Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a51c8fb0167fa903356e21a32b189d78 (resized).jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

I'm in the "foolishly try to listen to all of them" camp, so I would say any pinball podcast is worth a try.

That said, my favorite is and probably always will be The Slam Tilt Podcast. (Of course, I might be a TEENSY bit biased on this, but Ron and Bruce have great chemistry and cover a diverse range of content - news, competition, repairs, etc. They get some great guests, too. Episodes are medium to long in duration.)

I also like The Pinball Players Podcast and Pinball Profile as mid-duration podcasts. Head2Head is longer but quite funny.

...Ah, hell, what am I saying. I like 'em all, pretty much. Just too lazy to list them all. There's an official podcast thread on Pinside. Go there and pick a few that look like they fit your tastes and time constraints. You probably won't go wrong.

#52 6 years ago

The Topcast episodes with Tim Allen & the one with Python DeAngelo were super

#53 6 years ago

The lurkiest lurker. Then some cryptic bullshit. Then rage quit. Then some lurky lurking.

Guess who.

#54 6 years ago

I've tried a few other podcasts, but don't remember which ones. I only listen to Kaneda's podcast now because it's entertaining, timely, topical and a quick listen. I already read Pinside daily so I'm not interested in listening to MORE pinball podcasts. There's only so much pinball "news" to report, so I'll listen to the podcast that reports it and also entertains me.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

You see, that's me being honest and you being easily tricked. You have no idea what the owners of Spooky are thinking because they "hide" their true opinions from the public.
    That's smart and I will admit I am dumb. But that's me and if you are "tricked" by their lack of public open-ness well, that's up to you.
    Some need to look past the person and look at the bigger picture.
    Thanks for your honest post - I do appreciate honesty, but, as you clearly state, it IS NOT always the best policy.
    Had I just shut up and "towed the line" you and many others would be none the wiser - is that REALLY better??? Please ask yourself that.

Quite frankly, it’s not the opinions of podcasts and their lack of coverage... but it’s your attitude and behavior on this forum... not to mention some of the ethics involved with the board set issue. That’s the problem... and that’s why homepin doesn’t ping on my radar.

Your behavior and full on rage/quit tantrum you threw months ago shows little in the way common sense - there’s no way I’d sink $6-$7k into a product from a company run by someone showing such little class or thoughtfulness in their public behavior.

You’re the leader of the homepin ship and I have super iffy confidence you’ll make the right decisions to get that company healthy for longevity and proper product support. Look no further than the games shipped by Heighway and Dutch.... like it or not, but there’s a decent chance those owners are going to be sitting on games that lack support and parts.

Just being honest.

#56 6 years ago

As for podcasts:
    Head 2 Head is my clear favorite. Those guys are hysterical. Secondarily, Slam Tilt and This Flipping Podcast are great listens. They are equally good - really enjoy Tommy and Taylor’s banter. I also listen to Kaneda’s, but have a love/hate with it (its pretty repetitive and his actions rarely align with his passionate opinions).
    Long time favorites Pinheadz and Coast to Coast are unfortunately dormant and looking like they are closed for business.
    Bro/Talk Pinball has good production value... but they are super sponsor heavy with close ties to JJP. Their opinions - especially when it comes to JJP games come across as influenced to my ears. Other game opinions have too much of a tournament player slant for my liking.
    Definitely listen to the old TopCast and Coast 2 Coast and Silverball podcast. One of the beauties of C2C was its initial simplicity. It was just a collector exploring the hobby, sprinkling in stories about his travels and passion for finding location pinball. A+ stuff

Added over 6 years ago: A shout-out to Bro/Pinball guys. Bottomline, they produce an insane amount of content and are huge supporters of the pinball community. Hats off to them for the sheer amount of time they spend supporting the hobby. KevInBuffalo and I discussed my comment (above) and he's a standup guy... we need MORE folks like him in the hobby. Please don't take my comment as implying either of the Bro crew are renegade shills... certainly not the case. As he points out, they are up front and open about any relationships they have, and they carefully associate themselves with industry players that they'd happily support regardless. Hard to disagree with the players they like!

#57 6 years ago

Listened to a bunch. Pinball Players Podcast is by far my favorite.

#58 6 years ago

My top three are Kaneda, H2H, and Spooky. SDTM would be #1, but I watch the youtube instead. Much more fun to see Zach and Greg's interaction. They may go long, but I need H2H's fun to balance out the negative that Kaneda sometimes leaves me with. The H2H and SDTM guys just seem to have so much fun when they talk and pump me up to play some games.

#59 6 years ago

I gotta feeling this thread will end up on a podcast for discussion. Hi Kaneda.

#60 6 years ago

99% Invisible is my favorite Podcast. Pinball or not, it’s just fantastic.

#61 6 years ago

Kaneda Podcast, of course....but only when I'm on it....

#62 6 years ago

I listen to & appreciate others but my top 3 are:

Bro, Do you Even Talk Pinball?
    This Flippin' Podcast
    Coast 2 Coast--when updated

Personally enjoy the collecting, new game talk, & game reviews the most vs competitive aspects.

#63 6 years ago

Kaneda is the best, pinball profile is good too.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

The lurkiest lurker. Then some cryptic bullshit. Then rage quit. Then some lurky lurking.
    Guess who.

Must be nice to rage quit, go inactive, but keep popping up whenever you feel like it.

#65 6 years ago

That wack a mole that has been banned from three forums, he is super funny to listen to.
    Episode 30 of head2head that makes fun of him had me in tears. Of course I don't think any of them tell you anything that is not posted and talked about on pinside first.

Bro do you even pinball and slam tilt gives some good reviews and some news of tournaments and up coming events.

The best podcasts are ANY with guests as you get to see what opinions others have and a glimpse into their love for pinball.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I actually don't know what you are talking about regarding AA. I have no interest in AA politics or pinside politics.
    Anyways my point is that we say whatever we want to say. We just don't find a lot of things as interesting as others and don't want or feel the need to talk about them. Would you rather have a laugh of get angry about something?

Quoted from pinsanity:

PS: I did find out via Kaneda's latest podcast that Homepin has recently parted ways with the local forum. Whether it is genuine this time around or simply strategic window dressing remains to be seen but at least it is a step in the right direction.

Like I said, circumstances and power dynamics have recently changed and we are already seeing longstanding issues manifest themselves in this very thread that wouldn't have been dared verbalised even a week ago.

I am a glass is half full type of person as well and personally I think this may be a positive and a potential precursor for change for the better. Time will only tell whether the bridges ultimately want to be repaired or burned.

a51c8fb0167fa903356e21a32b189d78 (resized).jpga51c8fb0167fa903356e21a32b189d78 (resized).jpg

#67 6 years ago

My go to's for drives to work and back and in the shed are:
    This Flippin Podcast
    Head2Head
    Kaneda
    Bro do you pinball
    Slam Tilt
    Tilt Thru

My go to's for talking the dog for a walk:
    Pinball Profile

bummed that the following aren't as regular as both really good:
    C2C
    PinheadZ

each podcast covers different things and does in different ways and love the ones with a bit of a banter and laughs along the way

#68 6 years ago

I see mike is working hard to get kicked off this forum as well

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I see mike is working hard to get kicked off this forum as well

Well, the guy has to do something constructive when he’s not tinkering with his pinball machine

#70 6 years ago

Surprised no one mentioned Gameroom Junkies. Preston and Patrick have fantastic chemistry and avoid the self-indulgence that plagues many multi-host podcasts.

Sad to hear that that podcast is ending.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Bro/Talk Pinball has good production value... but they are super sponsor heavy with close ties to JJP. Their opinions - especially when it comes to JJP games come across as influenced to my ears. Other game opinions have too much of a tournament player slant for my liking.

Appreciate your thoughts. I know we are pretty into JJP (and I find myself thinking -- am I gushing about Dialed In too much??) but that's the same reason we're happy to have them as a sponsor -- we only have sponsors who we truly believe in and support. That said, I feel we're transparent about it and have made a point to never officially review a JJP game since they're a sponsor as well. It wouldn't be fair to our listeners to do that.

I can honestly say that even without the JJP sponsorship I'd still be praising the hell out of Dialed In

The tournament player slant: Guilty as charged! That's just who we are.

Thanks for listening!
    -Kevin

#72 6 years ago

I like your show a lot but any time you guys talk anything JJP you really couldn't pour it on any thicker.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

I like your show a lot but any time you guys talk anything JJP you really couldn't pour it on any thicker.

I'll try to keep it in check haha

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

"towed the line"

The grammar nazi needs a refresher course in idiomatic expressions? There's no W in 'toed the line'. How does it feel to be told you can't spell on the internet?

Misspelling as "tow the line"
    "Toe the line" is often misspelled "tow [you even spelled that wrong!] the line", substituting a familiar verb "tow" for the homophonic but unfamiliar verbal use of "toe." "Tow" does not accord with any of the proposed etymologies, so "tow the line" is a linguistic eggcorn[citation needed].

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line

#75 6 years ago

You can pick your nose and pick your friends just don't pick this Grammer Nazi as your friend or go picking his nose.

#76 6 years ago

What did you say about my ingrish....

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from DJKYrtgfsRFw:

The grammar nazi needs a refresher course in idiomatic expressions? There's no W in 'toed the line'. How does it feel to be told you can't spell on the internet?
    Misspelling as "tow the line"
    "Toe the line" is often misspelled "tow [you even spelled that wrong!] the line", substituting a familiar verb "tow" for the homophonic but unfamiliar verbal use of "toe." "Tow" does not accord with any of the proposed etymologies, so "tow the line" is a linguistic eggcorn[citation needed].
    -

Hi Reuben... i thought i would play your trick - sign in under a different user name. What didn't you post as pinsanity, your regular username???

Ohh, its like on Aussie Arcade - the forum you despise so much, yet have posted under multiple personality/user names eg: Lexicon, falkenell, barbarossa.....

As an aside - i also picked up the grammatical error!

#79 6 years ago

^Behold pinsiders, the brains trust collective of the local forum. LOL.

Now I have a very long day and flight ahead of me but thanks to the intelligent responses in this thread I now have hours of previously unknown podcasts to listen to and while away the time.

See you normal guys and gals on the other side of the antipode soon and thanks to the pinside mod for being on the ball with the butterfly net.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

I have never listened to podcasts before. I just downloaded an app to listen to them. I'm looking for advice on which ones to listen to regarding pinball. So, what podcasts do you recommend?

Solarvalue's list (already linked) is a great resource, but since you asked, here are the ones I currently subscribe to on my phone. I'll include some comments on each.

BlahCade Podcast: Mostly virtual, but they do talk physical pinball as well.

Bro, do you even talk pinball?: Good summary of major pinball news items.

Coast 2 Coast Pinball: Relatively inactive now but a large archive of past content. Good format.

Flippin and Mashing: Newer. Mixed gaming (also does video games and arcades), but the pinball discussions have been fun also.

For Amusement Only EM and Bingo Pinball Podcast: Heaviest on bingos and flipperless, but if you are interested in the EM era at all I think it's your best option to learn about those games.

Head2Head Pinball: Funniest in my opinion, weekly and so stays up on all the news and a good host dynamic. Focus on the Australian scene.

The Pinball Players Podcast: Solo host but often has guests on. Good summation of pinball happenings in terms of big shows/tournaments.

Pinball Profile: Shortest episodes of any I subscribe to, this is focused on interviews of those involved in pinball (heavily on tournament discussion, but other interviews happen as well).

Pinheadz Pinball PODcast: Another Australian show. Was a monthly but perhaps better considered quarterly at this point. Best production values of any pinball podcast EVER. The show format is really good for their long style.

The Pinball Podcast: While the topics are often driven by the news (or tournaments), I think this show tends to go more into discussing broad concepts tying to pinball rather than focusing so much on specific current events.

Skill Shot Pincast: Lots of interviews and Seattle-scene pinball discussion.

Straight Down The Middle: A Pinball Show: I think of pinball reviews the most when I think of this show, but they'll deep-discuss anything (well, anything pinball!).

The Slam Tilt Podcast: Good weekly source of news, pretty funny, good host interaction (with each other and the listening base). Lots of guest hosts.

The Spinner is Lit Pinball Podcast: Passionate hosts, seem to focus a lot on broad news summaries and pinball shows. Area-specific stuff is California-oriented.

This Flippin' Podcast: Great host dynamic, pretty deep discussions of various pinball topics driven by the news. Some tournament and show talk, it's just a big mix of pinball subjects. Long format.

TILT THRU: Competitive pinball podcast, great host interaction. Needs to come out more.

Obviously I have to subscribe to my own (Eclectic Gamers Podcast) as well to be sure the RSS works, but I'm not really keen to self-promote. My above list is a solid place to start. There are many others, some I've never tried (I listen to non-pinball podcasts also and I must balance my commute time and such with how many of these I can actively keep up with).

I saw on this thread some discussion about podcasts that "tell it like it is" (to paraphrase). Most I'm aware of do this, but how much any podcast covers a topic (be it benign or controversial) really depends more on personality. I can only think of a couple shows I ever thought the hosts were shilling in a masked way. A few have sponsors and that is always made clear.

There is not a single go-to source of The Truth that I recommend; if it's in my list I think it's good, it's that simple.

1 week later
    #81 6 years ago

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I love Jeff. The other guy; the only thing he talks about anymore is how much BM66 is the greatest game ever. Can't stand his BM66 rants anymore.
    Head2Head, my #1 for entertainment value and news
    Slam Tilt
    Pinball Players Podcast
    Pinball Profile
    Spooky
    Coast2Coast, whenever Nate uploads them
    And just recently Tilt Thru with Jack Danger, Bowen Kerins, and Zoe Vrabel.

That's my list as well - full of pinball-knowledgable hosts who have an eye to keeping it fun, not looking to invent rumours and pump up negative drama for drama's sake.

1 week later
    #83 6 years ago

I just started listening to Kaneda's Pinball Podcast because a fellow pinsider, and buddy, told me about this dude. He's hilarious and has some good knowledge, notice I said "good"! I think it's entirely too funny that he is banned from this site. How and why would you ban someone from a forum? He's not Jared from Subway, that we know of. He shouldn't have to suffer another day without being a pinsider. Let the dude rant and have his opinions, a little insecurity and a few insults never hurt anyone. End the suffering, invite him back.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballology:

I just started listening to Kaneda's Pinball Podcast because a fellow pinsider, and buddy, told me about this dude. He's hilarious and has some good knowledge, notice I said "good"! I think it's entirely too funny that he is banned from this site. How and why would you ban someone from a forum? He's not Jared from Subway, that we know of. He shouldn't have to suffer another day without being a pinsider. Let the dude rant and have his opinions, a little insecurity and a few insults never hurt anyone. End the suffering, invite him back.

you may want to research the whole history. There is very good reason why he is not around here.

Between taking advantage of teenage kid on an arcade game deal gone bad, duplicate accounts, constant BS, some of the very personal stuff he said to attack the founder of Pinside, etc... there is good reason.

Heck, just this past week he sent me an email out of the blue threatening to violence. After I called him out on the threat of physical crap, then he played it off as a joke saying he was going to just put me in a head lock and film it. Guy has a few screws loose in a creepy kind of way. He seems to think this is high school in the pinball world.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Between taking advantage of teenage kid on an arcade game deal gone bad, duplicate accounts, constant BS, some of the very personal stuff he said to attack the founder of Pinside, etc... there is good reason.

He also constantly puts deposits down with every distributor for limited editions (sometimes multiples) with very little intent on actually keeping (or sometimes not even taking delivery) of the game all in the name of profit. I'm surprised he hasn't burned all his bridges by now.

#86 6 years ago

There are many more, but this is how I have archived them by discovery (chronologically finding them).

01 - RGP Radio
    02 - Talk Pinball
    03 - TOPcast
    04 - The Silverball Podcasts
    05 - Spooky Pinball Podcast
    06 - Arcade Repair Tips
    07 - Gameroom Junkies
    08 - The Pinball Podcasts
    09 - PinBull
    10 - Roundup
    11 - Coast 2 Coast
    12 - For Amusement Only
    13 - Pinheadz PODcast
    14 - One and Done Pinball Podcast
    15 - Lock is Lit Podcast
    16 - Dead Flip Pinball Podcast
    17 - Broken Token
    18 - The Coin Box
    19 - Pinball Soul
    20 - Skill Shot Podcast
    21 - Kaneda Pinball
    22 - This Flippin' Podcast
    23 - Boom Go Pinball Podcast
    24 - Skill Shot Podcast
    25 - The Canadian Pinball Podcast
    26 - Slam Tilt Podcast
    99 - Gave Up Pinball Podcast (TBD).

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballology:

How and why would you ban someone from a forum?

He was a non stop troll and broke about every forum rule in the book over and over and over again. This site is a better place without him. He’s good at podcasting. It needs to stay there.

#88 6 years ago

Stay away from the spinner is lit.
    That Spencer guy has a screw loose.

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Stay away from the spinner is lit.
    That Spencer guy has a screw loose.

Quoted from alveolus:

Surprised no one mentioned Gameroom Junkies. Preston and Patrick have fantastic chemistry and avoid the self-indulgence that plagues many multi-host podcasts.
    Sad to hear that that podcast is ending.

I loved this podcast. +1 for the chemistry.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-what-podcasts-to-listen-to/page/2?hl=djkyrtgfsrfw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.