4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Geocab
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BOPmodsLIST.png
    GeorgesRow.png
    PinballplayNicePortrait1.png
    PinballplayNiceLand2_1.png
    PinballplayNiceLand1.png
    NotForSaleStuckBallCombined_1.png
    NotForSale.png
    StuckBall.png

#1 4 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm taking a few machines to the upcoming Cleveland Show and wanted to put some signs on them but I'm not sure which versions to go with. I have different combinations of the same thing.

What would you do? Any feedback is appreciated.

I was thinking of putting this one in the top right corner of the backbox.
    NotForSale.png

Combined with this somewhere.
    PinballplayNiceLand2.png

Or I can put the number on the Not For Sale sign...NotForSaleStuckBallCombined.png
    PinballplayNiceLand1.png

Not sure if Landscape or Portrait would be better...
    PinballplayNicePortrait1.png

I also can make the Stuck ball sign separate...
    StuckBall.png

Should I print these on normal paper? Photo paper? Some other kind of stock? I'm open to all ideas.

#2 4 years ago

if the game is not for sale, don't put your number on it
    if you don't want people shoving your game, then tighten the tilt

people cannot/will not read signs

#3 4 years ago

How large are these signs anyway? Are the No Rough Play signs sized at 8 1/2 by 11? IMO, the folks running the show should place such signs around the show in visible places, but not on a particular machine. If your game is near a wall, maybe place it on the wall, not on your backglass.

You don't have to say NOT FOR SALE in those huge letters, or at all, as its unnecessary emphasis and because a FOR SALE sign with price tag will tell them its for sale. Without a For Sale sign, they'll figure out that the game is at the show to be shared. I've seen people place little signs saying "From the collection of John Doe". When I see a nicely kept game, I then know who to track down and admire them for it, or at least I'll know who brings games to the shows and I'll file that in the back of my mind.

That Stuck Ball Something Broken sign is a great idea. I find broken games but never know who to contact if it's a show without a reporting system. Maybe place "From the collection of John Doe" on that sign, at the top?

#4 4 years ago

Seems like we've all seen people at shows treat games badly.
    Unfortunately, signs probably won't prevent it. And may provide incentive for jerks to be jerks.
    I do like the idea of letting you know there is an issue though. So maybe just the stuck/broken sign?
    (BTW, there are some of us stoneage folks without text service on our phones )

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

if the game is not for sale, don't put your number on it
    if you don't want people shoving your game, then tighten the tilt
    people cannot/will not read signs

This.

People aren't going to read them. Believe me. When there's a problem they just shut it off. You'll never get a text.

#6 4 years ago

I've used the numbers posted on machines to report prolems at shows. I'd rather be contacted than to just walk up to a dark machine and guess what went wrong.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from vanilla:

How large are these signs anyway? Are the No Rough Play signs sized at 8 1/2 by 11? IMO, the folks running the show should place such signs around the show in visible places, but not on a particular machine. If your game is near a wall, maybe place it on the wall, not on your backglass.
    You don't have to say NOT FOR SALE in those huge letters, or at all, as its unnecessary emphasis and because a FOR SALE sign with price tag will tell them its for sale. Without a For Sale sign, they'll figure out that the game is at the show to be shared. I've seen people place little signs saying "From the collection of John Doe". When I see a nicely kept game, I then know who to track down and admire them for it, or at least I'll know who brings games to the shows and I'll file that in the back of my mind.
    That Stuck Ball Something Broken sign is a great idea. I find broken games but never know who to contact if it's a show without a reporting system. Maybe place "From the collection of John Doe" on that sign, at the top?

I really haven't figured out what sizes for these, I just threw them together last night and figured I'd ask for the forum's input before I printed anything.

The reason I made a NOT FOR SALE sign is because I took my F-14 to a show two years ago and was asked over a dozen times what I was selling it for. I didn't have any signs that time so I was trying to be prepared this time around. I really like your "From the collection..." idea.

It seems the consensus is if I do anything, the Stuck Ball sign is the way to go. And I'll revise it to include CALL for the Neanderthals that don't have texting.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. When I made these last night I was all proud of myself for being able to convey my message with the just-one-step-above-stick-figure guy since I am by know means an artist. I never considered that the advice I received would be not to bother with such signs. But that's exactly why I came to the forum, I've only brought my games to one show so I don't have the experience many here have.

#8 4 years ago

I have seen "Not for Sale" on the backglasses of games before. I bet they still got offers because "He may have changed his mind and forgot to remove the sign." But putting it on there might reduce that some. As for the "Don't shake me" sign, I would not put that there. Unnecessary IMO. Those who do it are going to do it no matter how big you make it. I only saw one guy "Mistreat" a pin at the Expo last year and I tagged him as a Douche from previous conversations. Good player, yes, but definitely a Douche. When he did it, everyone around stopped, stared at him and one person yelled, HEY MotherF. He didn't care. Like I said, he was a douche.
    I think the fix problem sign is a good idea too.

#9 4 years ago

A small card listing the mods would be nice. I've played a couple of pins with innovative mods and wondered where the heck they could be found.

#10 4 years ago

You might add the word "Please" to your signs.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

This.
    People aren't going to read them. Believe me. When there's a problem they just shut it off. You'll never get a text.

Pfft. Not in Texas. People called me and texted me, all three years I've taken games..

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Pfft. Not in Texas. People called me and texted me, all three years I've taken games..

I've taken games to Expo in Chicago for over 10 years. Never one call. Just come back to a machine that is off.

Granted on Cheetah there was a 'add credits' button on the cabinet and people that don't know how to start a classic Stern would shut it off because it wouldn't start a game by adding a credit. It's since been removed and replay lowered.

#13 4 years ago

First year I got called because Space Shuttle had no credits (Had no idea how to put it on freeplay the first day...someone thankfully told me)

Second year I got called becuase Jackbot's lift ramp stopped working.

This year, I got texted for stuck ball in Jackbot and for one on STTNG.

YMMV, but that's no reason to discourage the guy from offering that as an avenue to fix his games with a blanket statement of "nobody will ever let you know" just because of your solo personal experience... maybe it's a cultural thing where you are..I have no idea. I sure was annoyed when I was tending to STTNG and someone on the WMS IJ next to me knocked a nasty looking screw loose and lodged it in a switch cutout. Thankfully the guy had his phone number on the pin and I left him a voicemail AND turned it off..that screw could've done a crapton of damage other than just a stuck ball....

#14 4 years ago

Your number for texting problems is great. The "no rough play" is a lost cause, if they are going to do it a sign won't help.

"Here for you enjoyment, not for sale" might work the best.

If it were me I would put up "I don't want to sell this pin, but if you really want it I will not take any less than $________" put in amount that you would be happy getting, may 150 or 200% of what you think the fair market value is. Who knows, someone may really want it and you can buy another one and have some left over.

#15 4 years ago

If you need signs like that don't bring your games to a pinball show.

I've never seen anybody do a death save at a show or kick a coin door. I might do that if I saw a sign telling me not to abuse it though.

#16 4 years ago

I've texted at a show only to tell them they had dropped the keys under the game.

#17 4 years ago

Once people know you are a pinball guy, you will always get;
    Can you fix my machine?
    Will you sell this machine (coupled with a low ball offer) ?
    Are you also into one armed bandits?

But some times you may get , "I have a xxxxx, would you be interested in buying it (fair price)?

#18 4 years ago

Ok, with the feedback, how about this? Also, any suggestions on size?

GeorgesRow.png

#19 4 years ago

Maybe a 4 x 6 card with this on it...BOPmodsLIST.png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Forever
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 14.95
    $ 30.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.95
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.99
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside