Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a51c8fb0167fa903356e21a32b189d78 (resized).jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I have never listened to podcasts before. I just downloaded an app to listen to them. I'm looking for advice on which ones to listen to regarding pinball. So, what podcasts do you recommend?

Note: please do not let this digress into an argument with over which show is best. Everyone has an opinion, lets respect that.

#4 6 years ago

I had seen the list posted and probably will eventually try to check each one of them out. For now, I was looking for more of a recommended list than an overall list to get me started.

#6 6 years ago

Pinball profile
    Kanada Pinball podcast

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

I was looking for more of a recommended list than an overall list to get me started.

If you are interested in going back and listening to old podcasts from the beginning I would recommend to start with these 2:
    Topcast (must-listen historical podcast with many amazing interviews)
    Coast2Coast (fun shorter-format podcast)

My personal pick of the current podcasts for news:
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast

#8 6 years ago

The winner of the recent TWIPY awards for best podcast.....

#9 6 years ago

If you want to dip your toe in with more bite sized chunks:
    Pinball Profile
    Kaneda

If you want 3 hour marathons:
    This Flippin' Podcast
    Head 2 Head

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Pinball profile
    Kanada Pinball podcast

I love Jeff. The other guy; the only thing he talks about anymore is how much BM66 is the greatest game ever. Can't stand his BM66 rants anymore.

Head2Head, my #1 for entertainment value and news
    Slam Tilt
    Pinball Players Podcast
    Pinball Profile
    Spooky
    Coast2Coast, whenever Nate uploads them
    And just recently Tilt Thru with Jack Danger, Bowen Kerins, and Zoe Vrabel.

#11 6 years ago

Kanada is all pinball news mixed with good interviews and no competition talk. Theres a reason he won the twipy. Hes very good at it.

#12 6 years ago

It's impossibly to create a pinball podcast for everyone.

As much as some people hate tournament talk, some tournament guys HATE new in box drama, and talking about all the failed pinball start ups all the time.
    I guess thats why Coast 2 Coast split up his podcast into 2 different ones.
    We are too lazy to do that, but there is always an index of what we talk about and you can skip over any section.

Also, long podcasts look daunting...but if they come out every week or once every 2 weeks.... its actually shorter than having 3~4 x 45 minute podcasts a week.

Have a listen to a couple and see which one gels with you!

#13 6 years ago

Each podcast has it's merits. It comes down to length for me usually. On the way to work I enjoy the shorter ones. On road trips (or multi-state pin pickups) I enjoy the marathon-esque 3 hour ones.

Kaneda, Pinball Profile, Head2Head and Slam Tilt are probably my favs.

#14 6 years ago

Head2Head is the one I look forward to the most...even though I'm usually not as into the 3 hour shows. They do a great job of focusing on specific topics, and the two of them have great chemistry.

Pinball Players Podcast and Pinball Profile are next on my list.

#15 6 years ago

Little Kings is one of my favorites.

#16 6 years ago

Sdtm and Kaneda are my 2 favorites

#17 6 years ago

Coast 2 Coast before it went tourney talk was my favorite. Lots of fact,observations and well thought out commentary. I don't like slam-casts, drama-casts, or tourney casts. Needless to say, I am at a loss for pinball podcasts as of late.

#19 6 years ago

No one said you have to force yourself through long podcasts in one sitting so no idea why I keep hearing people complain about them. Head 2 Head is great for their positive and fun attitude and happy to listen to them 30min at a time here and there during the week.

#20 6 years ago

Kanada and Head 2 Head are the ones that I’d recommend with some Pinball Profile sprinkled in for flavor.

#21 6 years ago

Kaneda
    SDTM
    Head 2 head

#22 6 years ago

My go to podcasts:
    Kaneda
    SDTM
    Bro do you even talk pinball

#23 6 years ago

I like listening to and watching the SDTM guys. Zach and Greg work great together and it’s entertaining and informative.

#24 6 years ago

I can't believe so many like Special K so much. I listen it because I need a lot of hours of pinball content to get me through the day. I find so much of it to be inaccurate or contradicting. Way too much drama. Interviews and some other parts are interesting. I like Spooky, H2H, C2C and Pinball Profiles the most.

#25 6 years ago

Don't forget that podcasts are archived, so if you find one you like, you can work your way through every past episode they have done.

#26 6 years ago

Being a California commuter. Here's my go to list:

-Head2Head pinball podcast
    -Kaneda
    -Buffalo Crew (Bro do you even pinball)
    -SDTM

Some others I'll listen to from time to time
    -This flippin podcast
    -Slam Tilt

#27 6 years ago

I'll throw my vote in for http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ epidode 10 to 100.

#28 6 years ago

These are my favs,
    Slam tilt-Bevis and Butthead rule.
    Kaneda-Special K rocks
    Head2Head-Ozzie,ozzie,ozzie,oi,oi,oi
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast- Dennis s the best stats man in the pin biz.
    Topcast-Shaggy rocks the old school dudes.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I can't believe so many like Special K so much. I listen it because I need a lot of hours of pinball content to get me through the day. I find so much of it to be inaccurate or contradicting. Way too much drama. Interviews and some other parts are interesting. I like Spooky, H2H, C2C and Pinball Profiles the most.

No commercial bias, no being muzzled by forum politics or bullshit purple circle based hierarchies. Just raw unfettered opinion on any and all aspects of the pinball scene without fear or favour.

I listen to Pinball Profile or read TWIP when I just want the facts and our local podcasts here in Australia (kudos to them) do their absolute best to keep it as light entertainment whilst being simultaneously constrained in what they can talk about due to entrenched local issues.

The fact that being able to speak one's mind on a relevant pinball issue or bring it to the attention of the community is becoming such a rarity in a hobby that is becoming more and more dominated by dedicated company shills masquerading as casual impartial observers that it makes Kaneda's show such an attractive platform and the listening numbers speak for themselves.

Quoted from MrBally:

The winner of the recent TWIPY awards for best podcast.....

Hear hear.

#30 6 years ago

Have to go for the local boys Head to Head all the way

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

whilst being simultaneously constrained in what they can talk about due to entrenched local issues

I've seen you post this multiple times before. It's disappointing. There are many types of people in life. Im not attracted to drama. I don't like generating drama. To me drama is cancer. Some people feed off drama... That's fine. I know you want us to throw homepin under the bus every episode but we made a choice not to talk about him anymore due to what he said. That's enough for us. We talked about the issue and how disappointed we where and that's it. If you think we need to bring it up every single podcast then don't you think maybe that's biased in the other direction? What's the motive? Don't you think there is something to say about Kaneda asking Homepin to come on the show for a year and then him coming on ours instead? What do you think that did to his motivations towards reporting news on homepin? Come on you are smarter than that.

Quoted from pinsanity:

listening numbers speak for themselves.

His numbers are good, other podcasts have a larger listener base. They just don't have them public because they aren't on sound cloud and it's probably a little tacky.
    If I show you that we get over 500 listeners more per episodes after just half a year does that mean we are better? Obviously to some that want to win a popularity contest.

There you go you laid out the bait and I took it.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I've seen you post this multiple times before. It's disappointing. There are many types of people in life. Im not attracted to drama. I don't like generating drama. To me drama is cancer. Some people feed off drama... That's fine. I know you want us to throw homepin under the bus every episode but we made a choice not to talk about him anymore due to what he said. That's enough for us. We talked about the issue and how disappointed we where and that's it. If you think we need to bring it up every single podcast then don't you think maybe that's biased in the other direction? What's the motive? Don't you think there is something to say about Kaneda asking Homepin to come on the show for a year and then him coming on ours instead? What do you think that did to his motivations towards reporting news on homepin? Come on you are smarter than that.

His numbers are good, other podcasts have a larger listener base. They just don't have them public because they aren't on sound cloud and it's probably a little tacky.
    If I show you that we get over 500 listeners more per episodes after just half a year does that mean we are better? Obviously to some that want to win a popularity contest.
    There you go you laid out the bait and I took it.

I think you would have a much better grasp of the broader intent of my post if you re-read and quoted it in toto rather than cherry picking half sentences. How can you bait someone and offer kudos to them at the same time?

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but people have to be held to account after being virtually put up on a pedestal and never having their feet held to the fire for so long (hence no Kaneda interview). The only part I would add as a mild criticism in hindsight, is that there should have been proper closure to the issue rather than simply washing one's hands of it but we both know what the consequences of that would have been on a local forum level for you guys. And I know you are smarter than that to pretend you don't know what I am talking about.

