(Topic ID: 164808)

Opinions on speaker upgrades for WPC89? (T2)

By ForceFlow

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a T2 that is missing the lower cabinet speaker. So, I have no idea if the other two speakers are even any good, since you need all three to complete the circuit to test the audio.

So, I could either get a substitute for the cabinet speaker, or just bite the bullet and replace them all with a set of pinball pro speakers. No sense in trying one option, then the other if something doesn't work properly.

I also might eventually consider a pinsound board, especially if the original board ends up not being easily repairable (and since the fidelity of the original sounds/music isn't terrific in the first place).

Has anyone found a speaker upgrade for early WPC games to be worthwhile or not?

#2 3 years ago

On t2 I've wondred this myself... I actually like the 2" piazo tweeter sound. I'd just try and find a high independence 8 ohm 6.5 to replace. The modern 6.5's are a direct fit to this 6" speakers

#3 3 years ago

I've upgraded speakers in the past and its always been an expensive disappointment. The cheap factory speakers are good enough for the 8-bit sound and low wattage these games are pumping out.

#4 3 years ago

Skip it. Speaker upgrades are mostly an expensive joke, IMHO.

Spent $79 (when on sale) and get a basic sub. Better bang for the buck.

#5 3 years ago

I didn't realize these were wired in a series, thought they were parallel. My cab speaker in T2 is good as I've tested it, but I don't get any sound from it. I am running an external sub from the left backbox speaker to the sub, that works fine. I've troubleshot it many ways and can't get it to work. The external sub is fantastic on the game so I haven't rewired the cab speaker.

Bottom line, throw a psw10 on it and call it a day.

#6 3 years ago

I keep hearing you naysayers, but correct me if I'm wrong : if you run an amp to each tweeter, yer good, no ?
Nobody has ever went balls out (!) and like, thrown some Cerwin Vegas or HK's into a pin ? It's what I intend to do with my new MET. Can't be any other way.

#8 3 years ago

The only upgrade to T2 audio is ripping the speakers completely out. Man going down that road with 1 good call out is recockulus...so bad.

#9 3 years ago

PinSound is a fantastic upgrade. Not sure if anyone has done a reorchestration yet, but when they do, it's like a whole nuther pin.

#10 3 years ago

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-1170?green=97C83108-B552-5D7E-9382-DF2D3CF409DC Might be some better options on the site but this one jumped out

#11 3 years ago

After looking around a bit at what MCM had available, I ended up putting in an order for it. Thanks for the suggestion

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I keep hearing you naysayers, but correct me if I'm wrong : if you run an amp to each tweeter, yer good, no ?
Nobody has ever went balls out (!) and like, thrown some Cerwin Vegas or HK's into a pin ? It's what I intend to do with my new MET. Can't be any other way.

Or give it the Larry Scott treatment. Whoa baby his games sound incredible.

#13 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure a guy named The Korn (RGP) used to dazzle the public and rattle teeth-fillings with some pimped out amped up Black Knight 2000 at shows back in the day.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside