(Topic ID: 112731)

Opinions on Collectors Quality

By balboarules

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-07-05_17-37-00_459_zpsfc46a484.jpg
    DSC01675.JPG
    DSC01676.JPG
    DSC01671.JPG
    DSC01674.JPG
    DSC01672.JPG
    DSC01673.JPG
    There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 9 years ago

I think you should out him! If you care about all the others on this site, I for one do not want to deal with someone that purposefully omits and takes advantage of another. After all that is what ultimately this community is for!

#52 9 years ago

I looked at getting that machine also and noticed in the pics that certain area's were cut off on alot of the pics and asked seller for more but they said that theres nothing else to show and this is a steal at the price . Well something just didnt feel right so I just forgot about it it

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

create a set of standards, and then submit it to these folks...
    http://www.iso.org/iso/home.html
    otherwise, you are just making noise with your "harping"... you aren't telling anyone something they don't already know...

No can do señior!! I personally don't give two terds if someone chooses to make a stupid purchase decision based off a community of gaming nerds who can't agree amongst each other as to what their terms mean. I just choose to chuckle and read about other peoples stories/mishaps instead.

#54 9 years ago

hmmm ok now two people are saying that he purposefully left out all those damage pics, out him please! I don't want to have to deal with these types in our community!

#55 9 years ago

I have seen machines that I would consider collector quality even though there was slight playfield wear and cabinets had some dings.
    But I wouldn't know what else to call a 50+ year old machine that only looked 5 years old. Especially if it was the nicest example still in existence.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Giardiasis:

No can do señior!! I personally don't give two terds if someone chooses to make a stupid purchase decision based off a community of gaming nerds who can't agree amongst each other as to what their terms mean. I just choose to chuckle and read about other peoples stories instead.

Well heres one person not to buy from. Make note to self.

#58 9 years ago

I call the pics 'creative photography' on the sellers part...and its a doggone shame besides what I would say is lying about description. Happened to me w/a Bally All Star Bowler I got years ago...then was promised partial refund....God bless you...etc for over a year and nothing ever happened. Seems everybody's definition of CQ and restored condition has a wide variety of meaning.

Just happened recently w/a vintage drum set. Seller had good reputation. I called and spoke 'live' with seller...asked questions...got pics etc.(slightly creative)Seller 'doing this' for 30 years. Described as normal wear and tear for a 40+ year old kit. Rec kit and what a joke...wrap was damaged...wrong parts etc. Seller claims he didn't know. So what can you do in that case? Do they really not know or think they got away w/something. Luckily seller took it back as in communication had said "I'm sure you'll love this kit and if not I'll take it back but I was out some money to ship back and had to wait to get refunded...seems part of the chance you take.

I would also state who seller is so for any future potential buyers of pins from said seller could proceed w/caution if at all.

Best of luck to you balboarules

P.s. I think you helped me move a Fun House out of sellers basement years ago...which wasn't fun!

#59 9 years ago

CQ should mean a flawless game. However while the game was misrepresented, it doesn't appear you paid a true CQ price so chalk it up to a learning experience.

#60 9 years ago

I may still have our emails but it was a while ago when the price was 2600 I believe and thought that was a good deal if it's really mint but something just wasn't right . I didn't get a good feeling like I do with other purchases so I didn't even waste my time driving 6 hour round trip

#61 9 years ago

Overall with the price paid, I am not upset really.. I am just disappointed in the description, but I am really disappointed in the way the seller has responded, I did not ask him for anything in my emails, I just pointed out the issues and asked him how he considered this collectors quality..

If I post who it was, are there going to be people trashing me for posting part of the response email he sent?

So far, from what I can tell, everyone wants the seller to be reviled, but I did not start this post for that reason, I wanted to see if I was out of line in not believing this to be a machine that was as described.

#62 9 years ago

I've alwas struggled with the concept personally.

A "perfect" game is pretty much impossible as far as I'm concerned. It would mean (a) fully restored (since even new games come with blemishes) (b) unplayed or vitually unplayed (since even a low amount of plays will cause some wear), and (c) absolutely no damage from transport and assembly. I really can't see that many games falling into this category.

I presume that most games accurately labeled as "collector quality" have some minor imperfections, and have been played, but not much. No significant wear and no damage beyond very minor things seems like the more realisitic definintion.

Most games listed as "collector quality" don't seem to even meet the more relaxed definition.

I don't get the idea of buying a game and not playing it anyway. If I bought a collector quality game, it would not be that way for very long since you can bet I'd put a few thousand plays on it.

#63 9 years ago

It's only my opinion, man..... But, 2300 if the game only has cosmetic issues around the back outside of the cab is still a really good deal on that title.

Sucks he was calling it CQ and did some creative photography.. that blows... But yea... Price wasn't too bad in all honesty.

#64 9 years ago

Actually this is a good sign. It now looks like all my games are 'Collector Quality.' In some cases..even better!

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

It's only my opinion, man..... But, 2300 if the game only has cosmetic issues around the back outside of the cab is still a really good deal on that title.
    Sucks he was calling in CQ... But yea... Price wasn't too bad in all honesty.

No, there was the broken target you cannot get anywhere in that color, the sound issue, the broken back ramp, a screw missing in the VUK switch, the topper in the picture was not included (but when I asked he offered to mail it to me) the point there was it was removed without telling me, and the cabinet issues, plus every insert was dirty and needed to be cleaned, also a spring missing on the middle flipper and every sponge behind the targets needs to be replaced as they are all beat to hell.

As I said, I have fixed most of them, and I am not unhappy with the machine NOW, I am lucky I can work on them, and that I had an old trick I used for the ramp, otherwise I would have been screwed there, as when a ball hit the ramp, the entire ramp moved backwards..

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Earlier in the thread he says he has a broken ramp that isn't re-produced.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Sucks he was calling it CQ and did some creative photography.. that blows... But yea... Price wasn't too bad in all honesty.

I agree with this....he clearly misrepresented the condition.....but really his price was not way out of line for the actual condition.

$2300 is not what I would call the CQ price anyway.

#68 9 years ago

Another pinsider went to look at it before looking at my TSPP. I'm curious if he saw the issues too.

#69 9 years ago

Sorry you got Choggarded dude...

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

So far, from what I can tell, everyone wants the seller to be reviled, but I did not start this post for that reason,

Uh huh.

That's why you've made about 5 posts begging for a "consensus" to out the guy.

No horse in this race but if you are gonna out the guy, "own it," don't do it because you think you have the support of the mob (who never, in the history of the internet, has opposed "outing" anyone or anything.)

#71 9 years ago

Really sorry to hear this Balboa. I don't know him but I certainly know not to deal with him. He was deceptive in the transaction for sure. Is he on here?

#72 9 years ago

I think I saw this game. I don't remember seeing the broken ramp, but I may have just missed it. The sound issue (crackling speakers) when you first turn it on was not in any of the descriptions, but I got to experience it first hand...right then and there I knew his "Collector Quality" claim was bunk.

As other have said, most of us have been a part of bad deals where pins were not as described. I got screwed with a TAF that had so much wear and a mansion decal that the seller never even told me about. Lost money on that one...

Collector Quality is such a BS term anyhow. It means different things to different people. I am a collector, but my quality is some minor blemishes don't bother me.

Definitely not "collector quality" but in my opinion was a fair price at $2300. The guy selling it seemed like a nice guy to me. Sorry that he has not been kind to deal with post sale...

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Sorry you got Choggarded dude...

It kinda had that smell to it. I hope it wasnt him.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

No, there was the broken target you cannot get anywhere in that color, the sound issue, the broken back ramp, a screw missing in the VUK switch, the topper in the picture was not included (but when I asked he offered to mail it to me) the point there was it was removed without telling me, and the cabinet issues, plus every insert was dirty and needed to be cleaned, also a spring missing on the middle flipper and every sponge behind the targets needs to be replaced as they are all beat to hell.
    As I said, I have fixed most of them, and I am not unhappy with the machine NOW, I am lucky I can work on them, and that I had an old trick I used for the ramp, otherwise I would have been screwed there, as when a ball hit the ramp, the entire ramp moved backwards..

Ok... Damn. I'm sorry for posting without being better informed. I traded a players condition Funhouse for an exceptionally nice Batman Forever - and I thought the trade to be equitable.

I agree that it seems you got "chogardded", but I guess my point is, you aren't out too terribly bad in the grand scheme of things. Being able to fix these issues yourself sure did help, but it would have really sucked for someone who couldn't to have been stuck with this machine.

I don't disagree that this guy should be "outed".

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Don't have the old emails, as I deleted them and cleaned out the trash folder.. and the ad is pulled from market.

I can't understand why you would clean out emails like this in a day of limitless storage.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I can't understand why you would clean out emails like this in a day of limitless storage.

I have every email I've ever sent or received in my gmail account since the day I started it many, many years ago.... I'm pretty much always at 40% capacity.

#77 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Uh huh.
    That's why you've made about 5 posts begging for a "consensus" to out the guy.
    No horse in this race but if you are gonna out the guy, "own it," don't do it because you think you have the support of the mob (who never, in the history of the internet, has opposed "outing" anyone or anything.)

Begging??? Seriously LEVI?? I don't want to post something then get trashed for posting it..

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Habit..

#79 9 years ago

He was a nice guy, he just has handled this whole situation poorly..

#80 9 years ago

People wanted me to out someone once, and maybe I should have, but I decided against it. I figured it was between me and the guy who wronged me and I didn't need to make a spectacle.

The guy you bought the BF doesn't seem to be active enough that outing him would do much good.

#81 9 years ago

So can we all agree the issues in the pictures provided shouldnt be on a QC pin?

#82 9 years ago

Not going to out him.. did not come here to do that, despite what Levi thinks, I wanted opinions on the CQ part.. I did not spin the thread that way, others brought that up.

#83 9 years ago

So here it is:

Collector Quality Condition -- Condition in which most collectors would be happy with.

Condition in which most collectors would be happy with -- An existing machine in a collector's lineup providing personal or party entertainment any given night.

Don't forget, this merchandise is FUNCTIONAL. Don't let the eye-candy factor interfere with the total enjoyment package! Many have said my collection is, "Very nice." Had I've been asked, I'd be the first to tell you there are flaws in every game, and haven't bothered to correct them in years. For the price of an occasional cleaning and rubber, I couldn't tell you how many hours of fun my family and friends have received. I'm sure many others could say the same thing, so where then do you draw the line between enjoyment and preservation?

If condition is so important, why aren't more of you guys buying NIB? We're not talking Ferrari's.......

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Begging??? Seriously LEVI?? I don't want to post something then get trashed for posting it..

You clearly want to out him. So why do you need our approval?

Besides, did you really think anybody here would say, "naw, we don't want to hear who it is." This place LIVES for drama.

besides, I've been trashed by people here before it ain't the worst thing in the world. Do what you want, bro.

And yeah, CQ is a very vague term but to me it means "super super nice." I've never bought a game advertised as such though so I don't know the joy or disappointment.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from Boatcat:

If condition is so important, why aren't more of you guys buying NIB? We're not talking Ferrari's.......

Ohhhh I'm sure there's one or two reasons out there.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

besides, I've been trashed by people here before it ain't the worst thing in the world.

Even you Levi?

#86 9 years ago

Levi, I have never said a bad word about you.. and if I wanted him out, I would have just put it out.

#87 9 years ago

If you've never pissed anybody off here or on RGP you aren't doing it right.

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ohhhh I'm sure there's one or two reasons out there.

Even you Levi?

I'm so glad I can't see Levi's comments anymore. My imagination is running wild on what dumb thing he said.

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Levi, I have never said a bad word about you.. and if I wanted him out, I would have just put it out.

OK man I can dig it. Not sayin a bad word about you you are cool it just seemed like you were dancing around this one. I think it's good that you took the high road personally. The guy probably should have just offered you a couple hundred bucks but maybe you'll at least get that apology.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

To me, HUO is an even more ambiguous term than collector quality. Even if a game is documented HUO, that doesn't mean it's in great condition. I have a friend with a HUO Paragon. I know for a fact that it's HUO, since his dad bought it NIB back in the early 80's. That game was played so much over the years that the playfield is beat to shit.

