• I like them both equally 2 votes
    33%
  • I hate both games. 1 vote
    17%

(6 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC04164.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

I've owned both. I prefer Palace Guard by a mile.
Hit either row of 4 snap targets for an extra ball. Hit A-E on top for an extra ball (no need to hit "C" last). The bottom outlanes and center drain are also A-E switches to help build extra balls.
Scoring is more balanced, as there are no 500 point shots. Hitting snap targets either light 10 point pop bumpers or 100 point upper targets. It makes the pop bumper area much more valuable.
It's a classic GTL add-a-ball where you can be on your last ball, terrible score, and have a great ball and build back up a few balls and end up with a great score. You are never out of the game. On Royal Guard, hit the wrong letter on top or miss a 500 point exit and you're pretty much screwed.

That's what makes Royal Guard a tough game.

It's very possible, either by a bounced flipper shot or the pop bumpers, to collect some of those upper letters with other than a plunger shot. It's a good idea sometimes to not just bang away at the snap targets, especially if you've got some of the upper targets lit for 100 points. Sometimes the ball will go up there, right through one of the lanes, and come down through another, and you've collected two of them without a plunger shot at all. Many times I've had all of them but the C lit for the third plunger shot. You can collect three specials if you're good with the plunger shot.

I think it's a great game. Very underrated. I completely restored mine and while it's tough to say never, it would be really, really hard for me to sell it. It was my first complete restoration, and it's a great player to go with it. It can be a drain monster at time, but if you can get the specials lit on the fan targets, you can rack up some games.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Although I live in the add-a-ball land of Wisconsin, I spent a good part of my youth around replay games. Royal Guard was one tough game to beat (and I considered myself a pretty good player). I almost never won a game on score (4500 was the first replay) - always on the snaps or A-E feature. We moved back to Wisconsin - and I hated add-a-balls. It wasn't until I played Palace Guard that I really appreciated the difference. I could score points!
Now, I gravitate toward add-a-balls. To me, it makes more sense to extend a game at home than to win games that are already free.

That's extremely high for the first level. I think 3600 is the factory recommended level, and that's where mine is at. Second level is 4200.

If you score 5000 on this game you're had a really, really good game. It just side drains too easy to keep the ball in play a long time.

I think my highest score on it is right near 7000 and I've only done that one. I've only gotten over 6000 just a handful of times. Most games, even winners, end in the 4000 range.

#26 9 years ago

The one thing I have found about AAB games is what I might not care for in DMD games. Extremely long games/ball times. Maybe I'm just not used to it or I have short attention span theater disease, but playing on and on for one game gets a little dull for me.

I never played AAB games as a kid-we didn't have them around. Really, the PHOF is the first place I played many of them. I was playing one and I just kept adding balls and frankly, after awhile, I was just ready to leave the machine for someone else to play the rest of the balls.

I would suppose that is from a lifetime of playing replay games but I just never found them real compelling to play.

#35 9 years ago

While I'm not really an AAB guy, it would be kind of cool to have a RG and a PG next to each other. Of course, that would probably lead to the question of "why do you have the same game" and the explanation that they really aren't the same wouldn't probably fly.

I almost bought a Flipper Parade once, but I just didn't like it well enough for what he wanted. Lots of restoration on it was needed too.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

For a short time I had Drop-A-Card and Pop-A-Card. I could see having both in a large collection. They were different enough that it was like a completely different game. Both were fun but I preferred PAC.

the drops reset on PAC, don't they, but not on DAC? I've got a DAC on the restore list. Great artwork on that one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-of-royal-guard-vs-palace-guard?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.