(Topic ID: 268845)

Opinions on old vs new pins

By Jasenwm

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jasenwm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have a few older pins Mars God of War, Haunted house, Mr mrs pacman and rescue 911 but am looking to expand my collection to new or nib ones. My concern is the new pins seem to be almost unfixable with the leds being a part of the boards where you have to replace to entire board as opposed to just changing a bulb. Do you guys tend to shy away from the new games because of they're not as easy to fix the individual parts that will eventually need replacing? Is it worth to spend the money on the newer pins looking towards the future and long term ownership?

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy:

I believe your point is made for all new tech when it's new. Haunted House was a nightmare to maintain when it was new. No internet help back in those days. I had one on location. It made good money but we eventually parted it out.

Funny enough I have a haunted house that is giving me issues as we speak!

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Unfortunately, they will get the highest amount of people showing up with money to burn......

Stern has the license to alot of great titles so they kind of have the market cornered. I'm looking at the new jp prem, looks pretty sweet

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from PokerJake:

Newer games by far minus JJP. Less maintenance, deeper, faster and more fun.

You prefer the 93 version over the new jp?

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I just picked up the DE version of JP and I enjoy the Stern version more. The Stern version was just fun to play while the DE version feels clunky to me and I'm a DE fan. Kid loves the game though and my wife too. It has great sound, calls outs and a pile of rules but still shoots awkward to me.

Would you recommend the premium version of the new jp over the pro?

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Can't say, don't recall what version I was playing at the York show. There is things I don't like about the Stern version (cheap ass looking playfield plastics and the print quality and finish of the playfield was terrible) but it was fun as hell to shoot.

The premium version has the moving t Rex head

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Are you leaning towards anything yet (or a few different options, maybe)?

I just picked up a cue ball wizard and south park. I'm looking towards going for new in the future. Possibly jurassic Park premium and or black knight pro

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lathroum:

My opinion... I would rather have several pins than one expensive pin. Yes, the new pins have all of the toys and rules and blah blah blah... but they are also EXPENSIVE... for the price you can buy several older pins. It would be like being forced to watch the same movie all the time... sure you might like it, but it will go stale after a while. Look at how many Low Play HUO new machines are being flipped a few months after they come out. If you like newer pins, buy them used save a few $. Currently I have 5 pins... Gottlieb Jungle EM, Williams Jubilee EM, Williams Comet, Gottlieb Rescue 911 and Gottlieb Waterworld. I like the 90s Gottliebs, lots of bang for the buck. Cool toys. The rules are easy to understand and the shots are not impossible to make. But, if you dig into them and figure out the rules, there are atually a lot of modes to go through. EMs are also cheaper but a different kind of game. I think the EMs are good for a few quick games, mostly you are just going for score. They are fun to play and compete against other people. I like the variety of artwork and game styles. 1980s Solid state games are great. Go with Classics like Comet, Black Knight, Gorgar, Space Shuttle, Black Hole, Pinbot, Cyclone, even Bad Girls is cool. Look for a themes you like. If I get bored of one pin, I just play a different one (I have 5 to choose from). Even the 90s Gottlieb DMDs have enough modes to keep you busy for a while. For all of the people who bash Rescue 911, I wonder how many have actually finished a Life Force Mode.. or even Gotten to SUPER LIFE FORCE and gotten the 1 Billion bonus... Hitting the Million Shot on Comet is still awesome, and that dang dunk dummy needs to be hit in the face. Waterworld has a cool ball lock in a ship that dumps onto the playfield, and a moving habitrail ramp! My EMs I had to fix, but they were under $200 each! I would look for older games with cool features, good themes and get a cool selection of different pins from different eras. You can never go wrong with most pinballs anyway the prices will just go up.

I have a rescue 911 and cue ball wizard and I love them! Totally agree with you. I purchased both for $2,400 each and they look like new. I can't justify spending any more then $3,000 for a pinball. The new ones are nice but 5-6k imo is a shit ton of money

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jasenwm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-old-vs-new-pins?tu=Jasenwm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.