(Topic ID: 223585)

Opinions on pick up trucks. Ford, Chevy, Ram, etc.

By fuseholder

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Opinions on pick up trucks. Ford, Chevy, Ram, etc.”

• Ford 58 votes
      33%
    • Chevy 39 votes
      22%
    • Dodge/ RAM 15 votes
      9%
    • Toyota 44 votes
      25%
    • Honda 2 votes
      1%
    • Nissan 5 votes
      3%
    • GMC 11 votes
      6%

(174 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180529_182036 (resized).jpg
    20180529_183045 (resized).jpg
    BE7B24F0-B350-4BD7-BB43-918317A6022B (resized).jpeg
    198DFC8B-28D5-4ABD-A48A-FAE1BA8DA9D6 (resized).jpeg
    14D9F277-C8A3-4652-AAA0-65D782F3259C (resized).jpeg
    642F3880-3853-4681-BB42-CD1B168D4CC7 (resized).jpeg
    20141008_143521 (resized).jpg
    F2007549-EA9E-42E3-976D-22A86E46F21D (resized).jpeg
    7029CA9B-0FE3-4AEA-9C60-A1EFAECDDB1B (resized).jpeg
    C63FE68A-E1C5-4FE3-B55F-10C3959E15D5 (resized).jpeg
    B84EB73C-CB4D-49A0-BB0A-966FF7455535 (resized).jpeg
    8B210D74-21B5-47A5-952F-284C2F33B080 (resized).jpeg
    van_hood_img_3467_5f2fa1e868ae95fb40087118a78a2a9b883a98cc (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

You are right, I should clarify. Of the big 3 , I believe Dodge/Ram trucks since 2014 to be the most reliable of NEW trucks. The older doge rams are some of the biggest POS on the road. These damn Fords are blowing timing at 90K and have huge carbon issues on the engine valves.
    This hard for me to say because I am 100% a Ford truck guy.
    Toyota>Dodge is also correct.

No way. You keep believing that.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Oh and for Toyota people saying this and that...
    here is a random picture I took while waiting for Chinese food. Nice cracked/Rotted frames are all too common in these trucks.
    They all can rot away, but more often than not Toyotas do prematurely. The rest of the truck looked fine.
    I would personally never buy or drive a Toyota truck and their styling is hideous to boot, look like trucks for insects.
    [quoted image]

Funny cause I think the new Chevys are the most hideous out of all of them lolol. To each their own brotha! Here is a pic of my 2015 TRD Pro Tacoma. Now come on, that’s a sweet picture lolol just playing around here Shackler haha

AF3001BD-1446-4748-A920-859144B426E1 (resized).jpegD3F5A730-599B-43F3-AA2F-1C22DEFF460A (resized).jpeg
    #103 1 year ago

When you get a huge dent in the aluminum bed of a ford or worse wreck it who will fix it or how much will it cost to replace. Fords idiotic ecotech 6 cyl turbo engine is a disaster waiting to happen. The older trucks with their 2 piece spark plugs were a disaster as well. I don't buy them because they don't last the note and you never see them at auctions because they don't last.

#104 1 year ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

No way. You keep believing that.

Hey, whatever, but being in the industry I see what comes through my shop.

Actual results may vary.

"You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?"

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Hey, whatever, but being in the industry I see what comes through my shop.
    Actual results may vary.
    "You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?"

Any major problems with the Duramax? Only problem i have seen is losing fuel prime once and a while, putting a lift pump enhancer on my truck to fix the problem.

#106 1 year ago

Own a 2017 Toyota Tundra Limited crew cab and love it. Very reliable and extremely roomy inside. I don’t even use the bed when transporting a pin, it fits perfectly right across the back seat! No worries about weather or anything. I only use bed for multiple machines.

#107 1 year ago

If you buy a Chevy and get tired of the color, no problem! It'll probably need a new paint job before long anyway.

708cd5a6-32c1-1033-b743-4c3114d2dee3r (resized).jpg
    #108 1 year ago

A little weak Odin. We both know why the paint is breaking off.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

We both know why the paint is breaking off.

Actually I haven't wasted any time finding out why because the paint on my 2001 Tacoma is still going strong.

https://www.torquenews.com/3768/how-paint-problems-are-infuriating-2015-chevy-silverado-owners

#110 1 year ago

Re-painted my 2002 Tacoma several years ago. Green in color. Owned it for 14 years before trading it in for a 2016 Tacoma.

image (resized).jpeg
    #111 1 year ago

What happened did a ball joint give way? And how many miles were on it?

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Actually I haven't wasted any time finding out why because the paint on my 2001 Tacoma is still going strong.
    https://www.torquenews.com/3768/how-paint-problems-are-infuriating-2015-chevy-silverado-owners

Promise you, that if you come drive your 2001 Toyota in New England for a couple winters that your frame will be anything but strong.

#113 1 year ago

180k, cheap fix. Looks much worse than is. Fixed it on location. Don't want to move it when the ball joint gives way. Truck was back in operation in about 1 1/2 hours. My fault, knew they were needing to be replaced.
    The pealing Chevy paint looks like paint, filler and then metal.

#114 1 year ago

Promise you, that if you come drive your 2001 Toyota in New England for a couple winters that your frame will be anything but strong.

That's why people get them undercoated. Any brand.

A messy, pointless procedure here, but a Nissan dealer I worked for had us do most of them so they could charge more money.

I've seen old Chevy's that never left the area rotting away underneath. And more bad clearcoats than any other brand.

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

The pealing Chevy paint looks like paint, filler and then metal.

Perhaps, but I don't see any filler on many of the other examples out there.

van_hood_img_3467_5f2fa1e868ae95fb40087118a78a2a9b883a98cc (resized).jpg
    #116 1 year ago

I like pickup trucks.
    The only car I've ever owned was my first (70 Chevelle) -- from there on it was always a pickup of some sort.
    Personally, I drive an older '97 Dodge with the Cummins Engine and a five speed manual -- probably not a good recommendation but I like this truck as the engine is all mechanical with no electrics to deal with (I can work on/service it). I don't drive it every day or in winter due to the rust issues with the salt. . . or just rust issues in general on these trucks

I know its a matter of preference but I like the styling of the second generation Dodge trucks as well as the sound -- even with the stock exhaust you know when I'm coming up the driveway.

As other posters have mentioned, there are a lot of better and overall good options out there.

I have owned a couple vans and even at 200K my All Wheel Drive Astro Van would go anywhere in the snow. . . it just gave off too much of a "I want to steal your children" vibe to keep around. As a first time truck owner I might suggest starting with something smaller -- this way you can get a feel for how much you will need/use a truck to do truck things while still zipping around in something car sized.

My daily driver is a Jeep Wrangler and I do like it (not a truck, I know) -- they are supposedly coming out with a Wrangler Pickup which looks fun.

Wranglers tend to hold their value but the pickup will be a new design and "unproven."

Toyotas are reliable and hold their value -- I would not be against owning one someday if the towing/hauling duties become less of a priority.

End of story is no matter what type or model of truck you get you will use it for all kinds of things. . . maybe even wonder how you got along without one!

Quoted from fuseholder:

I’m considering buying a pick up truck. Never owned one. I’ve watched a ton of you tube videos and read about various manufacturers. The only thing I’m settled on is a 4dr and 4x4. Are the smaller trucks, Tacoma or Ranger worth it? Or stick to the “f150” larger trucks. Just wondering what you pinside people drive, had or dislike.

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's why people get them undercoated. Any brand.
    A messy, pointless procedure here, but a Nissan dealer I worked for had us do most of them so they could charge more money.
    I've seen old Chevy's that never left the area rotting away underneath. And more bad clearcoats than any other brand.

From what I remember, the DANA corporation provided the frames for Toyota during the early 2000’s, and used inferior steel. Not a good combination with a boxed frame. The Toyota frame from that time is built similar to a breadstick, it’s not very thick.

GM frames will rot here but the body matches up with that rot, and they almost always had a hard life with good miles. That picture of the Toyota I provided is very common. Body was fine, frame was swiss.

The only clean 1980’s Toyota around here is the movie truck from Back to the Future, which is garaged about 15 minutes from me. No other bed from that era of truck in the North East can be seen without it looking like it was in the middle of a firing range, they just do not exist.
    8B210D74-21B5-47A5-952F-284C2F33B080 (resized).jpegB84EB73C-CB4D-49A0-BB0A-966FF7455535 (resized).jpeg

#118 1 year ago

I can find pics of Toyotas shedding their clearcoats as well. As you can with any brand.

So I guess when buying a truck, a consideration how you will use it, and of the environment it will be in, and elements it will be exposed to should be made, and which brand will best suit those needs.

They all have certain engines that will work longer than others, and transmissions should be a big consideration, as some will take a shit long before others.

#119 1 year ago

I currently own a 2000 chevy s10, a 2010 ford f150 and a 2011 toyota tacoma. Toyota tacoma gets my vote!

#120 1 year ago

I had a 2003 Ford F150 lariat. Bought brand new and sold in 2017 without any problems other than maintaining it. Great truck! I wish I could get this lucky every time.

#121 1 year ago

From what I remember, the DANA corporation provided the frames for Toyota during the early 2000’s, and used inferior steel

Happens up past 2010 so no not just early 2000s.

#122 1 year ago

I traded in my Jeep Wrangler about 6 months ago for a Ram 1500. I asked the same question and got all kinds of advice, mostly not to buy a Ram.

I have buddies with Ford, Chevy, and Toyota. Pros and cons with each, but I’ve heard pretty consistently that Toyotas will be the most reliable.

The 1500 is running great so far. I opted for the 2017 Rebel and saved a ton off the sticker.

C63FE68A-E1C5-4FE3-B55F-10C3959E15D5 (resized).jpeg
    #123 1 year ago

I can't say I haven't had to do any repairs on my Tacoma Pre-runner.

At about 170,000 miles when I did the rear brakes, the axle seal was leaking slightly and that turned out to be a pain in the ass job replacing the bearings and such as they have to come off to do the seals.

What I can't figure out is how the truck ended up with an early production setup on one side and later production on the other, which made getting the correct parts a pain. But I didn't buy it new, so anything is possible.

#124 1 year ago

2018 f150 Raptor owner here. Not cheap, but I love this truck. This is my 3rd f150 in a row over 25 years or so.

#125 1 year ago

Dpf def scr = junk junk junk

Snatch up a 99-03 7.3 and you’re golden

#126 1 year ago

I got a good deal on a 23' camper trailer from a friend (which was our first) and then I was presented with a problem; my '06 Pathfinder with 220K miles was not up to the task of hauling it out in the middle of nowhere. The same friend had a '14 F150 FX4 Crew Cab for sale because he was graduating from the old camper to a new toy hauler and needed something with larger towing capacity. I made him a offer on the package and I became a truck owner.

As someone who has always owned cars, I will never be truck-less again. I absolutely love driving it and I am done borrowing other people's trucks or trying to cram everything into the Pathfinder. Don't get me wrong, I love my manual transmission BMW and drive it during the week to work and back but the truck is a great compliment to it.

I am no help when comparing the Ford to anything else other than my grandpa had an '87 F150 that he hauled a fifth wheel back and forth to Alaska for 10 years that never treated him wrong. My father-in-law has an F350 that he loves. My dad has a Frontier that he likes as well. Assuming you know the stats you need out of it, they'll all work for you. Just go try them and see what speaks to you the most.

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do you like to also tell people not on the internet what to do?

Sure do. In your case, don't retire. Just messing with you.

#128 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I traded in my Jeep Wrangler about 6 months ago for a Ram 1500. I asked the same question and got all kinds of advice, mostly not to buy a Ram.
    I have buddies with Ford, Chevy, and Toyota. Pros and cons with each, but I’ve heard pretty consistently that Toyotas will be the most reliable.
    The 1500 is running great so far. I opted for the 2017 Rebel and saved a ton off the sticker. [quoted image]

All I see is vinyl / plastic. Just like houses these days, crappy and cheap cheap cheap materials. Sorry dude, thumbs down from me.

#129 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Any major problems with the Duramax? Only problem i have seen is losing fuel prime once and a while, putting a lift pump enhancer on my truck to fix the problem.

Injectors, overheats, and plugged PCV's that make the turbos consume oil and blow out.

#130 1 year ago

Personally, after knowing a few people with Dodges, I would stay away.

I've always owned GM vehicles all my life. Parts are easy to come by, reasonably priced, and you can find TONS of advice online because the people who own them tend to be the type of people who wont take it in to fix it.

I would say between the big 3, go Ford or GM, depending on what features matter to you.

I have a 2017 Chevy Crew Cab LTZ with a 5.3L, and my buddy has a 2018 Ford King Ranch with the Ecotech. Recently we both took a long trip. Highway gas mileage I beat him every time. In the city he kills me because of the start/stop. But on the highway at 78, I think he was averaging around 18 or 19. I was getting just over 23. I'm pretty sure at that speed he was sitting in boost, so it was killing his gas mileage. If you don't drive that fast, it would probably do just as well.

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

All I see is vinyl / plastic. Just like houses these days, crappy and cheap cheap cheap materials. Sorry dude, thumbs down from me.

No sweat, my friend. We can't all have impeccable taste in the finer things, like Data East's masterpiece, WWF.

#132 1 year ago

Toyota.

Toyota is bigger then the "Big 3" so... are they not the "Detroit 3"? Well actually they should really be referred to as the Detroit 2 since Chrysler/Ram got kicked out of the "Detroit 3" club when FIAT bought them.

Certain rusty Tacoma and Tundra frames are being replaced under warranty or bought back from what I understand. Pretty impressive that Toyota would put that kind of money into such old trucks. The Detroit 2 and Fiat/Chrysler/Ram products of that era are all in the junk yards now.

People justify buying Detroit 2 plus the other one with the $20,000 rebates they offer thinking they got a good deal and later on wonder why resale on them stinks.

Buy a Toyota...

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

He also didn't say he lived on a farm or wanted it to work construction. In any event guys that love their pick up will never understand but people who have owned both rarely ever go back to a pick up. I use my full size van to tow my camper with my generator and other gear safely stashed inside the van. I leave thousands of dollars of construction tools in my van when not using it to move machines (or when camping) and never have to worry about anything growing legs.
    In fact this afternoon I need to go unload it from my last construction project at my sons (a month ago) to get ready to go grab 3 pinball machines on Friday. That will be an overnight trip with a night in a motel and if I was using a pick up truck I would have to move 3 pinball machines into my motel room to keep them safe overnight. No way will I ever own another open truck!
    Pick up trucks are great for hauling trash to the dump or moving a refrigerator but for pretty much everything else a van wins hands down in my book.

Snooze.

Vans are all well and good, but a truck has the advantage in more ways than one. First, a front end hit or collision in a van? No thanks. Most do not have 4 wheel drive, kind of suck in the snow. I don't see anybody putting a plow on a van. A truck definitely looks better than a van. A van drives like...well, a van. They totally suck going over a bridge, the wind really tosses them around and they feel like you're driving a land yacht in general. My parents owned GMC conversion vans back in the day, I remember what it was like to drive one of those boats and they don't exactly get out of their own way easily. Why stop at Van? Mine as well get a box truck.

As for the rainy weather or need to protect debate, A suburban does both, and if it's still a truck, a small covered trailer does the job just fine.

#134 1 year ago

Snooze.
    Vans are all well and good, but a truck has the advantage in more ways than one. First, a front end hit or collision in a van? No thanks. Most do not have 4 wheel drive, kind of suck in the snow. I don't see anybody putting a plow on a van. A truck definitely looks better than a van. A van drives like...well, a van. They totally suck going over a bridge, and feel like you're driving a land yacht. My parents owned GMC conversion cans back in the day, I remember what it was like to drive one of those boats and they don't exactly get out of their own way easily. Why stop at Van? Mine as well get a box truck.
    As for the rainy weather or need to protect debate, A suburban does both, and if it's still a truck, a small covered trailer does the job just fine.

Vans like the Sienna/Odyssey/Pacifica drive more like an SUV. Actually they are easier to drive than an SUV in my opinion. Not heavy at all. Our new 2018 Sienna is a joy to drive, I love it.

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I like pickup trucks.
    The only car I've ever owned was my first (70 Chevelle) -- from there on it was always a pickup of some sort.
    Personally, I drive an older '97 Dodge with the Cummins Engine and a five speed manual -- probably not a good recommendation but I like this truck as the engine is all mechanical with no electrics to deal with (I can work on/service it). I don't drive it every day or in winter due to the rust issues with the salt. . . or just rust issues in general on these trucks
    I know its a matter of preference but I like the styling of the second generation Dodge trucks as well as the sound -- even with the stock exhaust you know when I'm coming up the driveway.
    [quoted image]
    As other posters have mentioned, there are a lot of better and overall good options out there.
    I have owned a couple vans and even at 200K my All Wheel Drive Astro Van would go anywhere in the snow. . . it just gave off too much of a "I want to steal your children" vibe to keep around. As a first time truck owner I might suggest starting with something smaller -- this way you can get a feel for how much you will need/use a truck to do truck things while still zipping around in something car sized.
    My daily driver is a Jeep Wrangler and I do like it (not a truck, I know) -- they are supposedly coming out with a Wrangler Pickup which looks fun.
    [quoted image]
    Wranglers tend to hold their value but the pickup will be a new design and "unproven."
    Toyotas are reliable and hold their value -- I would not be against owning one someday if the towing/hauling duties become less of a priority.
    End of story is no matter what type or model of truck you get you will use it for all kinds of things. . . maybe even wonder how you got along without one!

If they do this model...

7029CA9B-0FE3-4AEA-9C60-A1EFAECDDB1B (resized).jpegF2007549-EA9E-42E3-976D-22A86E46F21D (resized).jpeg
    #136 1 year ago

You'll never reach agreement. Much of that is due to the underlying visceral element some have and some don't. Some look at vehicles as simply modes of transportation...it gets me and my stuff from point A to point B. (Seems like too-many-pins falls in this category.) Others have a visceral connection with their cars/trucks. Look at me, I spent big bucks to immediately replace the wheels, tires, add lift kit, etc. on a brand new Ridgeline. Net impact, reduced gas mileage and reduced handling while making the ride rougher. Yeah, I can rationalize as superior off-roading performance. But, other than it really eating up the potholes around here, I'm not rock hopping, so it's a stupid economic decision but the bottom line is, I like the way it looks.
    Seeing pics of other trucks on here with after market wheels, seems like many of you feel the same.

My car before this was a modified Golf R. Not very practical but very fun to drive. I love std transmission (the Ridgeline was my first automatic). Used to be you could rationalize better performance but with the fancy, sophisticated double clutch stuff out there these days that logic no longer holds water. But I like the visceral experience of a manual. My wife has a performance car. If I'm in the house when she fires it up, I admit, I smile when I hear that distinctive deep exhaust note.

So for those of us who have that emotional attachment to our vehicles, agreement isn't possible since that attachment is based on personal taste and everyone's taste is different. Of all people, Pinsiders should know that!

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Vans like the Sienna/Odyssey/Pacifica drive more like an SUV. Actually they are easier to drive than an SUV in my opinion. Not heavy at all. Our new 2018 Sienna is a joy to drive, I love it.

Too many pins has a 3/4 van which is what the response was too. That said, everyday vans are not designed to have large things brought in and out of them on a regular basis. You will damage it moving a ton of pins over time. Truck bed with a line, not a chance.

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

You'll never reach agreement. Much of that is due to the underlying visceral element some have and some don't. Some look at vehicles as simply modes of transportation...it gets me and my stuff from point A to point B. (Seems like too-many-pins falls in this category.) Others have a visceral connection with their cars/trucks. Look at me, I spent big bucks to immediately replace the wheels, tires, add lift kit, etc. on a brand new Ridgeline. Net impact, reduced gas mileage and reduced handling while making the ride rougher. Yeah, I can rationalize as superior off-roading performance. But, other than it really eating up the potholes around here, I'm not rock hopping, so it's a stupid economic decision but the bottom line is, I like the way it looks.
    Seeing pics of other trucks on here with after market wheels, seems like many of you feel the same.
    My car before this was a modified Golf R. Not very practical but very fun to drive. I love std transmission (the Ridgeline was my first automatic). Used to be you could rationalize better performance but with the fancy, sophisticated double clutch stuff out there these days that logic no longer holds water. But I like the visceral experience of a manual. My wife has a performance car. If I'm in the house when she fires it up, I admit, I smile when I hear that distinctive deep exhaust note.
    So for those of us who have that emotional attachment to our vehicles, agreement isn't possible since that attachment is based on personal taste and everyone's taste is different. Of all people, Pinsiders should know that!

I couldn't agree more! In my "young & dumb days" I was all over flash and getting attention. Before I graduated from College I had owned over 30 vehicles. I build the first V-8 Vega on the east coast, I had a Dodge Ram lifted of 12" with the biggest tires you have ever seen on a street truck, a 70's Plymouth Duster that held the National Record two years in a row for "E" Street Stock, more 35 through 40 Ford Coupes than I can even remember (all either Street Rods or Street Rod projects) and I loved every minute of it. We also raced on the "SCCA" and Modified Class on our local dirty tracks & "B" Gas at our two local drag strips on a regular bases.

As I got older I realized none of that stuff really mattered. A vehicle was made to get you from point A to point B safely - nothing more & nothing less. Now I look for the most practical vehicle for what ever I am currently involved with and change them out as my needs change. In the past 10 years I have owned over 20 different enclosed trailers and currently own 4. Since I do more with moving machines around these days then anything else I have found a full size van using various size trailers is the "smartest" way to go.

Since this is a discussion on a pinball forum I added my two cents too many times about how a van was the best vehicle for that. Based on my experience with Chevy vans I would vote of a Chevy truck if I had to pick a pick up truck to buy. I have put over 200,000 miles on 5 different Chevy vans (towing the majority of the time) and never had to do anything to any of them other then front brakes, oil changes, tires, and fuel pumps on two of them. ZERO other issues on any of my Chevy's and I work my trucks! All had 6.0 Vortex engines for towing (basically the old 350 truck engine).

#139 1 year ago

Has anyone test drove or have an GMC Canyon? What was your impression?

#140 1 year ago

I have owned two GMC Canyon trucks. Started with a 2016 crew cab SLT V6 and traded it in for a 2017 crew cab Denali with the Duramax diesel. The dealer told me I could get around 30mpg when I bought it. To my surprise on my last trip I averaged 32.1mpg going about 70mph. I used to have a full-sized Sierra and really like the smaller size of the Canyon for city driving. If I need to pull anything the diesel is rated at 7600lbs which is more than I ever pulled with my half ton truck.

#141 1 year ago

I just bought a 2005 Chevy PU with 288K on it and pulled a boat with it and it drives perfect. Do that with a Ford or Dodge.

#142 1 year ago

I'm still wondering why you need a truck to move pins. I own a truck and wouldn't let a single one of my pinballs touch the bed of that damn thing. Who wants their new game exposed to the elements, sunlight, rain, heat etc. Sure you can slide by if you're going short distances on a perfect day but I would never drive across state lines to buy a game only to toss it in the back of my truck open to the weather.

I would suggest getting a full size 4x4 SUV. It has more than enough room to carry one or two single games covered as well as the hp\tq pulling a trailer etc. I guess you could put a camper on a truck and accomplish the same thing... but I would personally go with a SUV for moving pinballs. If you don't mind having the games exposed to the weather I guess a truck without a cover is the way to go.

#143 1 year ago
    Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

Has anyone test drove or have an GMC Canyon? What was your impression?

Test drove the Canyon Denali last year. Hands down my vote for best looking. Plus you can get ventilated seats (don't laugh if you don't live in the South. Speaking of which, the Ridgeline did not offer a ventilated seat option, except in Canada. Yes, you read that right, not in NC or AL or LA, but in BC, Canada). Anyhow, the ride and handling on the Ridgeline was like an SUV, the Canyon was like...well, like a truck. I really wanted to get the Canyon, due to its looks, but (nod to too-many-pins here) practical side of more comfortable ride, 2-way tailgate and locking trunk won out. In my youth, I would have picked the Denali.

#144 1 year ago

The canyons and colorados are awesome but don't get that 5 cylinder engine. They don't last. Get a 6 if possible.

#145 1 year ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

That is what they make open trailers for! I'll take the protection of my stuff safely inside a van over a good looking pick up any day of the week. Guys that think pick up trucks are the best way to haul stuff have never owned a van. In my "young & dumb days" I would have never even considered a van but after owning both I would never own another pick up especially at today's inflated prices on them.
    This Spring I bought a NEW Chevy Express 2500 for under $30k with a 6.0L Vortec V-8 --- complete with towing package & trailer hitch already installed from the factory. I can tow up to 7800 pounds haul up to 2 ton in the back of the van. A week after buying that van I brought 14 machines and over a ton of parts home from Texas with that and my 6x12 trailer staying in motels several nights without worrying about have thousands of dollars worth of machines in the back of an open truck or trailer. But better yet I didn't have to unload right away when I got home since everything was tucked safely inside my van & enclosed trailer.
    Legal load capacity on a 2500 series van is 3000 pounds but they will handle a lot more. (That is only a few hundred pounds less than a 3/4 ton pick up about 300 pounds to be exact). I hate to admit it but I have had in excess of 5000 pounds in the back of my vans more than once with no issues. Towing capacity is 7,800 pound compared to a pick up at 13,000 but how many people tow trailers bigger than a 8x24 car trailer weighing 7,000 pounds anyway?
    For style & luxury a decked out pick up is great but if you are truly looking for the best way to move machines around you can't beat a van. Another nice thing about moving machines in a van is deck height is about a foot lower so one guy can load a machine with no issue into the back of a van. I am 64 years old and do it by myself all the time. Try doing that in your 3/4 ton 4x4!
    And a few more things great about vans:
    First - I can move 12' lumber without having rear doors open as long as it fits between two front seats. That is great when picking up materials for a project ahead of time and not wanting them hanging out of my truck on the way home.
    Second - regardless of my load I don't ever have to worry about wind damage, stuff falling out of the van etc - unlike guys with a pick up trucks that always seem to leave part of their loads on the highway.
    Third - side door and never having to climb up into the back of a semi loaded vehicle and having to climb over stuff to get to what is in the front of the bed.
    And lastly I can check my load without having to pull over - just look over my shoulder and everything is tucked safely inside my vehicle.
    Looking for a cool ride buy a pick up but if you are looking for the best way to move machines and other valuable cargo around buy a van you will not be sorry. But if you do buy a van buy a Chevy or GMC because they are the only two vans with progressive rear springs so they ride as nice empty as full.

If you are moving pins nothing beats a sprinter high roof. Extended length at 170 wheel base fits 14 pins in the cabin. Also 4 cylinder 7 speed diesel achieves 30mpg empty and about 27 loaded.

Love your van though. Nice set up for very reasonable money.

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

If you are moving pins nothing beats a sprinter high roof. Extended length at 170 wheel base fits 14 pins in the cabin. Also 4 cylinder 7 speed diesel achieves 30mpg empty and about 27 loaded.
    Love your van though. Nice set up for very reasonable money.

I had looked at Sprinters but they didn't have to towing capacity I needed for either my camper or two of my enclosed trailers. I love them but I also didn't like the idea of a HUGE truck for my local running. Typically I only drive to pick up groups of machines a couple times a year so a Sprinter would kind of be overkill for my needs.

The footprint of my van is basically the same as a full size pick up so that is not a PITA to park pretty much anywhere. Once you get into extended length (either pick up or van) parking can sometimes be an issue. That is also why I love my 7x16 enclosed trailer. With that behind the van I can just pull through a parking space and use just two parking spaces to park instead of having to park across several spaces like I need to do with my longer trailers. But my favorite set up is using my van with a 6x12 trailer because that rig fits just about anywhere you want to go and is easy to back into tight driveways or make a U turn when necessary. The longer & wider you get the more space you need!

A pick up truck looks better and is more fun to drive but I'll take the security of a van over a pick up any day of the week. I don't want to get way off topic again but I did want to reply to your Sprinter idea. For someone on the road more than driving locally they are the only way to go. But with us doing mostly local running they just don't fit my needs.

#147 1 year ago

Chevy and GMC should be in the same bucket for the poll

The 2 votes for the Honda Pilot make me just shake my head. They are a modern day El Camino. The transgender vehicle of the auto world...born as a Honda Pilot SUV, but self identified itself as a pickup truck and had a “sex change”. Ugliest things on the road right now

1 week later
    #148 1 year ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

My wife an I are also looking at trucks. In our case, I feel like the traditional husband / wife roles are reversed on this issue. I don't think we really need a truck, but she really wants one. I don't feel we haul things often enough to justify the cost. We also need a vehicle that can haul at least four people, so we're looking for the crew cab. After our first round of research we are leaning towards a Ford F150 XLT with 2.6L Ecoboost. With all of the incentives that seems like the best value. If we take a truck out of a loaner program we can get it down to about $37,000 pre-tax. If someone happens to know of a better value, please post them here.

So my wife changed her mind. We ended up joining the van family: Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus. My wife was sold by all the "extras". It is pretty loaded. You'd probably have to play 75K plus to end up with all of those features in a truck. I've only played with it for about an hour, but I already have it running a raspberri pi on the duel screen entertainment system. I played some Mike Tyson's Punch Out in the van last night. I really want to try to set it up to function with the touch screen controls.

#149 1 year ago

I like Toyota trucks due to all the reasons already posted.

My old V6 2007 Tacoma hauled a 19ft travel trailer from Seattle to Stockton, CA and back. Required a weight distribution hitch. Had my pedal to the floor up through the hills but it made them all at speed.

Currently driving a 2015 Tacoma, its my work horse. Sometimes I take it up to the mountains for snowboarding. No complaints yet.

Pic of it at the dealership when I got it.

20141008_143521 (resized).jpg

Added 13 months ago:

Dat der be a Tundra not a Tacoma.

#150 1 year ago

I like Toyota too, but isn't that a Tundra in the photo, not a Tacoma?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 5.00
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 26.95
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 12.75
    There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside