(Topic ID: 91027)

Opinions on regular/orange/yellow dot coils

By Shapeshifter

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjmiller.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

How about hot flipper coils in a woodrail? My 51 Globetrotter plays….well like a wood rail. Not bad really but I thought it may be fun if I could give it a bit more zip. I don't know if Steve's orange/yellow dot coils were designed for this era though.

I think that game is a perfect candidate for hotter coils. You've got 4 flippers working off two coils, and you've got those weird long metal linkages operating the upper set. You can't get replacement parts for anything in that system, and there's no way it operates as smoothly as it did new. In that case, I think slightly hotter coils make up for 60 years of wear and help you get the game back to the way it did when it left the factory.

I put them in Pinwheel and 4 Stars, both machines with the two pairs of flippers side by side at the bottom, and it doesn't feel like the machines have been jacked up, but they do seem to play a little smoother.

#18 9 years ago

If we're being honest, I think the hotter coils are a placebo more than anything.

You take the flippers all apart, you clean everything, you replace the nylon bushing at the playfield, and the bakelite linkages, put new nylon sleeves in, re-do all the solder joints, and finally clean and adjust the return springs and all the switches, and low and behold, the flippers work better!

Well, they probably work better because you did all that maintenance on them more than because you put different coils on, the new coils were just what finally motivated you to do it all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjmiller.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-regularorangeyellow-dot-coils?tu=cjmiller and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.