6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheFamilyArcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

So how many of you who own an AC/DC Premium would trade it straight up for a HULK LE?

Are there any Hulk LE owners out there who would trade for an AC/DC Premium?

I can't help but think that Hulk may be worth more currently but AC/DC Premium is the better game (to me at this time, anyway).

Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

I've only had limited play on an Avengers LE, but I'd never even consider making that trade.

#3 6 years ago

I played both and thought that Hulk was a great game, but it's not even close to being as good as AC/DC Premium. I decided to buy AC/DC Premium...with no regrets!

#4 6 years ago

I've played Avengers LE quite a bit this last weekend, and it's aweful. Designed terrible. the Saucer is poorly placed and designed. Drop ramp for it works like ass. Hulk area is just a mess of problems. Piss poor game at best. I wanted to like it, because it's not your typical fan pattern crap Stern has been releasing 90% of the time, but man does it need some work. AC/DC, tho cookie cutter layout, blows your balls off in fun and intensity.

#5 6 years ago

I'd say value wise they are the opposite with AC/DC Premium being worth more in today's market. They may be closer to a straight up at the moment if not having AC/DC Prem being a bit higher.

This one's going to be stricktly personal choice but this thread will be heavly one sided towards AC/DC on the post count.

I'm going to be in the minority on this forum by a LONG shot but I prefer my AV pro over my AC/DC Prem. Don't get me wrong. I think AC/DC is a great pin but after a week of having mine I've already gotten tired of just trying to score ___.

#6 6 years ago

The last HulkLE sold on Pinside went for $5999 NIB

The others on Pinside for sale... Are still for sale

I don't see this one turning into a TronLE or BIBLE. More like a TFLE, XMLE & etc.

AVG is a fun game with a fresh layout but the visibility issues, flexing plastic, 555 bulbs dropping from sockets & more than a couple Hulk issues keep it from going into my lineup. Others will tell you all problems can be tweaked away but that's not 100% true.

ACDC isn't a game for my household either but to me it's superior to Avengers.

Both are great games, keep the one you like.

85vette is right, the pro is good, maybe get a pro to sit next to your ACDC premium?

#7 6 years ago

I own Avengers LE (which I consider the same as Hulk, who cares about the cosmetics) and I think this is a tough call. Overall I'd consider ACDC the better pin, but really like both, as both are VERY different. So especially for a smaller collection both pins work well together.

#8 6 years ago

I own both and love them both- Avengers tends to get a bad rap because of some design oversights but it's a very fun game with rewarding difficult shots. It has a great visual look and the light shows are awesome. When you get to a VS mode you feel like you have really accomplished something.

AC/DC plays fast and flowing and is very "pure" pinball to me.

From a value standpoint AC/DC is hotter but it also depends on how many premiums Stern keeps churning out. There are only a limited number of Avengers LE, so time will tell. I still think Avengers is the best kept secret right now.

Like anything else, play them both and get what you like!

#9 6 years ago

Like the gameplay of Avengers more than ACDC.

But ACDC Premium is worth more I would ASSume?

#10 6 years ago

I think you should make the trade.

Or if you're interested in buying the Hulk flat-out, let me know.

#11 6 years ago

I have them side by side and I love them both. I don't think ACDC is made any better than AVLE. The quality is similar IMO. Gameplay is polar opposite, but each have their appeal. ACDC is an in your face game with an incredible light show and awesome rules. AVLE is unlike any pin I've ever played. Harder shots. Addictive and fun but way more understated. Awesome lightshow but totally different. I think time will reward AvLE. It's way more of an acquired taste than ACDC, Which easy to like and has already taken its place among the greats. I think AVLE will ultimately be recognized for being a great pin in its own right. I honestly think AV is too hard for some people, that don't like being humbled time and time again by hard, narrow shots AS WELL as speedy outlanes drains that you have no control over.

#12 6 years ago

own both
not even close
acdc prem much better flo, engaging music, better light show

there are 2 fun shots on hulk (bl widow and hawkeye) and music/sound is annoying....acdc has ramps, bell, canon, 'hell down below'....home run game

if I find out Gomez is doing Metallica, I may pause on my LE order

#13 6 years ago

Played both at TheFamilyArcade (thank you) and enjoyed AC/DC much better!

#14 6 years ago

HAve acdc myself and played hulk with a pinball friend of mine. Sorry, but acdc wins very easy in terms of gameplay, sound, pure joy

Just see how many huo avengers are already offered for sale and how little acdc premium let alone le. This should be a hint which is the best pin to

#15 6 years ago

Plus, put an Avengers LE up for even trade for AC/DC premium and see how many takers you get. I predict 0. And Hulk LE was way more in price than AC/DC premium.

#16 6 years ago

Do you now HAVE the AC/DC? If so, that's the one to keep...

#17 6 years ago

Yeah, I have the AC/DC currently. My place can only fit 1 pin setup at a time so it's partly spurred by the flash of playing something new. I did recently buy a TSPP that I'm going to swap in/out of storage with the AC/DC just to mix it up but one thing I love about the trade idea is that you get a new-to-you pin to enjoy for months without any up front cost.
Tough though... I expect I'll keep my AC/DC for the long haul and sell TSPP closer to when Star Trek comes out, then swap AC/DC and Star Trek from time to time.
That's the plan til Hobbit comes out anyway...

#18 6 years ago

That's the plan to go with! Keep the ac/dc fer now ...

#19 6 years ago

AC/DC all day long. Design comparisons aside, it's all about the rules. The great thing about AC/DC's rules is you truly can chose how you want to play it. Lyman's code is always a few steps ahead of you and every shot results in various options for your next shot, and you have to think fast !

-Do I wanna go for a combo?
-Do I wanna set up a multiball?
-Do I wanna START the multiball or stack the others on top of it?
-Do I wanna collect notes for the song jackpot?
-Do I wanna hit the bell to get 2x or 3x Scoring?
-Do I wanna switch songs or keep going with this one?
-Do I wanna load the cannon or risk building up more jackpot?

Avengers is pretty much your standard "Shoot each shot x times to start something", and it's not a bad version of that ruleset...it works for what it is...but because it's a bit more linear in its objectives, it can get boring quicker.

This is why I think AC/DC has amazing longevity...it's "play how you want" nature and "learn more nuance as you go" programming.

#20 6 years ago

Do I wanna use the Lower Playfield Thingy...

#21 6 years ago

In my earlier post I should have added that for me it took alot longer to adapt and enjoy AV than it did ACDC. Took me days to sink into AVLE. You are not going to play it 10 or 20 times and figure it out, or hit the shots get into the vibe (or rules for that matter).

I am not saying that you're not "right" if you like ACDC more...I'm just saying that akin to Tron (which took many many months for people to appreciate) and SM and IM which took YEARS to catch on, AV may require that kind of investment in attention and time.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Do I wanna use the Lower Playfield Thingy...

I believe the better you do in the lower play field the higher your song jackpot will be.

#23 6 years ago

I want to play Avatar LE and hope they have one at Pinfest.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I believe the better you do in the lower play field the higher your song jackpot will be.

Definitely. There's a lot of strategy surrounding it. For example, you can start with HAABPTB and build the song jackpot up to around 3m right away pretty easily. You can hit the bell a few times to get that up to 2x, and cash in or continue building it.

H2H is a really good one to build, you could get 2x or 3x before shooting the right ramp to go to hell. I can get it up to 6/7m down there pretty easily, so you could really cash in the first song jack pot for around 20m, not a bad way to start.

Hell's Bells is also high scoring, but a lot more difficult to get into that bell saucer than it is to start the other 2 hell modes.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Do you now HAVE the AC/DC? If so, that's the one to keep...

Ditto. AC/DC Premium > Avengers LE

#26 6 years ago

Long term ,Hulk should be a better hold. Played many times, passed twice on ACDC, even at the great prices at the time when offered.

#27 6 years ago

I own both. For me the HULK rules big time. ACDC is a lot off fun but I play about 90% on the HULK. The price is less important for the moment, they are both long time keepers.

#28 6 years ago

I think his stated plan is the correct one.....yes?

#29 6 years ago

I own neither.

AC/DC by a long mile IMHO. AC/DC is a great game with a great set of rules. I think it will become one of Stern's best selling games.

I have tried, but I just can't show the love for Avengers.

#30 6 years ago

Nothing wrong with keeping ACDC. I'm so glad I have it. Loving the rules!

I will say, that Lyman Sheats is the SHEAT(!!!) when it comes to rules. Love Keith too (played him head to head in a grouping a Pinburgh!)...but Lyman's stuff lately is just incredible. And the way he keeps going and going with his development of the game. Three cheers to Lyman!

#31 6 years ago

Lyman's girlfriend is also totally cool. And a great pinball player too! She handed my butt to me more than once in the NYPL.

#32 6 years ago

...and at Pinball too!

#33 6 years ago

For me:

Even if the ACDC Premium for Hulk trade were straight up, I would not trade my AC/DC Premium for a Hulk.