HUO isn't a condition, it's a description of its history (and often a dubious one, sure).

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you've never pissed anybody off here or on RGP you aren't doing it right.

Oh, I never said that... hell on RGP I had SEVERAL battles, that is why I swore to take a stance and not be part of any of that.. and have done great with it.. in the past I would have posted this guys name, and all info..

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK man I can dig it. Not sayin a bad word about you you are cool it just seemed like you were dancing around this one. I think it's good that you took the high road personally. The guy probably should have just offered you a couple hundred bucks but maybe you'll at least get that apology.

You know, that is all I really wanted, was for the seller to say, I should have mentioned those issues and I am sorry, if there is anything I can do, let me know....

And honestly, I would have been fine with that, but to try to turn it around and put the blame on me.. just not cool.

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from Boatcat:

Congrats, this is easily one of the stupidest things I've read on this forum.

And I've read about 90% of Kaneda's posts

#94 9 years ago

i wonder if there's terms/standards in the "coin collector" market that we can draw from for pinball?

wow... look at this level of detail they use:
    http://www.pcgs.com/grades/

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from Boatcat:

So here it is:
    Collector Quality Condition -- Condition in which most collectors would be happy with.
    Condition in which most collectors would be happy with -- An existing machine in a collector's lineup providing personal or party entertainment any given night.
    Don't forget, this merchandise is FUNCTIONAL. Don't let the eye-candy factor interfere with the total enjoyment package! Many have said my collection is, "Very nice." Had I've been asked, I'd be the first to tell you there are flaws in every game, and haven't bothered to correct them in years. For the price of an occasional cleaning and rubber, I couldn't tell you how many hours of fun my family and friends have received. I'm sure many others could say the same thing, so where then do you draw the line between enjoyment and preservation?

i don't think you are using the same definition of "Collector Quality" as the majority here. Most pinsiders seem to assume Collector Quality means "without flaw, both cosmetically and mechanically", somewhere equal to or above mint condition, which is pretty different from what you are saying.

#96 9 years ago

I'd say Collector Quality is like the "over-restored" grade in cars. That's where the car is rebuilt using reproduction parts that are of higher quality, and the assembly and painting is done to a standard far above factory.

So, only something that has been restored by a collector to better-than-new standards would qualify.

In decreasing order:

Collector Quality -> NIB -> Restored HUO -> HUO -> Shopped -> Routed -> Parts

#97 9 years ago

again, i don't think HUO is a condition, it's just a description of where it's been. a HUO game could be great or it could be trashed. it's not really part of the condition scale in my opinion.

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Not going to out him.. did not come here to do that, despite what Levi thinks, I wanted opinions on the CQ part.. I did not spin the thread that way, others brought that up.

In my opinion, you have a certain responsibility to "out" him. Whether it's conscious or not, dealing with Pinsiders (maybe I'm alone here) provides a certain degree of confidence and trust. When a Pinsider selling a pin breaks that trust and gets away with it (not outed) then as a whole, the community suffers. If it gets to the point that dealing with a Pinsider is no better than dealing with an eBayer then we all lose.

#99 9 years ago

look were all collectors in a way and in no terms should "collector quality" define what it should be! How can it, we all have different definitions as it is. You have a machine, you have a price, and certain quality you should expect for that price you pay. This is subjective and should be decided by seeing in person or if not possible as many pictures you can get to determine if the price is what your willing to buy it for based on your own "definitions". If someone leaves out pictures that deceives your decision on price vrs condition, then shame on them and they should be outed. It looks like here the condition does kinda match the price however still not cool holding back the pictures that might have put this price and condition in a different 'definition" to the purchaser. yea I re read makes sense!

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

again, i don't think HUO is a condition, it's just a description of where it's been. a HUO game could be great or it could be trashed. it's not really part of the condition scale in my opinion.

It's a form of the "only driven on Sundays" or "Garage-kept" conditions in that it implies that it got limited use in a controlled environment and wasn't moved around a lot to different locations.

It isn't technically correct but a HUO game is more likely to be nice vs. a routed machine.

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-collectors-quality/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.