5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jwilson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I thought it would be fun to have a one day, single game tournament on my custom "Hot Rod" machine as a sort of coming out party, so I’m looking for suggestions on a format that would work. I asked the folks over at Tilt Forums what they thought and one of them suggested the "Pinball! Pinball! Pinball!" format used in Japan.

It's Head-to-head match play. At the end of each game, the winner gets one point. The loser stays at the game unless they’ve lost twice in a row, in which case the winner stays. The guy staying on the game plays in the same position (Player 1 or Player 2) as they were for the previous game. First guy from the queue comes and plays that player, the guy that left the game goes to the back of the line and records the win and loss on a master list. After a set time (3 hours in the example) the person with the most points wins.

I think this format would work well within my constraints - the venue in question is our local pinball bar and they're offering up the location for free as long as it's a Thursday night, since that's their least busy night. So a limit time format works so everyone can get out at a reasonable hour since it's a work night. Also, my game is a converted EM machine and games are brutally short, so there will be a lot of quick turnover.

I think an hour of play, with a small break for food, then another hour would work, and with a small modification - a last head-to-head between the two highest scorers for first and second place and the associated prizes. I just like the idea of a last-ditch nail biter.

$20 covers entry and food/snacks for the night and goes towards the prize pool. The place has a capacity of 40 people max.

The next question is, would it be worthwhile to list as an IFPA event? I'm not sure I'd have much trouble getting people out but having points might bring out people that wouldn't normally come.

Opinions?

#2 5 years ago

If you can get max TGP from the format it might be worth the money to have it sanctioned. I don't know how they score ppp for TGP but generally two hours of play won't get you to 26+ meaningful games played for the winner.

#3 5 years ago

Honestly, game time per player on my machine is under a minute. I could extend the game time to maybe two 90-minute sessions to maximize time, but then it's getting late.

Not sure how important points will be - just thinking about it as another incentive for those who care.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-format-for-single-game-tournament and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.