(Topic ID: 110221)

Opinions on a Gottlieb Dimension (and a few more)

By the96stang

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jrb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141202_215304.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Im looking for opinions on a gottlieb dimension. Gameplay? Looks? Lastability in a more modern collection? (I loved pop a card, how will this compare)

I also have the same questions for a williams wild card and a game plan sharp shooter (I know that last one isnt an EM.)

#2 9 years ago

Most people think Dimension is better than 2001. I am a Replay person so I prefer 2001. But 2001 is certainly one of the better 2" flipper wedge heads out there.

As I recall, Wild Card was WMS last EM ever made. So it has that going for it. Many of the late model WMS EMs were fast and fun. Never personally played one so I can't tell you first hand. It looks like it might be an okay game but I wouldn't get overly excited about it.

Sharp Shooter - Designed by Roger Sharpe so it has that going for it. Very fun for its time. A pretty good rip off of two popular layouts (Gott. Sky Jump and WMS. Pat Hand). Fun for its time but will get boring pretty quickly. If its dead, beware of battery acid damage - unless the remakes are back out there, can be hard to find a replacement CPU.

#3 9 years ago

Love Dimension.(AAB guy) You get all 4 bullseye targets lit(all targets down) and it can sound like machine gun fire of free balls if you hit them! Pop A Card has a lot more ball roll time because of the 'open' pf. I repainted 2 Dimension cabs w/full restore. I like the artwork/webbing. Fun game that keeps you coming back for more. Just my 2 cents.

Don't know about the other 2 games you list.

#4 9 years ago

Love dimension. Got 2 may have 1 for sale soon.

#5 9 years ago

I have played WMS Wild Card at PPM in Alameda CA, and i would say it is an above average
playing EM pin from that era. Though i like Dimension better.

#6 9 years ago

Like 2001 better than Dimension. Dimension is way too easy. For example, the Dimension i have, the high score is over 1 million points. Yes 1 million. The guy i got it from played one game for 8 hours. he kept track of the number of times he rolled it. Yes the game is that easy. for this reason i much prefer 2001. but note you can modify dimension's center targets so they all aren't lit when the associated drops are down. i highly suggest doing that.

#7 9 years ago

I like my Dimension but I want to compare it to 2001 when I get it shopped.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I am a Replay person so I prefer 2001.

That's because you're a wise man.

#9 9 years ago

Dimension is my favorite game and would be the last to go if I ever had to sell my collection. I like 2001 as well but I'm an AAB fan. I don't have a problem with the game being too easy. I have the posts set to their most conservative and it's a blast. 20 drop targets, 5 kick-out holes that change value depending on the status of their respective targets and the center kickout going from 3K points to a WOW if the red and yellow target banks are dropped. Plus the rush of keeping the ball in play once the WOWs are lit because once it drains, the targets reset.
Also, 2001's targets don't reset which is a negative for me.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Like 2001 better than Dimension. Dimension is way too easy. For example, the Dimension i have, the high score is over 1 million points. Yes 1 million. The guy i got it from played one game for 8 hours. he kept track of the number of times he rolled it. Yes the game is that easy. for this reason i much prefer 2001. but note you can modify dimension's center targets so they all aren't lit when the associated drops are down. i highly suggest doing that.

You can have a mega game on "Dimension", but it's a game where you can win lots of extra balls but you can drain them almost as quickly. I've had some stinker games on that machine as well as some marathons. Like "Gold Strike", you know when you reach that "critical mass" point where you're gonna be playing for a while.

#11 9 years ago

Cliff what is the mod you are talking about on dimension. ThanKS

#12 9 years ago

i'd like to see that mod too. i have no use for it though as i rarely get all 4 banks down to lite the 4 center targets. when i do the ball quickly drains as shooting for those 2 or 4 targets (depending on if 2 or all 4 banks are down) can easily rebound the ball straight down between the flippers as i'm sure the game was designed.

#13 9 years ago

I picked em up today. Kind of happy, kind of mad. I listed my 2 Cruisn USAs, for sale or trade. I was contacted with an offer of 3 project pins that need "minor" work for the pair of USAs. Now my gameroom is in the basement so it is an experience getting USAs up the stairs. I knew that there was no way that they were going back down once they came up so I asked for pictures. I got some awful pictures that barely showed the pfs and BGs. But I was okay with what I saw. I asked the question "is there anything majorly wrong with any of them" they said no. I show up and the sharp shooter is shot. he said as soon as I show up that its missing the MPU. At that point I was like uhhhhh, how do you even know that...... He then said that there was a mouse living in the game until this morning....

I was so angry but my insane desire not to bring those beasts back home outweighed my anger. So took the playfeild off of the sharpshooter and brought it to my graveyard. The rest of the cab was listed on CL for free to be picked up tomorrow.

The good news is the Dimension is in nice shape along with the wild card. They will be the first EMs that I will be attempting to repair. I am sure Ill be creating a new thread for them.

#14 9 years ago

Congratulations! Enjoy the 'process' and have fun.

#15 9 years ago

Clay, what are you talking about when you say modify the stand up targets? How would I do that? Thanks
Allen

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

It is possible to reset the drop targets, now !

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/give-your-2001-reset-drop-targets

----------------------------------------------------

Wanted : Dead or Alive - In any condition
Gottlieb SPACE WALK
You find, you win : REWARD USD 500 !

http://www.facebook.com/kangourou.flipper?fref=ts

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

Dimension is my favorite game and would be the last to go if I ever had to sell my collection. I like 2001 as well but I'm an AAB fan. I don't have a problem with the game being too easy. I have the posts set to their most conservative and it's a blast. 20 drop targets, 5 kick-out holes that change value depending on the status of their respective targets and the center kickout going from 3K points to a WOW if the red and yellow target banks are dropped. Plus the rush of keeping the ball in play once the WOWs are lit because once it drains, the targets reset.

Awesome lineup! You don't see many AAB games in Oregon.

#18 9 years ago

I've played thousands of games on dimension and my high score is 245,000.

Perhaps that particular game was set up easy, had hi power flipper coils etc. I've never heard anyone but Clay go on about how that game is too easy.

It's one of the best playing and best looking EMs in my opinion.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Dimension is way too easy.

IF you want to know a AAB pin that is truly too easy, then look at Pop-a-Card.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Gold Strike was easy for me........

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Gold Strike was easy for me........

I'll second that. I had Pop-A-Card for awhile earlier this year and it took me playing it non-stop before I could finally roll it.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Yea, your PaC must be set up too easy. Mine is brutal with so many nasty outlane drains. Mine is fully shopped/restored, so think it plays pretty true to it's original designer's intent.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Awesome lineup! You don't see many AAB games in Oregon.

Thanks. My collection has been pared down over the years to the few that I keep coming back to, so I sold all the rest.

#24 9 years ago

Gold strike is feast or famine. either a really bad game thinking the game is too hard, or one that makes you think the game is too easy.

1 week later
#25 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Dimension is way too easy. For example, the Dimension i have, the high score is over 1 million points. Yes 1 million. The guy i got it from played one game for 8 hours. he kept track of the number of times he rolled it. Yes the game is that easy.

I'll venture to say it wasn't "Dialed in," properly. My Dimension isn't dialed in right either at the moment as it feels like a drain-fest. I do agree the Wow-mode is pretty easy, but even hitting several Wows, I struggle to turn the game over.

On my Dimension, I've eliminated the 2 center Wow targets by wiring the target switches in parallel with their associated pop bumper relay switches, (100, or 1000 during Wow).

My gameroom has no ceiling lighting and felt I needed to "Help out" the General illumination on this one a little. I affixed a #63 bulb socket underneath the top half of the center plastic by tightening it down with a hidden rubber ring post, and running its wiring up through the kicker holes. Now the whole plastic lights up. Very simple, and totally removable without scar. I also wired both pop bumpers to general illumination and use "Ink-spot" caps. They still score 1000 in Wow mode, and my battle is at the bottom half of the playfield anyway.

I agree with Levi...... Dimension is 1 of Gottlieb's best AAB's. Compared to 2001, I really like that Gottlieb separated each bank of targets instead of the "All 20 or nothing" concept for special. Now I have 2 areas to work on. I also hear a lot about Pop a Card, which I feel is an easy game to rack up the Wows with all it's lit targets and rollovers during Wow mode. Makes me think the experienced player dropped his money in these 2 games more than most because of the chance in getting a memorable return on his investment.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

I also hear a lot about Pop a Card, which I feel is an easy game to rack up the Wows with all it's lit targets and rollovers during Wow mode. Makes me think the experienced player dropped his money in these 2 games more than most because of the chance in getting a memorable return on his investment.

My PaC is leaving today for warmer climes in the Carolinas today, but it is just brutal as far as collecting Wows. The upper rollovers are really hard to collect and the lower ones are positioned to either have a side drain if shot too low, or rebound to the opposite side drain if too high. Totally dialed in with nice flat Varathane surface (perhaps this is too nice?). Once in a great while, the ball will randomly hit a few of the wow targets and yes, make a nice satisfying series of "thwacks"! I think this is the way it's suppose to play-making money for the operator and not too easy for the player to get bored. I only rolled the game a few times with hundreds of plays, but it certainly kept me hitting the start button over and over. Sometimes a bit frustrating, but a real challenge since you can't cradle the ball and no inlanes.

As for Dimension, I look forward to working on a pretty rough example I just picked up. Good tip on the extra lighting. I have done similar to several other games to brighten up dark areas.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

My PaC is leaving today

Cool. Room for another game!

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Cool. Room for another game!

Whadayamean? stashyboy has all kinds of room

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Whadayamean? stashyboy has all kinds of room

Yea, you are so right!
20141202_215304.jpg20141202_215304.jpg
see the Dimension lurking in the back?

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

see the Dimension lurking in the back?

No, but I see my Gottlieb Atlantis in the corner.

Ken

3 months later
#31 9 years ago

First time playing Dimension today at Silverball. I really liked it. A lot of drop downs. It also requires some nudging. Similar to the nudging you would have to do on target pool to hit the targets. I might have to put this on my "would like to have list".

#32 9 years ago

If you get the playfield pitch right on this game and the kickers adjusted tight it's a blast. I really like it when you light all 4 cherries. It's a "cherry fest" then.........

#33 9 years ago

Dimension will be the last game to ever leave my collection. Had a Pop-A-Card - it has moved on to a new home. Anyone that had a Dimension that could get 1M had one that was not set up properly. PaC was fun but too difficult for casual players. Getting those drops down on a Dimension is a lot harder than it looks, although you do occasionally get those extended games. However, you have to work for them. I agree with cantbfrank that if you don't nudge, good luck - your scores will generally suck. I have a bunch of great AAB's but Dimension is at the top of the list. A friend has a collection that is insane for collector's games - way more than I could even dream about, but his Dimension is still the
best of the bunch, at least to me. He has a Gold Strike but I much prefer my Target Alpha, as it is more challenging. Yeah, I am an AAB guy (lived in NYS most of my life) but I do enjoy some replay games. Still, it is really hard to beat a good AAB....There is a reason Dimension's tend to be pricey when you find one.... Get yours set up and see what you think. BTW - when we had all 4 banks of targets and the center lit, it was 'Christmas Tree' time! Shooting at that bank of 4 targets in the center when lit is a bit of a sucker bet - if you hit a post, it is STDM! Evil design genius at work there for sure!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-on-a-gottlieb-dimension-and-a-few-more and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.