saucer after a BW shot SUCKS! But stern sent out a fix for that, plus you can add some dead ball foam to secure it more. But it's not a mystery award saucer, or a critical shot of the game IMO.

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I've played them at shows. Marco's booth at MPE. Played the PAPA one a lot setup for tournament. For AV I was getting 80-90% bounce outs. All 4 machines I played, the plunger wouldn't worth worth a crap, and would only get to the top from a plunger smack. (4 machines in 3 different shows). Double ball kick outs on 2 of them. All 4 were screwed with perma stuck ball under hulks left side arm, if it snuck back there.

You just described two of the biggest tweaks I made to mine; plunger - fixed. Bounce outs - I'm assuming you're referring to BW bounce outs? Couple washers fixed this for me.

Hulk hang ups. I tweaked my hulk by re-centering the opto wheel switch and tightening the screw. My platform in front of hulk is actually misaligned and wasn't registering, stern sent me a new one but I tweaked mine before the new one arrived and it works 95% of the time, I may put the new one on to see if I can increase that %to 99or100. But 95% is good for me, for now. In either case, ball hang ups were worse on IH pf than hulk (until I removed the IH gate). But if ball searches aren't freeing the ball in 3 secs; there's another problem.

So ya, all the things you mentioned are common tweaks that most homeowners have done. And is also why most homeowners love this pin. I'd hate this pin too if I played the one you mentioned. But if your open minded enough to know that It's pinball and adjustments need to be made, then you'll understand that it might be a good game; it just sucks out of the box. I will agree that there should have been better CQ with this title (and xmen, and TF) but making tweaks and adjustments are part of pinball, new and used. And when a new pin is on location or at papa, sometimes these things are missed as they're unheard of since they are so new. Which is why I tell people that AV is for advanced players, both in playability and in fine tuning it.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I agree some games had problems out of the box. AC/DC had the foggy window and high voltage to the LED's causing them to burn out fast. Xmen, had the wolverine to low, aux board problems. TF had the drop target airballs. It's unfortunate to have problems when we are paying over double for NIB, but it's the nature of the best. Most of these problems could have been avoided easy. You can't tell me, they didn't notice at the factory that the ball was hitting Wolverines arm? Seriously. Would have taken 1 game to realize this is a big screw up. But they don't care is what it comes down to. Sad to say.
but now it's been 4 games in a row with design problems right out of the box. Isn't it time for Stern to say, hey....we need better quality control before a game is released.

Agreed 100%
Which is why My next title is a high end B/W game. Most I paid for a used B/W in the past is 1600 big ones. This next B/W I pick up this weekend (yay!) would easily cover the price of MOPLE and I'm wondering what kind of eye opener it will be for me. Used vs new for the same price. Im very nervous spending this kind of coin on a used game. Time and patience will see what the end verdict is. One things for sure, I'm done with preordering nib.

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm bookmarking this post for future use!

Rofl!
I said preorder. I'll still buy nib

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
16,500 (Firm)
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-wanted-acdc-premium-vs-hulk-le?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.