• I like them both equally 2 votes
    33%
  • I hate both games. 1 vote
    17%

(6 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC04164.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Straight_Shooter:

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if there were add a ball games that were designed specifically as add a balls.

Sure there are a whole bunch of them in the 60s that were not designed with a replay alternative in mind. The Gottlieb Flipper series. Flipper, Flipper Clown, Flipper Cowboy, Flipper Fair, Flipper Parade... Based on Flipper Cowboy, Buckaroo did come later but it was the modified ruleset this time around. There were quite a few Williams reverse wedgeheads too. Friendship 7, Palooka, Swing Time, Vagabond. I probably missed a couple.

Replay guys love to convince themselves that AAB is only an afterthought. We all have our bias but in my experience some are better than others comparatively. We've all been through this...

I had Royal Guard for a short time and really enjoyed it. I would be so bold as to say that among the Gottliebs I owned it was my favorite player. It sneaks up on you with it's simple but challenging gameplay. It's tough but beatable (on occasion) and very addicting. I have never played Palace Guard but I would suspect this game translates nicely from the replay version. It's tough enough that winning a chance at making a comeback is probably exhilarating. A few of the Gottlieb AAB games I've owned tended to give it away a bit too easily. I doubt that's true with Palace Guard. It's still going to have those killer slings and outlanes.

#27 9 years ago

That's true. Some of them can give it away too easily. But don't judge them all based on playing one or two titles. Some titles are very challenging and winning an added ball is a thrill.

#38 9 years ago

For a short time I had Drop-A-Card and Pop-A-Card. I could see having both in a large collection. They were different enough that it was like a completely different game. Both were fun but I preferred PAC.

#41 9 years ago

Yes, the individual banks reset on PAC.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-of-royal-guard-vs-palace-guard?tu=alexf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.