• Latest reply 11 years ago by aeandreas
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

new-phoenix.jpg
old-phoenix.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bowman9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hello All,

I am looking for feed back from owners and or players of Williams Phoenix (1978)
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1780&picno=5872

I am contemplating rethemeing my Phoenix, but instead of just adding new graphics I was thinking of changing/updating the layout some.

I would not be changing any of the code (that is beyond me), so the original rules would remain in place.

The game is pretty basic there are five rollovers at the top (actually four, 1 and 5 are the same), complete the five rollovers to spell P-h-o-e-n-i-x and advance the value of the lefthand bullseye target. There are two sets of 4 drop targets (left and right) when either are completed they will advance the bonus multiplier. There is a spinner on the right side that increases in value when lite and two single drop targets in the center that reset when the 2 and 4 rollovers or the inlanes are triggered.

Like I said a pretty basic game no real bells and whistles.

Here are the changes I would like to make in hopes of making the game a little more interesting - (hopefully the before and after images attached correctly).
The five rollovers at the top would now be four stand up targets placed throughout the play field. The three rollovers that would take their place would just be low point value switches.

The bullseye target would become a ramp (ramp shown from Party Zone), I have not decided on where/how the ball would re-enter back on to the playfield, maybe you have an idea.

The two sets of four drop targets would just be moved slightly.As well as the single drop targets and pop-bumpers.

I would like to add a "spinning post disc" like in TOTAN to the (off) center of the play field to make the ramp shot and the 1-4 stand up shots harder. I am not sure what points value I would give the "spinning post disc" it may just be a low value switch (if it gets hit alot) or replace the old spinner.

This is project is still in the pre-pre-planning stages so there is no deadline.

Let me know what you think.
Bowman 9
Old Layout Left - New Layout Right

old-phoenix.jpgold-phoenix.jpg new-phoenix.jpgnew-phoenix.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Yeah, it's kinda hard to judge what others will say.
Re-themes can be a touchy subject, but I am still looking for input on the new layout.

#5 11 years ago

Nothing is being removed.
I just have not decided where the inserts (lights) will go yet, it makes the play field look sparse in comparison.

3 weeks later
#6 11 years ago

Because I would like to add the spinning post disc and all new artwork I am having trouble finding room for all the inserts/lights on the playfield, do you think would be ok or bad to remove duplicate inserts?

By duplicate I mean the letters in the word Phoenix, P and H are both worth 10K, O and E are both worth 20K, N and I are both worth 30K, the X is worth 40K. So by this logic I could get rid of 3 inserts to allow for more room above and below the playfield.

Any thoughts?

2 months later
#8 11 years ago

I still have not finished the insert layout yet.
I have some rough mock-up artwork I would like to use, but it fights for the space where I would like to place the new inserts. So when I try and move the inserts they fight for space with the mounting brackets underneath the play field.
It seems to be an endless cycle.

Sure I can send you a copy of the original play field layout.
Just to be clear there is no artwork, it is just a layout of the holes in the play field like the image in my first posted above.

What format would you like the file in?

Oh, I would strongly recommend test printing the file first to confirm that everything lines up correctly with your Phoenix play field before adding your new artwork, just in case there are any differences or errors.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from aeandreas:

How are you going to get the new artwork onto your playfield?

I have not figured that part out yet, I might do a vinyl wrap/overlay or see what John Greatwich would charge for a direct print - http://greatpinball.com/services.html

But most likely it will end up being an overlay of some kind.

Bowman

#13 11 years ago

Is this with your new artwork or still using the old as reference?

How did things lineup, remember I would strongly recommend test printing the file first to confirm that everything lines up correctly with your Phoenix play field before adding your new artwork, just in case there are any differences or errors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bowman9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-of-phoenix-play-field-layout?tu=Bowman9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.