Opinions of LAH

By DrainO

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Looking for impressions, and fair pricing. What are your thoughts?

#2 11 years ago

imo, tied for the best DE pin. i consider it TSPP of its time. its a very deep rewarding game. with that being said, it doesnt get the respect it deserves because of the theme and backglass. it can usually be had for 1500 and less, but if i had a really nice example pop up around me, id drop 2500 on it in a second

#3 11 years ago

Well it's a DE but a fun game. If you can nail one around 1400 that's great...1500 ok. 1800 for a great looker and you'll be able to sleep at night probably. I'd put it around the same prices as JP and it's probably a better game...arguably though.
Look for wear in the ticket where the magnets are, and scoop wear. A game like LAH is not my favorite game, but put up against a HS2 there's a ton more to do IMO. I'd trade a HS2 for 1 in a second.

#4 11 years ago

I had one for about a year and enjoyed it. I probably could have been happy with it for another year, but was taking it to a show and I figured I would put a price on it. It sold.

Even though I still had some fun to get out of it...with my limited space, I doubt I would re-buy one unless it was a really sweet deal. Still...lots of fun to be had in the game as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure if it were a B/W game and had a more accepted theme it would be a top title.

#5 11 years ago

Should've snagged one up when they were only $1k.

#6 11 years ago

Well, I've got about 2k to spend on a pin at the moment. Will likely just save it up, and put toward a better title.

#7 11 years ago

I had one and I loved it. Although it is a DE, it is a lot of fun.

#8 11 years ago

This question comes up more than any other machine lately. I'll just post my review instead of going on about it again:

“The single most valued pin out there. One of the deepest pins of the 90s as well. LAH is a crap load of fun, with 10 regular modes, all of which are for the most part interesting and diverse. There is an add ball mode, where hitting the movie targets continues to add balls to the mode; Big Mistake, where you have to hit the drop targets, then stand up eyeball targets, then the main scoop; find Benedict , where you have to shoot the three scoops to locate where he is hiding.... and so on and so on.

After that, there is the additional three modes to complete “Last”, “Action”, and “Hero”, which starts a 6 ball TZ LITZ like MB, which is timed, but can be extended, where you have to hit so many targets in a short period of time. Completing all modes then will start the Movie Premiere finale which is fun final mode.

The Crane toy with shaker motor, which locks balls, and is used for the super jackpot shots is a cool addition. The regular MB, which is started on the third ball, or by being advanced with the movie targets, is a three ball (however locking balls previously adds to this) MB where you have to hit the ramp for the jackpot. After this, it enables the crane shot, as the crane moves over with the super jackpot lit, and making this releases all 6 balls.

All MBs, which are many in this game, have the TAF style magnets firing the balls around, adding to the challenge. There are 5 drop targets which need to be hit to enable the crane to move over to lock balls (this is only one of many crane applications in the game though). These locked balls do not lead to the main MB, like in most games, but add additional balls into play when the MB is reached (IE if you lock 2, you get a 5 ball MB instead of a 3 to start). If, while shooting the drop targets, you miss, there is a long target behind the drops, which resets all the drops, and you have to start from scratch.

It has definitely been a product of all the Williams games to that point (TAF magnets, scoops, relighting ramps, T2 ball shooter start, F14 kicker), but it does it so well, and with a ton more play and things to do than I already mentioned, that this game may be the deepest game to come out of the 90s PERIOD.

The only poor thing I can say about it, and it is without a doubt very poor, is the translite. I am planning on having a graphic designer make another for mine.

If you get a chance, buy this machine. You cannot go wrong. Interestingly this game fluctuates within the top 20 on the IPBD, but is in the 80-90s on Pinside.”

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from DrainO:

Well, I've got about 2k to spend on a pin at the moment. Will likely just save it up, and put toward a better title.

You could spend more money on many games that aren't as much fun as LAH. Of course, if you have an "A-list" or "Bally/Williams" -only mindset, that's your prerogative.

Also, FYI, you can easily get more opinions on this (or any) game by just looking up LAH here on Pinside. Right now there are 28 ratings comments in the Pinside system, more than you'll get in this thread. For even more comments, go to ipdb.org and check out the comments there (currently 56 comments there).

For pricing, bostonpinball.biz has regularly-updated ebay sales data, which tends to be a pretty good reflection of market prices.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

This question comes up more than any other machine lately. I'll just post my review instead of going on about it again:
“The single most valued pin out there. One of the deepest pins of the 90s as well. LAH is a crap load of fun, with 10 regular modes, all of which are for the most part interesting and diverse. There is an add ball mode, where hitting the movie targets continues to add balls to the mode; Big Mistake, where you have to hit the drop targets, then stand up eyeball targets, then the main scoop; find Benedict , where you have to shoot the three scoops to locate where he is hiding.... and so on and so on.
After that, there is the additional three modes to complete “Last”, “Action”, and “Hero”, which starts a 6 ball TZ LITZ like MB, which is timed, but can be extended, where you have to hit so many targets in a short period of time. Completing all modes then will start the Movie Premiere finale which is fun final mode.
The Crane toy with shaker motor, which locks balls, and is used for the super jackpot shots is a cool addition. The regular MB, which is started on the third ball, or by being advanced with the movie targets, is a three ball (however locking balls previously adds to this) MB where you have to hit the ramp for the jackpot. After this, it enables the crane shot, as the crane moves over with the super jackpot lit, and making this releases all 6 balls.
All MBs, which are many in this game, have the TAF style magnets firing the balls around, adding to the challenge. There are 5 drop targets which need to be hit to enable the crane to move over to lock balls (this is only one of many crane applications in the game though). These locked balls do not lead to the main MB, like in most games, but add additional balls into play when the MB is reached (IE if you lock 2, you get a 5 ball MB instead of a 3 to start). If, while shooting the drop targets, you miss, there is a long target behind the drops, which resets all the drops, and you have to start from scratch.
It has definitely been a product of all the Williams games to that point (TAF magnets, scoops, relighting ramps, T2 ball shooter start, F14 kicker), but it does it so well, and with a ton more play and things to do than I already mentioned, that this game may be the deepest game to come out of the 90s PERIOD.
The only poor thing I can say about it, and it is without a doubt very poor, is the translite. I am planning on having a graphic designer make another for mine.
If you get a chance, buy this machine. You cannot go wrong. Interestingly this game fluctuates within the top 20 on the IPBD, but is in the 80-90s on Pinside.”

There is nothing more to add...

sold my 99.9% perfect one for 1800, and regret it till this day...

I will probably never find one as nice again...

the game is so much fun, and has AC/DC and Megadeth sound tracks in it...

how can you go wrong...

Buy it ...live it....love it...

#11 11 years ago

The one I'm looking at appears to be very nice. He sent detail pics. No wear on the ticket, with just minor wear at the two scoops. A cliffy, if he makes them for it, would take care of it. Other that that, it looks great.

#12 11 years ago

yup, he makes 'em for all three scoops, $1300 or under -> buy!buy!buy!

#13 11 years ago

Was waiting for herb to chime in about this title

#14 11 years ago

He wants 1700

There's my hesitation

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Was waiting for herb to chime in about this title

hahahah yeah, I can never resist

#16 11 years ago

How much of the hesitation of the potential buyer is the licensing vs actual gameplay? It seems like Last Action Hero is not exactly on anyone's top ten movies of all time. I guess it's an age-old question: How important is the licensed property/theme (or lack thereof) compared to actual play.

There are probably very good pinball machines that I can't really get into because the theme is just that bad. There was a Dr. Dude pin at the cardroom in Salem I'd frequent and I'd never play it because the theme was just so cheesy.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

There are probably very good pinball machines that I can't really get into because the theme is just that bad.

Indeed. WCS94 for me. Fantastic gameplay and layout, not my kinda theme. Dr Dude is a great theme to me as a nod to the cheese and excess of the 80's, rat tail and all
LAH is a very fun DE and hard to find in really nice shape. They got played to death on route so, of course, I make protectors to bring them back to nice looking playable condition
http://www.passionforpinball.com/lah.htm

#18 11 years ago

I have a nice LAH for trade in so cal..=)

#19 11 years ago

I owned one for a few years. It was a fun game. Tons going on. I sold it for around $1100 which was a fair price. I wouldn't hesitate to get one again.

Some people think it is so good, they thought it could fly and threw it off the roof of their building a couple of years ago (see 55 seconds in).

Funny how this game goes from dumpster trash to collectible in the matter of two years. LAH was always one of the most hated titles on RGP and I never really understood it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-of-lah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.