60%
  • Meh 7 votes
    13%

(52 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RAI (resized).jpg
IMG_2824 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jitneystand1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 7 years ago

Never owned RBION, but played it enough to know it's enough stop and go and long ball times to keep me from loving it. But if that's your thing you'll probably appreciate it because there is a lot to like. I've have however owned quite a few pins (60-ish) and Avatar is among my all-time favorites. It's an unusual experience...instead of flowing all over the place it tends to feel like you are fighting the machine, constantly trying to regain control of the ball.

Initially it can be brutally hard and the 3 bank target feels strange and like a flow killer so I think a lot of people play a couple times and walk away thinking it sucks - myself included at first. In fact it's the first game I've ever bought primarily because I began to appreciate the fact that it owned me every time I played. Once you get it going it's so incredibly immersive in a way that reminds me of LOTR (it's nothing like LOTR otherwise).

Rule-wise Iron Man is probably most similar but aside from rules the only thing I feel these two share is the fact that you feel like the pin fights back. I've owned both and feel that Avatar is the far superior game, though I seem to be solidly in the minority on that. In terms of game play I feel like it's somewhat similar to Pinbot and Big Buck Hunter (two other woefully unappreciated pins) and a whole host of older pins where targets mattered more than ramps and the ball isn't conveniently delivered back to a flipper on most shots. I can definitely see why Avatar is thought of as a dog out in the wild, but at home it shines like not many others.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 18.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jitneystand1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-avatar-or-ribon?tu=jitneystand1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.