(Topic ID: 146724)

Opinions needed on 6.3V LED Strips, please.

By OLDPINGUY

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should all Strips be Frosted”

• All should be frosted 7 votes
      47%
    • Only Natural White, Warm White, and Purple? in frosted 2 votes
      13%
    • All should be Black and clear 0 votes
    • All should be Black and frosted 3 votes
      20%
    • All should stay white and clear as it is now. 1 vote
      7%
    • Only Natural White, Warm White, and Purple? be Black and frosted 2 votes
      13%

(15 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

I am in need of opinions, to help with a decision that needs to be made.

Likely, most of us are familiar with LED strips added to your games.

With matrix, we have added, 10, 20, and 50 SMD in 6.3V.

Much of these are used on ones Apron, and the longer, on the back splash.

I have created a new version, that I am in need of opinions, as I really dont want to stock everything times 3.

The first version is a new Frosted strips.
    like a Frosted SMD bulb, we have created the flexible waterproof coating in Frosted!

What this does is soften and diffuse the light, dropping the brightness a bit, around 20%.
    Its easier on the eye, if one happens to look into them on an apron.

It also cuts down, but does not eliminate, glare completely, when used in a Back splash, say like a Shadow.

So what are your thoughts on frosted? Should I change all products over, or just add white and purple...the ones used more in this application?

Has anyone had spotting when used in GI plastic area or MOD?

My second question is background color.

While our new Micro strips should be black, what about the remainder of the strips?

Should I make just frosted whites and purple in Black, or should all be changed to black?

How does black look on ones apron compared to white, in your mind.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Art

#2 8 years ago

Oh boy looks like more LEDs in my future ,I really want to try some frosted strips top light up the city on the backboard of my who-dunnit i tried some cool whites and purple strips but there was to much glare

#3 8 years ago

Don't know if it is even possible but it sure would be great for the strips to be clear.

If not clear the black would match much better than white.

As for the light. If you can't stock both then my vote is clear. Easy to frost them ourselves if needed but you can't make a frosted on clear after the fact.

I still want ice blue and daylight bulbs with the ghost buster option. Beggers can't be chosers though

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Don't know if it is even possible but it sure would be great for the strips to be clear.
    If not clear the black would match much better than white.
    As for the light. If you can't stock both then my vote is clear. Easy to frost them ourselves if needed but you can't make a frosted on clear after the fact.
    I still want ice blue and daylight bulbs with the ghost buster option. Beggers can't be chosers though

Thanks for the feedback. Ill check on clear...but I dont think so.....
    As hard as I tried, I could not self frost a strip...I tried sanding and Acetone...no luck on the Epoxy resin.
    Do you have a method?

Ice Blue and Sunlight will show up in NG next year, Ice Blue will be available in Twin 2835, Protos on my desk are phenomenal!
    A New color is being worked on.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A New color is being worked on.

Sweet. I hope it's black LEDs.

#7 8 years ago

argg, I was just about to order, now I am thinking I should wait

#8 8 years ago

These wont arrive until approx. March or April........

#9 8 years ago

Art, I switched over to you earlier this year; when I went full LED in my newly restored TAF. I really like the 6.3 LED strip. I've used them in 3-4 places (swamp, thing hand, topper). Given the option, I would have gone the "frosted route". On the current strips, I had to relocate or remove some due to unwanted glare. As for what to frost, my thoughts; White (ice,sunlight), Red, Green, Blue, Purple.

As for the color of the strips, I think they could all go black (I think it would blend better).

Let me know if you need any testers!

#10 8 years ago

I've used cloudy scotch tape to diffuse them when installed on aprons to light the flipper area more. Did dial the brightness down, but not enough that the awful reflection on the DMD was eliminated.

I've concluded that LED strips weren't meant to be installed behind flippers because it's not worth seeing their reflection in the DMD.

#11 8 years ago

Ill have to check, but I think with a Glare Guard they are different.....pics and testing will be happening.....

#12 8 years ago

I had to make my own diffuser for a light strip I added to the back of my Getaway pointed down at the playfield. There was just too much glare and light spread was not smooth. It was plenty bright so that was not an issue. I put a few others under plastics with no spotting. I like the brightness under plastics but I think it would still look good frosted. Maybe keep a neutral white in clear as an option just in case.

#13 8 years ago

Have you tied an adhesive frosted/etched vinyl? The kind used to made frosted window graphics? I got several samples from a local sign/graphics shop for another project.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from e_lectro:

Have you tied an adhesive frosted/etched vinyl? The kind used to made frosted window graphics? I got several samples from a local sign/graphics shop for another project.

A good suggestion as is others on how to self diffuse a strip.

These are definitely coming, and I'm leaning towards the frosted being in all black. (I like the look!)

Hopefully, We can tidy up here and get this going before the break.

Thank you, and please keep throwing ideas out....

I have a few neat ones so far from your input! Thanks!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

As hard as I tried, I could not self frost a strip...I tried sanding and Acetone...no luck on the Epoxy resin.
    Do you have a method?

MEK is the enemy of Epoxy, so that is what I would try.

Do it outdoors, with gloves on; nasty stuff.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-needed-on-63v-led-strips-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.