Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E3AF2DD7-21F4-40D1-988E-396A72B1DDD1 (resized).jpeg
194088F3-FA60-4D54-9462-72BE8D954EBA (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I have an opportunity to purchase I Gottlieb Big Hit here locally.

Was wondering what people think of it, and also where you think it falls within the Gottlieb “baseball” themed games?

I know it was one of the later (1977, I believe) wedgeheads. Was just curious what people think.

#2 5 years ago

I almost bought a BH myself, even got a flyer for it, but decided against it at the last minute. Already had a Gottlieb King Pin which is a much better 4 Flipper game IMO. Vari-Targets are not that fun IMO as well and slows down ball speed quite a bit. Keep your King Pin and move along, move along, nothing to see here.

It's not a bad game by any means, and a good one for a large collection. If you want a baseball game go buy yourself a Pitch and Bat.

#3 5 years ago

By far the best of the baseball wedgeheads. A lot easy to beat, but still great fun and a has a bell in addition to chimes. I just skip the vai ta gets and go for the drops. Way more fun than a pitch and bat will ever be.

#4 5 years ago

Big Hit is a fun game, I remember playing it on location when it came out back in the 70s. IMHO, much more fun that a pitch and bat. i happen to like vari targets and it was a rush when you could hit it well enough to push it all the way back. I liked Big Hit well enough to buy it when I found a nice one, then sold it off after a few years of playing. King Pin is fun, too. My friends and I would win lots of free games on that one.

#5 5 years ago

I've played it a couple times. It's a fun game however is kind of easy. In a big collection it would be a good addition. However in a small collection I think it would get old.

#6 5 years ago

An interesting game but I was always wondering
Why there were batters in the outfield.

#7 5 years ago

What a great Gottlieb Baseball themed game designed by Ed Krynski with art by Gordon Morison. The art referenced Chicago's Comiskey Park (two years prior to Disco Demolition) and the recently completed Sears Tower in the background.

While Gottlieb's original plant was only seven miles away from Comiskey, in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, They had moved several years earlier to suburban Northlake.

#8 5 years ago

Looks like it would fit well in your collection. Just sold one that's getting shipped out east.

#9 5 years ago

I love my Big Hit. Using the upper and lower flippers to mow the drops down is fun. Hitting the homer in the upper right and upper left is a satisfying shot. It’s also fun to play for runs instead of points as it changes the strategy slightly. Great game. I looked at a lot of baseball themed games before I decided on this one. It’s fun.

#10 5 years ago

Great game! Hitting the home run rollover with a bottom flipper and then hitting the opposite home run rollover right after with the top flipper is one of my favorite shots

194088F3-FA60-4D54-9462-72BE8D954EBA (resized).jpeg194088F3-FA60-4D54-9462-72BE8D954EBA (resized).jpeg
#11 5 years ago

I actually like Nicovolta's review on IPDB: https://www.ipdb.org/rate/showrate.pl?gid=253 Good ratings of all the Gottlieb EM Baseball Pinballs.

I have owned Playball and Baseball before, but now have Batter Up. I prefer Batter Up as it is an Add-A-Ball and has the fun of the Vari-targets not next to the bumpers. But it's a 2-inch flipper game and that divides some people.

#12 5 years ago

I like Big Hit. Four flippers, and resets, gives variety from my other wedge heads.
I see you have Golden Arrow on your wtb list.
These two games may have the furthest drop target / spinner shots out there.

E3AF2DD7-21F4-40D1-988E-396A72B1DDD1 (resized).jpegE3AF2DD7-21F4-40D1-988E-396A72B1DDD1 (resized).jpeg
#13 5 years ago

Thanks guys! I pulled the trigger and bought it last night. It will get the restoration treatment this spring!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Covington, LA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-gottlieb-big-hit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.