(Topic ID: 223585)

Opinions on pick up trucks. Ford, Chevy, Ram, etc.

By fuseholder

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 168 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jarbyjibbo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Opinions on pick up trucks. Ford, Chevy, Ram, etc.”

• Ford 61 votes
      33%
    • Chevy 41 votes
      22%
    • Dodge/ RAM 17 votes
      9%
    • Toyota 45 votes
      25%
    • Honda 2 votes
      1%
    • Nissan 5 votes
      3%
    • GMC 12 votes
      7%

(183 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210714_194524 (resized).jpg
    20210714_194659 (resized).jpg
    20180529_182036 (resized).jpg
    20180529_183045 (resized).jpg
    BE7B24F0-B350-4BD7-BB43-918317A6022B (resized).jpeg
    198DFC8B-28D5-4ABD-A48A-FAE1BA8DA9D6 (resized).jpeg
    14D9F277-C8A3-4652-AAA0-65D782F3259C (resized).jpeg
    642F3880-3853-4681-BB42-CD1B168D4CC7 (resized).jpeg
    20141008_143521 (resized).jpg
    F2007549-EA9E-42E3-976D-22A86E46F21D (resized).jpeg
    7029CA9B-0FE3-4AEA-9C60-A1EFAECDDB1B (resized).jpeg
    C63FE68A-E1C5-4FE3-B55F-10C3959E15D5 (resized).jpeg
    B84EB73C-CB4D-49A0-BB0A-966FF7455535 (resized).jpeg
    8B210D74-21B5-47A5-952F-284C2F33B080 (resized).jpeg
    van_hood_img_3467_5f2fa1e868ae95fb40087118a78a2a9b883a98cc (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 5 years ago

Working for a heavy highway contractor for over 15 years I will try to sum up my experience without bashing each manufacturer. Every company has their pros and big cons. Let me start by saying I drive a company truck, so I don't have a say as to what manufacturer truck I drive.

Ford: I have seen many Ford F150s drop engines before 100k miles and for that reason I wouldn't go that route.

Chevy: I considered myself more of a Chevy guy than any other brand, but really I'm not brand loyal as I don't purchase the truck (company does). I am currently driving a 2017 Chevy 1500 and the fuel mileage is good when unloaded. The towing capacity is adequate. I have a crew cab which reduces the box of the truck by quite a bit, but the extended cab just doesn't have enough room in the back seat. The negative for this truck is the rumors about their transmissions. The transmission in my truck will clunk every once in a while, which the GM says is normal. Was talking with a foreman on my site that is driving a 2014 Silverado and he had the same clunk in his truck. The next day the transmission went out on him. He found out through talking with repair shops, this seems to be a problem with 2014 to 2018 chevy trucks. Something to research if you want to go with GM.

Dodge: Not much experience here, I have a few friends that have both diesel and gas engines. They don't tow much but they do like them a lot. I have a tough time getting over the transmission problems they had about 10 years ago, but have not researched if they are still a problem now.

Tundra: By far the best truck I have had. The company I work for bought a fairly basic model with the smaller 4.7 engine, but I was able to tow anything I needed with this truck. When I passed this truck on to the next person, it had 165k and ran like it was new. No issues with it while I drove it for 5 years. Biggest problem with the tundra as mentioned above, is the fuel mileage. I probably averaged around 16 mpg with the smaller engine on this one. Also the tundra was by far the less expensive truck. If I was buying a truck for myself I would buy a Tundra.

Also I would not buy anything less than a 1/2 ton as the capacity drops of drastically compared to the price difference between midsize and full size trucks.

Good luck as your head will spin as you get in the middle of your research.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Given the OP is not really looking to pull or haul heavy loads, the need for a Heavy Duty 3/4 Ton truck may be over kill. 1/2 ton models such as F-150, Chevy 1500, Dodge 1500, Toyota Tundra would be more than adequate. Spending the extra $10k and reduced fuel economy of the larger engine may be uncessary. I will say the HD models do last longer, but it’s a much rougher ride!

Actually this is what I meant. I did not mean 3/4 ton. I meant 1/2 ton rather than the mid-sized truck. The OP definitely should not buy a 3/4 ton truck.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Ford Trucks, buy any of them as long as it has the 5.0L V8. The Ecoboost turbo engines are JUNK. Those 5.4 3 valve Triton engines that blew spark plugs are a long time gone. Rust issues are still a problem. 3.7 V6 is the same family as the Ecoboost engines and they ALL have serious timing issues due to poor design. If for some reason you do like/want and Ecoboost, run FULL synthetic oil from day 1 and change it every 5000 miles, it should be OK. FORD is completely off in the engineering department and their oil change intervals on ALL of the Ecoboost products.
    GM/Chevy trucks, I personally don't like any of these. Transmission issues, leakers, and terrible rust issues. V-6 is horrendous. Dexos oil requirement is for FULL SYNTHETIC oil , anything else is a crap shoot on these engines.
    Dodge/Ram, I honestly have to admit these are the most reliable trucks out there right now. However, don't walk away, RUN from ANYTHING with the 3.6L V-6. The Cummings Diesel is the best of all of them. Ford & Chevy can't touch the Cummings. If you buy a Hemi, use nothing but Synthetic oil.
    With ANY of the domestic trucks, plan on ball joints AND tie rods generally between 80 - 100K miles
    Nissan Titan.....horror stories a plenty.
    Toyota trucks are very reliable, but a bit under powered.
    Honda Ridgeline, new style, like them very much. Very Solid truck
    This is all basic overviews coming from a repair shop owner.

This is excellent information. All you need to know in one post.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-pick-up-trucks-ford-chevy-ram-etc?tu=monk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.