Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinhead52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

hi all, i am going to look at some pins tomorrow (and why i don't know!! i need more pins like i need another hole in my head ... ... but i seem to be incapable of stopping ! )

anyhow, curious about game play and opinions on Tropic Isle and Sing Along

regards, Ron

#2 9 years ago

Sing Along is fabulous. Top section of playfield is like Cross Town, has the ball-pass kickout holes like Kings & Queens, but the game play is faster than K&Q due to using standup targets instead of rollovers. Really fun to play.

Tropic Isle has backbox lighted animation with the monkeys going up the tree, which is a game carryover feature, IIRC. I haven't played one recently enough to comment on gameplay.

#3 9 years ago

Both games are nice pieces of artwork.

If you're purchasing 1 of them, I'd make it Sing Along. IMO, Tropic Isle doesn't carry that, "Try-One-More-game," Appeal until you're monkey is close to the top of the vine, (Yeah, I said it!). It's 1-5 rollover sequence at the top is straight forward, upon completion the side drains lite up for special. That's about it.

If I had the game, I'd wire the 2 top targets to cancel together when 1 is hit to help that feature move along faster. Both are tough to hit as they're not flipper shots.

#4 9 years ago

I had tropic isle about 30 years ago and loved it. Wish I still had it. Nice monkey backglass animation as the others have said.

#5 9 years ago

I have both but I'd go for the SA.check out the P.O.S that |I brought back to life.
Ted
http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11982

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from novaguy:

I have both but I'd go for the SA.check out the P.O.S that |I brought back to life.
Ted

OMGosh Novaguy my hats off to you, that has to be the absolute dirtiest and nastiest pin project I'd ever seen. That work is amazing. I am hoping you open a new thread on your SA project with details and post lots of progression pics (If you haven't already).

#7 9 years ago

I own a TI and enjoy it but SA/ Melody has always been the wedgehead grail for me and would take it hands down over TI.

#8 9 years ago

hi all, thanks for the opinions

i went and took a look at the games - they were all really nice, but i am super super picky

actually i was going to look at and possibly pick up another Gottlieb Atlantis, only one of 3 i know of locally (and as i just bought one and had it shipped a few months back, of course this one now surfaces for sale ...)

at any rate - Tropic Isle was very nice but a bit of bumper wear - i played it and it was just 'ok' interest wise for me ... there was a fully restored royal guard that was actually more fun to play but art work wasn't interesting enough either, jacks open which was ok but again i have plenty of '70s wedges i prefer over it, Sing Along i didn't play - it had quite a bit of wear down into the wood on all the kickouts at playfield center

the Atlantis was really nice ... and way less than what i paid for mine .. still tempted to go back and pick that up as a 'spare' ... i know of another local guy who has been asking for an Atlantis, not sure if he will pay the asking price, which is firm but i figured i'd give him a shot to step up, if he doesn't i may just have to go back and collect it ... would anyone trade a really nice slick chick for a very nice Atlantis??!?

cheers, Ron

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from novaguy:

Ted

Wow! Truly outstanding restoration on that "Sing Along". Major pinball karma points for you on that one. It makes up (a little anyway), for that imbecile on eBay who parted out a very restorable "SA" a while back.

#10 9 years ago

Repro playfields for Sing Along are now available...

3 weeks later
#11 9 years ago

PFs, where?

#13 9 years ago

I thought those playfields had sold out??

I saw one for sale on Mr. Pinball Classifieds though.

#14 9 years ago

Yea Wade is sold out. He a one "second" left and Im currently installing it in a friends machine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Birmingham, AL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-tropic-isle-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.