(Topic ID: 24591)

Opinions please: WPT, I'm looking to buy...

By Whizzer

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by R4840
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WPT_New_Trans_Cropped.jpg
#1 11 years ago

there's a HUO WPT that I'm interested in buying but I haven't played it much. I would like opinions of those of you that have, how does it play and does it have staying power in a collection such as I have. Thanks for any opinions.

#2 11 years ago

Wow! Nice collection! However, I don't have a fair judgement of WPT. The one I played is on route and functioning poorly.

#3 11 years ago

It a very long ball time game. to progress far in the game it will be a long game. Kinda like LOTR from your collection. I love it but it had to grow on me, at first i thought it was way too slow, and still do if i want to play a quick game. But for some nice long games that you feel like you actually had to progress it is great.

#4 11 years ago

I like the theme, artwork was ok, but, unfortunatly everything else was terrible. I tried to like it, several times. The music, the callouts, the stop and go play was like waiting for a bus.

Rather play real poker with real cards. Seriously, that bad imo. Doesn't translate to pinball very well.

Maybe a better lateral move would be who dunnit.

Although, I think you have enough stop and go games (5 out of 7). Need something faster to put in the mix imo. Ex; IM, Tron, BSD, maybe a couple fast flowing sys 11 combo (hs/f-14). mix it up

#5 11 years ago

Probably one of my favorite Sterns....although SM has passed it on the depth chart. Disable the left ramp plunger and most of the stops go away.

One of the few games that have a pretty deep rule set...but yet straight forward.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

One of the few games that have a pretty deep rule set...but yet straight forward.

That's a good way to describe it (except I think it has one of the deepest rulesets), it's just plain
easy to figure out what you're doing. Yet it still has plenty of great strategy to think about while
playing.

You have to enjoy drop targets obviously to enjoy this game. It's kind of a hybrid between an
old EM with all the drop targets and newer games with ramps and DMDs.

Having said all those great things about WPT it is unfortunately extremely hard on the eyes. The
art work is just plain horrible imo.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Whizzer:

there's a HUO WPT that I'm interested in buying but I haven't played it much. I would like opinions of those of you that have, how does it play and does it have staying power in a collection such as I have. Thanks for any opinions.

I must be an oddball but I really like it. Long shots (deep into the playfield), love the two ramps, disable the posts as others have said and it flows great, and I love the way you can hit all three drop target banks in one shot. I actually like the sounds a lot when the drop targets fall and during multiballs. The voices don't bother me and actually help you know what's in your poker hand. Feels like a SR game to me with nice KJ rules. I made a different translite and it makes the whole game look better. For about $2k for a nice condition one, I think it's a great deal. And it's nice and open on the playfield which gives nice variety from my TSPP and other games which are packed with stuff. Metal ramps feel solid. Maybe I just s#ck but I have a lot more quick games than long ones. Sure, there are some 15-minute+ games but not for me very often. My LOTR and TSPP definitely feel like longer-playing game times than WPT most of the time. I say "get one".

Ned

#8 11 years ago

I do not care for it. I love poker of all kinds. The game is slow and most shots are not satisfying to me. There is alot of rattling back and forth and not much real flow. That said if it is cheap and at the right price who knows maybe you will like it. It is not for me for sure but some like it.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

It a very long ball time game.

Not necessarily. Set up properly, it's a good tournament game. Mine was used at the CAX tournament a couple of years ago. At home, I keep it steeper than factory with medium outlanes.

For what it goes for, it's a steal. Cheapest SAM Stern. Keith tightened up the software nicely in later revisions. Factory translite is spectacular, just so long as it's signed by Steve Ritchie. As mentioned, disable the left return ramp post and you're good to go.

Quoted from chill:

Long shots deep into the playfield...

The Cut the Cards (mystery) shot is probably the longest non-ramp shot on a modern pin. It goes behind the backboard. The stainless ramps look and play awesome.

#10 11 years ago

That woman on the backglass looks like a ghoulish man. Seeing her makes me cringe, especially when you hear her talk like she's a sexy lady during gameplay. Also, the game plays pretty bad. Strange standup way down and to the left to light your lock, and during multiball drop target poker doesn't progress. Drops are pretty fun, upper playfield is ugly in my opinion. I would not own that machine if I was a billionaire.

#11 11 years ago

I've owned it and I absolutely loved it. I wrote a review here. http://bangback.ca/world-poker-tour-review/ Check it out if you like.

Tl;DR - It has great strategy and is super, super deep. For the price you literally can't beat it. I got mine HUO with very low plays for $1900.

#12 11 years ago

Way too stop and go. I'm a huge poker fan/player and I still couldn't do it. I had high hopes the first time I played one and those hopes we're crushed. Very open/boring PF and way too many drop targets... Just my opinion. But if you dig it, go for it!

#13 11 years ago

Replace the original translite with a different one.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Way too stop and go. I'm a huge poker fan/player and I still couldn't do it. I had high hopes the first time I played one and those hopes we're crushed. Very open/boring PF and way too many drop targets... Just my opinion. But if you dig it, go for it!

Stop and go is only if you don't make the two adjustments (removing back gate, disabling right ramp post). You make those two adjustments and the only things that stop the game are the mystery shot and the mode hole. The left loop, right loop, left ramp, and right ramp all flow then, making it a very fast game.

#15 11 years ago

Game is intense and definitely not boring for sure. This game suffers because the rules seem obvious but they're not. Hurry ups on the upper playfield are very important. Orbit mulitball shots (side pots) very important. Collecting all the poker hands (drop targets). Complete all 6 different modes after you complete a hand for a wizard mode . Setting up a river shot with a turn shot up the left ramp hitting the lit 3x score on the inlane for a 5m point full house while completing a city for 4.5m. I keep the flow on the ramps except for hand completions and mulitball jackpots. Relocking an ace in the hole during AITH multiball is not an easy task and quite intense. Game is WAY underrated. Artwork is not spooky or cartoony I believe it's meant to be like a watercolor portrait. Maybe not popular but still misunderstood. Game has a great light show when LED's are installed and left lock to upper playfield is a tough shot. All that with a HUGE open playfield with 16 drop targets!

Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

I like the theme, artwork was ok, but, unfortunatly everything else was terrible. I tried to like it, several times. The music, the callouts, the stop and go play was like waiting for a bus.
Rather play real poker with real cards. Seriously, that bad imo. Doesn't translate to pinball very well.

Really? Do you feel like you're on the grid playing Tron? Do you feel like you're in middle earth when plating LOTR? Now that you mentioned it I do really feel like I have bait on my hands after playing FT. And on the rare occasion I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone when playing TZ

#16 11 years ago

I picked one up a couple of months ago, and have to say that it has grown on me. I think the flow is fine once the machine is dialed in it plays great. I do think the upper plastic playfield could use some graphics on it, maybe will have to fire up photoshop and add some.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-please-wpt-im-looking-to-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.