(Topic ID: 112731)

Opinions on Collectors Quality

By balboarules

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-07-05_17-37-00_459_zpsfc46a484.jpg
    DSC01675.JPG
    DSC01676.JPG
    DSC01671.JPG
    DSC01674.JPG
    DSC01672.JPG
    DSC01673.JPG
    There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago

The pictures I posted were ones I took, they were never sent over or shown in the description.

#102 9 years ago

Only one finite description IMO: NIB. All other descriptions/categories are entirely arbitrary.

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Most pinsiders seem to assume

You know what they say about assuming don't you?

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

Only one finite description IMO: NIB. All other descriptions/categories are entirely arbitrary.

Right...Unless the box fell of a truck before you buy it.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You know what they say about assuming don't you?

Ugh, does someone have to say that every time anyone uses that word?

#106 9 years ago

"Collector Quality" is a nice-sounding but vague term used to make you want to buy the game, as are "mint", "huo", "must see", etc. Someone mentioned standardization of terms, but how can you standardize something that is really just an opinion? When I was into musclecars I once went to look at a '71 Mustang that was described as "mint", and the first thing I noticed was a rot hole on the top of the front fender that I could poke three fingers through.

Ambiguous terms in describing something for sale are useless. You want to describe a pin for sale, here are some non-ambiguous terms that would leave very little to my imagination:

"backglass is perfect, no scratches or blemishes, like brand new."
    "dime-sized wear spot down to wood near left slingshot, some wear around inserts"
    "everything works except flippers are weak and need a rebuild."
    "cabinet repainted and restenciled but backbox has since been scratched on left side."

EDIT: even NIB is a vague term. It's new, it's in a box, but that's about it; batteries may still have leaked, inserts sunk, etc. This is why even brand new cars get a dealer prep.

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Ugh, does someone have to say that every time anyone uses that word?

Does somebody have to keep using "that" word?

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Does somebody have to keep using "that" word?

There's nothing wrong with the word "assume". It's a perfectly useful word to describe people's expectations. But the "you make an ass of you and me" thing is like the "HOT ENOUGH FOR YA??" of snarky internet posts.

#109 9 years ago

Lesson learned. Do not quote Pezpunk...donot quotepezpunk...dntqutepzpnk..forgetit.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Right...Unless the box fell of a truck before you buy it.

or the ever dreaded, but real... fork-lift whack-a-pin during delivery process.

#111 9 years ago

Here are the "IMPLIED" conditions:

Collector Quality - "Better than NIB" (Recent HEP's are a prime example).

NIB - "Self Explanatory"

Mint - "You could have just slid it out of the box yourself....same condition as NIB"

Restored HUO - "Never routed and everything has been cleaned/replaced/fixed. Not quite CQ but way better than average HUO".

HUO - " Never routed - Excellent Overall Condition, may have minor ding,scratch or crack, working 100%"

Players - "May have various cosmetic issues and some playfield wear/cracked plastics, but plays 100%, most likely been routed."

Project - "Needs major restorative work on body/playfield. Not fully functioning."

Fire wood - "May be used as kindling"

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

sadly, i have a couple that would be described explicitly as that....

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

NIB - "Self Explanatory"
    Mint - "You could have just slid it out of the box yourself....same condition as NIB"
    Restored HUO - "Never routed and everything has been cleaned/replaced/fixed. Not quite CQ but way better than average HUO".
    HUO - " Never routed - Excellent Overall Condition, may have minor ding,scratch or crack, working 100%"
    Players - "May have various cosmetic issues and some playfield wear/cracked plastics, but plays 100%, most likely been routed."
    Project - "Needs major restorative work on body/playfield. Not fully functioning."

This is a decent list but HUO is more a statement of history rather than current condition. HUO for newer Sterns/JJP only a few years old can certainly imply nice condition, but certainly less of a guarantee for decades-old games. In fact I've seen and owned routed games nicer than HUO, and even fully restored games can become players quality in just a few years. Current condition is a better indicator than history, and as such the only terms most people agree on are "mint"/NIB/CQ and "players quality".... finding common terms in-between is much tougher.

#114 9 years ago

My thoughts on 'outing'....even if seller or whomever is wrong, there are still the good ol' boys(or girls)who will come out and defend him/her. Always avoid the drama but one time on RGP I felt I had to post a deal/promise gone wrong. Lots of yay me posts but also the ones who come out to defend 'bad' seller.....also got a lot of private emails 'defending' me but didn't want to post publicly as they didn't want to be known.

What ever you decide, best of luck to you and hopefully you can make the game what it should have been and enjoy. When I have gotten games that weren't as described I made them the best I could but never held onto them as it kinda' left a bad taste on my flippers. ; )

#115 9 years ago

I would like to know the seller's handle so I could avoid dealing with them in the future.

When a pedophile moves into your neighborhood you sure want to know about it. If a cop stopped by just to let you know there was one around, good luck finding out who it is, you'd want answers.

You have let us know there's an undesirable in our midst, but wont give us the information to protect ourselves. I think you are obligated to name him, since you brought it to the public's attention.

IMO!

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

This is a decent list but HUO is more a statement of history rather than current condition. HUO for newer Sterns/JJP only a few years old can certainly imply nice condition, but certainly less of a guarantee for decades-old games. In fact I've seen and owned routed games nicer than HUO, and even fully restored games can become players quality in just a few years. Current condition is a better indicator than history, and as such the only terms most people agree on are "mint"/NIB/CQ and "players quality".... finding common terms in-between is much tougher.

HUO has a dual-use. Just like where the term "routed" came from--the pin was on a "route", which might or might not actually be where it actually was. It's just a common way to try to describe the overall condition.

#117 9 years ago

a CQ game to me is one thats cond will be in the top 5% of that tittle still in existence.
    i focus more on HQ "hoarders quality" and there in the bottom 5%.

#118 9 years ago

I'm late to the game, Out him!

#119 9 years ago

For me, collector quality means the guy is asking more than I'm willing to pay for a particular title.

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

a CQ game to me is one thats cond will be in the top 5% of that tittle still in existence.

A CQ game for me can be one of the last 5% of a particular title left in existence.

#121 9 years ago

Look at the final product of this restoration: this is "Collector Quality" in my book:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-tng-next-chapter

FYI - I cannot afford Collector Quality pins!

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

That is an arbitrary term, but in the vernacular of collecting, appraisers generally use the term to describe well above average, stellar examples of items that almost all collectors would want, and would likely "overpay" to acquire it.
    Based on your description, you didn't get close to that.
    IMO!

Exactly.

#123 9 years ago

What I got is not CQ, but I have made enough repairs on it, that it now plays great, and looks very good, except the back as show in the pictures, and at least I did not over pay for it.. after a few back and forth emails with the seller, he is still blaming me and saying I am too picky.. what can you do, it could have been a lot worse, and now the game is playing great, and I was able to do an old trick I have to make the ramp solid.. last time I take someone's word on condition, lesson learned that I have learned in the past anyway, but like I said, I did not overpay, and was able to fix most of the issues.. just have to figure out that sound thing.

Thanks for the input.

#124 9 years ago

That cabinet looks bad. I don't even need to see anything else to know that the game was routed. Not HUO, not CQ, not 10 out of 10 mint. None of them. Although, you could fix those cabinet chunks missing fairly easily, the seller mislead you and I would love to know who it is so I never deal with him/her.

As a rule, I never buy games I can't see and pick up in person. Nothing is so cool (to me) to risk what may happen in shipping or, taking someone's work as good (i.e. informed) in the pinball hobby.

#125 9 years ago

Don't get me wrong...I don't condone the seller - he should have NEVER used the term Collector Quality. I just don't think he knows what "Collector Quality" means, and to him those issues were not severe and he saw it as a super nice machine (to him, it was collector quality). Again, I think the price reflects the condition, and having met the seller I don't think he intentionally was being deceptive, but just ignorant to our picky terminology.

#126 9 years ago

I am not happy with the way the seller handled the other issues once I brought them to his attention.. I do not feel it was bad enough to "out" him as a bad seller, my biggest issue was really the broken ramp, but as I said, I have an old trick I developed when the Dredd ramps were broken that worked perfect again for where the ramp was broken, and now it stays in place nice and solid.. but him telling me it was my fault not his, and I am too picky.. that part I really did not care for..

But in the end, price was good, and machine is running great now, so all is well..

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

NIB - "Self Explanatory"

Again everybody has their own tastes on this stuff.

I'll NEVER advertise a game as "players" as I think it undersells it. I might post that in a WTB ad though because I know what people generally think of it. I think there's a pretty big window between "players" and "HUO," though obviously the pickier people here don't.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

NIB - "Self Explanatory"

You're missing the games that may have been routed, or their history is unknown, but are in excellent original condition. These can be in better (sometimes much better) condition than games that are home use only. Lots of times the home use only games have never been cleaned or serviced. Compare that to a game that was on location for a few months, was not abused, was rarely played, and then stored. I'd go for the "routed" game in better condition over the HUO that's been played more and never serviced.

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

You're missing the games that may have been routed, or their history is unknown, but are in excellent original condition. These can be in better (sometimes much better) condition than games that are home use only. Lots of times the home use only games have never been cleaned or serviced. Compare that to a game that was on location for a few months, was not abused, was rarely played, and then stored. I'd go for the "routed" game in better condition over the HUO that's been played more and never serviced.

I understand what you are saying here but let's be honest. Regarding the "pre Stern days of pinball machines", I would guess that the % of buyers that bought NEW IN BOX pins to "only play them in their own homes" was certainly < 10% of all total manufacturer's sales. Pre-2000 HUO pinball games are harder to find than the same title NIB a lot of times.

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I understand what you are saying here but let's be honest. Regarding the "pre Stern days of pinball machines", I would guess that the % of buyers that bought NEW IN BOX pins to "only play them in their own homes" was certainly < 10% of all total manufacturer's sales. Pre-2000 HUO pinball games are harder to find than the same title NIB a lot of times.

I've seen HUO pre-2000 games around and they are rare, but the point I was making is that just because they are HUO does not mean that they are in better condition than a "routed" game. I have seen "routed" games that are in fantastic shape with obviously low plays. I have seen HUO games that were played 1000s of times, have playfield wear, were abused by kids, never cleaned, never had replacement rubbers, etc. Some "routed" games sat in the corner of somebody's shop and never got heavy play. Some routed games got put in an arcade for a few months and then sit in storage, unplayed after that.

I just think that HUO is more of a hint that you could have a really nice machine, but that's about it. Frankly, HUO games can just about run the same variations in condition that any non-HUO game has. All it means to me is a better chance that the game will be nice, and maybe a warm fuzzy feeling.

Because of the above HUO is not a good term to describe condition.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I've seen HUO pre-2000 games around and they are rare, but the point I was making is that just because they are HUO does not mean that they are in better condition than a "routed" game. I have seen "routed" games that are in fantastic shape with obviously low plays. I have seen HUO games that were played 1000s of times, have playfield wear, were abused by kids, never cleaned, never had replacement rubbers, etc. Some "routed" games sat in the corner of somebody's shop and never got heavy play. Some routed games got put in an arcade for a few months and then sit in storage, unplayed after that.
    I just think that HUO is more of a hint that you could have a really nice machine, but that's about it. Frankly, HUO games can just about run the same variations in condition that any non-HUO game has. All it means to me is a better chance that the game will be nice, and maybe a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Because of the above HUO is not a good term to describe condition.

Seriously man it's AMAZING how many people here don't get this. Well said

#132 9 years ago

What we need is a company that will standardize condition and then provide inspection and appraisal services with a guarantee. Similar to CGC for comics, or auto appraisals.

So, the company would send someone to look at the game to rate it (or have local people certified to act as appraisers for the company) and then provide a certificate for that condition valid for a set period or until the game is sold / changes hands and maintaining an ownership paper trail. Providence, essentially.

Sounds like a terribly unprofitable business given the size of the collection community though!

#133 9 years ago

ORIGINAL, WELL MAINTAINED and UNRESTORED condition. scratches, wear, bumps are accepted.

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

When I was into musclecars I once went to look at a '71 Mustang that was described as "mint"

71 Mustang is not a "muscle car"

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from Elvisinmypants:

When it's a 429 Cobra Jet Mach 1 it sure as hell is.

#136 9 years ago

Do tell

Must be thinking 1981?

#137 9 years ago

Mustang was actually a "pony car". But we've been here before....

#138 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Mustang was actually a "pony car". But we've been here before....

The first search I did on the internet told me "Can Pony Cars be Muscle Cars? Absolutely."
    That's all that's needed to be considered a fact these days."

#139 9 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

When it's a 429 Cobra Jet Mach 1 it sure as hell is.

You got me, a heavy dog of one at 375hp and 3300 pounds

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Can Pony Cars be Muscle Cars? Absolutely."

It is true. But even with that the muscle car era came to an end after 1970 when compression ratios and HP dropped dramatically. That is debatable too, when compared to cars that came later.

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The first search I did on the internet told me "Can Pony Cars be Muscle Cars? Absolutely."
    That's all that's needed to be considered a fact these days."

I by no means imply that there aren't mustangs that are muscle cars, just not between 1970 and 1985

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It is true. But even with that the muscle car era came to an end after 1970

Gotcha.

I by no means imply that there aren't mustangs that are muscle cars, just not between 1970 and 1985

I was just responding to o-din's post.

#143 9 years ago

Truth is on the internet it seems that there is no true timeline to the end of the era. Some say 1973. But it was always 1970 that was the last year of the real monsters.

#144 9 years ago

I think HUO means home use only, not gently routed and then used in a home. I also believe NOS means new old stock, not removed from a machine and stored a long time. These terms are as certain as the words that make them.

#145 9 years ago

I think HUO means home use only, not gently routed and then used in a home. These terms are as certain as the words that make them.

Yes one would think that...but in reality doesn't work that way

#146 9 years ago

I also believe NOS means new old stock,

You mean not nitrous oxide?

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Truth is on the internet it seems that there is no true timeline to the end of the era. Some say 1973. But it was always 1970 that was the last year of the real monsters.

1970 was the start of an incremental decline in power, the 1970 LS6 Chevelle and the Stage III GSX had won the horsepower contest and ruined it for everyone. There is much debate to the end and the switch from gross to net hp ratings adds confusion but, in 1974 a 455 Trans Am had 250HP and by 1978 the fastest American vehicle produced was the 225hp 360 Lill red Express Dodge pickup, it only existed through an emission law exemption. In 1985 the H.O. 5.0 Mustang was 210 h.p. .
    If I would be afraid to race it in street trim, with a 85 5.0 H.O. 4speed Mustang it may well be, a Muscle car.

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You mean not nitrous oxide?

That is N.O.S. (Nitrous Oxide Systems) a brand name, you know that though.

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes one would think that...but in reality doesn't work that way

In reality, the true meaning of words, have to be accepted or, we are just bumbling in unreal fantasy land. We can't just apply word and terms that are commonly used and convenient, but untrue. Either a machine was only used in a home, or homes or it was not. It may have been stored carelessly, moved frequently and carelessly but it it was only used in a home, it is then Home use only. If it was purchased NIB used in a Bar for 30 days then taken home it is not HUO. Only means only or we have nothing as a society.

#150 9 years ago

If it involves a Demolition Man, it needs to have the seal of approval from 9 out of 10 pinsiders after they have had the chance to inspect Stallone's junk.

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-collectors-quality/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.