Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

astro-from-the-jetsons.png
astro roto pool christmas halloween 139.JPG
photo (101).jpg
astro roto pool christmas halloween 023.JPG
20141030_230725.jpg
#1 9 years ago

1971 Gottlieb Astro, same layout as Four Square, which seems to be a pretty well respected game for it's rules/game play. An Astro just came up locally (seller has not responded, may be gone already?), and wondered what folks think of it. I know it's rare, so many may not have ever played it. I realize this will bring in the AAb vs. replay debate again, but just based on the game itself-opinions?

#2 9 years ago

I had a 4 Square and it was a good game, not great but good. I like the art on Astro better for sure but it is an AAB so that does nothing for me so cannot comment on how the Ruleset is different, good or bad. Sold my 4 Square with no regrets.

Ken

#3 9 years ago

morning bump.

#4 9 years ago

"Astro" is a lot of fun, and a great looking game too. I played one on location back in the day. You didn't see very many of them even back then.

#5 9 years ago

I have an Astro and I agree it is a fun game. You have to light the star and trek to get the WOW features and get the extra balls. Not as easy as you would think. When you are playing well the game is so fun to play. Unfortunately I am a better restorer than player.

Steve j.

#6 9 years ago

well, i like 4 square... i wish it had the art of astro...

haven't played astro though... if it is the same realm of "fun" as 4 square, it would be worth a shot...

#7 9 years ago

One of the very few Gottlieb WOW games with small flippers and inlanes. Fun game with fantastic art.

I'd snap one up if I had the chance these are rare...rarer even than Dimension it seems.

#8 9 years ago

did you ended up getting it. I know it sold pretty quick

#9 9 years ago

4 square was the machine I owned longer than any other 15 years, due to the game play. sold it and now have astro, great looker very good game but imo 4 square wins by a nose
if 4 square had Astros art it would be a game I would of never sold.
ASTRO is one of the AAB games that rank up there with the replay games
I say get it if you can, always an easy sell if you don't like it

#10 9 years ago

Seller never replied....contacted him/her 7 hours after posted......ad still up (probably just lazy about taking it down, if it sold)

#11 9 years ago

Astro is my favorite AAB game.
In my permanent collection in my new basement.

#12 9 years ago

I'd like to see some of those not in your permanent collection.

#13 9 years ago

I emailed about it too. Great, great game. I'm assuming it's gone.

#14 9 years ago

Nope, not gone, but will be (likely not by me though). I just heard back from him, and he said he's waiting until Saturday for the first person who contacted him, to look at it........I suppose if I were that first person, I would be very thankful for his ethics here. I just told him I could view it tomm. Just wanted him to know......

#15 9 years ago

Its a member here going on Sat. So that's good

They can chime in if they want. I thought they had already picked it up.

#16 9 years ago

Well that's good, sounds like they already have a deal then? If it's sold, he should pull his ad-IMO. Back glass and play field look good from the blurry pics. I have seen CL ads with actual decent pics, why are there so many like these, where you can't really tell condition........never mind......

#17 9 years ago

Hey guys, I am the person going to pick up the Astro tomorrow. It has been on my "want list" for about five years now. Sadly, this one has a good deal of planking, some insert wear, and a broken plastic. In the seller's words, "it has never been shopped out". Because of all of the "interest" he is now set on his price which is IMO about $100 more than its worth. That being said, if I am going to overpay for a machine it may as well be this one.

I am thankful the seller is a standup guy and could wait until our two schedules could work out. I offered to go and pick it up within in an hour or two of his listing, but that was not possible on his end. I'm looking forward to getting this home, shopped out and set up next to my C37.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

good deal of planking

Obvious on the cab, but you mean on the play field as well? (did you get some better pics?) Good luck with the game, glad it's going to someone who will give it some TLC.

#19 9 years ago

100 bucks more than it is worth? for him waiting for you to pick it up is well worth the 100 IMO

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Obvious on the cab, but you mean on the play field as well? (did you get some better pics?) Good luck with the game, glad it's going to someone who will give it some TLC.

Stash, yes, a good deal of planking on the PF and I guess there is a split on the cab that I have yet to see.

Quoted from boilerman:

100 bucks more than it is worth? for him waiting for you to pick it up is well worth the 100 IMO

Well, I wouldn't say he is waiting for me. He had other folks look at it and pass as he is firm on the price. I was next in line and tomorrow is the only time he had to show it. I'm not entirely sure he would get his asking price from the community. That being said I am very grateful to be adding this one to the collection.

#21 9 years ago

I thought he was holding it for you. did not know others were passing on it.
100 still not much of a mark up IMO

no planking on my pf....

20141030_230725.jpg20141030_230725.jpg
#22 9 years ago

Wow. That's a tough title to find in that nice of condition.

#23 9 years ago

I know, it's just a tough mental price point. In a few weeks I won't think anything of it.

Wow, that is stunning! Is that aul natural or has it been touched up? The first Astro that I saw, that I fell in love with was at a friend's warehouse, Sadly the body had been smack dab underneath a hole in the roof and it sat there for fifteen years. Luckily the head and BG were off to the side and now reside in my living room at "art".

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I know, it's just a tough mental price point. In a few weeks I won't think anything of it.
Wow, that is stunning! Is that aul natural or has it been touched up? The first Astro that I saw, that I fell in love with was at a friend's warehouse, Sadly the body had been smack dab underneath a hole in the roof and it sat there for fifteen years. Luckily the head and BG were off to the side and now reside in my living room at "art".

just a little key line touched up other than that just cleaned and waxed, bg is near mint also

#25 9 years ago

Sadly I had to pass. Two broken plastics, one missing plastic, major planking, a crack/split that runs down the entire left side of the cabinet and a broken harness/connector. Also the usual ball swirls, carved initials, etc. I jut couldn't justify it.

#26 9 years ago

I had him send me some photos but the playfield was rough and I was just hoping to find a perfect playfield to swap into mine, though overall, my playfield is probably an 8 plus.

I paid $550 for mine and the whole front of the cabinet was rotted and delaminated and had to be completed restored. One of these days when I have some time I'll post it in the restoration section, but for now, here's a quick before and after.
astro roto pool christmas halloween 023.JPGastro roto pool christmas halloween 023.JPGastro roto pool christmas halloween 139.JPGastro roto pool christmas halloween 139.JPGphoto (101).jpgphoto (101).jpg

#27 9 years ago

what was his asking price?

#28 9 years ago

$550. Both of the big top plastics were shot and held together with tape, one of the smaller ones was replaced by plexiglass. The connector was broken with solder fixes. The left side of the cab has a split down the entire side. There was significant planking, swirls, sunken inserts...

I just couldn't do it. It was too much for me at that price.

#29 9 years ago

At that buy in I just felt handcuffed at what I could put into it

#30 9 years ago

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I saw detailed photos of it and that playfield was beat. It would be a major effort to restore that playfield properly, and it sounds like the cabinet needs to be redone as well.

Sometimes you're better to just walk away. If I've learned anything collecting machines, it's that there's (almost) always another one out there if you're patient.

#31 9 years ago

The pics he sent me of the playfield only told about 1/4 of the story. It was much worse in person. More planking, a second broken plastic...

#32 9 years ago

Well someone bought it...........just got an email from him letting me know. (can't fault him for being good with the email) Kinda glad it worked out as it did. I probably would have been disappointed as well with all the defects that were not readily apparent from the initial pics. Saved the gas/time. Keep looking Nerdygirl.

#33 9 years ago

Oh damn I was kind of hoping you had snagged it. I got the same email last night. The seller was a great dude. Just not a collector. So, if you plug it in and it plays, well hey. I would have loved to have tried and saved it. That price point for me made it hard to do so.

It wasn't a bad day except for the near white out conditions that set in half way to his place. He is 15 minutes from New England Brewing Company and 25 from Two Roads Brewing. I also got an invite from a CT collector to come and check out his collection while I was there which was awesome. So a pretty awesome day.

#34 9 years ago

"Opinions on Astro?"

Great Dog!

Ken

astro-from-the-jetsons.pngastro-from-the-jetsons.png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Holton, MI
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-astro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.