The vibe I am getting from recent comparable podcasts between H2H and K is that there seems to be a bit of underlying argy bargy going on between the two of you. Perhaps that might be the cause of the reactive misinterpretation of my post? In any event there is no malice on my part towards the local podcasts. Hell, they are one of the few pinball media avenues down here not yet corrupted with commercial interest influence so no way I want either H2H or the Canberra guys to pull up stumps.

PS: I did find out via Kaneda's latest podcast that Homepin has recently parted ways with the local forum. Whether it is genuine this time around or simply strategic window dressing remains to be seen but at least it is a step in the right direction.

#33 6 years ago

Not sure what the closure would be like? The closure is that we don't really talk about homepin anymore. What else is there to say?
    I hope people get their game, and I hope the game is what they wanted it to be. I don't for one minute wish that any single manufacturer fails.

I actually don't know what you are talking about regarding AA. I have no interest in AA politics or pinside politics.

Anyways my point is that we say whatever we want to say. We just don't find a lot of things as interesting as others and don't want or feel the need to talk about them. Would you rather have a laugh of get angry about something?

And yes, the laugh is real. Martin might be a drunk c*nt but he knows how to have fun and isn't a miserable c*nt! Peace!

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

I have never listened to podcasts before. I just downloaded an app to listen to them. I'm looking for advice on which ones to listen to regarding pinball. So, what podcasts do you recommend?
    Note: please do not let this digress into an argument with over which show is best. Everyone has an opinion, lets respect that.

Well don't take my advice then... Of the pinball/arcade podcasts that are still active, I listen to 22 of them (I know, ridiculous, right?). To me it's like reading a book, when I start one I have to finish it. Even if I don't care for everything a particular podcast has to offer at first, they end up growing on me... Now I do have 70 minute commute each way to work every day so I only get a little bit behind every now and then. I also listen at 1.5X or 2X depending on the podcast. So I can knock out a 3 hour Brokentoken and 2 Pinball Profiles on 1 round trip commute. So much content to consume and I feel like I'm missing out on something if I don't listen to everyone... Radio stations seem to play the same 40 song rotation anymore and I'm totally burned out on talk radio... I'll take my podcasts any day of the year!

-Steve

#35 6 years ago

Be a social butterfly and listen to whoever has the scoop on the latest news or best interview. I listened to a couple recently because of the Elwin and Bowen interviews they had.

#36 6 years ago

My current favorites (and thus recommended):

Kaneda
    Slam Tilt
    Head2Head
    This Flippin' Podcast
    Bro Do You Even Talk Pinball
    Players Pinball Podcast
    Pinball Profile
    Coast2Coast
    Pints and Pinball

Others I still listen to, but now on B list:
    The Pinball Podcast
    Skillshot

#37 6 years ago

It's sad that some podcasts choose to warp what they talk about because of their own personal beliefs or biases and so they omit things thereby presenting an incomplete and inaccurate picture to their listeners.

Sounds very much like the way religion is presented sometimes.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

It's sad that some podcasts choose to warp what they talk about because of their own personal beliefs or biases and so they omit things thereby presenting an incomplete and inaccurate picture to their listeners.

please elaborate

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aphex:

please elaborate

No need. Those that do this know who they are and they have spelled it out in posts in this very thread.

A podcast that deliberately decides to "leave things out" of their podcasts does themselves no favors IMO.

It should be realised that every single person in the world has a different opinion and also a different way of expressing that opinion.

That doesn't make it right OR wrong - just different!

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Hi Mike

I thank you for letting us interview you when you did. And for everything else before.
    After the interview I contacted you and asked you to reconsider the update process for Thunderbirds as I knew the reaction wasn't going to be great. We had 5 days until it was going to be uploaded so if you choose to decided to change the way it was upgraded we could leave out that part of the podcast.
    I was trying to help you.
    You said in an email that of people don't like it, they don't buy it.

Then the podcast comes out. As predicted people are reacting to the fact that you said you cannot update Thunderbirds in a negative way.

You go to Canada and do a talk. It's on YouTube. At the end someone asks you about the update process. You said that we edited you to say that you cannot update at all but you can. So you blame us for what YOU said.
    We didn't edit that bit at all. In fact you can go to episode 8 and listen to it.
    That was a bit upsetting considering my email to you after through show.

These are not made up things. Our podcast is still online. I'm sure that Canadians talk is still online too.

But that's not the reason!

After that of course there is all of the 'drama' regarding the N word and of course the 'yes or no' vote on gay marriage in Australia. It turned AA to all the toxic and horrible words where said by many people.
    Martin asked me if I would support him in his choice and I do. If you want to know the reason why Martin doesn't want to support Homepin as a company then message him.

#41 6 years ago

re-read post #39

There is no need for anything else to be said

#42 6 years ago

Geez this is getting a bit gnarly. I listen to head2head because it makes me laugh, enough said. For those that want to hear a 100+ reasons why bm66 sucks but then a few weeks later 100+ reasons why it rules, then to each their own.

Keep up the good work boys. The recent Charlie Emery interview was awesome.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

re-read post #39
    There is no need for anything else to be said

Mike, I supported Homepin from day one. I gave every post a big thumbs up as I enjoyed the insight you gave us about building pinball.

I watched Thunderbirds when young and actually like the theme for pinball. It was one I would have been interested in buying. Living in Nz I would even qualify for being your target market.

Now when RD landed Rob Zombie I was there the next day to play it. When he landed BM66 and Aerosmith, again I was there the next day to play them. He's just landed a Thunderbirds......yeah, nah, not interested. Its not a dislike to the theme or the machine, its the attitude behind the making of it.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grg:

Mike, I supported Homepin from day one. I gave every post a big thumbs up as I enjoyed the insight you gave us about building pinball.
    I watched Thunderbirds when young and actually like the theme for pinball. It was one I would have been interested in buying. Living in Nz I would even qualify for being your target market.
    Now when RD landed Rob Zombie I was there the next day to play it. When he landed BM66 and Aerosmith, again I was there the next day to play them. He's just landed a Thunderbirds......yeah, nah, not interested. Its not a dislike to the theme or the machine, its the attitude behind the making of it.

You see, that's me being honest and you being easily tricked. You have no idea what the owners of Spooky are thinking because they "hide" their true opinions from the public.

That's smart and I will admit I am dumb. But that's me and if you are "tricked" by their lack of public open-ness well, that's up to you.

Some need to look past the person and look at the bigger picture.

Thanks for your honest post - I do appreciate honesty, but, as you clearly state, it IS NOT always the best policy.

Had I just shut up and "towed the line" you and many others would be none the wiser - is that REALLY better??? Please ask yourself that.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

is that REALLY better

Yes. Maybe it's just me but I would rather hold out hope and be half glass full on someone's personality rather than know they are actually dumb (your words), socially inept, and totally not self aware that whenever they jump on the forum they do damage to their brand.

#46 6 years ago

Every single person on the planet lies every single day. Society would break down if people told the truth all the time.

It's all about the consequences - sometimes it nicer to say 'yeah, you look great today' , than tell the truth.......

Being open is cool but not when the consequences are big time negative.

Everyone has prejudiced thoughts ( impossible not to ) but most are smart enough to keep them to themselves.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Every single person on the planet lies every single day. Society would break down if people told the truth all the time.
    It's all about the consequences - sometimes it nicer to say 'yeah, you look great today' , than tell the truth.......
    Being open is cool but not when the consequences are big time negative.
    Everyone has prejudiced thoughts ( impossible not to ) but most are smart enough to keep them to themselves.

You are so right and it's so sad that this is true. It just shows how shallow many are.......

#48 6 years ago

I've been listening to quite a few podcasts lately. For me Head to Head is the best as its informative and funny...and talks about my local scene.
    I also enjoy Kaneda's.

#49 6 years ago

Head 2 head coz you gotta love that drunk Marty episode!

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

If you are interested in going back and listening to old podcasts from the beginning I would recommend to start with these 2:
    Topcast (must-listen historical podcast with many amazing interviews)
    Coast2Coast (fun shorter-format podcast)

Wow, I remember Topcast. Anyone remember "Talk Pinball" or was it "Pinball Talk"? Also I got to mention RGP Radio, one of the first pinball podcasts (and most hated) right? Memories

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-what-podcasts-to-listen-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.