New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 88078)

Opinions on Pirates of the Caribbean? Would it be worth?...

By Spencer

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3002 (1280x853).jpg
DAvy_003.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I've found a Potc and I've played it and really enjoy it. I love the ship and how it sinks and the rest of the gameplay seems to suit what I enjoy.

Opinions as to the longevity of this game and overall impressions?

I have zero room, so I would have to move something, either Elvira or White Water. ( both are players games, very enjoyable but not collectors quality )

Potc is very nice, including a custom topper and powder coated legs/rails/coin box etc. I would have to add some cash either way depending on what I sold but is Potc a keeper?

Thanks,

-Spencer

#2 6 years ago

I really like POTC, and its very family friendly. I would like to own one, if given the opportunity. At 4-4.5K then its a no brainer for me. Past that, then they can keep it.

#3 6 years ago

Would be about 5k in US funds, but with custom topper and complete powder coating seems about right for the condition.

Thanks for the reply

#4 6 years ago

Yeah. I've played the game about 70 times, and still enjoy it. Looks great in LEDs.

#5 6 years ago

Any other thoughts?

#6 6 years ago

I've owned one NIB since it came out. The theme totally kicks arse, is player friendly, and still draws occasional players/friends who come visit to press start. Guaranteed.

Like any game, over time it does get boring. A keeper in my collection due to family enjoying theme and the draw to it that friends have. Jump in. Worse case you buy it, tire of it, and sell later. Popular pin.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Any other thoughts?

Cool theme, one of the best toys in pinball. I wanted one for a while and after about a week I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It just got old really fast. I absolutely despise this game now.

#8 6 years ago

I'm just about to drag my 2nd POTC in the house today. I had my first one for about 3 months before I got bored and sold it a few years ago...but - I was jonesin' to play it again so I snagged another. I have a feeling in 3 months it will go again lol...we'll see. It lacks a adrenaline in the layout (zero flow) and music (the main tune's a bit slow and hokey)....but it makes up for that with a great toy (ship), cool Multiball rules, a nice fast half-pipe ramp (Jack the Monkey), a unique layout, good music in all the other modes, and some tough wizard goals.

#9 6 years ago

I have this game and it is good balance to the fast games such as st and sm. Easier for the casual player. My wife loves to sink that ship. It is not my favorite game but like ij4 it is staying in my collection because the joy it brings my friends and family.

#10 6 years ago

I'm with Herbert, looks great. It probably is great for guests to some over and play since they love sinking the ship. Gameplay wise after a week it stinks. Go along with the drains down the middle from the orbit and its a stinker. Definitly not a 5000 game in my world. Seems to be right at 4000 near Chicago without mods.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm just about to drag my 2nd POTC in the house today. I had my first one for about 3 months before I got bored and sold it a few years ago...but - I was jonesin' to play it again so I snagged another. I have a feeling in 3 months it will go again lol...we'll see. It lacks a adrenaline in the layout (zero flow) and music (the main tune's a bit slow and hokey)....but it makes up for that with a great toy (ship), cool Multiball rules, a nice fast half-pipe ramp (Jack the Monkey), a unique layout, good music in all the other modes, and some tough wizard goals.

You hit it right on the head. It also has a theme that the wife and kids will love. Very important for the wife to stay positive about the hobby, or at the very least neutral. If/when she goes negative, it's all over.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This, minus the dragging a second one in.

I liked it when i had it, but the gameplay got boring real quick for me. Like Greg said it, there almost no adrenaline rush of any kind in this game. If this doesn't bother you, and you love pirates, then you'll probably love it!
The toy (ship) is still one of the best ever created in pinball. Really cool AND interactive! The perfect combo!

#13 6 years ago

If it helps, even thought I have ours for sale I 'know' that after I get my oldest settled in college this fall I'll be looking to buy another one.

With MM, Tron, and Pirates at home right now I feel like I have a complete collection with something for everyone to enjoy.

It's the first machine that gets played by new players, neighbors, guests and my daughter and wife play it 10 over the other two tables if having a female friendly pin is important then that fact can't be ignored.

Getting to four winds is very very satisfying, and the only complaint I had was resolved when a friend loaded up a fully modified ROM with music totally replaced from the movie soundtrack. The modes are all unique and stack nicely, the coloring and art is beautiful and rich.

When you buy yours be sure to have CaptainNeo to paint your chest!
DAvy_003.JPG
IMG_3002 (1280x853).jpg

#14 6 years ago

I know I'm going against the grain here, but to me POTC is one of the worst modern Sterns to me because of it's ruleset...it's just super boring and repetitive. There are 8 goals you have to accomplish to get to the wizard mode, and like 4 to 6 of them are basically throw aways, things that you'll accomplish without even trying. Then the other two, defeat Davy Jones and Heart Multiball super jackpot require you to shoot the same shot over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, lol. Let's see, I need to sink ships to get to Davy Jones, what do I do? Hit the ship. What's next? Hit the ship. Again. And again. And again. Like 50 times, lol. And if you fail defeating Davy Jones? Hit the ship. Again. And again. And again. Over and over until you die of boredom, lol. And then the other goal, heart multiball super jackpot, you hit the chest to qualify. Again. And again. And again. When it starts, you hit the chest more, lol. And if you fail? Start hitting the chest over and over and over again. Worst ruleset ever in a modern Stern. Playfield layout and ship are awesome, but the ruleset is just awful.

#15 6 years ago

Gets old quick. Very fun at first but after a few long games... I've played 20-30 games on one, roughly.

#16 6 years ago

I really like mine, SM will be sold long before my POTC. Great game.

#17 6 years ago

Wow..this is the first time I heard some like minded critique about POTC. I like Nordman's work a lot but unfortunately this one is a bit shallow for a home environment.

#18 6 years ago

Jack the monkey is no giveaway, or if it is I'm doing it wrong lol

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Jack the monkey is no giveaway, or if it is I'm doing it wrong lol

You know what's funny...I can jam that shot easily to spell JACK...but then when I have to hit it during the hurry up period to collect...I blow it!!!

Just got my POTC into the house a few hours ago...been enjoying it! It's a nice change of pace in a larger collection. Lots of random ball movement and nudging. Not as predictable as the usual ramp/flipper/ramp/flipper games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside