(Topic ID: 223585)

Opinions on pick up trucks. Ford, Chevy, Ram, etc.

By fuseholder

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 168 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jarbyjibbo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Opinions on pick up trucks. Ford, Chevy, Ram, etc.”

• Ford 61 votes
      33%
    • Chevy 41 votes
      22%
    • Dodge/ RAM 17 votes
      9%
    • Toyota 45 votes
      25%
    • Honda 2 votes
      1%
    • Nissan 5 votes
      3%
    • GMC 12 votes
      7%

(183 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210714_194524 (resized).jpg
    20210714_194659 (resized).jpg
    20180529_182036 (resized).jpg
    20180529_183045 (resized).jpg
    BE7B24F0-B350-4BD7-BB43-918317A6022B (resized).jpeg
    198DFC8B-28D5-4ABD-A48A-FAE1BA8DA9D6 (resized).jpeg
    14D9F277-C8A3-4652-AAA0-65D782F3259C (resized).jpeg
    642F3880-3853-4681-BB42-CD1B168D4CC7 (resized).jpeg
    20141008_143521 (resized).jpg
    F2007549-EA9E-42E3-976D-22A86E46F21D (resized).jpeg
    7029CA9B-0FE3-4AEA-9C60-A1EFAECDDB1B (resized).jpeg
    C63FE68A-E1C5-4FE3-B55F-10C3959E15D5 (resized).jpeg
    B84EB73C-CB4D-49A0-BB0A-966FF7455535 (resized).jpeg
    8B210D74-21B5-47A5-952F-284C2F33B080 (resized).jpeg
    van_hood_img_3467_5f2fa1e868ae95fb40087118a78a2a9b883a98cc (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 5 years ago

Currently have an 18 Z71 Colorado Extended Cab V6 8 Speed auto with the tow package and other goodies. Sticker would be 38.5k on it. Have over 6k miles on it and just spent this weekend towing a trailer. Loaded 5x8 Uhaul trailer managed 17.5 mpg going 70 for 500 miles yesterday. without a load I averaged 20mpg city and highway though highway I do 23mpg with ease.

That said it is my second Colorado this year. The first was a 17 Z71 Extended I4 6 Speed Auto. The radio did not work from day 1 which I did not learn till after I bought it. There was no am reception. Fm would be 1 or 2 stations that would go in and out as soon as you started driving. The satellite radio would cut out for minutes at a time. It took Chevy two attempts and over 3 weeks to fix. They never fixed the satellite radio. After I got it back and started driving it in town I found out it shook badly at idle. Felt like an old car. MPG was worse than the 4 cylinder which to hit 70+ had to run at 4k rpms and was buzzy. I cannot imagine towing with it. I had it two months, fought with GM Priority care and having nothing good to say about the experience. I still have a chevy because it came down to them cutting me a good deal on the replacement truck or getting a few thousand off the tacoma, but losing 1500 on my trade in. Truck only had 650 miles when I traded it in.

The tacoma, is not worth it. It makes less hp. It gets worse mpg. You get less options configuring it and even better is that depending on when you order it what few options exist may not be available. It is a 15 year old truck underneath a redesigned exterior and it feels like it. Really really wanted to love it so I could get a v6 with a stick, but it is way overpriced for what it is.

Quoted from too-many-pins:

To me the only reason to own a pick up over a van is the "cool factor". When you are younger there is nothing better than a "big bad 4x4" with a nice set of tires & wheels on it. But as you get a little older and start looking at things from a more practical standpoint a van wins hands down in my eyes.

In response to too-many-pins I have a truck because I work on my house. Hauling loads of used 2x4's, brush, old insulation, used toilets, etc is not going to work well in a van. I debated getting a jeep renegade, but it would have required a trailer that I did not want to store. It would also struggle not allow towing a sega f355 challenge deluxe which I did in the last year. I have a 4x4 simply because I live on a hill and both the rwd ranger that this replaced and my miata had multiple instances last year where I could not get up. So no, it is not about having a big bad 4x4. I'd prefer the extra mpg of a rwd and the cost savings, but the truck gives me the flexibility I need.

You will not like that "crew cab" when it comes to trying to park it when shopping. The extra length doesn't fit into most modern parking spaces so you have to park way out and take up two spaces because of that extra couple feet. Even just a full size van or pick up can be tough in "modern" parking spaces but once you go beyond those it is two spaces for sure. Think twice before buying something longer than normal!

You have no idea what you are talking about. Modern vehicles have back-up cameras. It guides you into the spot and you know exactly when to stop. So no, parking is not an issue with a truck.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I would warn against anyones blanketed statements of a brand or model. It really has started coming down to a generation or year of vehicle. For example the Tacoma's HUGE rust issue where the frame would rust out and had to be replaced.

Happened across two generation's of tacomas. Also something to keep in mind is that also happened to two generations of Forerunner's but toyota wasn't forced to do a recall on them so Forerunner owners got stuck with the bill or scrapped them.

#41 5 years ago

I have back up cameras on both of my vans but backing up isn't the issue and if you know how to drive you don't need them anyway. The issue is modern parking spaces are too short for extended cab vehicles to fit into the space. So unless you want your truck sticking out into the driveway a couple feet it just doesn't work. "Modern" spaces are 2 foot shorter and about a foot to 18" narrower than spaces were 15 or 20 years ago and are designed for smaller vehicles. Since I have always driven "full size vehicles" I hate them but if you are driving a compact car they are great.

If you are hauling stuff to the dump pick up trucks are great but we are talking about hauling machines worth thousands of dollars here on a pinball forum and I much prefer hauling stuff with value in something enclosed. Learn how to drive towing a trailer and spend twenty or thirty dollars on a U-Haul open trailer when heading to the dump from time to time makes more sense that risking moving machines in an open truck.
    Like with anything else in life - everyone thinks they know better than the next guy. I'll keep using my van and laughing at you guys with open trucks when I pass you in the rain! The longer everyone thinks pick ups are the way to go the longer I can keep buying vans cheap!

I deal with undersized parking spots everyday due to the parking garage at work. So do dozens of people with fullsize trucks. Nobody has an issue. We know how to drive, but thanks for telling me you can't park.

We are talking about vehicles we use daily. They aren't just for hauling pins. I have hauled pins worth thousands of dollars in a truck without damage, surprise surprise many people on this forum manage to do the same. I hauled 4 cabinets in a trailer this weekend. A trailer I could see around because my side mirrors were designed with towing in mind. A trailer I hauled with ease because I drive a truck which is setup for towing. A truck I can have trailer breaking if I want to haul a larger trailer. Oh, and I don't have to worry about damaging the interior of my van pulling things in and out of it that it was never designed to hold.

If you want to drive vans good for you, but they are hardly the end all be all of vehicles. If you want cheap pin moving buy a mazda5 or a more common mazda3. Pull the head off your game and suddenly you can take two people and a pin while spending far less than any van will cost in gas.

#45 5 years ago

I do agree some people need 4x4 trucks and if you are working construction, hauling trash, or live on a farm they make a lot of sense. But 95% of the people I see driving them wouldn't have a clue what mud was or how to use a 4x4 if they needed it. I am a "country boy" and love a 4x4 if you need one but again we are on a pinball forum talking about the "best vehicle" to move pinball machines with and in my eyes a van wins hands down.
    I do have to say watching the Mud Bogs at the Washington PA Fair this past Saturday night was a blast. Now there is something my van wouldn't be worth a shit for but 1/2 the guys trying couldn't get their 4x4's through it either! The funniest one was the guy in a military Deuce and a Half that didn't make it as far as the guy in the Geo Tracker.

I think the only thing we are going to agree on is that jacked up trucks are pointless. After years of trying to move things with a hatch back or a miata the truck is a god send. I work as a programmer, but since I do my own work on my house it is a necessity full stop.

#59 5 years ago

He also didn't say he lived on a farm or wanted it to work construction. In any event guys that love their pick up will never understand but people who have owned both rarely ever go back to a pick up. I use my full size van to tow my camper with my generator and other gear safely stashed inside the van. I leave thousands of dollars of construction tools in my van when not using it to move machines (or when camping) and never have to worry about anything growing legs.
    In fact this afternoon I need to go unload it from my last construction project at my sons (a month ago) to get ready to go grab 3 pinball machines on Friday. That will be an overnight trip with a night in a motel and if I was using a pick up truck I would have to move 3 pinball machines into my motel room to keep them safe overnight. No way will I ever own another open truck!
    Pick up trucks are great for hauling trash to the dump or moving a refrigerator but for pretty much everything else a van wins hands down in my book.

Or perhaps you are a zealot for vans and don't want to hear anyone else's opinion. We get it you believe in vans, great, but plenty others have chimed in with other opinions and you just ignore it. Don't want a van day to day. Don't want to haul brush, demo material, or have to make dozens of trips because a van doesn't have the weight capacity. There is more to life than just moving pinballs and guess what, my truck hauls pins. Oh, and this notion of being able to leave them inside the van you can do that with a truck just need a shell. I have left pins in a truck over night when I had access to a truck with a shell, no issues with rain or snow. For everything you list as pro van I can come up with an equally compelling reason for a truck. End fo the day it won't matter because all you want is a van and that is not what the op asked for.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Dodge trucks are the most reliable?. Be serious. In my small town at a dealership there are 5 Dodge mechanics and one Toyota mechanic.

I question this as well. My experience with them is that the cummins diesel won't die, but the truck will fall apart around it. FCA products tend to have a poor reputation for reliability as well.

#73 5 years ago

3/4 ton Chevy vans actually have the same weight capacity as a 3/4 ton Chevy pick up. I use my van pretty much everyday for everything - demo work - hauling - camping - etc. I think you are the one not wanting to hear what van people are saying. Great idea putting a cap on your pick up to haul a pinball machine or two - my van will haul 4 fold down head machines or 7 removable head machines (if stacked properly) I would like to see that in a pick up with a cap!
    Regardless of what anyone says pick up people love their pick up trucks and van people love their vans. After owning both I very much prefer the lower deck height of a van, the side door, the 10' long bed inside instead of a 6 or 8' pick up bed, etc. And I can buy two new vans for what most people spend on one pick up truck. Plus insurance is about 40% cheaper for most people because people are not stealing as often or wrecking vans as much as people who own pick up trucks.

Your solution for someone wanting a daily driver vehicle is a 3/4 ton cargo van? You are even more off your rocker than I thought. If we are going with such nonsense why not suggest a box van? Why haul 4 pins when you can haul 20? Why not just up to a semi so we can haul entire arcades in one go? Talk about someone taking a question to an extreme. Think I will go start a thread asking if I should get an electric or gas stove so you can sell me on a commercial wood fire oven that will cook a dozen pizzas at once when all I want to do is heat up my Papa Murphys.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well, if it bothers somebody that much, the pinside way is to report the incident to the moderators instead taking matters into their own hands. People that tell others to "move along" seem like they are on some kind power trip and end up making themselves look worse than the original offender

Sort of like the power trip you are on telling another user how he should handle things? Pot calling the kettle black?

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

If it's not diesel, buy a car or van

Not sure I agree anymore. When diesel was the price of gas sure. Growing up my father had diesel jettas, passats, and even a bmw, but now? Diesel on my truck would have required a zr2 (didn't want due to the lower towing) or a quad cab (didn't want to the short bed that dealers order). It was also a 4k premium over the v6. Diesel gets 29 on the highway, v6 gets 23. On the other hand the diesel costs more to maintain and diesel itself is 40 cents more a gallon around me right now. Just do not see the value. Oh, and the diesel won't come with the 8 speed auto just a 6.

One of the reasons I am on Pinside at all today is I am waiting for several "tire kickers" to reply to my PM's about machines I currently have listed for sale here on Pinside. I love people in a big rush that want machines and weeks later they still can't find time to come get it. I am getting sick of so called buyers when listing machines online!
    If you want something come get it - if not don't waste my time with a dozen questions, needing more pictures, making low ball offers -etc. But that seems to be the norm here on Pinside!

What does this have to do with truck opinions? go make a new thread where you rant endlessly and eventually get locked because you never deliver.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

From what I remember, the DANA corporation provided the frames for Toyota during the early 2000’s, and used inferior steel

Happens up past 2010 so no not just early 2000s.

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Vans like the Sienna/Odyssey/Pacifica drive more like an SUV. Actually they are easier to drive than an SUV in my opinion. Not heavy at all. Our new 2018 Sienna is a joy to drive, I love it.

Too many pins has a 3/4 van which is what the response was too. That said, everyday vans are not designed to have large things brought in and out of them on a regular basis. You will damage it moving a ton of pins over time. Truck bed with a line, not a chance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-pick-up-trucks-ford-chevy-ram-etc?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.