For some, the trade might work.

#34 6 years ago

I don't know of anyone who has a AC/DC premium where that trade would even be considered.

#35 6 years ago

It's a fair trade. LE for a common title? Come on.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't know of anyone who has a AC/DC premium where that trade would even be considered.

You never know who will trade what for what. Years ago I traded a beautiful HUO TSPP (I was first owner) for a HUO IM with 25 plays. It was one of the best decisions I ever made, but at the time some people thought I was nuts (some probably still do-LOL)

#37 6 years ago

ACDC is the perfect game in a 1pin lineup. You can play it for points, to progress through songs, or for fun. But if your already thinking of trading/selling, maybe it's not the game for you?

ACDC is the type of game you can hit start and make shots right off the bat. It's frustrating point comes with how easy and cheap some ball drains can be (I think I need to tighten my outlanes to be fair). Avengers takes time and patience. It's frustrations come when you can't hit a shot. Avengers also takes a lot of tweaking and tuning because its more complex. Mods exist to shut up the naysayers about certain aspects of the design or quality.

That all said; I'm personally drawn to avengers more, but the reality is ACDC is far superior for the reasons I stated. Easy to learn (hard to master); little tuning required.

And for people who think there's no strategy in AV ruleset, LOL. This is another topic in itself, but in short; the 100mil bonuses you read about don't grow on trees. Don't collect a single avenger too early, collect as many as you can on one ball and watch the scoring magic happen. Mb's should be used very wisely with how the board is playing out. I bet most people that dont like AV cant even light up half the board. It's a hard game which is its downfall in the popularity dept.

SKB

#38 6 years ago

I own both. Avengers is a hard pin and I think that's why it isn't popular except with its owners who have put time into it.

#39 6 years ago

nothing to do with hardness. Challenging games are nice. But if they play like ass, clunky, ball gets stuck a lot, things don't catch the ball that should and a snowball of other design flaws. It's going to suck and not get much love.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nothing to do with hardness. Challenging games are nice. But if they play like ass, clunky, ball gets stuck a lot, things don't catch the ball that should and a snowball of other design flaws. It's going to suck and not get much love.

Like TFLE?

Avengers has issues, but it's a much smoother, interesting & better playing game than TF...IMO.

#41 6 years ago

Any game is clunky if you do not make you shots. Although ac/dc pro may me the minority on that, if you miss you shot it will bounce of a target faster then you can flip and you ball is over!

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

But if they play like ass, clunky, ball gets stuck a lot, things don't catch the ball that should and a snowball of other design flaws.

I really don't like the way the ball returns from the pops. That's I think the biggest issue for me on that game.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It's a fair trade. LE for a common title? Come on.

It's all relative. TZ is common but I don't think anyone would trade one for my Avatar LE lol

#44 6 years ago

I will not feed trolls, I will not feed trolls.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Like TFLE?
Avengers has issues, but it's a much smoother, interesting & better playing game than TF...IMO.

It wishes. My ball never gets stuck on TF. Shots are smooth. Saucer work 100x's better than Avengers does. Toy works 15X's better than that clusterass up by hulk. Played several different hulks, and as soon as the ball flies up and goes behind his left (player perspective) arm. You can forget about getting it back, as the ball search works half ass. Seen several games where they were having double ball issues already. rules are boring and uneventful. Shoot this 4 times, shoot this 4 times. Sound familiar? 5th grade rule set.

#46 6 years ago

I would not trade my ACDC for avengers, however avengers is a fun great looking game, but IMO ACDC is in another class. Just my 2 cents.

#47 6 years ago

Captain! Rare! Can't we just agree to disagree?

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It wishes. My ball never gets stuck on TF. Shots are smooth. Saucer work 100x's better than Avengers does. Toy works 15X's better than that clusterass up by hulk. Played several different hulks, and as soon as the ball flies up and goes behind his left (player perspective) arm. You can forget about getting it back, as the ball search works half ass. Seen several games where they were having double ball issues already. rules are boring and uneventful. Shoot this 4 times, shoot this 4 times. Sound familiar? 5th grade rule set.

Yeah, sounds just like TF LOL

Quoted from spfxted:

Captain! Rare! Can't we just agree to disagree?

Hey, we agree that AC/DC rules this fight.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Shoot this 4 times, shoot this 4 times. Sound familiar?

Umm....sounds like TF to me...seriously.

Saucer in TF is a ton better but argument there.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey, we agree that AC/DC rules this fight.

That's a start...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 248.85
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside